Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BiohazrD posted:

I-10 is like, 14 lanes now right? How do you clog up that many lanes. How many loving people commute downtown jesus christ

Actually, lately the reverse commute has been even worse lately: http://purple.city/2015/01/06/edge-cities/

I've worked at 3 different places over the last 5 years in Houston, and have always had to commute out to a suburb from where I live in the city. Right now I'm schlepping my rear end 40 miles north to work in the Woodlands, actually. The problem with Houston isn't that so many people commute downtown, it's that employers are all over the place and low-density housing is everywhere, so unless you can move to be close to each job you're going to be commuting.

Reverse commuting on I-45 is way less bad than reverse commuting on I-10, though. It feels like everyone and their dog lives inside 610 and commutes to outside Beltway 8 near Katy for work.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

quote:

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Thursday pressed Barack Obama over his support for law enforcement following recent violence involving police, telling the president "words matter" in his responses to such incidents.

In a town hall discussion organized by ABC, Patrick asked Obama to "consider being careful when there is an incident not being too quick to condemn the police without due process until the facts are known."

"I have been unequivocal in condemning any rhetoric directed at police officers, so I think you’d have to find any message that did not include a very strong support for law enforcement in all my utterances dating back to Ferguson," Obama replied, referring to the Missouri city where an unarmed black teenager was fatally shot by a white police officer in 2014. "Because I rely on law enforcement to protect me and my family just like everybody."

"So I appreciate the sentiment," Obama added. "I think it’s already been expressed. But I’ll be happy to send it to you in case you missed it."

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/07/14/patrick-presses-obama-over-support-police/

Goddamn :eyepop:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

Actually, lately the reverse commute has been even worse lately: http://purple.city/2015/01/06/edge-cities/

I've worked at 3 different places over the last 5 years in Houston, and have always had to commute out to a suburb from where I live in the city. Right now I'm schlepping my rear end 40 miles north to work in the Woodlands, actually. The problem with Houston isn't that so many people commute downtown, it's that employers are all over the place and low-density housing is everywhere, so unless you can move to be close to each job you're going to be commuting.

Reverse commuting on I-45 is way less bad than reverse commuting on I-10, though. It feels like everyone and their dog lives inside 610 and commutes to outside Beltway 8 near Katy for work.

I got a job offer out at barker cypress and i10 and the drive to my house back downtown, at 3:30 PM, made me think reaaaaaaaaaal long and hard about if unemployment is really as unbearable as I think it is.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
Katy, Cy-Fair, Northside. I bet those Austin kids are Anderson or Austin High, not Travis. loving white people, man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/753747915269509122

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Do we know if Dan Patrick was asked to be there or if he volunteered?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Do we know if Dan Patrick was asked to be there or if he volunteered?

I like to think Obama is just sick of him and was like, this motherfucker needs to be dealt with before he claws his way up any higher.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also, did his rant about how BLM is to blame get national coverage?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Also, did his rant about how BLM is to blame get national coverage?

Oh yeah. The "hypocrites" thing was everywhere.

Unrelated: two of the Nice victims were Lakeway residents so it's going to be fun watching the state GOP pretend that, for narrative purposes, the attack happened in Texas.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 15, 2016

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
How legit is the BLM protest scare going around downtown Austin today? AKA Why is everyone freaked out about a protest? AKA Why is my office shutting down early for "safety reasons"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

How legit is the BLM protest scare going around downtown Austin today? AKA Why is everyone freaked out about a protest? AKA Why is my office shutting down early for "safety reasons"?

What time are y'all closing? What building are you in?

If you don't work at the capitol complex at all I don't know what you'd have to worry about. Traffic is going to be a nightmare though, maybe that's the consideration?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

zoux posted:

What time are y'all closing? What building are you in?

If you don't work at the capitol complex at all I don't know what you'd have to worry about. Traffic is going to be a nightmare though, maybe that's the consideration?

I'm a bit down Congress at 9th and we're closing at 3pm, the same time I think the Preservation folks are encouraging people to close Capitol offices. But I think they're worried maybe some of their new glass will get smashed?

I have this kind of gut feeling that this is scaremongering, but I don't think I'm going to try and argue the point - Had someone tell me that BLM protesters have threatened to kill cops on 6th? Like this poo poo just sounds ridiculous.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm a bit down Congress at 9th and we're closing at 3pm, the same time I think the Preservation folks are encouraging people to close Capitol offices. But I think they're worried maybe some of their new glass will get smashed?

I have this kind of gut feeling that this is scaremongering, but I don't think I'm going to try and argue the point - Had someone tell me that BLM protesters have threatened to kill cops on 6th? Like this poo poo just sounds ridiculous.

I haven't heard poo poo about that. People have been freaking out about this since Wednesday at the least, I'm assuming it's mostly rumor and hyperbole.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I saw something about it in the freep thread. Seems according to Snopes a similar rumor went around in 2014, but if enough people do think it to be true and show up, I guess it becomes a thing regardless of its beginnings.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Chango
12oz plastic cup
2 limes
Finely crushed ice
Chili powder
Sturdy straw

Fill cup 2/3 with ice and sprinkle a layer of chili powder. Top with more ice, give it a nice snow cone head over the rim, sprinkle another layer of chili powder.
Cut your limes in half and juice them over the chili and ice to fill the cup.
Stick it with your straw and enjoy.

You can also use sour pickle juice instead of limes and I like to use Tajin as the chili powder personally.
And if you're feeling like an alcoholic piece of poo poo throw in an ounce of vodka or tequila.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

ReidRansom posted:

I saw something about it in the freep thread. Seems according to Snopes a similar rumor went around in 2014, but if enough people do think it to be true and show up, I guess it becomes a thing regardless of its beginnings.

I just can't imagine Austin BLM would be put forth the effort, honestly; the one BLM protest I've seen here was one person holding up a sign and 5 or 6 people sitting in the shade behind her looking bored.

I'm envisioning this uber-scary protest being 10 or 12 people holding a banner up in front of the Capitol grounds south gate with a bunch of people playing Pokemon GO on the grounds for contrast.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Chango
12oz plastic cup
2 limes
Finely crushed ice
Chili powder
Sturdy straw

Fill cup 2/3 with ice and sprinkle a layer of chili powder. Top with more ice, give it a nice snow cone head over the rim, sprinkle another layer of chili powder.
Cut your limes in half and juice them over the chili and ice to fill the cup.
Stick it with your straw and enjoy.

You can also use sour pickle juice instead of limes and I like to use Tajin as the chili powder personally.
And if you're feeling like an alcoholic piece of poo poo throw in an ounce of vodka or tequila.

how do two limes fill a 12 oz. cup and why does the original recipe not contain alcohol

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

gently caress off hippies

Update: apparently someone lit the nut job beacon on this story and the Facebook discussion is full of people talking about "medical liberty" and how the measles isn't that bad, really.

Texas Tribune Facebook is usually pretty normal I assume it just got posted on same antivaxxer forum.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Charles Get-Out posted:

I just can't imagine Austin BLM would be put forth the effort, honestly; the one BLM protest I've seen here was one person holding up a sign and 5 or 6 people sitting in the shade behind her looking bored.

I'm envisioning this uber-scary protest being 10 or 12 people holding a banner up in front of the Capitol grounds south gate with a bunch of people playing Pokemon GO on the grounds for contrast.

yeah there are probably more black people in Pflugerville than Austin now, i really don't think they can muster a real crowd

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Update: apparently someone lit the nut job beacon on this story and the Facebook discussion is full of people talking about "medical liberty" and how the measles isn't that bad, really.

Texas Tribune Facebook is usually pretty normal I assume it just got posted on same antivaxxer forum.

Curate that poo poo for my perusal dog

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Curate that poo poo for my perusal dog

https://www.facebook.com/texastribune/posts/10154157060885837

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aliquid posted:

how do two limes fill a 12 oz. cup and why does the original recipe not contain alcohol

Maybe it was an 8oz cup also it's filled with ice? i dunno I'm bad with details.

e;
And it's hot as gently caress, give me a break.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Aliquid posted:

yeah there are probably more black people in Pflugerville than Austin now, i really don't think they can muster a real crowd

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/why-it-matters-that-austins-black-population-is-being-pushed-to-the-suburbs/

In case anyone was wondering why

Gentrification

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/dallasnews/status/753995393273327618

:whitewater:

https://twitter.com/BOR/status/754000730504073216
Black lives? Not so much.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 15, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Monkey's Paw strikes again.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Aliquid posted:

He was a little vague but it's a common snow cone flavoring

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh it's a snow cone! there's the volume i was looking for

needs a tablespoon of salt and a dos equis in there imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/755049874341634048

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
So

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...k-it/?tid=sm_tw

The group quoted from page 248 of the textbook:

“Industrialists were very driven, competitive men who were always on the clock and continually concerned about efficiency. They were used to their workers putting in a full day’s work, quietly and obediently, and respecting rules, authority, and property. In contrast, Mexican laborers were not reared to put in a full day’s work so vigorously. There was a cultural attitude of ‘mañana,’ or ‘tomorrow,’ when it came to high-gear production.”

Board member David Bradley, R-Beaumont, who opposed asking for a Mexican-American studies course and textbook, said the proposed book seems fine.

“It’s really kind of amusing. The left-leaning, radical Hispanic activists, having pounded the table for special treatment, get approval for a special course that nobody else wanted,” Bradley said. “Now they don’t like their special textbook? I bet they want everyone to also get an A for just attending? The one thing we can’t fix in this world is unhappy people.”

Celina Moreno, an attorney with the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund, said in an interview Monday. “It’s not only highly offensive, but it’s filled with factual inaccuracies. Even though this is supposed to be about Mexican-American heritage, much of the book actually talks about Latinos of other ethnicities. The publishers don’t know the difference between a Mexican and a Chilean.”

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The good ol days of the industrial revolution, when workers knew their place, you see.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jtilovetx/status/755384444677132288

Erm...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Between this and waving the Terrible Towel in Cleveland, are we sure that Paul Ryan actually knows how sports work

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

uhh....

lol

In other news, rural assholes scored a minor victory in their fight against progress

quote:

On Monday afternoon the Surface Transportation Board (STB) officially declined to get involved in the Texas Central Railway (TCR) proposed Dallas-to-Houston High-Speed Rail project.
U.S. Rep. Kevin Brady, R-Texas, who is leading the congressional fight with Texans Against High-Speed Rail and local and elected officials released the following statement on the long-awaited announcement:
“This is the answer we fought for. This is the first victory in a long battle to ensure that Texas, not Washington, decides the fate of a project hurting our rural communities and landowners. I truly appreciate the efforts of our state and local officials and Texans Against High-Speed Rail who are working so diligently to protect Texans’ property rights.”
The decision by the STB indicates that the proposed approximately 240-mile high-speed rail line between Dallas and Houston is an intrastate project outside of the Board’s jurisdiction -- effectively recognizing that the project is a state project.
Brady wrote the STB in April opposing any federal involvement in the highly controversial project because the sole proposed route divides rural counties in the 8th Congressional District including Grimes, Madison and Leon counties.
"As our county commissioners, state legislators, and property owners have stated correctly, this route fractures our rural lifestyle without any direct economic or transportation benefits to our communities," Brady said in a news release.

If these people manage to kill rail (and jobs) because all the dumb reasons I keep hearing, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hey Badge here's one from YA BOY Joe Strauss

https://twitter.com/RobertTGarrett/status/755396696864092160

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

Between this and waving the Terrible Towel in Cleveland, are we sure that Paul Ryan actually knows how sports work

What are you talking about, he totally knows how to do the sport

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This explains so much about their thought process.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think we have already reached the nadir of these jokes with the CO senate candidate's quip about sending Hillary an email re: her pantsuits.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

This explains so much about their thought process.

Where are Aggies right now on the rivalry now that yall are in the SEC? Does anyone give a poo poo? Who's varsity team is getting it's horns sawed off now

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

Where are Aggies right now on the rivalry now that yall are in the SEC? Does anyone give a poo poo? Who's varsity team is getting it's horns sawed off now

Aggies suck, Horns suck, Arlen sucks and Wichita Falls rules, Go Sooners!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mods!!! MODS!!!