Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

(and also Obamas in 2008/2012 but hey)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i think nates just given up and decided its easy to be a commentator

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
http://election.princeton.edu/todays-electoral-vote-histogram/

Trumps odds to win basically haven't moved in forever, in spite of the fluctuation in individual polls, because there is no realistic path through the EC for him. It's almost like it's not a real thing because everyone but old white people loving hate him and he can't create more of them out of thin air and deposit them all in Ohio and Florida.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

TheTatteredKing posted:

Hmm. Why do you think Nate is giving him a better chance than Romney?

Because Nate has been drinking his own kool aid for the last four years and can't stop being a pundit

Mostly, though, because it's July, and polling data is neither widely available nor consistent. Romney's chances were a lot better in July too.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

paranoid randroid posted:

i think nates just given up and decided its easy to be a commentator

Did he just decide that Trump was as good a candidate and as popular as Bush in 2004 too?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I think he got Trump wrong the first time and is worried about doing it twice.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
idk man, i aint the Nate Whisperer

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Did Kerry ever actually lead in 2004? I recall him coming very close around the convention, but RCP consistently had Bush +1 or Bush +2 in the aggregates.

I remember some lovely exit polling that suggested Kerry was winning, but that's about it.

538's own article lists that Kerry was winning heading into the conventions but was losing a month later, and obviously never recovered.

So I guess we need to wait and see what things look like next month.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Alter Ego posted:

Did Kerry ever actually lead in 2004? I recall him coming very close around the convention, but RCP consistently had Bush +1 or Bush +2 in the aggregates.

I remember some lovely exit polling that suggested Kerry was winning, but that's about it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He also can't predict turnout so no one really knows anything

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xandu posted:

I think he got Trump wrong the first time and is worried about doing it twice.

Yeah, I know this is dangerously close to unskewing, but after the bath he took on twitter and the media I think he's putting his finger on the scale, and he may not even realize it.

https://twitter.com/Brian_Sweany/status/755423350403452928

And we all made fun of CNN for being stupid, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Re: Trump having a better chance than Romney

Maybe right now, but Romney ate poo poo while campaigning and Trump has rented out the golden corral of poo poo for the next 5 months.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

A sheriff is trying to argue against the facts of a drop in crime. He offers instead a feeling: that people do not feel secure in their communities. Again, it is vital to avoid the data or the facts. What matters is pure feeling. This goes of course also for the Black Lives Matter activists, whose core and central argument is that black men are disproportionately killed by cops. The best data shows this is false – just as their narrative about Michael Brown was false. Thanks in part to the radicalized racial left – we now have merely one identity politics waging war against another. They have a terrible inter-relationship, these two illiberalisms. They foment each other.
[/i]

I've really missed this Andrew Sullivan. It's good to have him back.

Sullivan is still really stupid about black people I guess.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yes, predicting an election like this one in July is a fool's errand. If you go by the stats, it looks somewhat in Hillary's favor, somewhat not. But I think the lesson has been that this is not an election that is like the past ones, and we're kind of in uncharted territory where the stats aren't nearly as valid because we just don't have enough information about an aberration like this one.

Lesson being, enjoy the fuckups and try not to get too worried, because at this point it's like predicting weather 4 months in advance.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope that the election ends up with Hillary winning the electoral college but Trump claiming a thin margin in the popular vote

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hope that the election ends up with Hillary winning the electoral college but Trump claiming a thin margin in the popular vote

The Worst Scenario

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

sean10mm posted:

Trumps odds to win basically haven't moved in forever, in spite of the fluctuation in individual polls, because there is no realistic path through the EC for him. It's almost like it's not a real thing because everyone but old white people loving hate him and he can't create more of them out of thin air and deposit them all in Ohio and Florida.

This is it, right here. It's electoral math that fucks Trump. He could win 50-60% of the vote overall and still lose - possibly by wide margins - because of how limited the number of "available" EVs there are. There's just too much safe Democrat for him to overcome and he doesn't have the room to create swing states out of those Safe and Leans-D states because of his lack of support among minorities. Romney had mainstream appeal and he got embarrassed on election day. Trump's got only one or two roads to the EV number he needs to win and those roads are very narrow and have a lot of opportunities to end prematurely.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

drat. Well, that just speaks to the uselessness of national polls, I guess.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ashpanash posted:

Yes, predicting an election like this one in July is a fool's errand. If you go by the stats, it looks somewhat in Hillary's favor, somewhat not. But I think the lesson has been that this is not an election that is like the past ones, and we're kind of in uncharted territory where the stats aren't nearly as valid because we just don't have enough information about an aberration like this one.

Lesson being, enjoy the fuckups and try not to get too worried, because at this point it's like predicting weather 4 months in advance.

I think though that predicting d turnout between 2008 and 2012 is reasonable where as ho ho R turnout .. Who knows.

How many d votes get siphoned off to L and G is also up in the air I guess.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Alter Ego posted:

Plagiarism on a stage like this isn't a world-ender like it is in academia, and the fact that it wasn't Trump himself who did it will ensure that.

But it is embarrassing for Melania Trump and the people that wrote her speech, and the fact that they work for an insane orange baby man who likes firing people means their lives are about to get very hard.

Once again, it's the insanity of the Trump campaign that makes this into a thing. Just like the sherifs' star, all they need to do is a simple, "Oops, we screwed up. That was embarrassing. Melina wrote the speech and not being a professional speech writer, she made a simple rookie mistake. She had put that paragraph in there as a placeholder and then forgot to replace it."

Instead we get, "It's Hillary's fault for making a big deal about this!" "But they haven't said anything about this." "Lies!"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ashpanash posted:

I'm rather fatalistic about it. If America actually elects Donald Trump president, then we will richly deserve everything that happens as a result. It will really suck and I'm not looking forward to it, of course, but it will be the just result.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

So I assume that Trump's pick of Pence for VP shows that he/his advisors do not understand and/or deny how the EV math works out for him.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
And to think, the media could have spent the entire morning news cycle talking about Benghazi.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is also what I'm hoping for. It would be so awesome to see people defend the Electoral College.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nate Silver, Hillary Clinton, and Donald Trump are all friends IRL.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Sullivan is still really stupid about black people I guess.

Seriously why do left wing people like Sullivan? That guy is awful.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ashpanash posted:

If you go by the stats, it looks somewhat in Hillary's favor, somewhat not.

If you "go by the stats" right now Clinton wins by like 320-218.

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

Mirthless posted:

This is it, right here. It's electoral math that fucks Trump. He could win 50-60% of the vote overall and still lose - possibly by wide margins - because of how limited the number of "available" EVs there are. There's just too much safe Democrat for him to overcome and he doesn't have the room to create swing states out of those Safe and Leans-D states because of his lack of support among minorities. Romney had mainstream appeal and he got embarrassed on election day. Trump's got only one or two roads to the EV number he needs to win and those roads are very narrow and have a lot of opportunities to end prematurely.

As it stands this election is very much Hillary's to lose.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Why? That would be a terrible situation.

I hope Trump gets stomped into the ground in both EVs and popular vote, and he fades away forever. I'd like to think this is inevitable, but hey, people still support him despite everything so far.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

He's a good writer, so it feels good when he agrees with you.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Deteriorata posted:

I'm rather fatalistic about it. If America actually elects Donald Trump president, then we will richly deserve everything that happens as a result. It will really suck and I'm not looking forward to it, of course, but it will be the just result.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

disjoe posted:

So I assume that Trump's pick of Pence for VP shows that he/his advisors do not understand and/or deny how the EV math works out for him.

My take or it was it is a desperate act to fend off a coup at the convention and a hail Mary to try and generate some turnout in November from evangelicals.

Of course as has been talked about above it does nothing to help him win pa or Florida. Might help in Ohio tho.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Thread is moving too fast again. Has anybody mentioned Trump's personal letter to Jorge Ramos yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDHF4KaLynE

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I question the ability of the GOP to get turnout any higher than it was in 2008 or 2012.

The right-wing rage machine ran up the law of diminishing returns in 2012 when they realized that ginning up outrage among white people was only going to get Romney about 47% of the vote--and he didn't do nearly as much to piss off the Hispanic community that Trump has.'

Even if Hillary gets only 3-4% more of white people and white women than Obama did, Trump will lose and lose big, and I'd put money on minority margins being NO smaller than they were in 2012--in fact, I'd wager the margin in the Hispanic vote will be even wider.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sean10mm posted:

If you "go by the stats" right now Clinton wins by like 320-218.

If Trump started squatting would that help?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

do we like nate silver? ive never seen anything but mockery directed at him from the left. the old bush-era bloggers used to call him "sully the pooh"

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

sean10mm posted:

You're going to be sad election night. Trump is going to sweep the swing states and probably pull off an upset no one expects, like Michigan. Two old white democrats on a ticket aren't going to get the minority vote out that carried Obama.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

But it's not good that Trump is working to defend his right flank at all.

Imho. I mean I guess if they think their path is an intensely negative, low turnout affair.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

L-Boned posted:

You're going to be sad election night. Trump is going to sweep the swing states and probably pull off an upset no one expects, like Michigan. Two old white democrats on a ticket aren't going to get the minority vote out that carried Obama.

(citation needed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
there was one gay guy who really hated the poo poo out of him and would refer to him exclusively as The Bugchaser

• Locked thread