Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I know the Brando's shaved head especially pissed off Coppola. He just did that on his own without talking to anybody. The fact that he was overweight probably wasn't completely unexpected by that point with Brando.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eh, at that point, anybody in Hollywood who didn't know what they were getting by signing Brando, especially Coppola, was firmly in denial.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Wikipedia mentions that there were 3 other similar underwater triller movies that also came out in 1989/1990 but I haven't seen them: The Rift, The Evil Below, and Lords of the Deep.

6 themed movies in roughly a year, is that a record?

As far as movies expected to be "real" movies and make some money at the box office I think it is.

You all should watch The Rift though. The same way Leviathan is an at times shameless ripoff of Alien, The Rift, released in the same year is literally a low budget Leviathan.

I say literally because after producing Leviathan for $30 million, Dino Di Laurentis decided to ride the Abyss wave even more by funding a low budget rip off of his own ripoff flick! :O But unfortunately The Rift is also probably the only one of those three actually worth seeing. The Evil Below should have been the coolest and most interesting of them all but the majority of the film is like The Deep where it's just treasure diving and the supernatural elements are barely there. Not that The Rift is GOOD, but it's good enough schlock on a rainy day.

Lords of the Deep is so crappy it makes Jaws 3-D look like The Abyss.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xenomrph posted:

I remember reading that a lot of that was an unintentional byproduct of Marlon Brando being massively uncooperative while filming, and Coppola having to make do with what he could get.

A cursory Google search brings up a few articles about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/telluride-francis-ford-coppola-spills-729281

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_55bf66e1e4b06363d5a29e84

It may be that as well, but Heart of Darkness I think does the same thing. They build up Kurtz to be this awesome figure, and then they find him and he is sick as hell. It is a really cool effect.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

Anyone see Leviathan?

Leviathan is a 1989 science fiction horror film directed by George P. Cosmatos and written by David Peoples and Jeb Stuart. It stars Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Ernie Hudson, and Daniel Stern. It follows the crew of an underwater geological facility as they are stalked and killed by a hideous creature.

Its basically alien 1 underwater. Underwater truckers. Main actor is the guy who played ROBOCOP!

Oh God I love Leviathan so much. "I know you've gone through hell..." "Gone? Bitch we're still here!"

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

It may be that as well, but Heart of Darkness I think does the same thing. They build up Kurtz to be this awesome figure, and then they find him and he is sick as hell. It is a really cool effect.

Watch the doc if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OawzRyDJhTw

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

As far as movies expected to be "real" movies and make some money at the box office I think it is.

You all should watch The Rift though. The same way Leviathan is an at times shameless ripoff of Alien, The Rift, released in the same year is literally a low budget Leviathan.

I say literally because after producing Leviathan for $30 million, Dino Di Laurentis decided to ride the Abyss wave even more by funding a low budget rip off of his own ripoff flick! :O But unfortunately The Rift is also probably the only one of those three actually worth seeing. The Evil Below should have been the coolest and most interesting of them all but the majority of the film is like The Deep where it's just treasure diving and the supernatural elements are barely there. Not that The Rift is GOOD, but it's good enough schlock on a rainy day.

Lords of the Deep is so crappy it makes Jaws 3-D look like The Abyss.

This makes me want to try and track down cheap copies and check them out, for some reason I'm a pretty big sucker for underwater thriller/horror/action movies. Heck, I think Sphere is a cool movie and has some significant improvements over the book.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wild T posted:

It had more to do with Kurtz's speeches in Apocalypse Now about realizing that the NVA were unbeatable unless the US was willing to become just as brutal and amoral. Dutch recognizes that his team has repeatedly failed because they stuck to what they knew. Only after his friends and equipment are stripped away and he's literally regressed to a caveman can he accept and adopt his enemy's tactics.

I think it's another interesting point that the word 'predator' is never used. The first time it strikes, it's only referred to as "The Jungle." It's a living embodiment of the US's failed tactics and hubris that proved futile against an undefined enemy. In the final act Dutch coats himself in mud, fashions weapons from the trees and literally incorporates The Jungle into himself.

Predator differs from Alien in that there's actually very little nightmare-logic in it. The creature ultimately is 'just' a large dude with a cloaking device.

However, next time you watch the film, pay very close attention to the Billy character - everything he says and does - because I don't buy this "what do your elf eyes see" bullshit about his Indian nose.

After discovering the skinned bodies, Billy barely participates in the firefight. And it's only after that, standing in a wide shot of the desolation, that he actually laughs - a little too hard - at a pussy joke, as if the implications have just set in. As usual, the critical point is to temporarily ignore the literal alien, because what is worse: that Billy sees an alien, or that he doesn't?

Billy: There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

Well hell, he didn't say anything about a literal creature. He's referring to some Thing - beyond the creature - that produces the fantastic creature in much the same way the Forbidden Planet's id-machine does.

There's an ambiguous moment, later in the film, where Anna sits and contemplates the green stain on her thigh, and we cut to the creature, repairing the wound on its thigh. Is this Anna's dream? Only she and Billy see the blood - but then they're both surprised by the roar.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Predator is a fantastic movie

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Predator and Alien are fantastic, I know it would probably be a disaster but I think some sort of crossover could be done. Perhaps a predator and an alien are the same place and end up having to fight with some humans in the middle. Could make an interesting movie, would have to obviously be set in the aliens universe since the alternative would just be stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It could make a dope fun movie with someone creative and who's willing to not crib scenes from the originals.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If Sigourney Weaver were involved she'd demand a sex scene with the Predator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

ruddiger posted:

If Sigourney Weaver were involved I'd demand a sex scene with the Predator.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I am fine with Ripley either teaming up with a Predator or somehow becoming a Predator.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Timeless Appeal posted:

I am fine with Ripley either teaming up with a Predator or somehow becoming a Predator.

As an Alien hybrid she had acidic blood and predatory instincts, what would she get as a Predator hybrid? Glowing, green blood and poor sportsmanship? Alien Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) teams up with Predator Ripley (CGI, voiced by Weaver), but since they keep fighting, the Company has Android Ripley (Michael Fassbender) join them as a mediator.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The biggest gently caress up in the AVP movies is that both times they thought it would be super awesome not to have loving colonial marines.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's very easy to approach Predator as an Alien sequel, with the ship at the start being Ripley's escape pod - returning her to Earth altered by her experiences, and wearing her symbolic armor.

Remember, the alternate ending where the alien kills her, and then begins speaking in her voice.

In Dan O'Bannon's Star Beast script, 'Ripley' keeps the jockey's skull in a case, as a trophy.

BillBear posted:

The biggest gently caress up in the AVP movies is that both times they thought it would be super awesome not to have loving colonial marines.

The scene where the aliens slaughter the national guard is amazing, and better than anything in Aliens.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The scene where the aliens slaughter the national guard is amazing, and better than anything in Aliens.

Totally!

I liked when the guy was pulled under the car off camera and some red corn syrup was splattered across and a big, ugly dopy looking man in a suit pops up and goes arrrrrr. Quality!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

A while ago (maybe in this thread?) someone was saying how the home releases of AvP Requiem are darkly lit to the point where it's almost hard to tell what's even happening whenever the Aliens are doing stuff, but that the theatrical release was much brighter. Was this true or just some bullshit?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

A while ago (maybe in this thread?) someone was saying how the home releases of AvP Requiem are darkly lit to the point where it's almost hard to tell what's even happening whenever the Aliens are doing stuff, but that the theatrical release was much brighter. Was this true or just some bullshit?

The other way around, if I remember right. I think the suggestion was also made to crank the brightness and contrast on your television to further mitigate the darkness.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
If it is true it would be some bullshit so I don't know how to answer that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Biomute posted:

Could God release an extended version of Aliens even he doesn't like? If he can't, he's not God, if he can, he doesn't like Aliens.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I think that's how Ripley kills Bishop, but I don't remember much from these poo poo movies.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The home release of AVPR looked fine once I cranked up the brightness on my monitor. It's obnoxious you have to do that, but it's not that big a deal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't mind how dark AvP:R was, I liked that better than AvP which was just so flat and boring looking.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's very easy to approach Predator as an Alien sequel, with the ship at the start being Ripley's escape pod - returning her to Earth altered by her experiences, and wearing her symbolic armor.

Remember, the alternate ending where the alien kills her, and then begins speaking in her voice.

In Dan O'Bannon's Star Beast script, 'Ripley' keeps the jockey's skull in a case, as a trophy.

It's a great parallel to the police barricade scene in Return of the Living Dead (also by O'Bannon).

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Neo Rasa posted:

I rewatched it recently. It's just mixed way too dark, even in the daytime scenes, and you can't see poo poo. All that happens if you turn up brightness and contrast is that now you get a washed out grey picture where you can't see poo poo.

Edit: In comparison, AvP1 happens inside an underground (underice?) dark black and grey pyramid, and you can see every detail of everything that happens perfectly fine.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Is any of the AvP movies actually worth watching? Anywhere near the quality of Alien3, say?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Apollodorus posted:

Is any of the AvP movies actually worth watching? Anywhere near the quality of Alien3, say?
They have their moments. The first movie is basically Prometheus/At the Mountains of Madness. The set design and practical effects in AvP are solid, Lance Henriksen plays a better and more sympathetic Weyland than Guy Pearce does, and some of the action is cool even if it strays a bit closer to Alien Resurrection's "no stakes super-badass" action rather than Aliens' "tension-filled backs-to-the-wall" action. It's pg13 which doesn't cripple it nearly as much as you'd expect (and there's an unrated cut with more gore anyway if that's your thing).

AvP Requiem is basically a semi-schlocky small-town disaster flick (like, say, Return of the Living Dead, The Crazies, or The Bay) that happens to have Aliens and Predators in it. The Predator is an enormous badass that does not give a gently caress about the humans whatsoever, most of the practical effects are pretty good (although some of the Aliens look goofy in some shots), it's got a lot of callbacks to the Alien and Predator movies executed with varying degrees of competency, and it's a hard-R movie so you see plenty of people get hosed up.

From a filmmaking standpoint, neither are as "good" as Alien3, but they're also wildly different in tone. The practical effects are easily as good as Alien3 since they're done by the same exact effects studio.

I think they're both like 90 minutes so it's not like you're sitting down to watch Das Boot or Lawrence of Arabia or something.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

Not even close

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Apollodorus posted:

All of them.

They are the best alien movies. Take my word for it, there's people here that actually like Prometheus.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

AvP is fun

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

Biomute posted:

Honestly, I think this is why I so strongly disliked AvP:R. Oh look the Aliens are in a sewer doing... something. If only I could see what they are doing because I bet that would be interesting.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I got over the darkness when I first watched AVP2 on HBO or Skinemax, and on DVD the time I rented it. Didn't like it, but got over it.

But the scene in the hospital* makes me die a little bit inside every time I see it, though I guess it's in line with the cold, uncaring mean-spiritedness you see a lot in the comics and such. Which I guess is what they were going for.

I do agree with Xenomrph that the overall vibe of the film, small town vs brutal extraterrestrial monsters, is pretty cool.

*i don't want to spoil the experience for anyone ITT who hasn't had the pleasure yet

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't like the idea of an Alien movie being trashy. It feels wrong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It feels wrong, but it's something different, and I dig that. More sequels to long-running franchises need to do ballsy, weird poo poo like that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The franchise isn't young and cute anymore; it needs to go trashy or classy if it wants to get attention. The Brothers Strause aren't going to make Prometheus, so AVPR it is, and that's still pretty good.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!

CelticPredator posted:

God forbid alien rape monsters be trashy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sir Kodiak posted:

The franchise isn't young and cute anymore; it needs to go trashy or classy if it wants to get attention. The Brothers Strause aren't going to make Prometheus, so AVPR it is, and that's still pretty good.

I just don't like this movie and really don't understand why anyone here likes it. And I've seen it waaaay more times than I'd like to admit. It's just, when I got right down to why I enjoyed it initially when it came out, it was just because it was rated R, people exploded, there were references, and the Predator didn't get killed in the first 15 minutes. I just don't get anything from it now a days. It lacks the weird creativeness the series is known for. Like, you can poo poo on Prometheus, but there's at least 2-3 really incredible sequences in that film (more if you enjoy it!). Shaw's birthing scene is Alien as gently caress, and has that really nasty, gets under your skin edge to it that hasn't been in the series for a while.

Also, I hate how many references are in that drat thing. Almost every scene is a homage to another scene in the Alien/Predator films. They even crib dialog all the goddamn time. Like they do the "Get to the chopper" thing. There's a character named loving Dallas. They drive an APC through Aliens. The score is a mishmash of both series. (although I think it owns) It's just too frustrating for me, all. I just love these series' with all my heart and I don't like seeing it reduced entirely to shlock. A little shlock is alright, you couldn't make an AvP film without it. I mean, it's two rubber monsters pretending to hit each other. It's just gonna happen.

But at the same time, you can write characters and scenes that are just as neat and memorable as the one's that came before without outright stealing it. Ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I just don't like this movie and really don't understand why anyone here likes it. And I've seen it waaaay more times than I'd like to admit. It's just, when I got right down to why I enjoyed it initially when it came out, it was just because it was rated R, people exploded, there were references, and the Predator didn't get killed in the first 15 minutes. I just don't get anything from it now a days. It lacks the weird creativeness the series is known for. Like, you can poo poo on Prometheus, but there's at least 2-3 really incredible sequences in that film (more if you enjoy it!). Shaw's birthing scene is Alien as gently caress, and has that really nasty, gets under your skin edge to it that hasn't been in the series for a while.

Also, I hate how many references are in that drat thing. Almost every scene is a homage to another scene in the Alien/Predator films. They even crib dialog all the goddamn time. Like they do the "Get to the chopper" thing. There's a character named loving Dallas. They drive an APC through Aliens. The score is a mishmash of both series. (although I think it owns) It's just too frustrating for me, all. I just love these series' with all my heart and I don't like seeing it reduced entirely to shlock. A little shlock is alright, you couldn't make an AvP film without it. I mean, it's two rubber monsters pretending to hit each other. It's just gonna happen.

But at the same time, you can write characters and scenes that are just as neat and memorable as the one's that came before without outright stealing it. Ya know?
I can absolutely understand where you're coming from. Alien and Predator were made with such care and reverence that despite their goofy, paper thin premises and literal "man in a monster suit" creatures, they elevated themselves above mere schlock through sheer talent and attention to detail. The reason they're so revered and analyzed (and well remembered and homaged) is because of the filmmakers' skill in taking what easily could have been the cheesiest, schlockiest B-movie garbage and making the best movie they possibly could, regardless of the subject matter or any preconceived stigma or stereotype. That's how you get high-concept movies that become cultural milestones (e.g., the bulk of Spielberg's career until the mid 90s). There's something special about that, and it's worth recognizing.

At the same time, I'm the kind of fan that is really okay with seeing how different creators tackle the same basic Alien and Predator ideas and throwing new stuff into the mix, be it genre shifts, new creature concepts, etc.
Will every attempt be a success? Of course not, but I'd much rather have creators try and fail than not try at all. Even the failures can have interesting ideas (half-baked though they may be), and I'd like to think that other creators might look at the "bad" movies and recognize their shortcomings while capitalizing on their strengths.

For example, for all its schlock and callbacks, I'd like to think a filmmaker might look at AvPR and say, for example, "that's a Predator protagonist done right. Despite communicating to the audience entirely through gestures and body language, and being openly hostile to the other protagonists, he's still easy to understand and interesting and sympathetic to watch."