Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tunicate posted:

They had a confrontation where a guy shot another one.

And then the second guy was like 'nah uh, my power is that you get hurt instead',

and the first guy was like 'well nah uh, that's my power except you get bad things that happen to me AND I get good things that happen to you too'

What happens when two shield maidens face off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That was my first thought as well.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7naYyWnK29U

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR794_QBmug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

pro-click

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The truth frightens you.

Eh.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh you have a new avatar now. I was wondering why this post was so contrarian and yet simultaneously so devoid of substance.
69 Shitposts In Perpetuity

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Friedrich's associates are starting to sound...more and more dubious.

Moreso than the Veil of Ignorance already made them sound. Also, Iron Matron Candidate #53 huh?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Friedrich's associates are starting to sound...more and more dubious.

Moreso than the Veil of Ignorance already made them sound. Also, Iron Matron Candidate #53 huh?

Are you really going to mistrust someone with magic drum pants

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Oxxidation posted:

Are you really going to trust someone with magic drum pants

fify

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Authors who treat magic just as a set of superpowers are hacks. World-builders, too.

This is how I feel about it too, honestly. Like this approach really takes the, well, magic out of it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Magic just being magic is great for being generally unobtrusive and just letting you get on with the story. If you need magic to do a Thing, it can do it. But if you go too far with that, conflicts can kind of break down with "why don't they just magic it". Harry Potter is a good example of this approach, in that magic generally does do whatever, but even though it isn't outright stated, theres aspects like how the act of casting a spell is consistent that keeps. It coherent, and allows it to create tension when, say, Harry's wand is knocked across the room.

Taking the rigorously defined route, on the other hand, can become very video-gamely if done poorly (looking at you, opening chapter of The Way of Kings), but it helps for making magic itself an integral focus of the story--Brandon Sanderson loves to have some aspect of magic being key to the plot, and it can be fun to try and puzzle out what's going on. It also lets you do Stand battles if you want to, in that your character is using their defined set of tools to overcome their opponent's defined set of tools. You can do some satisfyingly clever stuff if you set your mind to it.

Both have pros and cons, and on the whole I think the vague approach generally works better, but I'm a total sucker for defined systems.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHpiirw06A

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gently caress magic, it's all about the psychic maelstrom now

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tunicate posted:

They had a confrontation where a guy shot another one.

And then the second guy was like 'nah uh, my power is that you get hurt instead',

and the first guy was like 'well nah uh, that's my power except you get bad things that happen to me AND I get good things that happen to you too'

Could... could you actually do a "good" fight scene like that? Like the two elementary kids going 'nuh uh'.

Like at the start of every fight they're just normal people, and then they have to declare their attack/power and the opponent gets like a second to react and counter. So as the battle goes on they're getting more and more ridiculous, but also they have to remember everyone's powers/defenses and trying to find creative ways to win. And... I guess you can't just declare yourself completely invulnerable to everything right away, for whatever reason?

There'd also have to be a reason not to go full nuclear right away- like I dunno if you unleash the hyperdeath laser beam without declaring yourself immune you just blow yourself up, or give your opponent a chance to counter it if you haven't set them up...

Mmmmm nah, this is dumb. Maybe there's something to the 'making poo poo up on the fly' idea but it'd have to be really limited to avoid just immediate blowing up the world.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
my favorite approach to magic these days comes from the 30 years war, where if you succeed at things or are lucky or know one more thing than everyone else you get retroactively labeled a wizard by your peers. like, artillerymen are obviously wizards because they know maths and chemistry. a general who is never injured is obviously 'frozen' and can only be harmed by blessed weapons. paying attention to what the weather is doing makes you a sorcerer somehow.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
too soon

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mazerunner posted:

Could... could you actually do a "good" fight scene like that? Like the two elementary kids going 'nuh uh'.

At the end of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey (shut up, it's good), there's a time travel fight that consists of several rounds of "I go back in time after the fight and set up this thing to beat the thing you just got me with"

Then it turns out Bill and Ted set up everything including the other guy's gambits, because they're morons (and only the winner gets to go back in time and change things)

But yeah point is I think you could do it well but only of the work as a whole was deep parody or you wanted to showcase two characters in particular as being immensely stupid/childish.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Bill and Ted may be lazy doofuses about everything else, but they have a truly excellent grasp of time travel mechanics, and that's why they're destined to rule the future with george carlin's help

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mazerunner posted:

Like at the start of every fight they're just normal people, and then they have to declare their attack/power and the opponent gets like a second to react and counter. So as the battle goes on they're getting more and more ridiculous, but also they have to remember everyone's powers/defenses and trying to find creative ways to win. And... I guess you can't just declare yourself completely invulnerable to everything right away, for whatever reason?

There'd also have to be a reason not to go full nuclear right away- like I dunno if you unleash the hyperdeath laser beam without declaring yourself immune you just blow yourself up, or give your opponent a chance to counter it if you haven't set them up...

Mmmmm nah, this is dumb. Maybe there's something to the 'making poo poo up on the fly' idea but it'd have to be really limited to avoid just immediate blowing up the world.

This just reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Sandman:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Carrasco posted:

This just reminds me of one of my favorite parts of Sandman:

Oh yeah, that was a pretty good part. One of my favourites in the series, too. ...I feel like maybe I could do with trying to track down the books for a re-read, but then I look at Dream's font, and ugh.

Ok, I'm thinking maybe you could do a 'nuh uh' style battle decently well, but yeah you'd have to have it either parodic and absurd like Renbot said, or give it enough limitations that it's a battle of wits and creativity, rather than just 'who can declare the most stupid strong power first'.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mazerunner posted:

or give it enough limitations that it's a battle of wits and creativity, rather than just 'who can declare the most stupid strong power first'.

So yugioh then

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Yu-gi-oh! Pretends to do this but it doesn't, not consistently at least. The protagonists occasionally use cards they are already shown to have in a creative way, but mostly the pull out a never-seen before card that just happens to contrast perfectly their opponent's strategy.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 19, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Yu-gi-oh! Pretends to do this but it doesn't, not consistently at least. The protagonists occasionally use cards they are already shown to have in a creative way, but mostly the pull out a never-seen before card that just happens to contrast perfectly thein opponent's strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay_S8NjPEXk

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
So it looks like the Dragon Bell is another opossum in a magitech harness. At least, that's what I'm assuming given the bell requires feeding.

I thought state sponsored opossum hunting was bad, but living opossums regularly being used as base materials for magical devices feels like a whole other level of horror.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

When a character calls Poppy a 'candidate' for being Iron Matron, my first question is if Iron Matron is a position, or a one-person destiny. In other words, is there a line of Iron Matrons, or is there going to be some magic shenanigans that result in Poppy (or hypothetically one of the other candidates) being displaced from her normal time.

edit: This was in the third anniversary image, and I imagine is 'whoever' Poppy is being confused for. Note the bright eye.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 19, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobulus posted:

When a character calls Poppy a 'candidate' for being Iron Matron, my first question is if Iron Matron is a position, or a one-person destiny.

A bit of both? Somehow I get the impression it's some kinda destiny thing but with multiple people that could potentially fulfil the requirements.

The specific thing I'm thinking of, due to the inclusion of a number, is a Dune-esque eugenics program to create some kind of super being to be used for political gain by the people behind it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

What I'm asking is, is there a series of Iron Maidens (like the comic strip Phantom, who is replaced by a new one whenever he dies off), or is there one Iron Maiden of legend, and these magical people are tracking / working towards putting one person in that position.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the iron maiden is the arbiter from halo

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Bobulus posted:

What I'm asking is, is there a series of Iron Maidens (like the comic strip Phantom, who is replaced by a new one whenever he dies off), or is there one Iron Maiden of legend, and these magical people are tracking / working towards putting one person in that position.

I got that, I'm staking my bet on the latter

Or if it is a succession of individuals it's nowhere near continuous, like it's some pseudo-arthurian thing and there's one ancient [legit/self-made] character that this new iron matron is going to be based on/supposed to succeed. That's the kind of crap shadowy illuminati types tend to go for right?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Wittgen posted:

So it looks like the Dragon Bell is another opossum in a magitech harness. At least, that's what I'm assuming given the bell requires feeding.

I thought the dragon bell was this water dragon type thing kept in a large aquarium tank in kit's lab?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I thought the dragon bell was this water dragon type thing kept in a large aquarium tank in kit's lab?

That's the "world's only living sea dragon in captivity" according to alt text. They make it sound like lots of places have dragon bells, so I think they're different. I could be missing something though.

Page in question.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 19, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The bell's the municipal dragon repellent/suppressor they have to shut down periodically to work with the sea dragon, IIRC from the arc with all the dragons in it

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

You know, looking at some of these older panels, I can't help but like the older artstyle more than the current one. Can't quite put my finger on why though. Sorry morbi.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Pavlov posted:

You know, looking at some of these older panels, I can't help but like the older artstyle more than the current one. Can't quite put my finger on why though. Sorry morbi.

Having just gunned through the entirety of Poppy, I'd have to agree. Not to say the recent panels are bad, but I preferred the older, flatter comic style. Maybe it's just that my vision isn't very good or something, but I had a hard time distinguishing what was going on in a lot of the darker panels in the dragon fight at Egon.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Oh cool, a place I can read and talk about webcomic stuff that ISN'T the raging tire fire that is 4chan or Reddit.

I've read a lot of webcomics in my day. A lot of good ones ("order of the stick"), and a lot of really horrible ones (loving "unicorn jelly".). A major problem I've had with webcomics is a lot of ones that seem promising never make it to the end of their first arc or even chapter. And the ones that do last just aren't good. ("goblins" etc). I'm mostly interested in ones that are good and finished. (Decrypting Rita was the last finished one I read and that was a neat futurist trip.)

Regarding Poppy:
I'm in agreement about the new art style. It's kind of in a weird place, like it should be going in one way or another. A sort of stylistic uncanny valley? I don't know. Old style had it's problems, so does new style. Reminds me a bit of horror comics like Ito's stuff with the warping of faces and features. That can, and has, been used to great effect in your comic so far, but sometimes it really does look unnerving when the scene doesn't look like it's trying to be weird.

Petunia's "reaction shot" schtick also got a bit overdone last arc. And this human is just completely out of nowhere and I really hope there's a good explanation for it. Rest is good. A solid "B" effort so far, will likely improve with future art changes and as the story actually starts going places.

Will look through other webcomics suggested by this thread later.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

A major problem I've had with webcomics is a lot of ones that seem promising never make it to the end of their first arc or even chapter. And the ones that do last just aren't good. ("goblins" etc). I'm mostly interested in ones that are good and finished. (Decrypting Rita was the last finished one I read and that was a neat futurist trip.)

Regarding this, if you haven't read it, Starslip Crisis is probably one of the most notable exceptions. It starts a little hokey and joke-a-day at the start, but matures and delivers on its promise in a way that very few webcomics have.

I'd suspect that Broodhollow will do the same, though it sounds like Straub has been having a tough time lately and it's slowed down the progress of that one quite a bit.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Just so we're clear, you guys do remember that the humans appearing in the comic thing was one of the bits of the April Fools comic, right? And there's already a proven thing where some stuff in those comics actually comes true. Granted, humans are very out of place in this setting as a rule, but I guess I can live with having 1 or a couple or whatever as the general attendants to god. It'd be especially hilarious if this whole universe turned out to be like some weird altered reality where the gods are just house cats, the attendants are the cat owners, and all other animals are just wild animals roaming around the neighborhood.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
How out of place they are kind of depends on your view of humans. If you see humans as Different from Animals on some level, this is very, very jarring. If you see humans as a different kind of animal, then this still probably isn't working so great for you. If you see humans as just another animal, then it might not be a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

There's no logical reason why we should have ten different kinds of bipedal sapient fox people, the same for ape people, and then not have humans in the context of the aforementioned proven things.

I strongly doubt anyone will even bother to call Lila a human in comic (or if they do it will be very matter of fact, in passing, and the equivalent of saying "adult caucasian")because it just isn't pertinent to any of the parties involved. It'd be like people harping on the fact that Petunia is a cat.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread