Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

Call of Cholula posted:

Betty Spaghetti is my thinspiration

Lmao I love you cho cho lula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Has anyone have their weekly shaxx bounty complete as soon as it's picked up? Only got 19 strange coins from it :(

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

ohrwurm posted:

Has anyone have their weekly shaxx bounty complete as soon as it's picked up? Only got 19 strange coins from it :(

the bounties stack, I had done three or so iron banners when I completed the mountaintop quest. I packages for 2 weeks in a row without completing a single bounty. FYI the weekly iron bounties count towards it too

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yes it happens if you complete extra bounties, generally from IB or something and no you get 19 strange coins all the time from Shaxx and its garbage as hell.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

ohrwurm posted:

Edit - beaten

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
Update on the matchmaking and communication situation from bungie.

https://m.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/4tmg1l/derek_carroll_confirmed_how_teams_get_matched_in/

TL;dr = it's a garbage fire

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ohrwurm posted:

Eh just buy all the 3ocs and heavy synth you can and then when iron rising boner comes out you can edge your factions and pop your packages and get 50 of the same exotic etc.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Holy moly Cozmo on damage control

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/0ldd85q.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/VmHUW0b.gifv

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I had 3 AUSGOONS at my wedding.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

The Meat Dimension posted:

Holy moly Cozmo on damage control

What happened?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

CheeseFactory posted:

What happened?

Nothin on dem tweeters. Im guessing reddit drama

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

CheeseFactory posted:

I had 3 AUSGOONS at my wedding.

How many of your groomsman were marsupials?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

CheeseFactory posted:

What happened?

It's really boring. A month ago, a Bungie developer made an honest mistake in a tweet regarding matchmaking. Today, people on Reddit went apeshit on the basis of the mistake. Cozmo quickly corrected the error. Reddit is, of course, now shouting LIES and DECEPTION because REDDIT is full of CHILDREN.

I've been in Derek's shoes before, where stuff changes internally and you aren't always aware or forget you changed something yourself. Then you gently caress up by not double-checking before saying the thing that is wrong. For this reason, I try to be very conservative in how I reply to people about product functionality. And even then I screw up a lot. It happens, you move on, you try harder next time. (Then it happens again and you develop a good drinking habit, like most seasoned engineers.)

It's funny to laugh at but people who are getting upset about it (lol reddit) are being silly.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Mikey-San posted:

It's really boring. A month ago, a Bungie developer made an honest mistake in a tweet regarding matchmaking. Today, people on Reddit went apeshit on the basis of the mistake. Cozmo quickly corrected the error. Reddit is, of course, now shouting LIES and DECEPTION because REDDIT is full of CHILDREN.

I've been in Derek's shoes before, where stuff changes internally and you aren't always aware or forget you changed something yourself. Then you gently caress up by not double-checking before saying the thing that is wrong. For this reason, I try to be very conservative in how I reply to people about product functionality. And even then I screw up a lot. It happens, you move on, you try harder next time. (Then it happens again and you develop a good drinking habit, like most seasoned engineers.)

It's funny to laugh at but people who are getting upset about it (lol reddit) are being silly.

What did the dev say wrong?

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
It's in the link I posted.

Derrick "no sbmm" Carroll said mm was based on fireteam lead skill.

Cosmo came in and said it was fireteam average.

Normally I'd just believe Cosmo but Derrick "Go Play Strikes" Carroll had a bunch of follow on tweets and was adamant. Also I bagged Cosmo.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

What did the dev say wrong?

He said that fireteam matchmaking was at least partially based on the max skill of the fireteam, for matching that involves fireteams. Today, after Reddit poo poo the bed, Cozmo showed up to say it's based on average skill of the fireteam. Big whoop.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Destiny Pubstomper posted:

Normally I'd just believe Cosmo but Derrick "Go Play Strikes" Carroll had a bunch of follow on tweets and was adamant.

Yeah, my spidey-sense says one of the following is true:

- Derek was thinking of a system that isn't current or didn't ship at all, and he was wrong
- Cozmo is wrong
- The actual matchmaking system is more complex than Twitter replies afford, neither is 100% wrong, and the community will never be satisfied with any answer(s)

The replies definitely indicate he's thinking of something concrete and specific, so who knows. Perhaps the real mistake was replying to anyone in the first place.

quote:

Also I bagged Cosmo.

This is the most important part of the story, BTW, CheeseFactory.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
Anecdotally I have a really high elo in control and iron banner but the matchmaking didn't reflect it at all today and we won 10/12 matches

Edit: and I was the fireteam lead

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mikey-San posted:

He said that fireteam matchmaking was at least partially based on the max skill of the fireteam, for matching that involves fireteams. Today, after Reddit poo poo the bed, Cozmo showed up to say it's based on average skill of the fireteam. Big whoop.

In my testing method of piggy backing on the few really bad players on my friends list it does go by average. Your lovely friend will still get stunted on while you go for 360 no scopes and still pull off a 3 kd but its pretty obvious. So i can understand why bad players would think derek was accurate.

The even more lovely thing though is that dude who reference the notes from the lawsuit that developer levelled at bungie that revealed a big part of the problems with destiny came about and continue because some sperg whos at the top of the hill will dig their heels in on some issues and actively decide against something their team is reccomending because they can.

I dont doubt this is why sbmm is such a major issue inspite of the overwhelming community opposition.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Derrick "Go Play Strikes" Carroll

I have a ton of sympathy for developers and designers who have the courage to talk about their work in public, but hoooly poo poo was that a terrible reply.

e: Derek's, not A Buff Gay Dude's

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mikey-San posted:

I have a ton of sympathy for developers and designers who have the courage to talk about their work in public, but hoooly poo poo was that a terrible reply.

As someone who'll often be inflammatory because i can I would probably be more of a troll when I had the shits.

A guy like Deej is just the lightning rod so some poor dude who designs weapon skins doesnt have people track down his families facebook or whatever but at this point they could garner a lot of goodwill just by releasing a pvp development message every month or so.

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

I don't think about my hands too much. Just trying to hit the ball in the air. Hit the ball in the air!

Update on the matchmaking and communication situation from bungie.

https://m.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/4tmg1l/derek_carroll_confirmed_how_teams_get_matched_in/

TL;dr = it's a garbage fire

Now I kinda feel bad playing with all those mostly pve guys I met via the100.io, but I also feel better about my performances.

edit: or not.

OdinsBeard fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 20, 2016

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
Deej is a dipshit too though. I purposefully renamed my GT to troll morons by bringing out their latent homosexuality.

And of course Deej of all people walked right into the trap, on their loving livestream lmao, and yet again it fell on Cozmo to do damage mitigation. Cosmo actually seems alright for a fwiggen former reddit moderator.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

OdinsBeard posted:

Now I kinda feel bad playing with all those mostly pve guys I met via the100.io, but I also feel better about my performances.

It can be fun sometimes educating poo poo players on things like "use lightning grenades, not pulse grenades for pvp" or "no back up plans arent much good for a sunbreaker bro".

Getting 4 sniper kills to start the game on frontier and hearing everyone praise your godlike but actually pretty average ability is weird. Must be what that hush dude feels from his youtube comments.

That was an odd lfg experience. Deal breakers and raid weapons everywhere. Not using quickdraw on snipers all sorts of terrible subclass loadouts.

Also once got picked up into a 6 by a PVE streamer of no consequence looking for an ib team on lfg and proceeded to tell him why he was poo poo at pvp and how to improve while dropping a 3kd game. My psn messenger got a bit of hate for that and i got booted from the chat and fireteam before the 2nd game started.

LFG while being the worst has at least lead to some funny stuff.

An american dude being shocked at the free use of the word oval office on a crota raid when we used lfg to find a 6th while crux hunting was good. His awkwardness trying to use it too was just funny.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Deej is a dipshit too though. I purposefully renamed my GT to troll morons by bringing out their latent homosexuality.

And of course Deej of all people walked right into the trap, on their loving livestream lmao, and yet again it fell on Cozmo to do damage mitigation. Cosmo actually seems alright for a fwiggen former reddit moderator.

Did anyone ever upload a vid link of your game from anyones perspective . I wanted to see it?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

First Nirwens drop was oas secret round bf and third eye lol

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine

BlindSite posted:

Did anyone ever upload a vid link of your game from anyones perspective . I wanted to see it?

It's still on their twitch channel at 1:43:25.

I didn't record it and I'm glad I didn't because I loving poo poo the bed hard the first half of the match.

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

Booties posted:

8 PM Bone Crew Raid - Oryx Hard Mode:

1. Booties
2. xzzy
3. Fifty Three

sub 1.
sub 2.

If this is still happening I'm in. Should be on in 20 minutes.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
This map rotation suuuuuuuuuuks.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
A/C caps on Vertigo Trip Report: good!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

sunday at work posted:

This map rotation suuuuuuuuuuks.

As long as its not widows court every 2nd go.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

BlindSite posted:

That's what I'm getting to break up the Bannerfall/Pantheon.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

el B posted:

A/C caps on Vertigo Trip Report: good!

this is the pro vertigo strat. hoses teams who only know how to snipe down mid ramp and throw grenades at the sides of B.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

BlindSite posted:

Widow's Court is easily the most fun map in the game right now. As it's one of two maps that isn't three loving hallways that run the length of the map.

I carefully drew the maps I'm talking about #

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
Farmers court is fine. Bannerfall is poo poo imho

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fennesz posted:

Widow's Court is easily the most fun map in the game right now. As it's one of two maps that isn't three loving hallways that run the length of the map.

I carefully drew the maps I'm talking about #

My top 3 maps are firebase delphi, burning shrine and asylum.

Widows court i hate but always seem to do well on.

I like sector whatever the gently caress and pantheon too.

Only problems with delphi and pantheon are if your team mates arent willing to warrior for b from the jump. If they puss its all over. Also i got 41 kills on pantheon and a sick quad kill with my sniper rifle against 4 people hardscoping. So i really love that map even if it is hell when youre getting your poo poo pushed in because of the spawn traps.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Fuckin love Pantheon

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

BlindSite posted:

My top 3 maps are firebase delphi, burning shrine and asylum.

Widows court i hate but always seem to do well on.

I like sector whatever the gently caress and pantheon too.

Only problems with delphi and pantheon are if your team mates arent willing to warrior for b from the jump. If they puss its all over. Also i got 41 kills on pantheon and a sick quad kill with my sniper rifle against 4 people hardscoping. So i really love that map even if it is hell when youre getting your poo poo pushed in because of the spawn traps.

:agreed: Those maps are actually pretty good. I like Memento too. Pantheon's center seems convoluted to me. They couldn't figure out what to put in the center so just dropped a giant cube on it.

I just wish that Bungie didn't get so hung up on having all of the maps except a few be symmetrical.

\/ I hate Pantheon because it's all or nothing. Because it's two hallways running lengthwise down the map. The third, outside "hall" doesn't matter because it provides zero map control and doesn't contribute toward the center whatsoever. It's not even useful for flanking because you have to move vertically toward the rest of the map. If you control the center you win the game. And forcing control of the center usually hinges on someone going huge with a super and happening to have teammates in position to capitalize. That doesn't mean people shouldn't enjoy it. I just don't think it's very good.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
Pantheon is good but man you gotta hold B and break spawn trap.

Last few times I've played Pantheon the other team has been tentative and I've been able to shotgun warrior 3+ as they come out of the middle lane. Then the whole squad is on B and we spawn trap em. Funny poo poo.

• Locked thread