Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Chaitai posted:

For Melee weapons, is Aerial everything the best style? It seems to provide so much over everything else. The monsters can rarely hit you while you are flailing through the air smashing them on your way down, you typically don't lost THAT many moves for the various weapons. I guess the only thing you lose are the additional hunter arts, but I seemingly forget to use those anyways so I don't miss out on much.

I keep trying to go back to Striker SnS but keep feeling like I'd be better off mounting monsters and then stunning them while they are on the ground. What am I doing wrong in the other styles that makes Aerial feel so strong?

Striker SnS is objectively better than aerial for two reasons.
1) SnS arts are incredibly good and the circle slash or whatever it's called has invincibility frames and is basically spammable
2) you're only gonna get two mounts tops before most monsters are dead so if you're in a group really only one of you needs to be aerial style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
There are too many weapons I want to use... gotten the hang of Adept CB, was gonna focus on CB and Hammer, but goddamn LS (which I haven't used since 2nd G) and SnS look SO drat fun, and Adept Bow just looks badass...

drat YOU, CAPCOM! :arghfist::3:

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of bowguns do different guns have differing amounts of recoil on some shots or will (say) Pierce 2 always shoot hella slow compared to Normal 2 on every gun?

Yup.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a farm?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of bowguns do different guns have differing amounts of recoil on some shots or will (say) Pierce 2 always shoot hella slow compared to Normal 2 on every gun?

It depends on the gun, there's a recoil stat for each. Each ammo also has more or less recoil, so something like Pierce will always kick more.

Silencers for LBGs reduce recoil, and recoil also affects reload time slightly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a farm?

Yes. Its in the Palico Ranch run by Neko (Means "cat")

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Thanks to goons that helped me through my urgent 1* last night. Cleared all the way to hr3 after.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So what's the ideal Prowler build then? Is it that boomerang build that GaijinHunter has on his channel? Just want to start moving towards a viable online Prowler build.

And if it is the boomerang build, what should be the base of it? A support palico right?

Edit: Also what's a good early game Hammer/GS? As in something I can upgrade to pretty easily and it'll do for most of village.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 19, 2016

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

keyboard vomit posted:

It depends on the gun, there's a recoil stat for each. Each ammo also has more or less recoil, so something like Pierce will always kick more.

Silencers for LBGs reduce recoil, and recoil also affects reload time slightly.

So there isn't gonna be a gun, then, that has (say) minimum recoil on Pierce but maximum on Pellet or something like that? There's just the gun-wide recoil stat?

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Does the appearance of armour change in high rank? This is important to me

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Does the appearance of armour change in high rank? This is important to me

Yep and there are special anime variants and other stuff

There's a lot of armor search youtube

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So what's the ideal Prowler build then? Is it that boomerang build that GaijinHunter has on his channel? Just want to start moving towards a viable online Prowler build.

And if it is the boomerang build, what should be the base of it? A support palico right?

Fighting or support that has Piercing Boomerang/Big Boomerang as innate moves and most of the skills listed.

Fighting or Support depends on whether you'd rather do more damage or charge your gauge faster. You need one that has those skills innately because you can only inherit one move and one skill, and there are really good moves/skills that Fighting and Support types cannot learn inherently.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

So there isn't gonna be a gun, then, that has (say) minimum recoil on Pierce but maximum on Pellet or something like that? There's just the gun-wide recoil stat?

Yep, the recoil is per gun that gets modified by the ammo you're shooting.

There's also a skill to reduce recoil

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

Fighting or support that has Piercing Boomerang/Big Boomerang as innate moves and most of the skills listed.

Fighting or Support depends on whether you'd rather do more damage or charge your gauge faster. You need one that has those skills innately because you can only inherit one move and one skill, and there are really good moves/skills that Fighting and Support types cannot learn inherently.

Cool thanks, what skills are those out of interest? Internet is really bad where I'm at right now so trying to find them online is bit of a challenge.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Cool thanks, what skills are those out of interest? Internet is really bad where I'm at right now so trying to find them online is bit of a challenge.

Boomerang Pro, Critical up (s) and Earplugs are the big ones.

Last Stand is another one with a huge DPS boost.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

Boomerang Pro, Critical up (s) and Earplugs are the big ones.

Last Stand is another one with a huge DPS boost.

Now to make a murder cat, and get booted from every pub room I visit, least that's what I've heard the Prowler online experience is like.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Now to make a murder cat, and get booted from every pub room I visit, least that's what I've heard the Prowler online experience is like.

Don't visit pub rooms :ssh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Also, Mega Boomerang is useless and doesn't stack with the other two. You're specifically looking for Piercing (it'll be its second locked skill) and Big Boomerang (one of the random ones).

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

If you can tough it out, there is eventually a Hunt-a-Thon, all you can kill Yian Kutku quest. My record was 5, but I plan to beat it!

The KutKu cat armor is amazing. I've got it on my two buddies and my prowler so we pimp around as a trio of baby kutkus.

I literally just need one to upgrade my glaive. I don't think I'll wait until the huntathons to get out of a teeny sliver of green sharpness. :/

Prowler mode is turning out to be insanely good for those 'kill a ton of small monsters' quests. I like the built-in psychic letting me run circles around the boss monster.

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Mortimer posted:

if you're playing solo yeah aerial is great, mounting is a ton of free damage. If you're in a party it's generally good to have only one person aerial because of the increase damage required to mount each time you do it. Plus I think maybe you can hit the other person midair?

LS is a weapon with good hunter arts that guild or striker is good for, SnS is another one.

Yes, I play almost entirely solo, so I guess I'll stick with Aerial for the time being, or at least until I git gud and can maneuver around monsters with SnS.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Is there a quest list or something for farm/kitchen upgrades? Also fish - i need about 99 sleepy and scatterfish for my supplies to be complete.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Colorspray posted:

Is there a quest list or something for farm/kitchen upgrades? Also fish - i need about 99 sleepy and scatterfish for my supplies to be complete.

There's a 4 star village quest for prowler mode that asks you to catch 3 goldenfish that'll let you trade for fish with Neko (means cat).

e: check out the resource thread on the monster hunter reddit for a link to a post outlining how to unlock all the trading post stuff.

Herbotron fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 19, 2016

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Herbotron posted:

There's a 4 star village quest for prowler mode that asks you to catch 3 goldenfish that'll let you trade for fish with Neko (means cat).

Protip don't do this quest with a cat that doesn't have the goldenfish skill, unless you're a masochist or something.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Do you get anything for doing the arena?
I just tried fighting Malfestio out of curiosity and did not even get a B rank.
Of course that was my first time using the hammer, so I was mostly blundering around but it still seems like a tough challenge to get the S rank.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Protip don't do this quest with a cat that doesn't have the goldenfish skill, unless you're a masochist or something.

It's not too bad if you leave and reenter the area to reroll the fish, the entrance is right next to the pond.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Yes. Its in the Palico Ranch run by Neko (Means "cat")

To elaborate on this a bit, it's not quite the same as farms have been in the other games.

To get items, you dont grow anything or put cats to work, like you used to. You designate a cat to essentially go and purchase items for you using wycademy points. It's kind of weak. You start with just 1 cart, which means you can get 1 item type at a time (herbs or whatever). You have to do pouncer quests to unlock different item types (mushrooms, honey, etc...).

The rest of the ranch is devoted to training calicos to give them new skills and whatnot and the Meowster Hunter minigame.

The minigame let's you play air hockey with your cats to get resources from the different areas of the game. It's fun and you can get some really cool looking gear from the rare items you can get there.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

scissorman posted:

Do you get anything for doing the arena?
I just tried fighting Malfestio out of curiosity and did not even get a B rank.
Of course that was my first time using the hammer, so I was mostly blundering around but it still seems like a tough challenge to get the S rank.

if you do all 10 with every weapon and either all A rank or at least one weapon for each A rank...

you get these two items
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/armor/615-sword-saint-earring
http://mhgen.kiranico.com/armor/616-barrage-earring

they own real hard and I want to find a group that'll do some arena with me some day soon

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

According to what I've read you only have to do each arena quest with one weapon, thank god.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've happily pubbed all the arena quests in previous titles but it's much easier with goons. Some of the goons are legendary in skill but always don't post here.

Goddamn I just did one prowler quest and it unlocked like five prowler gathering quests what the gently caress :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

I've happily pubbed all the arena quests in previous titles but it's much easier with goons. Some of the goons are legendary in skill but always don't post here.

Goddamn I just did one prowler quest and it unlocked like five prowler gathering quests what the gently caress :(

Yeah, Prowler quests tend to gate a lot of poo poo.

They're also usually repeats of hunter quests at the same level with slightly lower requirements, which is such a loving bizarre design choice.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BMan posted:

According to what I've read you only have to do each arena quest with one weapon, thank god.

Wait what really? Source? gamefaqs testimonials say every weapon

e: nevermind it was some crazy person who did it for fun

I am more down to do arena quests than every before

mbt fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 19, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Every time I get those earrings though I never end up using them, haha. There's just better stuff to do.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Rascyc posted:

Every time I get those earrings though I never end up using them, haha. There's just better stuff to do.

the sword saint earring is ehhh

but the barrage earring is great, especially pre-grank/deviant, and double specially because bow is incredible

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

This is an emergency. How can I wear anything else now that I have the larinoth mask?

Hello townspeople and village chiefs, I am a loving dinosaur, how can I help you

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Mortimer posted:

the sword saint earring is ehhh

but the barrage earring is great, especially pre-grank/deviant, and double specially because bow is incredible

Makes sense I never use bow (outside of Sergios in 4u) so I wouldn't know

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 19, 2016

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Not sure where to look, but how do you unlock Go Fight Win? Looks like killing something, but I haven't kilt it yet, apparently.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Speaking of, what are some good early game bows? I heard the Sonic Bow is good, but what else?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What makes Bow better than HBG or vice versa, anyway

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Except you need 2 hunter arts to keep up that hyper sword mode, so it's either that or aerial shenanigans.

Energy Recharge level 3 gives you 30% bonus affinity. You lose anime sword mode, but you can definitely get huge sword uptime and giant crit with aerial SA.

For whoever asked about SA combo after a successful mount, I almost always go axe chops into the big finisher, but I should probably check numbers because a sword combo might be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Gore Magala HBG requires 3 feelers, fuuuuuck. Did they ever do a blog post explaining how they picked the name Glavenus? It's a portmanteau of glaive and penus, right? A good rule of thumb for fighting him with a bowgun, if you think you're out of range of his glaive penus you're actually not.

• Locked thread