Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Medullah posted:

Didn't it end up getting renewed despite all odds?

Yes, and they fired everyone except Ichabod and now it takes place in Washington DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schlonged Again posted:

Who gives a poo poo about ratings. Halt and Catch Fire is coming back for a third season and that show gets half a million viewers per episode.

Yeah, holy poo poo I didn't see that one coming. I was sure that show had taken some kind of spectacular dive into the record books as one of the biggest flops in TV history, but here we are somehow.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GreenNight posted:

Yes, and they fired everyone except Ichabod and now it takes place in Washington DC.

Oh yeah that's right. There's a show that should have never gotten made, yet somehow did, then should have never been good, but it was, and then should have been cancelled early so we remember it fondly like Firefly or Jimi Hendrix, and instead will overstay it's welcome like Dexter or Fat Elvis.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Hollismason posted:

I am a huge Preacher fan and honestly this is a lot better than books. Sorry.
Yeah, Ennis had a tendency to overdo it in the gross department, sometimes to the detriment of other things.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

John Big Booty posted:

Yeah, Ennis had a tendency to overdo it in the gross department, sometimes to the detriment of other things.

No women (or men) have gotten raped [yet], for instance.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Big Booty posted:

Also since it has real humans not everyone has the same face and at least two chins.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

John Big Booty posted:

He gets lazy with consistency and carried away with a kind of intentionally ignorant nostalgia for Americana; like he wants to celebrate it and also make fun of it at the same time.

he also writes like he thinks most comic readers are laid-back instead of anal-compulsive rear end hats who will harp on every instance of this sort of thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Guy Mann posted:

Also since it has real humans not everyone has the same face and at least two chins.

There's at least one person in the comic who didn't have a chin.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Supreme Allah posted:

He gets lazy with consistency and carried away with a kind of intentionally ignorant nostalgia for Americana; like he wants to celebrate it and also make fun of it at the same time.

he also writes like he thinks most comic readers are laid-back instead of anal-compulsive rear end hats who will harp on every instance of this sort of thing.
Like many other comics authors, he could have greatly benefited from someone standing over his shoulder to hit him with a rolled-up newspaper and say "NO" when they get too far off the rails.

*swat* No, Grant, don't appear as a character in your own comic. Also, cut back on the drugs.
*swat* No. Alan, Dorothy loving her father is creepy and weird. No.
*swat* Nothing specific, Grant, but seriously knock it off with the drugs.
*swat* Fewer pouches, more feet.
*swat* No, Grant, you didn't do anything wrong this time but I think you were actually dead for five minutes. Also, the cat is not a sigil. Clean that poo poo up.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

John Big Booty posted:

Like many other comics authors, he could have greatly benefited from someone standing over his shoulder to hit him with a rolled-up newspaper and say "NO" when they get too far off the rails.

Exactly, when Ennis has a strong editor, he's on fire. When he doesn't and he's just publishing what the gently caress ever, it's just a gob of poo poo.

A true genius is someone with a giant marble of creative energy who other people chisel the dumb poo poo away until all that's left is a statue of the best ideas.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 19, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah that's right. There's a show that should have never gotten made, yet somehow did, then should have never been good, but it was, and then should have been cancelled early so we remember it fondly like Firefly or Jimi Hendrix, and instead will overstay it's welcome like Dexter or Fat Elvis.

You know how loving cool it would be if the series was only one season long and at the end War just wins? That would of been the best ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

John Big Booty posted:

Grant: Okay DC, but in return I want you to stop ripping off people's arms and wallowing in misery and grim'n'gritty reboots.
DC: ......so you're gonna keep doing drugs forever? :confused:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jerusalem posted:

Grant: Okay DC, but in return I want you to stop ripping off people's arms and wallowing in misery and grim'n'gritty reboots.
DC: ......so you're gonna keep doing drugs forever? :confused:

Are you and John Big Booty mixing up Garth Ennis and Grant Morrison? At least BJB is. (E: unless I scrolled past/misread a previous post)

You're not kidding on their love of arm removal. I still think the most ridiculous is still a minor character getting his arm torn off in a fight against young, mentally unsound alt-universe Superboy. Crazy rampage Supes shows up again, ol' one-arm shows up, hot under the collar for revenge, then...

Even greater is Batman and Black Canary's expressions almost looking like 'okay, I like where this is headed...'

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 19, 2016

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This show really punches the right buttons for me.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

With time and reflection, I wouldn't change a thing about that.

It was a great show, against all odds got a blow out series finale in the form of a movie, and then ended on top.

That was perfect. If it had gone on a few more seasons we could have gotten some awesome stuff, but they could have hosed it all up. We'd never gotten the film for sure. So yeah.

Sometimes a short, sweet run is just perfect.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

John Big Booty posted:

*swat* No, Grant, don't appear as a character in your own comic. Also, cut back on the drugs.
*swat* No. Alan, Dorothy loving her father is creepy and weird. No.
*swat* Fewer pouches, more feet.
*swat* No, Grant, you didn't do anything wrong this time but I think you were actually dead for five minutes. Also, the cat is not a sigil. Clean that poo poo up.
*swat*Come on Neil you can write a better ending than that, stop meandering around like you don't want to end The Sandman

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Affi posted:

This show really punches the right buttons for me.

I agree. I really liked this episode. "Not that far," Tulip bonding with the dog and then reluctantly feeding it to Cassidy, the slo-mo shot of Jesse slumped up against the church wall while shards of wood fall like snow, Donnie making himself deaf, "Preacher shot my dick off." All of it worked really well for me.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I still feel like the story is 3 episodes dragged into 10.
I've read the comics, so I know where it leads, but drat is it stretching out this "prequel." My family who haven't read the comics are nearly checking out of the show because nothing happens.

Also, I guess they blew most of their budget in the first two episodes because I felt like all the "preacher just beat us up and took our guns" scenes would have been shown if this was the premiere like Cassidy's airplane fight. Instead we get a lot of hearing people get beat up and a cut to explaining what just happened. I feel a little cheated by that and would have just preferred a shorter season if that could have condensed the budget and plot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JazzFlight posted:

Also, I guess they blew most of their budget in the first two episodes because I felt like all the "preacher just beat us up and took our guns" scenes would have been shown if this was the premiere like Cassidy's airplane fight. Instead we get a lot of hearing people get beat up and a cut to explaining what just happened. I feel a little cheated by that and would have just preferred a shorter season if that could have condensed the budget and plot.

Seeing Jesse shoot the guy's dick off would have ruined the funniest joke. But I do agree it's been dragging it's heels for ages now, and with Tulip especially-she has absolutely no reason to exist right now other than that she's in the comic, but since this is before anything really happens she just hangs around being annoying.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Was I the only person who was expecting the portly guardian of the pressure room to keel over from a heart attack or something as the camera held on him sitting down and reading his paper?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Gyges posted:

Was I the only person who was expecting the portly guardian of the pressure room to keel over from a heart attack or something as the camera held on him sitting down and reading his paper?

I was expecting DeBlanc and Fiore to bust in and break the machine, but yes, I was expecting something to happen when he sat down.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Exactly, when Ennis has a strong editor, he's on fire. When he doesn't and he's just publishing what the gently caress ever, it's just a gob of poo poo.
Ennis is Walter in the ashes scene in The Big Lebowski, except that it's not Vietnam but World War II and Ireland.

Show's been one hell of a slow burner but it's all finally coming together and it's pretty great.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ennis is Walter in the ashes scene in The Big Lebowski, except that it's not Vietnam but World War II and Ireland.

HNGHHH ENFIELDS YOU GUYS .303 WOW WHAT A CARTRIDGE IT FITS SO WONDERFULLY IN MY PENIS :flashfap: CLIK CLAK SOUND O FUKKN HISTORY :gizz:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Medullah posted:

For just a second you made me think there was a TV show called "Fat Elvis" that I'd never heard of, and I was furiously googling to see where I could watch it. :(

BIG HEADLINE posted:

or animals :v:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Even greater is Batman and Black Canary's expressions almost looking like 'okay, I like where this is headed...'

Yeah I was about to point out, Batman is like "hooo poo poo this is entertaining!"

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 19, 2016

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Gyges posted:

There is like a 95% chance this is what will happen.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Do we know what that control room is for? It looks like the guy is pressing a pressure release valve.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Do we know what that control room is for? It looks like the guy is pressing a pressure release valve.

My guess is that the "Power" part of "Meat & Power" is the use of cow farts (methane) to generate electricity. If the concentration isn't kept in check, boom.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

He has Homer's work at home job from when he got so fat he was on disability.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My guess is that the "Power" part of "Meat & Power" is the use of cow farts (methane) to generate electricity. If the concentration isn't kept in check, boom.
This. Seems pretty obvious it's taking the place of Genesis killing everybody in town. That poo poo's gonna' blow, and then we'll start our road trip.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ah that makes sense. I've never read the comic I thought maybe they were going for a surreal hint at hell with this some office space kinda guy keeping the lid on everything. Like hell needs to be pressure regulated or it just starts shooting out of the sewers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

He's also probably fracking for extra methane, hence the sinkhole the woman fell into.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

bring back old gbs posted:

Ah that makes sense. I've never read the comic I thought maybe they were going for a surreal hint at hell with this some office space kinda guy keeping the lid on everything. Like hell needs to be pressure regulated or it just starts shooting out of the sewers.

It's probably just the show being coy and ambiguous, but I think the visual cues definitely give that impression (the lack of Quincannon Meat & Power branding, which has previously appeared pretty much everywhere associated with the company, the total lack of context given to the windowless room, the fan...)

Apparently the character's name is 'Pappy'.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I thought it was the room that monitored the communication to Heaven for some reason.. I seem to remember a room similar to that when the angels' phone was ringing.

e - so in this context it would've been something very dangerous being communicated

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I guess I'm alone in this but I love the pacing. There are bursts of intensity in an otherwise slow steady buildup, and they are great about small details and weaving threads back in. It's had a good balance between meeting the characters and developing them.

Also, why are we comparing a Fox show's ratings to one on AMC?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't hate the pacing but I'm gonna say I'm pretty glad I didn't have to wait a week or two to find out why the hell Tulip was suddenly getting a dog.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I agree. I really liked this episode. "Not that far," Tulip bonding with the dog and then reluctantly feeding it to Cassidy, the slo-mo shot of Jesse slumped up against the church wall while shards of wood fall like snow, Donnie making himself deaf, "Preacher shot my dick off." All of it worked really well for me.

The only thing that frustrates me about the dog thing is she had a lot of other options, and it seems out of character for Cassidy to request a poor mutt. I mean it's rural farming country, just buy a bunch of loving chickens, same result.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I guess I'm alone in this but I love the pacing. There are bursts of intensity in an otherwise slow steady buildup, and they are great about small details and weaving threads back in. It's had a good balance between meeting the characters and developing them.

Also, why are we comparing a Fox show's ratings to one on AMC?

It's definitely a show that requires you do two things:
A) Pay attention
B) Be willing to go "This is odd as gently caress, but let me see where this is going."

A lot of TV viewers lack both A and B. You have to grab them by the balls immediately or they wander off. And outside of Netflix viewing, people miss episodes left and right that aren't internet forum poster types.

Why I think this is the kind of show that might get a sudden boom next season once it's been on Netflix; people are way more willing to hang in there when the gap between episodes is like 30 seconds.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 20, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I guess I'm alone in this but I love the pacing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyKJAtDNCw

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only thing that frustrates me about the dog thing is she had a lot of other options, and it seems out of character for Cassidy to request a poor mutt. I mean it's rural farming country, just buy a bunch of loving chickens, same result.

He needed a full cow to recover from the plane crash. After the possibly even more extensive damage from the burns, Tulip may have had to steal half the chickens in the county for his healing to make much progress, and I doubt the dog was the only thing she fed him. It's not like she can just to go back and forth between farms with armfuls of hens. (although now I want to see that, Benny Hill-style)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm not famliar with Ennis too much past his Punisher run, which is the only Punisher run worth reading in my view. Seriously if you ever read MAX, do not read past his run. I didn't realize when he left and thought the story of the Punisher going to Mexico to fight the Cartels would have been a great idea.. then read it, thought it was rewarmed dog poo poo and bottomed out in quality.. and that's when I noticed Ennis's name wasn't on it anymore.

But I have to say, rape is surprisingly not an angle he tends to go for much, unlike some other comic authors. At least in that series. All manner of hosed up things, sometimes ridiculously hosed up things that come off as hilarious (a character shooting herself while riding a main character, for example), but I can think of very little rampant rape. Maybe I'm skewed by Game of Thrones standards.

The only example counter to that coming to mind was The Slavers story, but it was more of a footnote and backdrop. Honestly the most disturbing thing in that story was what the Punisher did to those people by the end, including Repeatedly throwing the woman involved into unbreakable glass until first she broke nearly every bone, then the glass finally gave in too). So no argument Ennis can get wildly extreme but there's always this.. I don't know, vibe (again from the Punisher stuff) that he knows he's being massively over the top and reveling in it that makes it far less creepy than some of Alan Moore's stuff or the like.

Anyway, just my two cents on the guy from a very, very limited view of his overall body of work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Punisher MAX is by far Ennis' best work. I love me some OG Preacher, but goddamn, his Punisher is amazing. Except for Kitchen Irish. That's a pretty dumb arc and mostly just an excuse for Ennis to rant about the IRA, justly or not.

Aside from a tight editorial leash, I think part of why Punisher MAX is so, ehhh, "subdued" by Ennis standards is that a lot of his usual bullshit is comic relief, and Punisher MAX is grim as absolute gently caress.

If you wanna see Ennis at his worst, read The Boys.

• Locked thread