Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Pretty sure fire pen works with burns. Could be wrong but it works on searing bond AFAIK.

Fire penetration only works with burns if they come from an ignite, because penetration only works on hits. A hit causing an ignite with fire penetration will cause a bigger burn because the burn is scaling off of a bigger initial hit.

Searing Bond is not affected at all by fire penetration because it's straight DoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Ah thought that got changed at some point semi recently , guess not. Never mind me!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
How dumb an idea is a Flame Surge/Searing Bond character? I figure it's the easiest way of getting the burn going and Flame Surge gets a lovely more modifier for serious :supaburn:

Is Flame Surge ever worth it, for that matter?

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
eh heh heh I tried to run Core with my poisonquaker. Final tally: 1 death to doedre, 2 deaths to Maligaro, 1 death to strongbox, 3 deaths to shavronne. Kills: Doedre

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Race Season is starting soon, so here is a little guide how to get to level 70 in 6 hours as a witch (notice you don't mule quicksilvers in short races).

brought to you by Throzz of "Throzz has entered every loving area before you" fame at the start of every league, so you know it's legit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWb5P476ES4

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ok let me clarify the penetration node also doesn't work because it doesn't give fire pen when casting a cold spell, and I'm never casting any fire spells to get cold pen in the first place. So even if it DID work on the DoTs, I wouldn't be able to get the cold pen part I want.

Either way there's 5 notables besides the pen one and I can get 4 of them. Which one do I drop?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I'd say Liege/Shaper/Beacon/Pendulum. Those first 3 are obvious (double fire golems ftw). Went Pendulum over Paragon for offense. The consistent 40% (on average) damage/AoE boost is better than the occasional 40% (or 80% if hit by both cold and fire) damage boost.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

theshim posted:

How dumb an idea is a Flame Surge/Searing Bond character? I figure it's the easiest way of getting the burn going and Flame Surge gets a lovely more modifier for serious :supaburn:

Is Flame Surge ever worth it, for that matter?

Yes, its in the top 5 for base damage spells in the game and a free 50% more damage on top of it probably puts it up to number 1. But you need to ignite, and its aoe is very small so you need to get up close and personal to use it.

So this would be non ancestral bond searing bond? I wouldn't make that build. I don't think you would get enough area coverage to get your ignites, and searing bond's damage falls off in maps pretty hard. For flame surge I'd use on a fire trap build for bosses, with RF on bosses, or even ignite discharge.

edit - when did Freeze Pulse get so buffed? It does 689–1034 at level 20 which is freaking nuts. Even with GMP Freeze pulse is insane.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 18, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

Yeah, thinking about it, Searing Bond is pretty hard to reliably keep things burning. Fire Traps are probably the way to go - chuck a few out and then start blasting poo poo with Flame Surge, rinse and repeat.

Orrrrrr...hmm. Does Flame Surge override Elemental Conflux?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ultima66 posted:

Anyone with Vortex experience want to tell me if Elemental Equilibrium is worth the 2 or 3 points or whatever I'd have to spend to get it? I don't know how my damage is divided up right now. I have RF, Ignite, and initial hit doing fire damage, and the DoT doing cold. I think that I won't lose damage with EE but I honestly have no clue.

Also I suppose I could just remember to drop Orb of Storms on all bosses before hitting them with Vortex but that's a little annoying.

Also what ascendancy nodes should I be using (Elementalist)? I could see arguments for literally any ascendancy points except the penetration one because it doesn't apply to damage over time. Currently running Golems + half reflect + Conflux. I think with 88 fire res and mostly doing DoT damage I don't really need the half reflect, and I've seen builds that just don't use Golems but I don't really have any idea which ascendancies are good/bad for the build, outside of Conflux being mandatory for ignite + shock.

RF never hits so it won't trigger EE. Your converted vortex hits dealing fire damage so monster res gets +25 fire and -50 cold/light. Your RF is now doing less damage and the cold DOT is doing a lot more damage. I don't have that much experience running RF, but I know a lot of builds running it used to use ice nova or something like that to trigger EE to make then burn higher.

Aren't you one shotting most mobs with RF's more spell damage as it is?

whypick1 posted:

I'd say Liege/Shaper/Beacon/Pendulum. Those first 3 are obvious (double fire golems ftw). Went Pendulum over Paragon for offense. The consistent 40% (on average) damage/AoE boost is better than the occasional 40% (or 80% if hit by both cold and fire) damage boost.

I dont think you can get double the bonus for the same type of golem can you?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Bugsy posted:

I dont think you can get double the bonus for the same type of golem can you?

drat, you're right.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Golems give 80% damage on the initial hit (boosting the ignite base damage), 40% damage on the ignite and RF, and 40% on the cold DoT. They also give an extra 20% damage overall from the buffed Fire Golem effect (Ice Golem effect doesn't really do anything for me). Pendulum gives an average of 40% damage to everything, but also gives a huge AoE boost occasionally.

I'm oneshotting most mobs at lvl 70, but my damage is a bit weak against bosses with high elemental resists and -curse effectiveness, like Izaro. Wondering if EE would actually help with that. Also I literally just put on RF since I needed to be lvl 70 to use the lvl 20 PoF I bought. I'll have to play with it more to get a feel for the damage.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

theshim posted:

Yeah, thinking about it, Searing Bond is pretty hard to reliably keep things burning. Fire Traps are probably the way to go - chuck a few out and then start blasting poo poo with Flame Surge, rinse and repeat.

Orrrrrr...hmm. Does Flame Surge override Elemental Conflux?

If you mean can Flame Surge Ignite through conflux, the answer is no. "Cannot" overrides any other modifier that could apply, including "always".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Every time I level a LL or CI character I think 'I'll be smart and go life first, then just respec!'

I never do. And it's always pain and despair from about 55 onwards.

At least I made it to merciless dried lake with the last skill point unlocked now :unsmith:

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Between Overwatch, new WoW expansion, and Pokemon GO I am pretty much done with this league and I will probably skip the next one. One of my goals for the league was to clear Uber Atziri with Jeb!quake, but before today I only made attempt early in the league with poo poo gear that didn't go too well. I had just enough currency to give it one more shot - Was Jeb high enough energy to stop the Vaal Menace? Or did he get turned into a big, fat mess?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1kl76-bUHI

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

What makes poison so good? I see a lot of physical builds using it and I don't understand why it's better than other damage-boosting supports.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Combination of it being able to stack up for tons of dps on a single target like a tough boss and it double dipping with a lot of scaling (like how increased damage on the initial hit also increases the damage of the resulting poison). On top of that its damage as chaos so naturally lower resists to get through.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Voidheart this league also makes poison a no brainer. If you're melee physical, congrats you get poison and bleed in a ring.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Unless you're the shield charge spec. I tried that ring and it didn't feel like it was any better then a phys ring. Probably because you're one shotting most packs.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Okay that makes sense. Can an attack apply multiple instances of poison at once, i.e. from Voidheart and from the Poison support gem? I know poison from separate attacks stacks but am not sure about that.

theshim
May 1, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Okay that makes sense. Can an attack apply multiple instances of poison at once, i.e. from Voidheart and from the Poison support gem? I know poison from separate attacks stacks but am not sure about that.
No. A hit either poisons or it doesn't. The real leverage on it is how many modifiers poison double-dips on, allowing you to get stupid stacking amounts of DoT that pretty much overshadows every other support.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Hey experienced BV dudes: I'm doing LL BV as an assassin. My links are currently BV/Echo/Controlled Destruction/Poison/Duration/Increased AOE (Conc). Is the 0.2 physical leech from doryanis enough with VP? It doesn't seem like it will be enough, even if I'm running dual Atziri flasks. I'm 62 so I can't really check yet. Should I swap leech in for controlled destruction?

theshim
May 1, 2012

If you're not running Warlord's on Blasphemy, you'll probably need the Life Leech gem, yes.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I ran lowlife BV assassin last league and it did feel like the leech gem was essential. Probably easiest to lose the inc duration especially if you can manage an increased BV duration helm enchant.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

You need Warlord's Mark or Life Leech also the gain from going low life on BV is pretty questionable compared to using a Cospri's Will.

theshim
May 1, 2012

On that note, is there any real benefit to LL builds besides Pain Attunement? It kinda feels that the tradeoff isn't really worth it - you're making it much more expensive to gear and play for a 30% more multiplier. What am I really missing about LL?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

theshim posted:

On that note, is there any real benefit to LL builds besides Pain Attunement? It kinda feels that the tradeoff isn't really worth it - you're making it much more expensive to gear and play for a 30% more multiplier. What am I really missing about LL?

Extra auras. It's pretty worth it, imo. I ran Discipline, Clarity, and 2 Blasphemy auras with it with no -mana reserved poo poo (cause my pathing would've been horrendous with them). I'm pretty sure I could've ran 3 blasphemy but meh.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The exhilaration of seeing a big hit dip into your tiny little hp pool.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The thing about poison BV is that there's very little overhead to just casting a Curse on Hit - BV - 2 curses every few seconds since it will hit everything you walk through anyways, thus saving the reservation on 2 blasphemy curses. Poison BV also doesn't really benefit from any auras that much either.

If I had a lot more currency to actually buy a Shav's I'd want to run LL on my current Vortex character FYI. Pain Attunement double dips on ignites caused by Vortex, it'd let me add an extra Blasphemy curse, and RF burns less on ES, meaning I'd be able to get more regen and more base life pool than if I were just going pure life. Though that said I have basically 0 room for gems on my character already and had to switch from a linked lightning warp to an unlinked flame dash for movement, so I'm not sure I'd even be able to support going LL.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

The exhilaration of seeing a big hit dip into your tiny little hp pool.

I never went under 50% ES with Xirgil + Wicked Ward. :shobon:

At least not that I could see, it was pretty much bounce land.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Guess I got caught up in a guild purge? I need an invite, character name is Blue_Bond

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

Combination of it being able to stack up for tons of dps on a single target like a tough boss

Can you elaborate on this? How does this stack higher than pure phys or phys -> elemental? Or are you saying it doesn't, but that it can stack just as high but with all the additional benefits?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I can run two curses if I wanted to (using a Vertex with 20% duration) but then Hexproof becomes an issue. I could always just not run those, I guess. I don't think I have enough cast speed to make up for the lack of a duration gem.

I'm planning on running Discipline + AA on life, and then Blasphemy + Herald of Ice and MAYBE something else on mana. Probably Grace, maybe a second curse. Should leave me with a good amount of mana left over for casting BV. Tempest Shield + Lightning Golem + Blind, also.

Long term plan assuming that I care enough is to get vulnerability on hit on my facebreakers. But that's a ~9ex decision and I'll probably just get shadows and dust if I'm going to spend big money on gloves.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

facepalmolive posted:

Can you elaborate on this? How does this stack higher than pure phys or phys -> elemental? Or are you saying it doesn't, but that it can stack just as high but with all the additional benefits?

one is sequential stacking: unlike bleed poison can be applied multiple times, each stack does the 10% dps over 2 seconds

the other is bonus stacking (mine/trap to area to spell to physical), poison has the most (unless you do a physical to lightning to cold to fire to chaos chain, but that either needs lots of gems or suboptimal uniques, unlike a simple poison gem)

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1703209

Patch notes are out and there is a lot of them.

quote:

General Balance
More insanity effects have been added.
Insanity from multiple sources now stack.

:wtc:

theshim
May 1, 2012

Bugsy posted:

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1703209

Patch notes are out and there is a lot of them.

:wtc:
:stare:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

quote:

Navali dialogue will now be interrupted when another NPC begins to talk. She also interrupts herself if already telling you about a Prophecy.

No more listening to her for 10 minutes because I refilled my Prophecy wheel and subsequently got 1 or 2 to complete while she was still talking. :woop:

And what the poo poo is Insanity?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Insanity is a hint about the upcoming league, as per Bex's post last week or something saying to keep an eye out on hints for the upcoming league. Nothing special.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whypick1 posted:

No more listening to her for 10 minutes because I refilled my Prophecy wheel and subsequently got 1 or 2 to complete while she was still talking. :woop:

TO PLOW A FIELD

YOU NEED A TOOL

TO HARVEST GRAIN

YOU NEED A TOOL

TO SHUT THE gently caress UP

YOU. NEED. A. TOOL

edit: this is one hell of a specific bugfix:

quote:

Fixed an issue where players with 100% stun immunity could be permanently stunned when attempting to cast Bladefall while immobilised by a Spike Trap.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Starting to get bored with my crit staff EQer. I'm kind of stuck at tier 6 maps, and I can't get anything higher. And I'm at the point where I don't have much to get except super-expensive uniques (a Voidheart, maybe, a Kaom's probably). It's still a good build, though.

So now I'm kicking around a bunch of other dumb build ideas that I made myself because I'm a big dumb hipster and refuse to use a build guide. Are any of these viable?

Pillar of the Caged God Chieftain - I saw that Tawhoa gives 10% increased Strength, which made me think of the Pillar. Built around using 100% fire Molten Strike, because I'm still obsessed with this skill, and the phys damage from Strength makes me feel less guilty for travelling all the way to Point Blank. This might be better as Juggernaut, but what isn't.
Vortex Trapper Saboteur - I've never made a trapper before, and it sounds neat, so I whipped up a Vortex build with the usual Pyre + EE idea. Saboteur seems kind of garbage, maybe, so I might be better off with Trickster just for Patient Reaper.
Oro's Totem Chieftain - First of two garbage builds based around using Ancestral Warchief with Oro's Sacrifice. This one has beefy, taunting, reflect-immune totems. Planning on Fireborn in the Duelist jewel socket, of course.
Oro's Totem Elementalist - Second of two garbage builds. This one would use Orb of Storms with Elemental Overload and Mastermind of Discord for some absurd damage, probably. And the Witch looks really anime cool with a 2H sword.
Fire Crash Inquisitor - This one is probably dumb, but the idea is to use Avatar of Fire with Cold to Fire/Pyre to deal resist-ignoring 100% fire damage sceptre crits to things to inflict big ignites that double dip on all that fire/elemental/area damage. as well as a Flammability curse. Would this work at all?
Ice Storm Totem Hierophant - Hierophant seems like a natural fit for Ice Storm, since all that Int boosts your mana and gives you more energy shield. And totems seem like a natural fit for Ice Storm (and Firestorm), since they basically double dip on increased duration. Also, on a lark, I tried to get as much reduced mana cost as I could, but that probably isn't necessary. I need more Int on the tree, don't I?
Lightning Trap Deadeye - My latest dumb idea. Ricochet gives +1 chain, and a Roth's Reach could make that +2, so... Lightning Trap? Why can't I just make a normal archer build. Windrippers and Drillnecks are both dirt cheap this league, I should be using those.

• Locked thread