Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

John Charity Spring posted:

It depends which wizard you got. If it's a Celestial Wizard you're probably best off just using him as a construction cost reducer in Reikland, deployed there forever.

How do you deploy someone in a province? Does that just mean have them sitting on the mini-map not deployed in an Army? How do they level up that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Megasabin posted:

How do you deploy someone in a province? Does that just mean have them sitting on the mini-map not deployed in an Army? How do they level up that way?

Select a hero that is not attached to an army and there will be a little button on the bottom of the screen that looks like an eye, click it to deploy. When a hero is deployed they can't move, but give some kind of bonus depending on the hero. For example, an empire captain lowers unrest in friendly province (or raises it in hostile) while deployed. Deployed heroes get a little bit of experience each turn that they are deployed.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spiros posted:

Is there any reason you can't just roll with Dragon Ogres as your cav AND monster

You can, and I actually like Dragon Ogres (I used them in the tourney final). I'm willing to count them as both cav and monster but I mentioned the lack of affordable melee cav. Dragon Ogres are 1600g. The barrier to entry for Chaos cavalry is 1450g for (normal) Chaos knights. There is no cheaper option for melee cavalry for them. The second highest barrier to entry for melee cav of any faction is the Empire at 900g for Empire Knights. Everyone else is even lower than that in addition to having mid tier options in the 900g to 1200g range.

Chaos has good mid-tier options for infantry. For cavalry they do not. You either go super-elite or you don't field it at all.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=727843684

I made a quick mod that gives some of the planned beastmen stuff to chaos. Obviously it isn't exactly the same, I haven't really tested it beyond checking that the effect text is in-game and seems to be working at a glance and I can almost guarantee it's super broken from a balance perspective given chaos' units, but hey somebody might have fun playing around with it.

edit: still plan on looking into replenishment and just adding ambush to channeling later, in a separate mod, but have to mess around with ambush more to get a feel for how gradient the +50 stat on it is if I change it to something lower since at some point I imagine it's mostly useless

Rygar201 posted:

Goon modders, is it possible to mod zone of control sizes?

Yes, but there's not much room to increase it without constantly getting stuck in other zones of control, unable to move out of range of a settlement or another army until you attack it. It's in one of the campaign variable or maybe the kv_rules table, I forget which. I think default it's something like 3.75? Increasing it to 4 you start running into the occasional issue but it's mostly playable/satisfying though much higher than 4 is too obnoxious to even consider seriously.

edit: v I just wish I could find out how to add back in the shogun 2 mechanic where armies in settlements multiply the base zone of control. That's all I personally want to increase from base.

Decus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 20, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I wish garrisons got the ability to intercept enemies in their province.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Huh, retried the beginning of my VC campaign and when I bring Zhufbar to their last settlement I have no option to subjugate them. Anyone know what the secret is to getting the subjugate option? They have no armies, no other settlements, and they are not the vassal of anyone else. I easily verified it by saving, razing the city and seeing the 'zhufbar faction destroyed' message.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How do you get a second army going as Chaos? I can't see a way of doing it without going into massive debt, the new lord does not have the growth to get buildings to reduce upkeep fast and he can't tag along to get XP for growth skills cause of the infighting attrition.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dongattack posted:

How do you get a second army going as Chaos? I can't see a way of doing it without going into massive debt, the new lord does not have the growth to get buildings to reduce upkeep fast and he can't tag along to get XP for growth skills cause of the infighting attrition.

Debt is not a problem. Sack sack sack!

And early game, I made my second stack almost entirely of marauders. They have virtually no upkeep and work perfectly fine as (autoresolve) fodder.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dongattack posted:

By debt you mean running a deficit right? IIRC you can't actually go into debt, you just hit 0 and your units get debuffed or disbanded or something. But running a deficit is expected for most of a Chaos campaign. You'll only be in the black for the first few turns. As posted above, you stay afloat by sacking and finishing chapter objectives.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If your new stack is about to get attacked and outmatched or completely cornered just go into its general's profile and hit the button in the bottom right to swap out for a fresh baby one with a bad trait. For 825 gold or whatever it is you keep the lord--with his +horde growth--that you were leveling and weed out a bad lord from the pool compared to just losing everything. Not losing everything is worth way more than the gold. You can also just full disband, though sometimes it's worth fighting and at least weakening whatever attacked or trying for a win.

If you don't build/upgrade anything and just use marauders you can be really reckless in leveling the lord with the above as your escape strategy.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I'm taking a break from multiplayer and playing a single player campaign with some mods, including some unit pack mods. Some of the units are cool, some are poo poo so I want to disable the poo poo units. How deep into modding am I looking at here?

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Huh, retried the beginning of my VC campaign and when I bring Zhufbar to their last settlement I have no option to subjugate them. Anyone know what the secret is to getting the subjugate option? They have no armies, no other settlements, and they are not the vassal of anyone else. I easily verified it by saving, razing the city and seeing the 'zhufbar faction destroyed' message.

Are you sure they only have 1 last settlement? Review on the diplomacy to make sure they didn't pickup a strange province somewhere. I also think you can only subjugate a faction when their last city is the capital of the province.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

I'm taking a break from multiplayer and playing a single player campaign with some mods, including some unit pack mods. Some of the units are cool, some are poo poo so I want to disable the poo poo units. How deep into modding am I looking at here?

This is incredibly easy to do. Just open the .pack with pack file manager and delete stuff related to the units you don't want. You should only see entries for the units the mod has added/modified so I'm sure you can figure it out no problem. Honestly, the only thing you'd really need to delete is the row allowing them to be recruited by a specific building.

Make sure you save the mod as a separate file though, and enable that instead of the original. Otherwise the launcher will automatically update and overwrite your changes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Jesus loving Christ I just had to exit a chaos game because I sent an injured Siegvald stack to some norscan territories to recover after a quest battle but instead of taking the 2 turn trip by boat he took the 11 turn trip by land and wound up next to two massive armies and before I noticed I had clicked next turn. Autosave got overwritten and now his massive horde with a million good buildings is dead. I love this game but it has a lot of little problems that really detract from it.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Movement around water is incredibly loving fiddly and I've literally lost High Kings in Attila from this alone.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You can't subjugate them. You can force them to become a vassal though. Sack their last city, offer a peace treaty, then add the demand "become vassal"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jamwad Hilder posted:

You can't subjugate them. You can force them to become a vassal though. Sack their last city, offer a peace treaty, then add the demand "become vassal"

Ahh, well they pretty much hate me for wiping them out so they won't accept being my vassal. Not sure how this works out for other VC players.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It can be hit or miss, you have to force it on them early in my experience.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ahh, well they pretty much hate me for wiping them out so they won't accept being my vassal. Not sure how this works out for other VC players.

It worked for me while they still had -200 opinion of me

Zhufbar had Zhufbar and Mount Gunbad left, I sacked Zhufbar half a dozen times and the Broken Spears captures Gunbad and they accepted.

Zhufbar was also at war with Greenskins, Karak Kadran, and Averland so that might factor into it

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Couple things I noticed from that.

Four choice darkmoon event is nice but the choices are nowhere near balanced with eachother, the murder of crows penalty of -10% archer ammo for 2 turns is nowhere near the downside of every army starting as tired in battle for 4 turns.

The building chain that reduces upkeep but also reduces horde growth seems like a bad trade-off considering how much sacking gold you get and should probably only be built as the final building after you got everything else and don't need growth anymore.

-5% research rate for every tech researched is a pretty neat mechanic, but they have never been great at balancing these sorts of things so I'm sure the tech that makes your strongest unit 20% stronger is going to be on the same cost as getting +10% speed on warhounds, so there will be things you'll always want to beeline for and others to ignore completely which I could already see in the little preview.

The faction leader's final item quest is for armor with +10 armor 20% magic resist, you can find common items with better defensive stats then that.

No march stance which means I hope they are removing march from the other factions too.

The Beastmen research looks hilariously powerful if you can expect the kind of sack income at/near the start of the game they were getting in that video. Sack a few settlements, have +40% to your research rate and get some good techs. There was a +15 melee attack tech for ungors and gors in there. That's nuts. I don't know what their base tech cost is but if it's not really high they could easily be broken as gently caress.

The upkeep reduction building also seems pretty weak, that's a huge penalty to one of your most important campaign numbers for the sake of saving money, and if they're anything like chaos money is not really an issue ever past the first few turns. Assuming they keep things the same for release, since the dude said they'd already changed when you get the bonus for the moon thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gitro posted:

The upkeep reduction building also seems pretty weak, that's a huge penalty to one of your most important campaign numbers for the sake of saving money, and if they're anything like chaos money is not really an issue ever past the first few turns. Assuming they keep things the same for release, since the dude said they'd already changed when you get the bonus for the moon thing.

How so it allows you to create more hordes with more high tier units without bleeding you dry.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly the Beastmen look really strong compared to the Warriors of Chaos or at least less annoying. Warhammer was fun, but two 100 turn failed WoC campaigns just made me angry and I quit playing.

I think the lead dev must have run with a Beastmen TT army and hated everyone else who laughed at him and his weak army.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 20, 2016

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
there's definitely a tipping point with a Chaos Warriors horde where you stop really caring about growth entirely so it's probably just there as a late-game option at least. Or perhaps specialized hordes (herds?) will be a thing now that they can work together a little more effectively, no need to max out every building chain.

it's also likely that the pacing for beastmen is a lot different, what with the starting positions, all the options for hiding and ambushing and having to commit to fully destroying any town you do actually attack. Doubling back for panic money is going to be a lot less effective. Raiding might be an option too if it becomes more useful to keep certain regions alive for later.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Was the VC campaign raise dead bug ever fixed? I started one earlier and have had several battles with over 2k deaths, but still only see skeletons and zombies available.

My last VC game I was raising crypt horrors and poo poo all over the place.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ubercrunchy posted:

Was the VC campaign raise dead bug ever fixed? I started one earlier and have had several battles with over 2k deaths, but still only see skeletons and zombies available.

Are you playing on a larger unit size? Was the opposing army also big enough?

Gitro
May 29, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

How so it allows you to create more hordes with more high tier units without bleeding you dry.

Sure, except if you aren't building it last it slows down getting to them in the first place. I mean it's great late-game, but if they work like chaos you tend to just build a huge warchest that slowly trickles out before getting enormously replenished whenever you feel like it. Bleeding money isn't really an issue once you get momentum going, but maybe it's different for the beastmen. It'd work really well in letting you just make support hordes of higher tier stuff once they hit t3. Depends on the total base horde growth, but if they're like chaos (lots of ifs) then -5 would be enough to nix their base rate if not make it negative most turns IIRC. It looks like each chain is involved enough that they probably can't do the chaos trick of ripping down the marauder building too.

Beastmen look cool, I am sold on this DLC. Really want to see how potentially broken their research gimmick is. I've never really used raise dead, are the units it brings up permanent? Because if so a Wilds shaman seems like a pretty sweet way to shortcut yourself into a t5 unit.

ubercrunchy posted:

There's a unit per army requirement which might be it. If you're playing on larger unit sizes you might be hitting 2k casualties without the base unit requirement in both armies (14 maybe?) It's another case of suffering from CA making the mechanics really arcane because documentation is for chumps.

e: Is there any word on if there are going to be two separate beastment factions in the grand campaign for each LL? It'd be kind of lame if the beastmen were only ever chilling in Estalia unless you played them. Or are they getting the savage orc treatment?

Gitro fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jul 20, 2016

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beastmen have Confederation listed as faction traits in the campaign walkthrough, so there definitely are minor Beastmen factions being added around the map.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

ZearothK posted:

Beastmen have Confederation listed as faction traits in the campaign walkthrough, so there definitely are minor Beastmen factions being added around the map.

This could just be the case for the mini-campaign, since they've explicitly said there are minor tribes of Beastmen to unite there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ZearothK posted:

That sounds pretty fun, it'd be neat to have more hordes roaming around the map. The nice thing about hordes as an enemy faction is that they're an acute risk that can pop up suddenly and force you to react quickly, but once you beat them they're gone with no more tedious mopping up required.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

420 Gank Mid posted:

It worked for me while they still had -200 opinion of me

Zhufbar had Zhufbar and Mount Gunbad left, I sacked Zhufbar half a dozen times and the Broken Spears captures Gunbad and they accepted.

Zhufbar was also at war with Greenskins, Karak Kadran, and Averland so that might factor into it

They are close to -700 with me, so that's probably it. I sacked the beejeezus out of Oakenhammer to help level up Mannfred. I'm probably better off without having them as vassals anyway as my vassals always seem to drag me into wars I'm not interested in (like the schwarz-whatever attacking the greenskins).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

They are close to -700 with me, so that's probably it. I sacked the beejeezus out of Oakenhammer to help level up Mannfred. I'm probably better off without having them as vassals anyway as my vassals always seem to drag me into wars I'm not interested in (like the schwarz-whatever attacking the greenskins).

Schwarz aren't attacking greenskins. Your vassals can't declare war. Greenskins are attacking your vassals. Because greenskins are unreliable, aggressive dicks that pretty much HAVE to be always at war and will poo poo all over whatever plan you have set up.

Personally I ally with Zhufbar, NOT vassalise them. Beating up on them alongside the bloody spears already pretty much already sets you on the path of the greenskins, earning you diplomatic maluses all over the place, and also weakens them, setting them up for confederation.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 20, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Weird that so many people have the Dwarfs hang in and eventually triumph over the Greenskins. Not only has that never been the case for me, but they're still dwindling when I have two stacks down south sacking and razing Orc settlements. It's like they want to die. It's annoying because I spent half the game greasing their palm to be an expensive bulwark against the hooligans down there.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Weird that so many people have the Dwarfs hang in and eventually triumph over the Greenskins. Not only has that never been the case for me, but they're still dwindling when I have two stacks down south sacking and razing Orc settlements. It's like they want to die. It's annoying because I spent half the game greasing their palm to be an expensive bulwark against the hooligans down there.

Yeah, dwarfs Always ALWAYS lose to Greenskins in my games. Which is honestly a good thing because it makes Eliminate Dwarfs objectives a doddle. (I can only guess how annoying it must be to root them out of Kazad Azul) They typically hold out long enough to keep Grimgor off my back, at least.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Just played out the Ghal Maraz battle. Decided it would be awesome to have Karl 1v1 the Orc Warboss in the air at the beginning. Oops.

The Empire had to watch their Emperor flee the field on Deathclaw right over their heads. Fortunately the army doesn't need no jumped up noble to show them how to fight. Guess he gets to wield his poncy warhammer now, though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It's funny, I've played the VC campaign twice and both times, the Dwarfs have wiped out the Greenskins without any help from me. I aborted the last campaign because I didn't want to spend another 40 turns rooting every last mountain settlement out to complete the objective.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wilekat posted:

Just played out the Ghal Maraz battle. Decided it would be awesome to have Karl 1v1 the Orc Warboss in the air at the beginning. Oops.

The Empire had to watch their Emperor flee the field on Deathclaw right over their heads. Fortunately the army doesn't need no jumped up noble to show them how to fight. Guess he gets to wield his poncy warhammer now, though.

That happened my first time doing that battle to. Can I just say, love the idea, rarely do the quest battles Not because the battles are hard to get to, unlocking them usually requires a tonne of steps. Speaking of, has anyone finished all the bonus objectives for each chapter? I usually only hit one or two.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

That happened my first time doing that battle to. Can I just say, love the idea, rarely do the quest battles Not because the battles are hard to get to, unlocking them usually requires a tonne of steps. Speaking of, has anyone finished all the bonus objectives for each chapter? I usually only hit one or two.

I can usually hit 3 or 4 on the later ones, but there's usually one that's like "Be at war with 35 factions" that makes me go :wtc:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Nanomashoes posted:

Jesus loving Christ I just had to exit a chaos game because I sent an injured Siegvald stack to some norscan territories to recover after a quest battle but instead of taking the 2 turn trip by boat he took the 11 turn trip by land and wound up next to two massive armies and before I noticed I had clicked next turn. Autosave got overwritten and now his massive horde with a million good buildings is dead. I love this game but it has a lot of little problems that really detract from it.
Its my least favorite thing about Chaos. You are supposed to be an unstoppable horde of Chaos, not an elite special ops stack that ends that game if you get wiped. I'm loving CHAOS, I should have no problems just launching waves of Chaos troops at the realms of man - not carefully ensuring I never get wiped.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

cheese posted:

Its my least favorite thing about Chaos. You are supposed to be an unstoppable horde of Chaos, not an elite special ops stack that ends that game if you get wiped. I'm loving CHAOS, I should have no problems just launching waves of Chaos troops at the realms of man - not carefully ensuring I never get wiped.

You get to that point eventually if you build things right.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

If anything it really should be switched so Chaos has no rivalry and Beastmen do. But really neither of them should have it. It's such a lovely garbage mechanic. Chaos as a faction has always been a favorite of mine and they're borderline unplayable in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

If anything it really should be switched so Chaos has no rivalry and Beastmen do. But really neither of them should have it. It's such a lovely garbage mechanic. Chaos as a faction has always been a favorite of mine and they're borderline unplayable in this game.

Seriously, rivalry is not a big deal, like at all.

• Locked thread