Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Chasing that Chinese dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Kylra posted:

Chasing that Chinese dragon.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Someday it will all come back around.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

angerbeet posted:

Yeah, I got that sweet guard outift by stnading next to NPCs in Evil Men's Valley and abusing the cash-shop horse whistle and an autoclicker to buy thousands of throwing darts. Easier and more effective radish gain than by making tofu.

Eventually you got a weird daily quest that paid something like 20 wen for beating up a regular-strength NPC. My character still (probably) has all kinds of trash on it that is very clearly for friendship missions which were impossible to complete, or just not in the game yet. We did eventually find out what you were meant to do with that locket or whatever (which even said which NPC to give it to) but it wasn't actually implemented until near the end of the time I stopped playing, and of course it just led to another wild goose chase.

:allears:Chinagame:allears:

I remember grinding tofu next to some random guy there was a rumor about. Never maxed out my friendship with him because it drained too fast.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
There is a maximum level of friendship radishes you can gain in a day, so to get 20 NPCs to friendly with the daily friendship loss was more or less impossible without cheating.

I'd love to see a well-written guide as to what the gently caress was actually going on with those mechanics. Really any of the mechanics.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
Among ambitious but poorly-developed Chinese games, it's a common practice to start development on a 'cool' feature with no real foresight and once the realization that its completion is an unrealistic goal, leaving it half-implemented with little regard to how it fits with the rest of the game.

Age of Wushu was the epitome of that. A game full of half-implemented features. Most of them should have been taken at face-value, but we were mystified—tricked, even—by those that proved to have something under the surface and searched for complexity where it existed and, more frequently, where it did not.

In my opinion, that was a huge part of the magic; our enthusiastic (or otherwise) pursuit of fruitful and futile goals alike. The uncertainty and the unexpected made for memorable moments.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Liberatore posted:

Among ambitious but poorly-developed Chinese games, it's a common practice to start development on a 'cool' feature with no real foresight and once the realization that its completion is an unrealistic goal, leaving it half-implemented with little regard to how it fits with the rest of the game.

Age of Wushu was the epitome of that. A game full of half-implemented features. Most of them should have been taken at face-value, but we were mystified—tricked, even—by those that proved to have something under the surface and searched for complexity where it existed and, more frequently, where it did not.

In my opinion, that was a huge part of the magic; our enthusiastic (or otherwise) pursuit of fruitful and futile goals alike. The uncertainty and the unexpected made for memorable moments.

It's really true. Wushu was like all of those "I HEARD IF YOU WIN 200 TIMES WITHOUT DYING THEN GUILE GETS A GUN!" come to life. But like 1% of all of those things turned out to be true like the ancient fragments that made it all of the other things to maybe be possible.

Plus it was fun to spit on people and pile drive tigers. God I would play a wushu private server like in a heart beat.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am just happy I pulled a map from a horses rear end in tangman, learned there was 4 more map pieces, and kept searching animal butts but never found it.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I remember being one of the first people to chop off my dong and acquire ultimate power on the server, and then running around with other people who have chopped of their dongs, to forcefully chop off someone else's dong. I remember making over 80D by scamming the market by selling crafting materials at 0D 0L 60W and then changing one of the stack to 0D 60L 0W. For all of it's lovely half-assed poorly translated laggy as gently caress bullshit, I genuinly enjoyed most of my time in chinagame which is more than I can say for most MMOs.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

SweetBro posted:

I remember being one of the first people to chop off my dong and acquire ultimate power on the server, and then running around with other people who have chopped of their dongs, to forcefully chop off someone else's dong. I remember making over 80D by scamming the market by selling crafting materials at 0D 0L 60W and then changing one of the stack to 0D 60L 0W. For all of it's lovely half-assed poorly translated laggy as gently caress bullshit, I genuinly enjoyed most of my time in chinagame which is more than I can say for most MMOs.

It's weird because of how bad a game AoW was but I look back on my time in it more fondly than most MMOs, which is weird because it was broken and awful.

But for some reason that made it really, really fun to explore because no one knew what the hell they were doing.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It was really funny how most people didn't understand how wars worked either.

When I took a break and came back, I figured Ilwrath had the job of leading down and left goontang to join rebellion where all we did was sing karaoke and look at each others pretty clothing.

Two days later we had to go help longshot defend its last base in chengdu or it was going to lose it.

Every single person in that alliance was downstairs defending and they had no one upstairs putting out fires except for me. I had namelus and a few other people constantly chasing me but I managed to put out fires that would shut doors downstairs and did a major part to help longshot win that defense.

No one on that alliance ever noticed but other people sure as hell did. I tried explaining how those doors worked and no one seemed to understand it either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Don't look at me, I was playing Diablo:

StorGondul
Apr 28, 2014
If anyone is interested at all age of wushu made a phone game recently called age of wushu dynasty. honestly it is just simplified to gently caress wushu but it really isn't that god awful of a game and it isn't as pay to win as wushu PC but it has a vigor system that can be rather limiting. Mostly im just putting this here in case anyone wants to gently caress with the rest of us from before. shazzy (zhao) told me about this one so i downloaded it and its got a lot of the old alliance members (leffe chroma delphy etc). the catch up time is pretty short and if anyone does want to come join us in this fuckery we are on us-s6 mirror lake. can pm leffe or shazzy when guilds unlock from the level barring.

StorGondul fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 7, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

http://2p.com/43886194_1/Snail-Games-Announces-Age-of-Wushu-2-Game-Is-a-Sandbox-MMORPG-by-Blake-Lau.htm

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The new wow clone contender, everyone.

Skion
Mar 24, 2013

I know i'm ready for the vietnam war part 3.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Tentatively hype, waiting for drunk stick confirmation.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
wow the flight skills are so much smoother in age of wushu mobile

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

No... Not again. I can't do this again. I'm not doing this again.

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
Heard there was a Wushu 2 coming out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

SweetBro posted:

No... Not again. I can't do this again. I'm not doing this again.

the sirens call

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
They beg for mercy and I will lean down and whisper to them "no horse"

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Will you be able to chop off your dick in this one too?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and posit that it won't be Age of Wushu but again.

I mean, I could, in theory, hope, but I don't think it's happening. We need a new upstart to make the randomly incomprehensible game.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats great

any information on the cash shop that'll gently caress it up again?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
What are the chances they've learned from their mistakes and don't gently caress it up again?

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 20, 2016

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There's a good chance this'll just be the AoW equivalent of Guild Wars 2, a MMO that filled an interesting niche getting a generic follow-up.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

What are the chances they've learned from their mistakes and don't gently caress it up again?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Unguided posted:

There's a good chance this'll just be the AoW equivalent of Guild Wars 2, a MMO that filled an interesting niche getting a generic follow-up.

To be fair, they did say it was a sandbox MMO so it'll at least be less generic than Guild Wars 2.

They're also going to be unveiling another sandbox game called Savage Horizon that's been in development since 2011 (announced in 2004 I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX2mYy-qgQs

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jul 20, 2016

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Fool me several times, shame on you.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
If they don't have ancient sets I'd play it but hahahahahahah that won't happen

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Haquer posted:

If they don't have ancient sets I'd play it but hahahahahahah that won't happen

We can dream

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The best bet would be if someone else entirely unrelated to snail deals with the localization/publishing here in the states.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

To be fair, they did say it was a sandbox MMO so it'll at least be less generic than Guild Wars 2.

They're also going to be unveiling another sandbox game called Savage Horizon that's been in development since 2011 (announced in 2004 I guess)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX2mYy-qgQs

A very dark 240p video where you can barely see highlights like archeage-esque glider, air balloon, large map and spells that look only slightly better than Pathfinder Online...

Chinagame!

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

They're just showing off their next-gen artifacting tech.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*mashes keyboard in unity*

guys i made a better chinagame

hmmm

oh yea

*adds cash shop that isnt just cosmetic*

perf

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Unguided posted:

A very dark 240p video where you can barely see highlights like archeage-esque glider, air balloon, large map and spells that look only slightly better than Pathfinder Online...

Chinagame!

its alexander delarge, a known horrible mmo poster

like not even a poo poo poster, just awful

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Hy_C posted:

We can dream

The other day I was checking for server file leaks from wushu with thoughts to try to gently caress around with it because I'm retarded or something

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011
I am once more ready to follow the laws of the flying eagle stronghold

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

I just hope the sequel addresses what happens if you actually follow the lady to the guestroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Just inject it straight into me like the crack addict that I am.