Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Isn't new ryze not pickable for another week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I can't wait for a week of competitive pick/ban priority Sona. It's going to be loving hilarious.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Glad to see Tahm has reentered the meta

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Luna Was Here posted:

Isn't new ryze not pickable for another week?

Oh right I forgot that rework champions can have their own delay period beyond the patch itself.

E: On Second thought it depends on where they define when a week of games has started. If it is defined to start on the day games are first played rather than something like the day after the last game (so Friday vs Monday for NALCS) then 6.14 and new Ryze will be available this week.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 19, 2016

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

I can't wait for a week of competitive pick/ban priority Sona. It's going to be loving hilarious.

bring back all the old sona players for just one week

eddy, chauster, elementz... the whole gang

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
OH MY GOD THAT'S EDWARD'S MUSIC

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

OH MY GOD THAT'S EDWARD'S MUSIC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gliBTiBY6l8

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
the best part of the kt series was game 2 when Monte had to engage with the extended attack on titan metaphor

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
lmao

I take everything back the Piggyback Broadcasts are the greatest. OGN is best.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 20, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I love the LCK. all the top teams can put forth impressive games and with the prevalence of globals these days there are so many great fights

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/developer-corner/B2y4p4vE-pre-worlds-early-game-update

Riot is changing how towers and poo poo work to try and stop laneswapping from being the default. The changes look really stupid though??!?!?!?

Cannons now spawn one at a time, and rotate which lane they spawn in. Doesnt that gently caress with the gold each player can get??

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
if no turrets have been destroyed after 15 minutes, Hitler will spawn every 4th, 7th and 11th wave in top, mid and bot respectively. he will begin to wildly siege the enemy nexus until he is dispatched and will stop at nothing

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

people have been joking about the pre-worlds patch that changes everything all year and well, there it is right on schedule.

i think they should make the side lane turrets invulnerable but not the mid lane so every game is a 3v3 rumble mid until the fortification drops off the side lane turrets

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

How the gently caress can you learn so little about a game that you made after 7 years of trying to balance it god i hate riot so much

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
no rush 20 min

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
YOU GET IN YOUR LANES AND FIGHT ALREADY :mad:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
These changes are going to be great if just to see Monte's tears when he hears about them.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Anything that loving kills lane swaps which suck rear end and are boring poo poo to watch is fine with me.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Thinking about it for a bit, I assume the thinking behind the cannon minion spawns is something like if Team A goes for standard lanes and team B goes for a lane swap then team A will get a big lead by being able to give the cannon on wave 3 to their ADC, deny Team B that cannon minion by pushing it into tower and zoning off team B, take the turret on that wave and then team A can swap their duo lane top to stop team B from trading turrets and possibly denying the cannon minion of wave 5 by zoning them off of it with their item advantage. That assumes that teams won't think up a counter strategy to keep lane swaps viable though, and we might just see the return of stuff like Maokai going bot with a support to start the game off.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Libertine posted:

Anything that loving kills lane swaps which suck rear end and are boring poo poo to watch is fine with me.

On the whole this is how I feel as well, but every time they try to they come up with some really weird and convoluted way to do it. On the other hand I don't have any easier ideas myself

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The competitive game right now is basically pointless to watch the first act (~10-15 minutes) of any match because it's basically just lane swapping and vacuuming up free gold. The only exciting things that ever happen are Level 1 scouting accidents or rare high risk dive plays around an outer tower. The beginning of the game should have some action and should have some kill potential so it's actually fun to watch. Lane swaps prevent that from happening almost always.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

henkman posted:

On the whole this is how I feel as well, but every time they try to they come up with some really weird and convoluted way to do it. On the other hand I don't have any easier ideas myself

TBH, I'd rather have them keep firing the poo poo cannon and seeing what sticks to stop Xv0 laneswaps than the alternative of giving up. The timing could be better, though.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Just reading it, I think turret trading will officially be dead because it's no longer an even trade, it's a huge advantage for whoever gets botlane turret first. That said it skews the focus towards botlane really heavily, so teams that are botlane-centric instead of mid or top centric are going to benefit a lot more from this patch. Botlane turret being the vulnerable turret also having the dragon right next door (and usually being a free bonus when you take down bot turret) seems to be TOO much of a snowball.

It discourages support roaming, it encourages heroic last stand idiocy at the bot turret, and it means even more 4 man botlane dive/pushes than before.

I am a vocal hater of turret trading, but I'm not sure if this is the answer.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
RIP champion diversity :rip:

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
TP on all sololaners so we can turn botlane into a 5v5 clusterfuck

edit: I'm hoping for some sweet salty monty tweets

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Smol posted:

RIP champion diversity :rip:

This gets brought up a lot in favor of lane swaps and there are two flaws with this line of thinking - first, it presupposes that there aren't as many champs that are unviable because of lane swapping as are made viable by it, and secondly it assumes that there's actual champ diversity to begin with, instead of teams fixating on the same 4-5 champs per role to begin with.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Savage Cracker posted:

edit: I'm hoping for some sweet salty monty tweets

Oh, they're coming. There was an LCK game in the last few weeks that had standard lanes and a late first blood and Monte took the opportunity to crow about how that meant that lane swaps are the only true meta. He's pretty much guaranteed to be :salt: personified if this goes through.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Lane swaps have stifled the top lane champion pool enormously for years. Any champion who can't low-econ on a 1v2 for 10 minutes is not a viable top laner barring enormous intervention effort from his team's draft strategy and lane focus strategy. That's a huge problem in competitive relative to solo queue where there's ENORMOUS top lane champion diversity.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
The Renektons of toplane also become more viable if you can't just swap away the Jax.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Savage Cracker posted:

The Renektons of toplane also become more viable if you can't just swap away the Jax.

The champ that really sticks out right now is Pantheon, who is overall strong with a decent pick rate in solo queue and has good match ups into the meta pro top laners and yet is completely non existent in pro play because pro teams can just swap their top laner away from him for half the game and completely negate his early game strength.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Crazy Larry posted:

This gets brought up a lot in favor of lane swaps and there are two flaws with this line of thinking - first, it presupposes that there aren't as many champs that are unviable because of lane swapping as are made viable by it, and secondly it assumes that there's actual champ diversity to begin with, instead of teams fixating on the same 4-5 champs per role to begin with.

So now you won't be able to pick any weak laners because losing the tower is so costly, that seems like a far bigger problem no matter how much you think laneswaps help/hurt diversity on their own.

e: if boring waveclear mids are bad now, now waveclear in mid is basically obligatory, you can't even choose.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Azir hype :v:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

IXIX posted:

So now you won't be able to pick any weak laners because losing the tower is so costly, that seems like a far bigger problem no matter how much you think laneswaps help/hurt diversity on their own.

e: if boring waveclear mids are bad now, now waveclear in mid is basically obligatory, you can't even choose.

It's a tradeoff either way though when it comes to champ diversity. Just look at the patch 6.13 pick/ban stats.. There's only about 40 champs that have been picked professionally on this patch to begin with. 14 of those champs are at or above 50% p/b, and three of them are p/b over 80% (loving Vladimir is 86% p/b for some drat reason.) That's not really speaking well of the champ diversity in the lane swap meta when I know that in three fourths of the games I watch I'm probably going to see Sivir, Braum, Vladimir, Karma, Azir and Reksai show up in the draft.

Edit: Hell, Braum is at a 40% win rate and still has been p/b in 73% of the games. Pro teams are going to zero in on certain picks whether or not there are lane swaps - the only thing that's going to change is which champs they prioritize.

Action George fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 20, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It was cool to see Nami for a few games before everyone remembered that Braum into Nami is the hardest counter in the game.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

if tower first blood becomes too much of a snowball it can just be a bounty that exists for the first x minutes i guess.

honestly this is probably as good as they can get to stop laneswaps since i think any problems with it can be worked around while also not having much of an effect on solo queue. i think pretty much every moba has adapted some kind of swapped lane setup as the pro meta at one point or another because its a really easy way to play without having the game become almost unwinnable early on even if you're pretty evenly matched up with another team. if riot doesn't want people to play that way they kinda have to force people into it.

also league has always had really bad champion diversity, riot doesn't make the game such that it rewards have a large champion pool.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
This is a patch near worlds but it's not THE worlds patch, which will buff riven, tp Leblanc, zed, and whatever else fakers been picking in solo queue.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I actually like the tower aggro changes

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

IXIX posted:

there should be some trade off for picking weak laners. the idea is that weak laners are strong later, and you have to try to protect them. but in the tower trade lane swap meta that's simply not true. like libertine said and like i rail on about repeatedly, killing lane swaps doesn't kill champion diversity because lane swapping is already harming champion diversity but in a different way.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Work Friend Keven posted:

This is a patch near worlds but it's not THE worlds patch, which will buff riven, tp Leblanc, zed, and whatever else fakers been picking in solo queue.

please do not give the gloriously stupid Chinese split push TP Leblanc credit to Faker. he's like weird al on napster, he gets credit for everything stupid but theres a fine alternative and plenty of other stupid people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah, soaz played tp leblanc top first

• Locked thread