Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Decius posted:

Newt isn't Trump's Running Mate, sonwe are in a middling timeline at best.

no, watching yet another straight-man conservative get humiliated and discredited while newt pretends he's not mad is fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
okay im really sure i dont understand 538s methodology at this point

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

zoux posted:

Does Silver's polls plus model account for being unable to get a thread full of goons to Arzy about losing in the face of all contrary evidence? That seems like a pretty reliable indicator.

I don't really see how discussing the ways in which Trump can win counts as "trolling." Again I don't think it's likelier than Clinton winning, but the oooh-rah confidence of some goons here is a little weird in light of what recent polling trends indicate, which is a tight and still uncertain race with a lack of consistent state-level polling.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Xandu posted:

Honestly the biggest story to me is she couldn't come up with anything personal to say about her husband. It comes off like she barely knows him.

it's more like whoever wrote that speech couldn't come up with anything personal to say, she had nothing to do with it and she'd probably rather have not given the speech in the first place

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really see how discussing the ways in which Trump can win counts as "trolling." Again I don't think it's likelier than Clinton winning, but the oooh-rah confidence of some goons here is a little weird in light of what recent polling trends indicate, which is a tight and still uncertain race with a lack of consistent state-level polling.

Because we've been through like 6 plus of these elections and we know how things shake out in November.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

it's more like whoever wrote that speech couldn't come up with anything personal to say, she had nothing to do with it and she'd probably rather have not given the speech in the first place

if the article on Trumps ghostwriter is anything to go by, its because theres nothing to say about the man. hes a one-dimensional cartoon character of a human being

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
If enough people tweet to Donald Trump's account that Manafort is blaming his wife for his own incompetent speech management, will he believe it and fire Manafort in an impulsive rage? Has a way been found to Stump the Trump?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

News outlets don't have to use strong words like "ripped off" and "plagiarized" in headlines because all they have to do is post the side by side quotes. Like a Trumpernaut or garden-variety conservative likely wouldn't click on "Melania blatantly steals First Lady's speech!" but would click on something like "These speeches look pretty similar"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Corey's revenge.

https://twitter.com/RosieGray/status/755420147205169152

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

OTOH you are encouraging us all to freak the gently caress out over mid July polling in the middle of the RNC. USPol would probably be a lot more receptive.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:master:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Plagiarism on a stage like this isn't a world-ender like it is in academia, and the fact that it wasn't Trump himself who did it will ensure that.

But it is embarrassing for Melania Trump and the people that wrote her speech, and the fact that they work for an insane orange baby man who likes firing people means their lives are about to get very hard.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

eheheheh

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Obama polled on average 2.5% ahead of Romney up through election night, where he ended up winning by about 4% nationally. On the day of the election, 538 gave Obama about a 90% chance of winning according to their model. Good chances, but if I said that if you had a 10% chance of being struck by lightning when you walked outside today, you'd probably stay indoors.

You are listing numbers and statistics and not considering the context those numbers exist in. Ignoring, for a second, that 4% is literally millions of votes and not close at all, Obama's national average painted a picture of an election he could reasonably lose while the electoral math painted a picture of an election where he couldn't. 538 listed the chances at 90% for two reasons; 1. There was a chance all the pollsters were polling completely wrong 2. Nate didn't want to have to explain to people why he was putting down a 100% chance of Obama victory for an election that appears to a layman to be a horse race. It was mostly #1 and they were upfront about that.

quote:

Clinton's RCP lead over Trump is on average 2.7%, with a lot more uncertainty in the form of undecideds and third party candidates. Her current RCPs lead in PA (3.2%) OH (1.8%) and FL (.6%) are within striking distance of Trump depending on state-level fluctuations and even slight increases in the national vote. In a scenario where it's 50/50 on election night, Clinton's blue lean over Trump in Pennsylvania is only .5% relative to the national polling. That gap is well within the realm of possibility of Trump to overcome due to any number of statistical variations in voter turnout and national trends. It's more unlikely than Clinton winning, but to say it's not possible is perhaps somewhat premature.

None of this matters, though, because of how that average is factored. That average represents the national polling average which is not representative of what one actually needs to win on election day. Trump's problem is that he is not maintaining numbers like this in states he absolutely needs to win and in the states he needs that are "close" (Ohio, Pennsylvania) his numbers aren't budging past what Romney got in those states, which is bad news, since Romney lost them both and Trump has a much smaller portion of capturable undecideds in this election. If he's not significantly budging the white vote it is literally impossible for him to win these states and if he was going to move the white vote in these states by the margins he needs to we would be seeing it happening.

If Trump does not manage to swing positive in these states after the convention he will not win them, period. It is entirely possible he is at his ceiling in these places right now. I am not saying a Trump win is completely impossible, but it would take some pretty shockingly unlikely scenarios playing out for this to go in his favor. Either that, or all the pollsters have to be wrong. Generally Nate gives that about a 10% chance.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

iospace posted:

A good tl;dr got linked a few pages back:

Jesus did he really talk about the oval office meme on stage

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:cawg:

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Alter Ego posted:

I don't recall anyone predicting a massive blowout, but a 100+ EV victory is a pretty robust victory, so :confused:

I recall bunch of posters fantasising about insane landslides. Maybe they just stood out more, but that's what I remember.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

I'm guessing he had the biggest poo poo-eating Cheshire Cat grin on his face while he said this?
Ear to ear while doing this: :jerkbag:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ahahaaha

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

News outlets don't have to use strong words like "ripped off" and "plagiarized" in headlines because all they have to do is post the side by side quotes. Like a Trumpernaut or garden-variety conservative likely wouldn't click on "Melania blatantly steals First Lady's speech!" but would click on something like "These speeches look pretty similar"

Morning Joe (I know, I know) actually did a decent job of this. They just played the speeches side-by-side and said "Yeah that pretty much speaks for itself, regardless of what Trump's people say."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

euphronius posted:

Because we've been through like 6 plus of these elections and we know how things shake out in November.

Are you saying that to make me feel better, or you?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

Apparently their new strategy is to be super biased and get things wrong.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Mirthless had a better answer anyway

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/mlcalderone/status/755421464812220416

#BringBackLewandowski

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Todays convention theme has now been changed to "sneering conservatively while listing off problems the country has that are worse than plagiarism"

I haven't seen a second of footage but I know I'm 100 percent correct.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

spunkshui posted:

Apparently their new strategy is to be super biased and get things wrong.

i dont even think its that

like i dont read them with any kind of regularity so idk what black box theyre feeding this date into to get the numbers they do and nate silver just pops up from time to time to say, "trump got hisself a poll where he isnt losing, five thousand points to gryffindor"

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bryter posted:

Yeah, it' probably a coincidence that she expressed the same sentiments as Michelle Obama, using the same words, in the same order.

I have seen all the videos it was similar words but not exact. Also she has that accent which makes it sound more trusting.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mirthless posted:

You are listing numbers and statistics and not considering the context those numbers exist in. Ignoring, for a second, that 4% is literally millions of votes and not close at all, Obama's national average painted a picture of an election he could reasonably lose while the electoral math painted a picture of an election where he couldn't. 538 listed the chances at 90% for two reasons; 1. There was a chance all the pollsters were polling completely wrong 2. Nate didn't want to have to explain to people why he was putting down a 100% chance of Obama victory for an election that appears to a layman to be a horse race. It was mostly #1 and they were upfront about that.

None of this matters, though, because of how that average is factored. That average represents the national polling average which is not representative of what one actually needs to win on election day. Trump's problem is that he is not maintaining numbers like this in states he absolutely needs to win and in the states he needs that are "close" (Ohio, Pennsylvania) his numbers aren't budging past what Romney got in those states, which is bad news, since Romney lost them both and Trump has a much smaller portion of capturable undecideds in this election. If he's not significantly budging the white vote it is literally impossible for him to win these states and if he was going to move the white vote in these states by the margins he needs to we would be seeing it happening.

If Trump does not manage to swing positive in these states after the convention he will not win them, period. It is entirely possible he is at his ceiling in these places right now. I am not saying a Trump win is completely impossible, but it would take some pretty shockingly unlikely scenarios playing out for this to go in his favor. Either that, or all the pollsters have to be wrong. Generally Nate gives that about a 10% chance.

Hmm. Why do you think Nate is giving him a better chance than Romney?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

zoux posted:

OTOH you are encouraging us all to freak the gently caress out over mid July polling in the middle of the RNC. USPol would probably be a lot more receptive.

You keep saying that people are telling you to freak out and stop laughing at Republicans, but that isn't actually what's happening.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Trump's campaign is apparently saying no one is being fired over this. Amazing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Does Trump still dream in his golden keep

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Election Update: Clinton’s Lead Is As Safe As Kerry’s Was In 2004

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bryter posted:

You keep saying that people are telling you to freak out and stop laughing at Republicans, but that isn't actually what's happening.

exquisite tea posted:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

exquisite tea posted:

Obama polled on average 2.5% ahead of Romney up through election night, where he ended up winning by about 4% nationally. On the day of the election, 538 gave Obama about a 90% chance of winning according to their model. Good chances, but if I said that if you had a 10% chance of being struck by lightning when you walked outside today, you'd probably stay indoors. Obama was also a well-liked incumbent with a proven voter turnout operation and a gift for campaigning.

If you want an election where the opponent has single digit chances of winning you have to look to Kazakhstan, Russia, or today's Egypt. Even in Iran there were election upsets recently. Generally, in a democracy the other side has a 30 % chance even in the most adverse circumstances (and that's not even getting into multi-party systems and coalitions). Trump taking a naturally 50 % chance down to 35 % during his best time in polls is an accomplishment in itself.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The GOP has been doing this poo poo for a while, but the way the Trump campaign seems to jump on the whole "cut off your nose to spite your face and get a facebook meme level burn in on a liberal" like a starved tiger is amazing.

Its Benghazis all the way down. This didn't turn out the way we wanted so instead of engaging with reality in any way, lets just sit around acting shocked that no one else is interested and call it a conspiracy.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

iospace posted:

A good tl;dr got linked a few pages back:

I just want to take a minute to thank Donald Trump, from the bottom of my heart, for bringing the phrase "illegals" back to the Republican Party

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

in this election season, I don't think they do either

this election honestly is just so baffling and goes against conventional wisdom at practically every turn

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Did Kerry ever actually lead in 2004? I recall him coming very close around the convention, but RCP consistently had Bush +1 or Bush +2 in the aggregates.

I remember some lovely exit polling that suggested Kerry was winning, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TheTatteredKing posted:

Hmm. Why do you think Nate is giving him a better chance than Romney?

there's a whole lot more uncertainty this year both in terms of self-described undecideds and especially in terms of we have no idea who the hell is actually going to bother to show up to vote this year

• Locked thread