Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's quite a few shots where the special effects were added after the fact in the AC and look really bad because of it. The xenomorph really suffers from it: there are scenes where it looks really amazing, and then others where it looks really bad.

Switching tracks, am I remembering wrong or was there an android that had rebelled against the company in 4? If so, that's another really interesting idea wasted by that movie.
The alien alternating between awesome and hideous is inherent to all versions of the movie :haw:

The analog process they used to compose the rod puppet with the live action hallway shots gave it a very unfortunate green tint which makes a lot of people think it's awful CG (but this was '92, before Jurassic Park). I've heard that the rod puppet shadows are CG, which makes sense because they look... wrong. I think the suit looked great, though.

In Alien: Resurrection, Call (Winona Ryder) is an android that I think was part of some society of escaped androids living independently. I think WY is dead in that movie, however (it's set hundreds of years after 3).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The "twist" in Resurrection is that Winona Ryder is a second generation android (androids built by androids, also called "autons") and she's been hiding it because they're illegal.

She wasn't literally rebelling against the Company, she had learned that the United Systems Military was going to attempt more Alien research and recognized that that was a bad idea, so she set out to sabotage the project.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Alien 4 is so goofy, I think I kinda love it

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alien Resurrection has a lot of individual components that are really cool, even if the complete package has some issues and a lack of a coherent vision tying it all together. It's got the most memorable, quotable characters since 'Aliens', the practical effects are really impressive (the Newborn puppet, the failed Ripley clones), making Ripley part-Alien is a novel way to explore her character further, and the underwater/ladder sequence is a really well done action setpiece.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing about Resurrection that sticks with me most is the Newborn screaming

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I get the feeling when I watch Resurrection that Jeunet wasn't allowed to go far enough. If he were given carte blanche to go full-Jeunet I think the movie would have maybe not been well-received on release, but would have stood the test of time a lot better than it has.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Resurrection has Whedon dialogue all over it, rendering it unwatchable. Like not even Brad Dourif could deliver that poo poo, and he was able to make the most of his appearance on Star Trek Voyager.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Alien Resurrection has a lot of individual components that are really cool, even if the complete package has some issues and a lack of a coherent vision tying it all together. It's got the most memorable, quotable characters since 'Aliens', the practical effects are really impressive (the Newborn puppet, the failed Ripley clones), making Ripley part-Alien is a novel way to explore her character further, and the underwater/ladder sequence is a really well done action setpiece.

She is illegal because all the autons rebelled, if I recall.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

zVxTeflon posted:

You like that the alien pops out making her sacrifice worthless?

Ripley could of just like leaned over the edge and shot out the alien as it burst from her chest into the lava and lived.

She could of then turned around and did a Mentos ad. Alien Franchise I have saved you.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Black Bones posted:

Alien 4 is so goofy, I think I kinda love it

The space wal-mart line makes me think poo poo went the way of Idiocracy back on good ole earth.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Xenomrph posted:

I've never thought about Predator as a Vietnam movie, but as I'm thinking about it I can kinda see how it would work. But if the Predator is the Vietcong, an unpredictable enemy that uses the jungle itself to wage unconventional warfare, then who do the rebels that Dutch and co thoroughly stomp represent?

This is from a while back, but Predator is an incredible sendup of the eighties Vietnam revisionist trend.

The first two acts of the film reads like a Cliff Notes version of the Vietnam conflict. You've got a full squad of guys who could each star in their own Rambo spinoff franchise, armed with the greatest gear and the coolest one-liners, sent by a CIA agent on a hero's quest in a jungle. They go in full of piss and vinegar and absolutely annihilate the enemy they expected (in your question, it'd be a stand-in for the NVA).

Almost immediately it becomes apparent that the CIA agent was not honest with them and the soldiers are questioning their motives for being where they are. They are picked off one by one by an enemy that they cannot fully understand. They pour firepower into the jungle and accomplish nothing of value besides wasting their resources. When they try to wage guerilla warfare against it their trapped are easily defeated. Ironically, by listening and interacting with a local they discover things to use against The Jungle but by then it's far too late in the engagement. Their only goal is to cut their losses and leave by helicopter with the friendly locals in a direct echo of the fall of Saigon.

The third act is when the film ventures into the Rambo-style Vietnam revisionism, except that Schwarzenegger turns into Colonel Kurtz instead of John Rambo. The only effective way he finds to fight the predator is to become the predator. He makes himself invisible to it and lures it into an ambush, wounding it and destroying its technological edge. We see the predator standing bewildered and firing wildly into the trees in a direct echo of the earlier scene of the squad pouring lead into the jungle. Eventually Schwarzenegger exploits the same hubris and bravado his team displayed earlier when he tricks the Predator - he lures it into an obvious trap and crushes it when it pauses to gloat over its superiority.

The final face to face scene has Arnold and The Predator mutually asking each other "What the hell are you" because by that point in the movie, they've utterly switched roles.

Predator is way too goddamn smart for a movie about Jesse Ventura talking how he ain't got time to bleed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MonsieurChoc posted:

As I was designing it, it became "real" within the dream and started moving towards me with it's horrible appendages and I started trying to think of something else to make it go away.

Then I woke up and there still like four hours left before I had to get up. I managed to sleep again, eventually.

Having this same nightmare repeatedly was basically Geiger's reason for doing cocaine and why his art was why it was going by interviews with him and anecdotes from others during Alien's production on the special features.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Wild T posted:

The third act is when the film ventures into the Rambo-style Vietnam revisionism, except that Schwarzenegger turns into Colonel Kurtz instead of John Rambo.
There does seem to be a bit of Apocalypse Now in the third act, but why Kurtz and not Willard, what with the mud paint and murdering rather than cult leading.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

The other day I was wondering if Predator is really an action movie remake of Apocalypse Now, glad to see I'm not totally crazy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone see Leviathan?

Leviathan is a 1989 science fiction horror film directed by George P. Cosmatos and written by David Peoples and Jeb Stuart. It stars Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Ernie Hudson, and Daniel Stern. It follows the crew of an underwater geological facility as they are stalked and killed by a hideous creature.

Its basically alien 1 underwater. Underwater truckers. Main actor is the guy who played ROBOCOP!

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Wow, that's some cast. My favourite cyborg, Ghostbuster, Wet Bandit, and full-bird colonel all in one movie!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

punchymcpunch posted:

Wow, that's some cast. My favourite cyborg, Ghostbuster, Wet Bandit, and full-bird colonel all in one movie!

Leviathan is a neat movie, it's as if they put Alien, The Abyss, and The Thing in a blender. It's pretty schlocky but as long as you go in with the appropriate mindset and expectations, it's a good time.

And if you want to do a schlock underwater monster movie double feature, pair it with DeepStar Six. :v:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Man, so that movie is called DeepStar Six? I haven't seen the cover since the time of Blockbusters.

I tried to remember what this movie cover was from and I always used to think it was The Abyss.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just remember the scene with the diving suit and Miguel Ferrer's character exploding from decompression.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is all you need to know about Leviathan.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DeepStar Six has such a better setup even though all it is a story that for some reason the navy is building deep sea missile bases. Leviathan's crew is just at the bottom of the sea violating safety protocol.

My favorite part of DeepStar Six, So the navy leaves the crew a computer to tell them what to do. So they type in the creature is aggressive and the navy instructions are to blow up the missiles. Why in the hell the navy just give them the missiles while making the base? So they blow up all their nukes and it damages the base. The base for some reason is powered by nuclear power and is damaged starts to meltdown. WTF Navy how did that help anything? If you get attacked just pull a predator?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 18, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

This is all you need to know about Leviathan.

I thought it was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X6rkW9UUaE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
An easy to mistake to make, Leviathan, DeepStar Six and The Abyss all came out in 1989, like Dante's Peak and Volcano both coming out in 1997, though amazingly DeepStar Six and Leviathan both beat The Abyss to the punch by several months.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

An easy to mistake to make, Leviathan, DeepStar Six and The Abyss all came out in 1989, like Dante's Peak and Volcano both coming out in 1997, though amazingly DeepStar Six and Leviathan both beat The Abyss to the punch by several months.

Wikipedia mentions that there were 3 other similar underwater triller movies that also came out in 1989/1990 but I haven't seen them: The Rift, The Evil Below, and Lords of the Deep.

6 themed movies in roughly a year, is that a record?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

The first hour or so is a passable action flick with a few genuinely enjoyable bits. It doesn't feel like an Alien movie though and the Ripley-alien hybrid twist at the end just sends it flying off the rails.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anos posted:

The first hour or so is a passable action flick with a few genuinely enjoyable bits. It doesn't feel like an Alien movie though and the Ripley-alien hybrid twist at the end just sends it flying off the rails.

What twist?

Also when you say it doesn't feel like an Alien movie, what do you mean?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wild T posted:

This is from a while back, but Predator is an incredible sendup of the eighties Vietnam revisionist trend.

The first two acts of the film reads like a Cliff Notes version of the Vietnam conflict. You've got a full squad of guys who could each star in their own Rambo spinoff franchise, armed with the greatest gear and the coolest one-liners, sent by a CIA agent on a hero's quest in a jungle. They go in full of piss and vinegar and absolutely annihilate the enemy they expected (in your question, it'd be a stand-in for the NVA).

Almost immediately it becomes apparent that the CIA agent was not honest with them and the soldiers are questioning their motives for being where they are. They are picked off one by one by an enemy that they cannot fully understand. They pour firepower into the jungle and accomplish nothing of value besides wasting their resources. When they try to wage guerilla warfare against it their trapped are easily defeated. Ironically, by listening and interacting with a local they discover things to use against The Jungle but by then it's far too late in the engagement. Their only goal is to cut their losses and leave by helicopter with the friendly locals in a direct echo of the fall of Saigon.

The third act is when the film ventures into the Rambo-style Vietnam revisionism, except that Schwarzenegger turns into Colonel Kurtz instead of John Rambo. The only effective way he finds to fight the predator is to become the predator. He makes himself invisible to it and lures it into an ambush, wounding it and destroying its technological edge. We see the predator standing bewildered and firing wildly into the trees in a direct echo of the earlier scene of the squad pouring lead into the jungle. Eventually Schwarzenegger exploits the same hubris and bravado his team displayed earlier when he tricks the Predator - he lures it into an obvious trap and crushes it when it pauses to gloat over its superiority.

The final face to face scene has Arnold and The Predator mutually asking each other "What the hell are you" because by that point in the movie, they've utterly switched roles.

Predator is way too goddamn smart for a movie about Jesse Ventura talking how he ain't got time to bleed.

"Here we are again, bro. Just you and me. Same kind of moon, same kind of jungle."

The point of Predator is not that it's Vietnam, but that it's archetypal. The moon and the jungle have been there since long before the dawn of man, and 'Vietnam' is just one of the latest names for them.

Mac's line above, spoken to a corpse, predicts the end of the film - where we can imagine Dutch speaking those very same lines to the creature:

"Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat. We walk out, just you and me - nobody else. Right on top, huh?"

Here's something no-one really notices in Predator: Mac gets Dillon to turn around by pointing at the trees, then stabs at the scorpion crawling on his back. What people miss is that Mac's fake-out distraction points right at the real creature, who was silently hiding there the whole time. From the creature's perspective, Mac is pointing right at him, then callously stabbing the scorpion - displaying it. "Anytime."

He contemplates this.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

What twist?

Also when you say it doesn't feel like an Alien movie, what do you mean?

In the first 3 it feels like human beings in a horrible and scary situation. In Resurrection the characters are more like action-man tropes and caricatures with various gimmicks. It's fun and all but it's a departure from the previous movies. Aliens is probably most like Resurrection but the tone is still very different. The most intense action scenes were basically people being confused and scared shitless, spraying bullets into a dark room while being butchered. The marines aren't hyper realistic or anything but they also died like flies so there's still a sense of powerlessness and dread.

Contrast with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Mf_nTyWBc

That's action-man being a hardcore badass. That's fine but I can't think of anything resembling that in any of the previous movies. There's a guy on a ladder with a shotgun-dwarf strapped to his back while another guy is hanging upside down dual wielding laser guns at an alien that is literally dodging bullets BLLAAARRGH DIE MOTHERFUCKER. Cut straight to comedy spider scene. It's fun and colorful action but that's IMO not characteristic for the franchise.

The twist is the Alien-Ripley hybrid which I think was completely unnecessary but to each his own.

Bates fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 19, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Here we are again, bro. Just you and me. Same kind of moon, same kind of jungle."

The point of Predator is not that it's Vietnam, but that it's archetypal. The moon and the jungle have been there since long before the dawn of man, and 'Vietnam' is just one of the latest names for them.

Mac's line above, spoken to a corpse, predicts the end of the film - where we can imagine Dutch speaking those very same lines to the creature:

"Whole platoon, 32 men chopped into meat. We walk out, just you and me - nobody else. Right on top, huh?"

Here's something no-one really notices in Predator: Mac gets Dillon to turn around by pointing at the trees, then stabs at the scorpion crawling on his back. What people miss is that Mac's fake-out distraction points right at the real creature, who was silently hiding there the whole time. From the creature's perspective, Mac is pointing right at him, then callously stabbing the scorpion - displaying it. "Anytime."

He contemplates this.

This poo poo is so much better than "well in the official Predator handbook blah blah blah" because it's also an insight into the thought processes of the actual people making the movie instead of an insight to a bunch of sweaty nerds trying to fit any little detail mentioned by the movie into their cramped continuity boxes. I'd rather disseminate what McTiernan and Black were going for than learning the technical name of the Predator's loving med pack.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

This poo poo is so much better than "well in the official Predator handbook blah blah blah" because it's also an insight into the thought processes of the actual people making the movie instead of an insight to a bunch of sweaty nerds trying to fit any little detail mentioned by the movie into their cramped continuity boxes. I'd rather disseminate what McTiernan and Black were going for than learning the technical name of the Predator's loving med pack.
No one has even asked about anything even remotely "lore" related in the past 3 pages, homeslice, but keep on screaming into the abyss if that's what gets you off. :)
Or to quote someone else's post that was directed at you:

Clipperton posted:

Do you think you have it in you to make one constructive or interesting post itt? It's cool if you don't :)

And speaking of constructive...

Anos posted:

In the first 3 it feels like human beings in a horrible and scary situation. In Resurrection the characters are more like action-man tropes and caricatures with various gimmicks. It's fun and all but it's a departure from the previous movies. Aliens is probably most like Resurrection but the tone is still very different. The most intense action scenes were basically people being confused and scared shitless, spraying bullets into a dark room while being butchered. The marines aren't hyper realistic or anything but they also died like flies so there's still a sense of powerlessness and dread.

Contrast with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14Mf_nTyWBc

That's action-man being a hardcore badass. That's fine but I can't think of anything resembling that in any of the previous movies. There's a guy on a ladder with a shotgun-dwarf strapped to his back while another guy is hanging upside down dual wielding laser guns at an alien that is literally dodging bullets BLLAAARRGH DIE MOTHERFUCKER. Cut straight to comedy spider scene. It's fun and colorful action but that's IMO not characteristic for the franchise.

The twist is the Alien-Ripley hybrid which I think was completely unnecessary but to each his own.
I can understand where you're coming from in terms of the characters never really feeling like they're in danger, and part of that is arguably Whedon's "quippy" script. I think it never really bothered me for two reasons: first, because the characters are fun to watch and I tend to be less critical of "bad" (or tonally inappropriate) writing/filmmaking when I'm having fun, and second, the tone for the whole series shifts pretty heavily from movie to movie so I'm pretty open to tone shifts in general. If anything, the tone shifts are part of what make each movie interesting for me, although I can understand how the lack of "danger" is a bit incongruous with the first three.

As for the hybrid, you mean the white Newborn alien, right? You're not talking about how Ripley herself is something of a hybrid?

I never really saw the Newborn as a "twist", at least not any more so than, say, having the Queen show up at the end of 'Aliens'. The movie sort of foreshadows it, too, although it's not as on-the-nose about it as 'Aliens' (director's cut) is with the Queen. The movie establishes that Ripley took significant genetic material from the Queen, so it stands to reason that it was a two way street.

I didn't like the Newborn at first, but I've grown to appreciate it over the years. On a purely technical level it's a really visually interesting animatronic that's amazingly expressive, and it has this sort of tragic Brundlefly-esque design (albeit without Brundlefly's asymmetry). You get this real sense that the Newborn is an unnatural creation that's trying to figure out what it is and where it fits into the world, and it outright rejects its Alien origins much like Ripley rejects her human origins through much of the movie. From the way it moves and emotes you can tell it's a being of reason very different from the regular Aliens, which act out of instinct and reason driven to preserve and propagate the species even at the expense of the individual. The Newborn's actions are all about the individual, right up to the point where it recognizes that Ripley betrayed it, and it recognizes its own mortality as it dies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jesus i forgot about the alien matrix dodging bullets. lol what a poo poo movie

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

zVxTeflon posted:

jesus i forgot about the alien matrix dodging bullets. lol what a poo poo movie

I'm more impressed how that character could even think that was the best idea and or why he missed every single shot. When the acid blinds him, it is the worst cg ever.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Tenzarin posted:

I'm more impressed how that character could even think that was the best idea and or why he missed every single shot. When the acid blinds him, it is the worst cg ever.

Woof yeah. I haven't seen Resurrection in forever and now I remember why.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The CG acid, the bullets moving so slow you can see them move as if it's matrix-time, and the whole tone of that scene have destroyed the tiny itchy I had to maybe give that movie another chance since it first came out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I probably won't watch it again until I eventually upgrade my Alien Anthology DVD set to the Quadrilogy blu ray. I'm not going to sit through it if I can't at least have the Jeunet visuals in the best possible quality.

That Quadrilogy blu ray is pretty cheap these days, I should just go for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

I probably won't watch it again until I eventually upgrade my Alien Anthology DVD set to the Quadrilogy blu ray. I'm not going to sit through it if I can't at least have the Jeunet visuals in the best possible quality.

If you're looking for it, you've got the names backwards - the DVD is the Quadrilogy, and the bluray is the Anthology.

Also if price is a factor, look into the UK release (Amazon.co.uk, etc). I actually have the UK version because it was cheaper at the time I bought it, it's not region-locked, and the disc contents are identical. The packaging is a little different but it's still good.

The bluray set is worth the upgrade for Aliens and Alien3 alone - Aliens looks incredible, and the Assembly Cut of Alien3 has been further restored and enhanced from the DVD version (going so far as to get the original actors to come back and record new ADR for the added scenes).

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 19, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Paolomania posted:

There does seem to be a bit of Apocalypse Now in the third act, but why Kurtz and not Willard, what with the mud paint and murdering rather than cult leading.

It had more to do with Kurtz's speeches in Apocalypse Now about realizing that the NVA were unbeatable unless the US was willing to become just as brutal and amoral. Dutch recognizes that his team has repeatedly failed because they stuck to what they knew. Only after his friends and equipment are stripped away and he's literally regressed to a caveman can he accept and adopt his enemy's tactics.

I think it's another interesting point that the word 'predator' is never used. The first time it strikes, it's only referred to as "The Jungle." It's a living embodiment of the US's failed tactics and hubris that proved futile against an undefined enemy. In the final act Dutch coats himself in mud, fashions weapons from the trees and literally incorporates The Jungle into himself.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The thing that I always thought was cool about Apocalypse Now is that outside of a photo at the beginning of the film, that is all you basically see of Kurtz for the whole movie. I basically went through the whole film not even sure if Kurtz even existed anymore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

The thing that I always thought was cool about Apocalypse Now is that outside of a photo at the beginning of the film, that is all you basically see of Kurtz for the whole movie. I basically went through the whole film not even sure if Kurtz even existed anymore.
I remember reading that a lot of that was an unintentional byproduct of Marlon Brando being massively uncooperative while filming, and Coppola having to make do with what he could get.

A cursory Google search brings up a few articles about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/telluride-francis-ford-coppola-spills-729281

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55bf66e1e4b06363d5a29e84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

You better hurry. It's out of print.