Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
:siren: GLIDE-R-TRON IS NOW AVAILABLE :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWjGXOx4fXw

also another season 3 trailer I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJtqbid9x6o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

DonVincenzo posted:

Could be worse, you could actually be at work at 4am when it happens. :smithicide:

Goondolences Don :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

*removes wallet from jorts*

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I'm glad to see more stuff about the living season. Still, is it just me or is this an odd time to bring up the White Mantle story arc? We just got to this massive jungle filled with brand new people, areas, and plot threads, yet we're getting bounced back to Kryta to wrap up a GW1 story. Aside from the raid and the bandit events, they haven't been involved with Heart of Thorns.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
So I haven't played since early 2013: Should I give this another shot?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Someone do the rest of the HoT personal story with me before this new one comes out, it got so loving boring that I just gave up and have had zero desire to ever finish it, but it might be tolerable with someone else. I'm on some step to follow anime charr's dumb footprints in a starship troopers bug tunnel or something.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of these days I'll get around to finishing the HoT personal story. I'm not sure why but I always feel compelled to give the game one more chance.

Maybe I'll actually have the patience to not constantly get annoyed at just how drat long it'd take to get all the masteries.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Verbose posted:

So I haven't played since early 2013: Should I give this another shot?

What reason do you have not to?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Someone do the rest of the HoT personal story with me before this new one comes out, it got so loving boring that I just gave up and have had zero desire to ever finish it, but it might be tolerable with someone else. I'm on some step to follow anime charr's dumb footprints in a starship troopers bug tunnel or something.

Spoilers: you kill Mordremoth. Eir and Trahearne die in the process. A lost Asuran city in the jungle reveals that every elder dragon has a respective weakness. (What are they? Don't worry about it!) Mordremoth's death releases huge amounts of magic into the world, causing anomalies to form, dragon minions from the remaining dragons to rush around consuming it, and organizations like the Inquest, the Consortium, and the White Mantle coming out to gather it for their own uses.

Mizuti posted:

I'm glad to see more stuff about the living season. Still, is it just me or is this an odd time to bring up the White Mantle story arc? We just got to this massive jungle filled with brand new people, areas, and plot threads, yet we're getting bounced back to Kryta to wrap up a GW1 story. Aside from the raid and the bandit events, they haven't been involved with Heart of Thorns.

Aside from Rata Novus and Glint's egg in Tarir, there's really not much else to explore in the Jungle. The entire area was literally the actual Jungle Dragon so now that it's dead...yeah!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Two questions I'm sure are easy to answer:

1. Is the HoT living story still gated behind grinding out skills (traits?) or whatever the things are that make you fly harder or talk to different species... etc.

2. Do I need to complete the first story line to experience the new living story?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well in that case, someone do this with me asap so I can see this

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Dorkopotamis posted:

1. Is the HoT living story still gated behind grinding out skills (traits?) or whatever the things are that make you fly harder or talk to different species... etc.

2. Do I need to complete the first story line to experience the new living story?

1. Yes
2. No

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mizuti posted:

The White Mantle have been sort of lurking in the background for awhile now in the Maguuma Wastes especially. The champ bandit with the traps in Silverwastes for example, if you talk to the woman outside for information she tells you they believe they're part of some crazy old cult. There are white mantle symbols scattered throughout the Season 2 living story, etc.

Whether it will be any good we'll see but it is a plot line they've been hinting at for awhile now. I haven't really paid attention to the plot of raids so idk what they had going on there though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Dorkopotamis posted:

1. Yes, but they toned the gating way back compared to release. You need updrafts and level 1 in each of the three racial lores.

2. Nope. You'll be expected to know the broad strokes of the HoT plot though. Spoilers, it's that Mordremoth and a handful of B-listers died.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can do it yourself, and you should because Trahearne literally begs you to kill him and you press F to do it!!

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

CLAM DOWN posted:

After finishing the footsteps thing, you literally have one more 'big' instance and then just the final boss instance. And they're completely soloable!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's good, and no I know they're soloable, just so mindnumbingly boring and stupid and pointless that doing them with someone else may take away some of the tedium. Truly some of the worst story/quest style crap I've ever seen in am mmo.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010
Also in addition to the new trailer for Living Story 3 they announced the expansion is 50% off for a week starting tomorrow, if you bought the expansion from them in the last 30 days you can contact them for a refund on the difference

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I'm contemplating getting an additional character slot and making a ranger (aiming for druid eventually, obviously). Seems like it could be a fun to have more healing than I know what to do with.

But one thing is holding me back: lack of a good joke name. I'm just not creative enough. I was pondering sylvari just to see what sort of dumb nonsense the jungle dragon beams into your head during the HoT story. Best I could come up with was some sort of Canache impersonator named Canoche or Canoosh or something. But that seems pretty dumb...

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jul 20, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm contemplating getting an additional character slot and making a ranger (aiming for druid eventually, obviously). Seems like it could be a fun to have more healing than I know what to do with.

But one thing is holding me back: lack of a good joke name. I'm just not creative enough. I was pondering sylvari just to see what sort of dumb nonsense the jugle dragon beams into your head during the HoT story. Best I could come up with was some sort of Canache impersonator named Canoche or Canoosh or something. But that seems pretty dumb...

ItsRainingStamen

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's good, and no I know they're soloable, just so mindnumbingly boring and stupid and pointless that doing them with someone else may take away some of the tedium. Truly some of the worst story/quest style crap I've ever seen in am mmo.

If we're on at the same time, hit me up and I'll help you through it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Generic Octopus posted:

ItsRainingStamen

Oh, that's pretty good. Also probably pretty taken, but I guess I'll have to check. Is there any quick/easy way to see if a name is available without attempting to make a character?

CLAM DOWN posted:

You, uh, never completed it? It's not exactly super long, specially if you don't care about the achievements (although some of them can actually be moderately interesting to try and get).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

You, uh, never completed it? It's not exactly super long, specially if you don't care about the achievements (although some of them can actually be moderately interesting to try and get).

No? It was insanely boring and I don't want to play videogames in my limited free time that are insanely boring.

Spookyelectric posted:

If we're on at the same time, hit me up and I'll help you through it.

Cool ty

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Roc posted:

Also in addition to the new trailer for Living Story 3 they announced the expansion is 50% off for a week starting tomorrow, if you bought the expansion from them in the last 30 days you can contact them for a refund on the difference

This is tempting. I've been told Thief is crap though and I don't want to abandon my salad friend. How is the new class/ mesmer?

Dugong fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 20, 2016

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My friend made a guild and hasn't played in awhile, he wants to know what happened to influence and being able to create upgrades in the guild panel. The upgrade button is gone. He hasn't gotten far with it but he would like to hope his influence wasn't spent in vain.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ColoradoCleric posted:

My friend made a guild and hasn't played in awhile, he wants to know what happened to influence and being able to create upgrades in the guild panel. The upgrade button is gone. He hasn't gotten far with it but he would like to hope his influence wasn't spent in vain.

HoT revamped all that, we have guild halls and totally different currencies and mechanics now. I recommend the wiki.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Obligatum VII posted:

Oh, that's pretty good. Also probably pretty taken, but I guess I'll have to check. Is there any quick/easy way to see if a name is available without attempting to make a char

Send a whisper to the name in-game. If you get a "player is offline" message, the name is taken. If you get a "error: couldn't find that player" pop-up, it's free.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Send a whisper to the name in-game. If you get a "player is offline" message, the name is taken. If you get a "error: couldn't find that player" pop-up, it's free.

You can also attempt to add the name to your friends list with similar results but without the fear of actually engaging in whispers with a stranger.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

But one thing is holding me back: lack of a good joke name. I'm just not creative enough. I was pondering sylvari just to see what sort of dumb nonsense the jugle dragon beams into your head during the HoT story. Best I could come up with was some sort of Canache impersonator named Canoche or Canoosh or something. But that seems pretty dumb...

Asparagus Syndrome

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Tried this out a few days ago, and bought Heart of Thorns now that the price is 50%. So far I've got 3 characters done with their first personal story quest: A necromancer, an elementalist and an engineer. They all seem enjoyable in their own way, but i might lean a little towards elementalist so far. A few questions, hopefully someone can answer.

I usually play support roles, and enjoy those the most. Which professions are especially good at a support role? Doesn't have to be any of the three I've tried so far.

Is it worth gathering everything I see at my level? Copper ore, onions etc? Since there doesn't seem to be any skill increases or anything, I'm thinking i might be wasting my time.

Speaking of crafting, any direction in particular that is rewarding? Only started a little tailoring on my elementalist, but so far I haven't made anything useful.

Anything in particular I should be focusing on at low levels? Just running around and exploring, doing those hearts and events that pop up.

And lastly, is the European goon guild still active? Is it possible to get an invite if so?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sjonkel posted:

Is it worth gathering everything I see at my level? Copper ore, onions etc? Since there doesn't seem to be any skill increases or anything, I'm thinking i might be wasting my time.

You can sell everything at the trading post for a small profit, or ignore gathering entirely and just purchase ingredients when you need them. The gathering market is pretty saturated, but you might find vanilla in Caledon and chilli in Ascalon which is worth a decent bit.

Sjonkel posted:

Speaking of crafting, any direction in particular that is rewarding? Only started a little tailoring on my elementalist, but so far I haven't made anything useful.

It's pretty expensive to craft stuff that's relevant while leveling. People mostly use it to craft endgame items or to powerlevel characters, since getting to 400 skill in any discipline give you 7 full levels.

Sjonkel posted:

Anything in particular I should be focusing on at low levels? Just running around and exploring, doing those hearts and events that pop up.

Pretty much. You get a pretty solid reward for completing a zone 100% (all the hearts, points of interest, vistas and skill challenges there), so that's the standard focus.

Sjonkel posted:

And lastly, is the European goon guild still active? Is it possible to get an invite if so?

I, and a bunch of other Eurogoons, just play on a US server and are in the US goon guild. I can't speak for the EU guild but I think it's in poor shape.

Dreggon posted:

Asparagus Syndrome

holy poo poo

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Kajeesus posted:

holy poo poo

I know, right? That masterstroke convinced me. Somehow it wasn't taken, but now it is!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Sjonkel posted:

I usually play support roles, and enjoy those the most. Which professions are especially good at a support role? Doesn't have to be any of the three I've tried so far.
It depends a bit on what kind of support role you're thinking about. For most of GW2 PvE, there's no such thing as a pure support class, and you'll need to focus on DPS to a certain degree regardless. That said, Ranger and Mesmer are probably the most support-y classes with their HoT specializations, Druid and Chronomancer. Druid is the closest you can get to a healer, although focusing on healing is pretty useless outside of raids. That said, Druid also brings a lot of DPS boosts for the entire party and regardless of build and gear you will be able to pump out some heals when needed. Chronomancer is one of the trickiest classes to play, and they by far have the lowest DPS in the game so they need to compensate with support, aka pumping out quickness and alacrity (quickness makes all skills go quicker and alacrity reduces recharge on all skills) for the party, as well as having access to projectile reflection, CC, stability and condition removal if needed. Most classes are capable of bringing some kind of support though, it's just that in many cases the optimal way to build them for harder content is full DPS, but if you're mostly doing open world stuff you should experiment with whatever class, build and play style you enjoy.

quote:

I'd say yes. If you ever decide that you want to level crafting professions (probably after hitting max level), you're going to need those materials anyway and gathering early means you don't need to buy them later. Also, even if you don't you can sell the mats, and especially tier 2-4 mats can sell for a pretty nice amount.

quote:

Nah, crafting is not rewarding while leveling and you shouldn't focus on it before you have something specific you want that you need crafting for, unless you particularly enjoy doing it.

quote:

Yeah, map exploration is decent XP and gives some other rewards, and running event chains is the best way of getting XP. Also remember that you can go to zones below your own level and the game will scale you down appropriately so you still get decent XP and rewards.

quote:

There's currently no active goon guild on EU servers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dreggon, you're welcome

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Sjonkel posted:

Tried this out a few days ago, and bought Heart of Thorns now that the price is 50%. So far I've got 3 characters done with their first personal story quest: A necromancer, an elementalist and an engineer. They all seem enjoyable in their own way, but i might lean a little towards elementalist so far. A few questions, hopefully someone can answer.

You sound like me. I have only ever played support roles and healers in MMOs and it took me a long time to come to terms with that this archetype does not exist in GW2. Essentially everyone are dps'ers and everyone has a self heal skill (on button 6, the most powerful heals in the game) which they do need to use to stay alive even when classes with heal heavy builds are present.
The way this game works is that every profession (class) has multiple builds. Builds are a certain layout of traits (talents) and weapon choices that together create combos, synergies or generally work well together. A few of the professions has builds that are much more support oriented than some of their other builds. A few classes has very little support at all.

The ranger can have a very heal heavy build with its druid specialization. This build has very little personal dps and few boons (the GW2 word for buff)
The ranger can have a more dps oriented build that also throws out multiple buffs, but is unable to keep these permanently up.

The elementalist has a heal and boon heavy build under its tempest specialization. This type of build is called auramancer. It can be tweaked in various ways to offer more/less healing at the cost of personal dps.

The warrior can keep up a big stack of "might" (a boon that increases power) permanently through its normal gameplay but offers no other support in this build.

The revenant has a build that keeps multiple boons up permanently but this has a heavy upkeep of the revenant unique resource and means they can do little else than auto attack.

I have a ranger, elementalist and revenant at 80 and tried their support builds and have the most fun with the auramancer style of elementalist. I do decent dps and am fairly sustainable and constantly keep several buffs up on my allies (and myself). It has exactly the right amount of button clicking to be intersting without being too dependant on a perfect rotation.
The ranger didn't click with me as the "healing mode" is hidden behind an unlock mechanic (do x amount of damage or healing) and it only lasts for like 15 seconds.
The revenant has a ton of interesting skills, both mechanically and visually, but you don't get to do any of that if you play support.
Just keep in mind that "healer" in this game is comparable to e.g. a retribution paladin or enhancement shaman in WoW trying to play a dedicated healer. You can keep people alive for a little longer but you aren't saving anyone from the big boss attacks, it is up to each player to dodge those.

I have heard mesmer and guardian have supportive builds as well but i know nothing about them.

Disclaimer: i am by no means an expert, having only played the game for a month. The information above is my impressions on this topic

Sjonkel posted:

I am from europe and am in the EU goon guild as well as in the US guilds, as are some other people. The EU guild is very dead but since you can be in 5 guilds at once i haven't seen a need to leave it. I am not sure if there are anyone left that can invite. I joined it when the game had just released. I only played for a week and recently returned to the game. I had not gotten kicked for 3 years of inactivity :)

Join one or both of the US guilds. It doesn't matter what region you are in for many of the activities in the game. Chat, the trading post (auction house) and outdoor maps are global while dungeons are region specific. Only WvW is dependent on what realm you are on. I spent 1800 gems to join SFD on their home realm Maguuma so that i had the opportunity to WvW with them but in hindsight that was not the best use of my money as i have never seen any advertised WvW group. I am guessing this type of activity happens when us europeans have gone to bed.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 20, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Group advertising has never really been a thing, just put a note in guild chat saying you want to WvW and people will often join up! And unfortunately the normal WvWednesday time is when EU is in bed, but historically we have had an EU WvWednesday so maybe you guys could start that up again seeing as there's a few of you who are active and cool!

vvvv yeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 20, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Hey Arus do you still need to finish HoT story? I just got to the Tangled Depths missions and gently caress if I want to do that by myself.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Fair warning I definitely tried to name a character Asparagus Syndrome in the past and it was taken at the time, so it might have been forcibly freed by a mandatory rename, so good luck

(RIP Cosmic Fart Emperor)

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Quality thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
:siren: HoT is 50% for the 20th - 27th :siren:

Finally!

• Locked thread