Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

420 laser ship Molotov supremacy!

After watching that how to aim video and learning how to properly lead shots, this thing is a citadel destroying monster. There is nothing greater than landing the ridiculously tight volley right in the center at the waterline, evaporating whatever poor dumb SOB who went broadside to me. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Well my main reasoning for wanting to take SE is my usual gameplan is to roll onto a point and swat away other DDs, but things can get real ugly if the other DD is also US and knows what he's doing. But yeah you're right that DE is way more useful all around.

Definately SE or DE as opposed to AFT. I went with SE on my Fletcher, my reasoning being that with the value of caps, and the Fletcher being arguably the best torpedo boat in the game, the principle objective is to cap and remain alive at all costs in order to be able to basically launch torpedos all match.

I don't think DE helps at all in knife fight with another DD in a cap, either you or he will be dead long before a fire or two makes any difference. SE is definately better in that situation. DE shines in being able to frequently start fires on CAs and BBs.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Budyonny is down in the special place with the Myogi and one of the low tier German ones that I forgot because they all start with K as the singular worst ships to exist in the game, and I'm seriously considering burning half my free XP just to get out of the shittacular thing before it makes me quit the game again for another 3 months.

Any tier 6 that bounces AP shells on the broadside of a loving Kuma needs to be taken out behind the shed, and replaced in the tree with something that's actually playable, I mean for fucks sake, I can citadel a Kuma to death with a Clemson.

e: Just really loving angry that I get 1 more battle before the reset, I take out the Budyonny, I get a top tier game with 3 battleships, 1 destroyer, and 11 cruiser per side, of which all bar a Cleveland are tier 5 and 4, and all I can manage is 71 hits from 303 shells that do a paltry 3 fires (with the DE skill) and 36k damage, because these guns are utterly, completely worthless, before getting boom citadeled by a Fuso. Fuckit.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 19, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

The Budyonny is down in the special place with the Myogi and one of the low tier German ones that I forgot because they all start with K as the singular worst ships to exist in the game, and I'm seriously considering burning half my free XP just to get out of the shittacular thing before it makes me quit the game again for another 3 months.

Any tier 6 that bounces AP shells on the broadside of a loving Kuma needs to be taken out behind the shed, and replaced in the tree with something that's actually playable, I mean for fucks sake, I can citadel a Kuma to death with a Clemson.

e: Just really loving angry that I get 1 more battle before the reset, I take out the Budyonny, I get a top tier game with 3 battleships, 1 destroyer, and 11 cruiser per side, of which all bar a Cleveland are tier 5 and 4, and all I can manage is 71 hits from 303 shells that do a paltry 3 fires (with the DE skill) and 36k damage, because these guns are utterly, completely worthless, before getting boom citadeled by a Fuso. Fuckit.

You're in for a nasty surprise, the next two ships in the line have the exact same guns.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Krogort posted:

You're in for a nasty surprise, the next two ships in the line have the exact same guns.

:suicide:

Why can't one of them have the same guns as the Kirov/Donskoi?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Literally staggered that someone can complain about the Budyonny. What exactly do you want from a cruiser? Its actually a better ship overall than the T7 Schchors, and easier to spell too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

Literally staggered that someone can complain about the Budyonny. What exactly do you want from a cruiser? Its actually a better ship overall than the T7 Schchors, and easier to spell too.

I want it to do at least one thing well, when it does nothing well. It doesn't do useful damage, it can't take a hit, and it can't dodge a hit. I want to be able to fire AP shells from my tier 6 cruiser and not have them bounce on the flat sides, or from plunging into the wooden deck armour, of tier 4, 5 and 6 cruisers, which the Budyonny does repeatedly.

It needs to be stuck in the wash and shrunk down to the size of an actual cruiser instead of the battleship it is now, be given bigger rudders, or get AP shells that can actually pierce armour. It's almost unplayable as it is now. A boost to make the AA more than decorative wouldn't go astray, but I guess someone has to have the weakest AA.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 19, 2016

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

For some sick reason, I'm awful with the Budy and yet I'm awesome with the Kutuzov? :iiam:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

guidoanselmi posted:

For some sick reason, I'm awful with the Budy and yet I'm awesome with the Kutuzov? :iiam:

Probably because the Budyonny is the worst ship in tier, while the Kutuzov is a blatantly OP premium

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Same RoF I think and lovely guns, smoke isn't very useful, bigger, and worse armor at tier. At range the shell speed/dispersion loses its effect. Dunno how it's OP.

Taking 6k off of BB superstructure with AP is not uncommon. I find myself having a lot less opportunities to do that in a Budy

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

NTRabbit posted:

Probably because the Budyonny is the worst ship in tier, while the Kutuzov is a blatantly OP premium

However the Budy has much better firepower for its tier.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

guidoanselmi posted:

Same RoF I think and lovely guns, smoke isn't very useful, bigger, and worse armor at tier. At range the shell speed/dispersion loses its effect. Dunno how it's OP.

Taking 6k off of BB superstructure with AP is not uncommon. I find myself having a lot less opportunities to do that in a Budy

Pretty sure the Kutuzov can stealth fire, the Budonny definitely can't. Lack of armour isn't all that relevant when nobody can see you to shoot at you.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I don't normally resort to stats but these stats are so empahatic that to my mind leave no doubt as to the best T6 cruiser. Obviously I don't count the Molotov, as a Premium:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

kaesarsosei posted:

I don't normally resort to stats but these stats are so empahatic that to my mind leave no doubt as to the best T6 cruiser. Obviously I don't count the Molotov, as a Premium:

I'm really not sure how that happens. I can't seem to do decent damage in it with any kind of consistency.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

My Nurnberg win rate was 62.96%, and average damage 38k, I fail to see how that many people could drive such a super ship that poorly.

Also those survival rates seem ludicrously high, my Nurnberg was at 15%, Budyonny at 12%, Aoba at 26% and Cleveland at 38%

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 19, 2016

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Finally finished with the Fuso and upgraded straight away to the Nagato. It is a loving monster and a blast to play. 10/10 would recommend

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
the butt toucher is fine, GIT GUD

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Have a new(er) warship getting shot all to poo poo. USS Thach, a Perry-class frigate, gets hit with 4 Harpoons, a few Hellfires, apparently a Standard or two, a Mk 84 2000-lb bomb, a GBU-12 500-lb bomb, and Mk 48 ADCAP to send it to the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzn5L-82GdE

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phanatic posted:

Have a new(er) warship getting shot all to poo poo. USS Thach, a Perry-class frigate, gets hit with 4 Harpoons, a few Hellfires, apparently a Standard or two, a Mk 84 2000-lb bomb, a GBU-12 500-lb bomb, and Mk 48 ADCAP to send it to the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzn5L-82GdE

And it still took 12 hours to go down. Granted, it wasn't carrying anything explosive or flammable, but it proves the Perrys were superbly-built ships.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Was it loaded up with fuel and gun food (or equivalent) or was this just the straight hull taking the beating?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Forums Terrorist posted:

Was it loaded up with fuel and gun food (or equivalent) or was this just the straight hull taking the beating?

"Granted, it wasn't carrying anything explosive or flammable"

They don't let you sink ships full of bombs and pollutants anymore. At least, not deliberately.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It just occurred to me that them making Situational Awareness global means no more swapping captains to a new boat and having to deal with no spotted indicator. :toot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Insert name here posted:

It just occurred to me that them making Situational Awareness global means no more swapping captains to a new boat and having to deal with no spotted indicator. :toot:

This was the worst part of retraining destroyer captains, especially the Japanese ones that rely on it for stealth torping but, at best, have a Kamikaze R for retraining. During the last 3x event, which also conveniently had a captain bonus for ranked, I retrained my new Mahan captain in my Sims in just 3 ranked battles from 18k up to 37.5k or whatever that level is.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

Thats a good point, how many WW1/2 era ship sank because of what they were carrying rather than the damage inflicted? Every British ship at Jutland, and HMS Hood all sank because of magazine issues/poor practices.

The Yamato/Musashi are good examples of ships that sank due to extreme punishment and they took a ridiculous amount of damage.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I bought a Saipan during the weekend sale there and I have to say, I'm enjoying it. Its a very nice credit earner, if I sink 1-2 ships, do 60k damage, shoot 20 or so planes I can count on 300k creds before flags, and thats nearly always without much repair costs. I would say thats an average game for me currently. The fast planes and fast turnaround makes it a lot more enjoyable so far than my stock-Essex grind.

Also, I've had a few matches against what might be stock Rangers and I don't think I've seen anything as unfair in the game. I watched one Ranger 6-fighter squadron follow a 3-torpedo squadron across the map, fail to shoot any of my planes down, and lost 3 of his own in the process.

Edit:

Some interesting CV MM changes coming in the next patch:

Ryujo/Independence: battle levels changed from 6/7/8 to 6/7 (preferential MM)
Hiryu/Ranger/Saipan: battle levels changed from 7/8/9 to 7/8 (preferential MM)
Lexington/Shokaku: battle levels changed from 8/9/10 to 8/9 (preferential MM)

I keep a Zuiho for seal-clubbing, I might upgrade that to a Ryujo now since it no longer has to deal with Tier 8 AA. A 3/1/1 Ryujo might also be a good way to farm Clear Skies flags.

kaesarsosei fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jul 20, 2016

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
We now have artillery shells that won't explode unless purposely ignited.
Don't know about their use on ships tho.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

kaesarsosei posted:

Also, I've had a few matches against what might be stock Rangers and I don't think I've seen anything as unfair in the game. I watched one Ranger 6-fighter squadron follow a 3-torpedo squadron across the map, fail to shoot any of my planes down, and lost 3 of his own in the process.
I've promised myself I'm going to get an Essex at some point and I'm just dreading the loving Ranger the Lexington grinds. :whitewater: And then probably exclusively play co-op battles in it and just admire my sweet rear end boat because I assume the only people still playing CVs at tier 9 will poo poo all over me and then my team because I brought that fucker into the match with me.

Speaking of CV games I played a game in my Independence recently and I helped poo poo over the enemy Independence by shooting down half his planes and he ended up losing the other half to AA. He ended up scoring a grand total of 18 base XP and I just felt loving bad. :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ranger is ok, because you finally get a hangar capacity that can deal with attrition, and you also get two of the useful US dive bomber squadrons, plus once you have the upgrades, skills and modules the fighters are quite good. The main problem is the same as the Independence, not enough squadrons to handle a fighter fit IJN carrier, and the 90 second reload time if your fighter squadron is completely shot down.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

kaesarsosei posted:

I loved the Nurmeburg and did very well in it. It's a great kiter.

Also, although I'm taking a break from botes, I downloaded the test server and looked at the models for the German BB's. Unless my memory is failing me, no 11 inch guns for the Gneisenau class. :hitler:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
The budyonny is easily one of my worst cruisers ever played and lowest WTR... in fact the only things lower than it, Emden, Kolberg, Hermelin. But hey that's just me, 1025 WTR in it. I'm rated an "excellent" cruiser player.

Nurnberg felt like I could do a lot more damage, and just wrecked BB even with it's AP. In fact, my best cruisers are the Nurnberg and the Yorck. WTR 1600 and 2000 respectively.

So maybe different paddles for different folks.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

NTRabbit posted:

Ranger is ok, because you finally get a hangar capacity that can deal with attrition, and you also get two of the useful US dive bomber squadrons, plus once you have the upgrades, skills and modules the fighters are quite good. The main problem is the same as the Independence, not enough squadrons to handle a fighter fit IJN carrier, and the 90 second reload time if your fighter squadron is completely shot down.
Yeah I had a Ranger back in the CBT and I remember being really happy I could finally eat a couple of plane losses without worrying too hard, though this was back in the glory days of US CVs where you could get 2 TBs on them and you had a Saipan at T6. That said I sure as hell am not going to run 2/0/2 once I get to the Ranger, especially since you don't get the 1000lb bombs yet.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, what was the point of putting Krasny Krym in the game? Because holy poo poo does it look terrible. Like, in relative tier terms, worse than the Mikasa terrible. And that ship was free; you have to pay for this junker.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

So, what was the point of putting Krasny Krym in the game? Because holy poo poo does it look terrible. Like, in relative tier terms, worse than the Mikasa terrible. And that ship was free; you have to pay for this junker.

Need something more to sell to collectors.

Its funny, but not surprising, how over represented the Russian tree is with premium ships. They now have 3 mid tier cruisers, a destroyer, some low tier things, a battleship and a high tier cruiser.

Most everyone else has squat.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

I think they meant to fill in the Tier IV premium Soviet/Russian cruiser gap, but accidentally made it Tier V instead.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Cash grab. It was a free ship after some mission thing on the ru cluster originally.

Now, why they didn't do something similar on the other clusters, I don't know.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
NA is still on the shitlist for the Murmansk incident..

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

New Co-Op mood sounds neat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

CitizenKain posted:

Its funny, but not surprising, how over represented the Russian tree is with premium ships. They now have 3 mid tier cruisers, a destroyer, some low tier things, a battleship and a high tier cruiser.

Not including gift ships, the US has 9 premiums, Soviets 8, IJN 6, Germany 3, but it should be noted that at least 2 of the Soviet ones are so lolOP that they'll never be sold again.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

NTRabbit posted:

Not including gift ships, the US has 9 premiums, Soviets 8, IJN 6, Germany 3, but it should be noted that at least 2 of the Soviet ones are so lolOP that they'll never be sold again.

I've a feeling they'll sell the Grem again...they'll just make it horrendously overpriced - make you pay Tirpitz prices for a T5 DD.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

German BB stats.