Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It suggests, to me, that the decision to allow you to put off NG+ came relatively late - late enough that they couldn't account for even leaving the boss room before choosing an ending, because you're not locked in there either.

It is a tough problem, though, because the world is going to be massively changed whichever ending you choose. Somebody pointed out that the Firelink you warp to that's all hosed up was possibly supposed to be THE Firelink at one point but then, again, you'd be locked in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Akuma posted:

It suggests, to me, that the decision to allow you to put off NG+ came relatively late - late enough that they couldn't account for even leaving the boss room before choosing an ending, because you're not locked in there either.

It is a tough problem, though, because the world is going to be massively changed whichever ending you choose. Somebody pointed out that the Firelink you warp to that's all hosed up was possibly supposed to be THE Firelink at one point but then, again, you'd be locked in.

Uh. Why would they leave. Do you want to not be able to buy anything until NG+?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Well exactly, and I think that's why it was ultimately done the way it was, but is also why it doesn't make any narrative sense. Remember that out of the 5 Souls[borne] games only 2 of them let you do anything once you've beaten the last boss, and while making this one that was 1 out of 4. The only one that let you keep playing was the non-Miyazaki one. I'm very much surprised it didn't lock you into starting over once you burn the lords, frankly.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Uh. Why would they leave. Do you want to not be able to buy anything until NG+?

Thought i was in the Brexit thread for a sec

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Akuma posted:

I don't really think the post-ending stuff was ever supposed to be anything other than a gameplay conceit in either this game or Dark Souls 2. I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to survive linking the fire, so there's no way to have you running around after that ending that makes sense.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I just started bloodborne. I guess I'll go poo poo up that thread for a while.

Bloodborne loving sucks btw. Difficult to the maxxx.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lite_sleepr posted:

Bloodborne is fanfuckingtastic, you'll see once you git gudder. Try the Hunter's Axe if you haven't already, it's probably the best weapon in any From game period.

DSIII rev. 1.10 hit tonight and my weakass Google-Fu hasn't led me to any release notes for it; does anyone know what's been altered?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Pretty big changes actually. Not only did they adjust the efficiency of the parameter, but the category's effect got an alteration.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Digirat posted:

Pretty big changes actually. Not only did they adjust the efficiency of the parameter,
:woop:

quote:

but the category's effect got an alteration.
:negative:

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

lite_sleepr posted:

Soldier on through the first area and things get much easier from there. I would say Bloodborne is actually easier, unless you are someone who played DS hiding behind his shield poking things. In that case you probably are hosed because BB is about getting in peoples faces and rolling.

Filthy Hans posted:

Bloodborne is fanfuckingtastic, you'll see once you git gudder. Try the Hunter's Axe if you haven't already, it's probably the best weapon in any From game period.

Deffo about the Axe, swiss army weapon of BB. I really like the saw too, but if you were just going to choose one weapon you really can't lose with the axe.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The saw cleaver is pretty much unmatched in pure damage as long as you don't mind getting up close and personal

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

The saw cleaver is pretty much unmatched in pure damage as long as you don't mind getting up close and personal
It matches my own playstyle much better, but the Axe is so much more versatile.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Sakurazuka posted:

Which incidentally is the most fun way to play, and viable since you can regain health so easily.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I saw some article on a lovely game website that said a skill build with the threaded cane was the cats pajamas, so I rolled with that. Seems pretty good because if BB is about speed and aggressive playstyle, a highly mobile player with what is essentially a dex build should do fine. Of course if a rookie hunter would do better with a hunters axe I'll restart since I only put about 2 hours in.

Is the Yahrnam Hunters Set better than the Hunters set you can find in some canals? The Yarnham set you can buy from the bathtub servants.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Apparently the pontiff lure glitch and ithryll drop were big enough issues to fix:

From Software posted:

Fixes an issue that allowed players to float in the air when using the Tears of Denial miracle

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
OOB was possible in more places than just those though.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

lite_sleepr posted:

I saw some article on a lovely game website that said a skill build with the threaded cane was the cats pajamas, so I rolled with that. Seems pretty good because if BB is about speed and aggressive playstyle, a highly mobile player with what is essentially a dex build should do fine. Of course if a rookie hunter would do better with a hunters axe I'll restart since I only put about 2 hours in.

Is the Yahrnam Hunters Set better than the Hunters set you can find in some canals? The Yarnham set you can buy from the bathtub servants.

the Threaded Cane is amazing, but it's not really the best build for a first time playthrough because it starts so much slower than everything else. It will be difficult until you can upgrade it to +5 or so, then the scaling starts to kick in and it's awesome. The crowd control offered by the trick form is unparalleled. But, the Axe/Cleaver are better options for the first try. If you feel like you're struggling, switch it up. Or poo poo - you're only a couple hours in - start a new character and try one of the others for a few minutes. It's not like Dark Souls where there's a million weapons and most of them are poo poo. There's only like 20-25 but they are ALL good. You just need to find something which suits your playstyle.

The armor sets in BB don't differ drastically at all, so it's pretty much fashion souls. There are a few instances where you might want a set with really high resistance to one damage type, but for the most part - wear what looks cool. The only set which sucks are the clothes you start with.

There's a Bloodborne thread here which has plenty more advice.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A threaded cane skill build will absolutely demolish stuff, it's just not the best newbie set up because it requires a bit more finesse and the cane doesn't really get going til you've upgraded it to +3

Apart from a few sets armour in BB is pretty much the same, so wear what ever looks good unless it obviously has much worse stats (the starting set for example) or you need to stack specific resistances for some reason.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Man, Greirat is just loving broken. If you know too much about him, it seems that this also can gently caress his questline up. How? Well, I sent him to Irythill immediately after arriving there, told Patches where he was (yes, he has the Catarina set), then warped to Smouldering and killed the Old Demon King. Back to the Shrine, and Patches still sits there, has apparently forgotten about Greirat, and Greirat is also gone. Confirmed dead, now.

I think it's because I went to the next boss kill TOO fast - I should have checked if Patches actually left Firelink. But I did not reload Firelink, just went to ODK immediately, and that probably means Patches didn't leave, then my bosskill doomed Greirat. Or something. This is so dumb.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Lol it always works like that and honestly, who cares about all these npc's

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I usually just kill patches and save siegward so Greirat's always survived that part for me. I wouldn't think you'd have had to leave and then come back to Firelink or something, but I'm not sure what the exact triggers are. Sometimes they can be really drat finicky.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Do you actually miss out on any gear by just killing every NPC you find?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Do you actually miss out on any gear by just killing every NPC you find?

Yeah, Greirat needs to go fetch stuff before he can sell it to you, and he's the only renewable source of most crossbow bolts.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Don't you get they ashes if you kill them or something

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Humans Among Us posted:

yea but if you kill greirat before his inventory is stocked up you miss out on some consumable purchases

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Humans Among Us posted:

You do, but if you don't meet the conditions for unlocking a vendor selling X or Y item then their ashes won't necessarily yield that item either.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Good luck giving a scroll of sorcery to a pile of ashes!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Good point

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Good luck giving a scroll of sorcery to a pile of ashes!

That's working as intended-- The Gods hate mages.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
My first play through I lost like all of the NPCs because there are often so many stupid rules, things, or times you have to do to save them. Unless you are going for platinum/certain ending, or need something specifically, it seems to make no difference anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I have never been able to buy Exploding Bolts in any of my playthroughs, because in the first I didn't know of course, in the second I forgot until too late, in the third I hosed something up (can't remember) and for the fourth see above.

By the by, I'm looking for recommendations for that one. Been using the Demon's Great Axe because I wanted to, but am getting kind of sick of it now, just too limited a moveset and I'd like to have some more actual damage - it's fun, but just nooot that good. Especially DPS-wise, as I am starved for points considering that whole "Pyromancer" thing, so only two hits and I can't even roll away afterwards.

As I want to keep the Pyro thing going, I want to infuse something with Chaos, too lazy to keep buffing, Flame Weapon isn't that good anyway and I need those slots for Chaos Fireball. I think the Thrall Axe could be really nice, someone has already recommended that. Maybe a Shotel for once, or the Carthus one, I keep wanting to use it for style but never get around to it. Not too exciting scaling-wise, though. The Corvian Scythe seems to become really good when upgraded and in Chaos, but maybe it's actually really terrible?
Anything else you can think of besides Straight Swords (really not my style)? Daggers are fine.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Scythes got a bit of a buff iirc

Maybe try the Corvian Greatknife, that thing is cool and fast as poo poo

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I'm finally tired of DS3. I'm free until the DLC comes out. may it never arrive

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

Scythes got a bit of a buff iirc

Maybe try the Corvian Greatknife, that thing is cool and fast as poo poo
I tried that and it deals just about zero damage when infused with Chaos. Nothing against you, it IS fast and cool-looking, but wow does it blow. 350 on backstab, nooooice. Next try!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
+5 BKG got me through most of NG+.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

unlawfulsoup posted:

Soldier on through the first area and things get much easier from there. I would say Bloodborne is actually easier, unless you are someone who played DS hiding behind his shield poking things. In that case you probably are hosed because BB is about getting in peoples faces and rolling.
As someone who is a habitual piece of poo poo shield user in DS games I want to chime in and say that I adapted extremely well to BBs fast dodge combat and love it to death.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Finally platted the game. I thought grinding ears would take forever, given all the horror stories, but it actually went by pretty quickly. For some reason, while I was grinding ears I kept getting autosummoned for the Blades. I almost never got summoned before.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

A threaded cane skill build will absolutely demolish stuff

[Be wary of liar]

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

[Be wary of liar]

[Try jumping]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
you guys i bought a ps4 on an impulse and am now going to own bloodborne

like poo poo i've beat the game before on a friend's console but now it's going to be mine holy poo poo, bye dark souls 3 you were alright