Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Really? I've seen Singha all over but I don't remember seeing Chang anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Maybe it's just in the DC area but yeah Chang and Singha have been offered everywhere I've been.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Maybe it's just in the DC area but yeah Chang and Singha have been offered everywhere I've been.

DC has a very large thai population for it's size, so you'll definitely get stuff you can't get elsewhere, even LA

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I lived in Boise, Idaho. We had like two Thai restaurants and neither of them sold alcohol :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do tourists get excited when they can get Budweiser in America?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I'll be honest I drink one Budweiser whenever I find one when I'm overseas. It's like Mexican Coke, but piss water.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Chantilly Say posted:

I'm thinking about a trip there for the F1 race in October. If you (long shot I know) have any track-specific advice like the best place to stay balancing cost vs. ease of getting to the racetrack that would be great, otherwise, just a hey-might-hit-town-in-a-few-months we could have a beer kind of thing

So I did some asking around on this. Hotels near Sepang are going to be the airport hotels (like Sri Angkasa and Sama-Sama), which are unlikely to be cheap BUT close to the circuit with just an uber/taxi ride away, or there may be shuttle buses.

If you are looking more into completely budgeting your trip, you may want to look for budget hotels/hostels like the various Sun Inns. KL Sentral, the main transportation hub, has a KL Express/ERL train ($$$) that goes straight to KLIA 1/2 in less than an hour, and there is the Skybus ($) that goes to KLIA2 for around 1.5-2 hours. Around KL Sentral are a lot of budget hotels/hostels to consider in the Jalan Alor/Brickfields area. Just be aware that area is also full of crime/prostitution, but on the other hand, actually good food compared to Sepang.

Transportation-wise, Uber and Grab (the local "uber killer" app) are great and inexpensive. Try to avoid taxis if you can, especially if you enter the cab and they try to ignore the meter and ask for a flat rate (note that Uber/Grab has flat rates when it comes to airports, though). There had been local dissent among the taxi community against Uber/Grab including beating people up, so be aware of that.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Forever Chang was pretty rare in most places. I remember when I was working in DC being surprised to see it, but now when I go back to Houston it's in one of the 100+ Thai restaurants. It's as much about the beers paying a shitload to become export brands as it does domestic demand. Those logos on soccer uniforms aren't vanity statements. I assume the US is just a follow on from that.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

"soccer uniforms" lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

kru posted:

"soccer uniforms" lol

One thing that association football getting bigger in the US has done is make it feel more normal to have massive ads on the front of your jerseys. Once people accept poo poo like the Seattle team having XBOX front and center on every player, the other sports will have to start considering it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have a dream!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's a Wan Asanha Bucha miracle. I woke up to news of a military coup and it wasn't in South East Asia!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Instead it was in the Thailand of the Middle East.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

:+1:

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Sheep-Goats posted:

:perfect:

Easy to get to, bombed occasionally, still internationally renowned for tourism.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Just booked my trip to SE Asia. Landing in Singapore on the 10th. Headed to the Maldives for 5 days on the 12th. Then will probably bounce down to Bali and then to Palawan. Anyone near any of my destinations? Anything I absolutely need to see or do, besides meth?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If you go into Male (lol don't do this) let me know how it is. When I was in Maldives back a few years ago it was still ok'ish but things have been progressively going downhill with the new government. Also avoid any protests like the plague.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

JaySB posted:

Anything I absolutely need to see or do, besides meth?

Nope!

Bali, gtfo of Denpasar / Kuta and go see the volcano, and then head to East Bali and explore the towns and landscape via motorbike or hired car. Have an international drivers license if you drive yourself. Drink the coffee. Eat the fish. And smoke the meth.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
SE Asia Thread: Smoke the meth

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

FaceEater posted:

Nope!

Bali, gtfo of Denpasar / Kuta and go see the volcano, and then head to East Bali and explore the towns and landscape via motorbike or hired car. Have an international drivers license if you drive yourself. Drink the coffee. Eat the fish. And smoke the meth.

Cool, will do. Have a friend living on Gili T as well, assume that's kinda safe?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

If you go into Male (lol don't do this) let me know how it is. When I was in Maldives back a few years ago it was still ok'ish but things have been progressively going downhill with the new government. Also avoid any protests like the plague.

Only time spent in Male will be at the airport

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want to meet goons you can get on LINE. there are a few lurkers here and there in Singapore!

Palawn looks awesome.

Oh eat durians and lots of local fruits. And GTFO Kuta

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

SE Asia Thread: Smoke the meth

Have you considered meth instead of a spouse?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

Have you considered meth instead of a spouse?

Have you considered swapping your spouse for meth?

SE Asia Thread: My meth dealer found my hotel

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

JaySB posted:

Cool, will do. Have a friend living on Gili T as well, assume that's kinda safe?

I forget the name of it but there's a pretty nice hotel/resort on Hulhumale that's down the road from the airport if you need a place to hang out for awhile in between leaving your hotel island and going to the airport. For a reasonable amount (I wanna say it was like $25 for me and one other person) they give you a clean place to hang out, eat, swim, clean up, and they'll give you a ride back to the airport. Think of it as an airport lounge outside of the airport, pretty solid deal if you get kicked off your resort island at 10am and your outgoing flight isn't until 1am which seemed to be common for Europe bound flights.

Much better than hanging around that half assed airport or Male. gently caress Male.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

JaySB posted:

Yeah Gili T is great, my wife and I spent a week there last month just relaxing, swimming, snorkeling and drinking. Be aware that it's a massive backpacker party spot these days so if you're not into that scene I'd try and get a place north of the marina (it's still only 10 minutes walk into the main area). We're both 35 and were probably in the oldest 20% of people there so yeah.

I also got offered drugs a bunch of times and some shops were openly selling mushrooms. No meth though, sorry!

My favourite part of Bali is the rice fields north of Ubud - just walk westward on the main road from the palace and look for a sign on the right-hand side of the road. We spent a perfect afternoon wandering around the fields and dropping in to the little warungs for fresh juices etc

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Sing goons best goons imo

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

kru posted:

Sing goons best goons imo
Singapore challenge: Using only prices, figure out when you've left the airport.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
E: ^ lol

webmeister posted:

My favourite part of Bali is the rice fields north of Ubud - just walk westward on the main road from the palace and look for a sign on the right-hand side of the road. We spent a perfect afternoon wandering around the fields and dropping in to the little warungs for fresh juices etc

Agreed on that, but the coffee and organic farms between the volcano and Ubud are the best. Pick a quiet one and drink amazing coffee with gracious hosts.

Ally McBeal Wiki fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 20, 2016

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ReindeerF posted:

Singapore challenge: Using only prices, figure out when you've left the airport.

Maxwell Road Hawker Centre?

It's actually pretty funny having just crossed into Malaysia from Singapore - the numbers on the menu don't change, but the prices drop by 60% :laugh:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Objectively, what are the best hotels in Bali?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Does it have to have an infinity pool for your wife?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

JaySB posted:

Objectively, what are the best hotels in Bali?

For what type of trip? Drinking yourself into oblivion? Honeymoon? Doing yoga and meditating?

On our honeymoon we stayed in a private villa in Ayana down in Jimbaran, that's probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in so yeah.

Stayed at Dash Hotel in Seminyak a few weeks back and that was pretty good, though I'm not a fan of Seminyak particularly.

There's a whole bunch of places around Ubud if you want to visit there, though unless you're 10+ minutes drive from town and away from the road it won't be as peaceful as you expect.

I've heard good things about Sanur and Nusa Dua for just resorts, though these will probably be filled with obnoxious Australian families.

Avoid Kuta and Denpasar like the plague - unless getting blackout drunk with bogan Australians is your ideal party scene.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

simplefish posted:

Does it have to have an infinity pool for your wife?

ayyyyyy

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
SE Asia Thread: 1 Wife Enters, 1 Wife Leaves

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

webmeister posted:

For what type of trip? Drinking yourself into oblivion? Honeymoon? Doing yoga and meditating?

On our honeymoon we stayed in a private villa in Ayana down in Jimbaran, that's probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in so yeah.

Stayed at Dash Hotel in Seminyak a few weeks back and that was pretty good, though I'm not a fan of Seminyak particularly.

There's a whole bunch of places around Ubud if you want to visit there, though unless you're 10+ minutes drive from town and away from the road it won't be as peaceful as you expect.

I've heard good things about Sanur and Nusa Dua for just resorts, though these will probably be filled with obnoxious Australian families.

Avoid Kuta and Denpasar like the plague - unless getting blackout drunk with bogan Australians is your ideal party scene.

Combination of drinking myself into oblivion and relaxing. I'm taking a lady friend to the Maldives and staying at Niyama before I head to Bali (most likely in Bali solo or with non romantic friends). I hate being around families and children on vacation. Was looking at Banyan Tree, Ayana, Oberoi, and Mandapa for comparison but I really have no clue.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

You get what you pay for in Bali, so objectively great hotels will be objectively expensive

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

JaySB posted:

Combination of drinking myself into oblivion and relaxing. I'm taking a lady friend to the Maldives and staying at Niyama before I head to Bali (most likely in Bali solo or with non romantic friends). I hate being around families and children on vacation. Was looking at Banyan Tree, Ayana, Oberoi, and Mandapa for comparison but I really have no clue.

Okay if you hate being around families then avoid Ayana!

If you want to drink and chill out on the beach either solo or with friends, jump on a fast boat to Gili T (it's about 2 hours east of Bali by speedboat). That sounds way more your scene! It's a tiny little island with no cars or motorbikes, all transport is via horse-cart or bicycle, there's lots of bars for partying and backpackers to hook up with, but if you stay a bit out of town it's pretty quiet. The snorkelling's great too!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Is there a reason burning man culture appears to have some presence in bali

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is there a reason burning man culture appears to have some presence in bali

At least three reasons: Eat, Pray, Love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

webmeister posted:

Okay if you hate being around families then avoid Ayana!

If you want to drink and chill out on the beach either solo or with friends, jump on a fast boat to Gili T (it's about 2 hours east of Bali by speedboat). That sounds way more your scene! It's a tiny little island with no cars or motorbikes, all transport is via horse-cart or bicycle, there's lots of bars for partying and backpackers to hook up with, but if you stay a bit out of town it's pretty quiet. The snorkelling's great too!

Yeah I have a friend living on Gili T. Was planning to pop there for a couple days as well.