Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Boo will walk right up to the edge of the cage and look me eye to eye. He will put his head right in my mouth. But touching him? Touching the Boo is verboten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/2aEX8hc.mp4

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Look at that insistent potato :kimchi:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So a tip for anyone thinking about making chop: be gentle with the spices. I put a bunch of red pepper flakes in mine and you'd be surprised how often a bird will grab your mouth while spicy.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Shirec posted:

So a tip for anyone thinking about making chop: be gentle with the spices. I put a bunch of red pepper flakes in mine and you'd be surprised how often a bird will grab your mouth while spicy.

I feed Taco whole jalapeños.

Spicy bird best bird.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
I can't remember whether I've posted in the bird thread before; but since birbmod so kindly got me my account back after 8 months of permaban purgatory I figured I should! I have three birds, I cinnamon cockatiel hen named Opal, who is two years old:

A whiteface boytiel named Jasper, who we got in May:

And yesterday, I began my first foray towards more complex birds than tiels and picked up this cinnamon turquoise GCC. His name is Peridot.

He and Jasper come from an AMAZING local birdlady and are hand fed and well started and I am so excited to venture outside of tiels for the first time. I'm a dog lady and a rat lady and a pig lady, so I'll probably have loads of questions as I learn about conures, so bear with me! First question: how do I deal with mouthiness? Right now he's just testing his beak on me to see what level of pressure I'll tolerate and when he moves beyond normal grooming and nibbling I just gently take his beak, remove it, and go NOPE loud enough to startle him while not taking my hand away from where it is. Is this correct or should I be doing something different?

Thanks birbladies! :love: :3:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

I feed Taco whole jalapeños.

Spicy bird best bird.

I like my birds like I like my salsa.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Chunky?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Green?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Spicy and prone to hurting me despite my love for them :saddowns:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Today, we moved Alexis to her new home. She was BEEP BEEPing loudly whenever she didn't get what she wanted, which was frequent when people are working from home and trying to take conference calls and in-person clients. Rather than spend years trying to get an adult bird to build up some frustration tolerance, her owner and I rehomed her to someone who doesn't work from home, but who is happy to have another velcro bird added to the flock. She got along so swimmingly with my green cheek that I had no reservations giving her a 100% endorsement for any home that does not have times that require relative quiet. I texted her new owner tonight: "welcome to hell!" She quickly replied, "HELL IS ADORABLE"

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
When I got to her new owner's apartment with Alexis, I heard her quaker squawking just like Alexis.

She's already sitting in my friend's hair preening it. I think this will be a great fit. :)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Aww that's awesome :3:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hi I'm Raddy and I like escaping past hands and being a bit creepy.

E: More creepy

E2: creeping intensifies

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 20, 2016

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I told you Indian Ringnecks were creepy!

No one believed me!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ooh shared cage is a no, Raddy is happy to be close to Mango butnotthatclose! It's not attacking just warning him not to try any snuggles.

E: they like each other's cages: good. All mango wants to do is dangle and Raddy wants to flap so this works out nicely

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

learnincurve posted:

Hi I'm Raddy and I like escaping past hands and being a bit creepy.

E: More creepy

E2: creeping intensifies

No one believed me!

It's like a Peter Pan-esque shadow bird.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So it seems very much like now they have met, Raddy is no longer that interested in Mango, now all of his attention is focused on...me.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the cockatoos have torn a second wire off the neighbour's antenna

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dreggon posted:

I have torn a second wire off the neighbour's antenna

Destruction of communication equipment is phase two of outpost capture.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Aint we the pretty birdies

smooosh the belly

Why hello there

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Superconsndar posted:

First question: how do I deal with mouthiness? Right now he's just testing his beak on me to see what level of pressure I'll tolerate and when he moves beyond normal grooming and nibbling I just gently take his beak, remove it, and go NOPE loud enough to startle him while not taking my hand away from where it is. Is this correct or should I be doing something different?

That sounds pretty solid to me. Conures tend to be mouthy/beaky, so teaching him how to (and now not to) communicate with it is important, especially early on. I don't really have much follow-up since it sounds like you're already managing him perfectly :derptiel:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My niece has learned how to say cockatiel :3: Well. "Cock'teeee" but she's 2 so it's close enough. Gonna turn her into a bird crazy, drat it.

She already loves Judah. When my sister asked her before we moved here who she was most excited was moving here, she paused and finally answered "birdie." She used to demand to FaceTime with him too.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 20, 2016

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

No one believed me!

They're an attempt to make a Furby competitor gone wrong

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mango's a destructive little sod. He likes to remove anything hanging in his cage and then poo poo all over them, lost some very expensive toys that way and now he's working on destroying everything that's in Raddy's old cage as well. Only thing he seems to like actually playing with are boredom breakers.so I got a couple more of those coming.

check this one out https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016BTEGWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

learnincurve posted:

Birds are destructive little sods.

ftfy

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

That sounds pretty solid to me. Conures tend to be mouthy/beaky, so teaching him how to (and now not to) communicate with it is important, especially early on. I don't really have much follow-up since it sounds like you're already managing him perfectly :derptiel:

Ok good, ty birbmod!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai posted:

My niece has learned how to say cockatiel :3: Well. "Cock'teeee" but she's 2 so it's close enough. Gonna turn her into a bird crazy, drat it.

She already loves Judah. When my sister asked her before we moved here who she was most excited was moving here, she paused and finally answered "birdie." She used to demand to FaceTime with him too.

Do cockatiels react much to webcams? I found footage of a moluccan cockatoo going berserk over Facetime.

"Hi Chucki hrrr Chuckers... Hrrr squee squee squee squee!!!"
\

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Superconsndar posted:

Ok good, ty birbmod!

Only thing I would change would be not saying no loud enough to startle it. I don't think it's a good idea to have it associate being startled with you moving its beak. Otherwise, I think it's fine.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I love that fingat became standard SA terminology after that debacle adventure.

I refer to Five Finger Death Punch as Five Fignat Face Fist and will never stop doing so. :colbert:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hey guys, I Scribe and I need a bit of help with Pazuzu.

Puberty has hit hard, and he has decided to become bitey. When I try and get him to step up, he either steps up, or decides that he doesn't want to leave the cage and starts biting. What do you guys suggest that we do to try and curtail this behavior. He is flighted, and when he gets bitey when I try and remove him from my head and put him on the floor like I did with Simon, he just flies back up. Scribe and I were thinking that we might have to clip his wings in order to make him reliant upon us to get around the house, but I am hoping that there is an alternative because he loves flying around with Simon and Gunter.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

So it's 90% settled that I'll be moving from a townhome into an apartment, and thus moving a Nanday and GCC into a smaller/less soundproof place. Any tips? I was going to start doing the night cage thing, in the hopes that would help a bit with morning hellos. I also have to sell my house, which I'm trying to figure out a good way to make sure they don't scare potential buyers. So, fun times ahead!!

jadebullet posted:

Hey guys, I Scribe and I need a bit of help with Pazuzu.

Puberty has hit hard, and he has decided to become bitey. When I try and get him to step up, he either steps up, or decides that he doesn't want to leave the cage and starts biting. What do you guys suggest that we do to try and curtail this behavior. He is flighted, and when he gets bitey when I try and remove him from my head and put him on the floor like I did with Simon, he just flies back up. Scribe and I were thinking that we might have to clip his wings in order to make him reliant upon us to get around the house, but I am hoping that there is an alternative because he loves flying around with Simon and Gunter.

Can you try putting him back in his cage for a bit? That's what I tend to do with mine, punishment time means they don't get cuddle times anymore.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It is possible to do a milder clip and see if that helps, it shouldn't just be plummeting like a rock. I'm Judah's case, trimming his wings every now and then is pretty much necessary. When he started hitting puberty and getting hormonal at times in the year, I tried everything they recommend over and over, and nothing worked until I finally got his wings clipped. He was still able to fly short distances but not to get very high. Most of the time I was able to let his feathers grow up so he had some fully flighted experience at times. But it was the only thing that has ever worked and I don't regret it at all. So don't be afraid to take that step if necessary just for a quick fix to start working on things long-term.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Also try moving literally everything that you can in his cage and completely re configuring it. I've heard that helps with cage aggressive birds who are otherwise tame. Never had a cage aggressive bird to try it on but when Bobby is bitey away from his cage a few days in a row, moving stuff in his cage has fixed it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
http://fat-birds.com/

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I deeply regret not clicking this yesterday :3: Holy poo poo

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
!!!!!!!!!! :stare:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Looking at photos of the birbs I've been sent from home so far, there seems to be a slight bias-

Steve: 3
Ohtori: 5
Inko: 20

And of those, Steve is only in photos with at least one other, and Ohtori only in two by himself. :v:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Y'ALL READY FOR THIS?

WHEN I SAY BEEP YOU SAY BOOP!

https://twitter.com/_tooty_/status/754843430300233728