Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And it's officially hit the rest of the EU. The IMF downgraded their estimate of next year's global economy. A lot of people listen to them :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

effectual posted:

And it's officially hit the rest of the EU. The IMF downgraded their estimate of next year's global economy. A lot of people listen to them :/

It's not really a surprise. Apart from a new cabinet (which is basically an internal affair), nothing substantial has happened in the last month in terms of actual negotiations or even solid plans. Davis has just now started to "plan", and first this week have politicians in the UK actually started to move in the general direction of perhaps thinking about the potential need to address eventual future steps that might one day lead to making some initial progress on beginning to exit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I love how BBC reports on the whole thing. I get that they are an official agency of the government and have to restrain themselves from predicting too much doom and gloom from Brexit, but when they managed to put a positive spin on the lowest CFO confidence ever recorded in Britain, that really did take the cake.

Phoneposting so no link.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Crossposting from the UKMT - the government has confirmed that it will not invoke Article 50 in 2016:

https://twitter.com/jamesmatesitv/status/755368440878301184

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LemonDrizzle posted:

Crossposting from the UKMT - the government has confirmed that it will not invoke Article 50 in 2016:

Lol I wonder what the EU thinks of that :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Keep kicking the can guys. Maybe one day we'll lose it in the long grass.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Hooray, 6+ more months of uncertainty.

On the bright side, the longer they wait and the more firms/industries pack up and leave the UK, the easier trade negotiations will be.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm onboard for the theory of "can gets kicked repeatedly forever, things get purposefully buried in subcommittees and planning commissions before article 50 is ever invoked. Decades from now it's a weird trivia fact that the UK is technically in the process of leaving the EU."

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm onboard for the theory of "can gets kicked repeatedly forever, things get purposefully buried in subcommittees and planning commissions before article 50 is ever invoked. Decades from now it's a weird trivia fact that the UK is technically in the process of leaving the EU."

God that would be an amazing career paper-pusher job.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"Watkins, here is the brexit paperwork. It'll be your job to see that it's sorted out right."

"My God sir, there's reams of it - I'll never get done!"

"That's what we're hoping. You look stressed, maybe you should take a break for a couple of weeks."

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Full Battle Rattle posted:

"Watkins, here is the brexit paperwork. It'll be your job to see that it's sorted out right."

"My God sir, there's reams of it - I'll never get done!"

"That's what we're hoping. You look stressed, maybe you should take a break for a couple of weeks."

"When asked, we can say the Brexit paperwork is 'under consideration', or--if we feel so inclined--'under active consideration'."

"What's the difference?"

"Well, 'under consideration' means we've lost the paperwork. 'Under active consideration' means we're trying to find it."

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

call to action posted:

And can we take a second and think about all the poor British bureaucrats' careers who were destroyed by American independence?

Ben Franklin's son William was the Tory Governor of New Jersey. Not only did the Revolution cost him his career, he was also basically disinherited by his father, who said that if William's side had won, he wouldn't have had any property to pass on.

But also the analogy to Brexit is a good one, because a major driving force on the pro-independence side was racism. Specifically, England wanted to maintain the area between the Appalachians and the Mississippi as an area for Native peoples and French Canadians/Louisianans to live in. American colonists preferred to take their land and use it for farming and gold-hunting, and obviously honest white men were better suited to that than heathens and Papists.

Chief Justice John Marshall, in Johnson v. M'Intosh, 21 U.S. 543, 588-92 (1823) posted:

We will not enter into the controversy whether agriculturists, merchants, and manufacturers have a right on abstract principles to expel hunters from the territory they possess or to contract their limits. Conquest gives a title which the courts of the conqueror cannot deny, whatever the private and speculative opinions of individuals may be, respecting the original justice of the claim which has been successfully asserted. The British government, which was then our government and whose rights have passed to the United States, asserted title to all the lands occupied by Indians within the chartered limits of the British colonies. It asserted also a limited sovereignty over them and the exclusive right of extinguishing the title which occupancy gave to them. These claims have been maintained and established as far west as the River Mississippi by the sword. The title to a vast portion of the lands we now hold originates in them. It is not for the courts of this country to question the validity of this title or to sustain one which is incompatible with it.

Although we do not mean to engage in the defense of those principles which Europeans have applied to Indian title, they may, we think, find some excuse, if not justification, in the character and habits of the people whose rights have been wrested from them.

The title by conquest is acquired and maintained by force. The conqueror prescribes its limits. Humanity, however, acting on public opinion, has established, as a general rule, that the conquered shall not be wantonly oppressed, and that their condition shall remain as eligible as is compatible with the objects of the conquest. Most usually, they are incorporated with the victorious nation, and become subjects or citizens of the government with which they are connected. The new and old members of the society mingle with each other; the distinction between them is gradually lost, and they make one people. Where this incorporation is practicable, humanity demands and a wise policy requires that the rights of the conquered to property should remain unimpaired; that the new subjects should be governed as equitably as the old, and that confidence in their security should gradually banish the painful sense of being separated from their ancient connections, and united by force to strangers.

When the conquest is complete and the conquered inhabitants can be blended with the conquerors or safely governed as a distinct people, public opinion, which not even the conqueror can disregard, imposes these restraints upon him, and he cannot neglect them without injury to his fame and hazard to his power.

But the tribes of Indians inhabiting this country were fierce savages whose occupation was war and whose subsistence was drawn chiefly from the forest. To leave them in possession of their country was to leave the country a wilderness; to govern them as a distinct people was impossible because they were as brave and as high spirited as they were fierce, and were ready to repel by arms every attempt on their independence.

What was the inevitable consequence of this state of things? The Europeans were under the necessity either of abandoning the country and relinquishing their pompous claims to it or of enforcing those claims by the sword, and by the adoption of principles adapted to the condition of a people with whom it was impossible to mix and who could not be governed as a distinct society, or of remaining in their neighborhood, and exposing themselves and their families to the perpetual hazard of being massacred.

Frequent and bloody wars, in which the whites were not always the aggressors, unavoidably ensued. European policy, numbers, and skill prevailed. As the white population advanced, that of the Indians necessarily receded. The country in the immediate neighborhood of agriculturists became unfit for them. The game fled into thicker and more unbroken forests, and the Indians followed. The soil to which the Crown originally claimed title, being no longer occupied by its ancient inhabitants, was parceled out according to the will of the sovereign power and taken possession of by persons who claimed immediately from the Crown or mediately through its grantees or deputies.

That law which regulates and ought to regulate in general the relations between the conqueror and conquered was incapable of application to a people under such circumstances. The resort to some new and different rule better adapted to the actual state of things was unavoidable. Every rule which can be suggested will be found to be attended with great difficulty.

However extravagant the pretension of converting the discovery of an inhabited country into conquest may appear; if the principle has been asserted in the first instance, and afterwards sustained; if a country has been acquired and held under it; if the property of the great mass of the community originates in it, it becomes the law of the land and cannot be questioned. So, too, with respect to the concomitant principle that the Indian inhabitants are to be considered merely as occupants, to be protected, indeed, while in peace, in the possession of their lands, but to be deemed incapable of transferring the absolute title to others. However this restriction may be opposed to natural right, and to the usages of civilized nations, yet if it be indispensable to that system under which the country has been settled, and be adapted to the actual condition of the two people, it may perhaps be supported by reason, and certainly cannot be rejected by courts of justice.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ponsonby Britt posted:

American colonists preferred to take their land and use it for farming and gold-hunting, and obviously honest white men were better suited to that than heathens and Papists.

Excellent read in that quote. It's fascinating to see someone from that era try to justify poo poo. He seems to be aware that an injustice is being done, but appealing to inevitably, via... the European tradition of conquering. "If only the native Americans had a comparable system of power and property, they would have been assimilated like everyone the Romans conquered were", basically. Anyway it wasn't even us who staked the claim on their land, we're just following through on Britain's claim which we won from them in the war. A+ mental gymnastics.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Excellent read in that quote. It's fascinating to see someone from that era try to justify poo poo. He seems to be aware that an injustice is being done, but appealing to inevitably, via... the European tradition of conquering. "If only the native Americans had a comparable system of power and property, they would have been assimilated like everyone the Romans conquered were", basically. Anyway it wasn't even us who staked the claim on their land, we're just following through on Britain's claim which we won from them in the war. A+ mental gymnastics.

"And who can say if such a claim is valid? If only there were a court of some kind, which might arbitrate this issue...alas, it is not for this Supreme Court of the United States to decide. We must but permit the claim that is given to us."

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Can a country even, like, judge itself? Nah man. We already are what we are, y'know?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Somewhat topical: Nigel Farrage being called out live on radio: http://www.thecanary.co/2016/07/18/nigel-farage-crashes-burns-live-radio-caller-sets-perfect-trap-video/

:lol:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Now watch that caller "disappear"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Now watch that caller "disappear"

What? UK isn't Turkey, as bad as it may be.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Besides, Nigel Farage doesn't have the power to disappear anything except money and himself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Private Speech posted:

What? UK isn't Turkey, as bad as it may be.

Your plan of not having a military capable of a coup seems to be working!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

hobbesmaster posted:

Your plan of not having a military capable of a coup seems to be working!

Turkey doesn't have a military capable of a coup either

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

I love how BBC reports on the whole thing. I get that they are an official agency of the government and have to restrain themselves from predicting too much doom and gloom from Brexit, but when they managed to put a positive spin on the lowest CFO confidence ever recorded in Britain, that really did take the cake.

Phoneposting so no link.

That's a little strong, dude. They're not Pravda.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

nexus6 posted:

Turkey doesn't have a military capable of a coup either
Assuming the most recent "coup" wasn't faked to serve as a pretext for Erdogan cementing his hold on the country. Or, I suppose, him being really effective in his use of that pretext.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Assuming the most recent "coup" wasn't faked to serve as a pretext for Erdogan cementing his hold on the country. Or, I suppose, him being really effective in his use of that pretext.

I think the fact that thousands of 'conspirators' are now sitting in prison marks this as an 'attempted' coup.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

There's still a definite pro-establishment bent to all BBC reporting. I mean sure, part of it has to do with the recent chart renewal, but there's also their commitment to 'neutrality' (i.e. presenting competing viewpoints as equal with little regard for their merit). Except when it might be a little too critical of the government.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

There's still a definite pro-establishment bent to all BBC reporting. I mean sure, part of it has to do with the recent chart renewal, but there's also their commitment to 'neutrality' (i.e. presenting competing viewpoints as equal with little regard for their merit). Except when it might be a little too critical of the government.

Sure. That's a bit different from 'literally an arm of the government'.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

Sure. That's a bit different from 'literally an arm of the government'.

Well fine it's more accurate to say that it's beholden to the government to some extent, even if not to a degree that they would like. It's still a state broadcaster though, and especially the BBC World Service was used for propaganda purposes at times (that whole " foreign athletes (which just so happen to only come from Iraq and Afghanistan) talk about their London Olympics dream" anti-radicalisation program, for one). Even if it's largely independent in practice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

nexus6 posted:

I think the fact that thousands of 'conspirators' are now sitting in prison marks this as an 'attempted' coup.
If you assume they were actually conspirators, and not just people opposed to Erdogan's policies, like all the teachers he has gone after.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If you assume they were actually conspirators, and not just people opposed to Erdogan's policies, like all the teachers he has gone after.

I am sure two detectives sat down after the coup attempt and investigated, person by person, their specific involvement in the attempt. I am also sure that in no way did they have lists of people in a drawer who they would like to get rid of if the situation were to arise (no matter which situation, a coup just being one option). We all know all those dangerous, armed and fierce teachers and university deans, mowing down civilians left and right.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm not 'sure' you 'understood' my use of 'quotation marks'.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

nexus6 posted:

I'm not 'sure' you 'understood' my use of 'quotation marks'.
I was not entirely sure what you were going for, since you used '..' and not "...".

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was not entirely sure what you were going for, since you used '..' and not "...".

One more reason for Brexit, all of the foreign heathens using "Outer 'inner quote' quote", rather than the thoroughly British style of 'Outer "inner quote" quote', as the Queen demands!

:argh::hf::britain:

edit: vvvvvvv The MHRA Referencing Guide uses single quotes for quotations and double quotes for nested quotations. :thejoke:

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 21, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

What? No, I've just been writing code all day.

"code"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nexus6 posted:

What? No, I've just been writing code all day.

"code"

"inner quotes in code are like \"this\""

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So is May going to use eu sovs as a bargaiming chip witb the eu? Almost aounds like app3asement. Hopefullu britain doesnt try to reunify britanica

MrKonarski
May 9, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I spent a week in a czech hotel seeing the BBC during brexit and I beg to disagree, it felt a lot like Pravda.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrKonarski posted:

I spent a week in a czech hotel seeing the BBC during brexit and I beg to disagree, it felt a lot like Pravda.

The big problem with the BBC is that a lot of the top people, most notably Political Editors Laura Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson, are out and out Tories and will spend as much time as they can get away with smashing the left while throwing softballs at the current governments. The puff pieces they put out for Cameron, May and Osbourne were loving disgusting, though unfortunately they were not alone in that regard in the traditional UK media.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

The big problem with the BBC is that a lot of the top people, most notably Political Editors Laura Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson, are out and out Tories and will spend as much time as they can get away with smashing the left while throwing softballs at the current governments. The puff pieces they put out for Cameron, May and Osbourne were loving disgusting, though unfortunately they were not alone in that regard in the traditional UK media.

Lügenpresse! Lügenpresse! Oh sorry, I mean: "Out is out! Out is out!"

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Couldn't they make Ian Hislop political editor?

Also, I take it you guys saw that the PMI is in the toilet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Looks like an enormous recession could be coming to the UK.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36864273

• Locked thread