Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Metapod posted:

Switch usf with Cincy and it's perfect

No matter how many teams get invited, Cincy will be left outside. It is written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tulane, UConn, Cincinatti, and... gently caress I dunno, Memphis.

I want to close the state gap between WVU and the rest of the Big 12.

I really want the old Big 12 back or UT and OU to go to the SEC, but I guess this is the best thing we can get right now.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Thoguh posted:

No matter how many teams get invited, Cincy will be left outside. It is written.

But I want a super awesome basketball conference :smith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
BYU and UCONN as candidates makes me irrationally angry for some reason.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Thoguh posted:

BYU and UCONN as candidates makes me irrationally angry for some reason.

Because they're 2300 miles away from each other?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/camdbrock/status/755521748208979968

The wizard has spoken

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please, Lord. :pray:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bad news: one of them is Colorado.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Bad news: one of them is Colorado.

I'd take Colorado back.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
BXII trades WVU to SEC for Mizzou

Colorado has been dog poo poo since it moved to PAC. I doubt PAC let's them leave though since its one of the few non-CA big markets out west.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I actually didn't consider Colorado State, are they a possibility at all? They fit well enough geographically at least, although like others have said I'd imagine you'd prefer to fill in some space between the rest of the conference and WVU if you're thinking of location.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

kayakyakr posted:

I'd take Colorado back.

Same. I really want Nebraska and Mizzou back, but Nebraska stands to make a ton of money with that new TV deal, and from what I've heard Mizzou is a lot happier in the SEC.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

Grittybeard posted:

I actually didn't consider Colorado State, are they a possibility at all? They fit well enough geographically at least, although like others have said I'd imagine you'd prefer to fill in some space between the rest of the conference and WVU if you're thinking of location.

Colorado State & BYU would be a good travel pair and overlap with the PAC & 2 good markets.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I feel like because of our geographic location, the only possibility for SDSU is some kind of Pac 12 expansion and since I don't see that coming in the near future, we're pretty much out of luck.

Except for that one time where we joined the Big East for a week

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Why can't the MWC just be a Power 5?

Oh right, their markets don't have enough people. :(

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That was a bizarre and funny week

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BYU seems to be all-in on being an independent so I tend to doubt it's them, but stranger things have happened.

E: Jesus christ the front half of their schedule is murder this year :stare: and they're going to do a shitload of travelling. Maybe it is them.
E2: they do have that sweet ESPN deal though so who knows

DJExile fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 20, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

I'd take Colorado back.

on the scale of how much I'd be interested in members coming back I'd go Missouri > Nebraska >> Colorado >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Texas A&M.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Thoguh posted:

on the scale of how much I'd be interested in members coming back I'd go Missouri > Nebraska >> Colorado >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Texas A&M.

Texas A&M is at the top of my list, but they aren't coming back. For me it goes A&M-Nebraska-Mizzou-Colorado, in that order from most to least want.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Just cut that conference up for scrap already

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

DJExile posted:

BYU seems to be all-in on being an independent so I tend to doubt it's them, but stranger things have happened.

E: Jesus christ the front half of their schedule is murder this year :stare: and they're going to do a shitload of travelling. Maybe it is them.
E2: they do have that sweet ESPN deal though so who knows

ESPN pays them ~$6 million/year. They stand to double that in joining the Big XII if we offer them a half share.

The 10 existing big XII schools stand to each make $1 million more per year through offering incoming teams half-shares over the next 8 years of our contract. The incoming schools will take it because making ~$12 million per year is better than making $6 million for BYU or $3 million for the AAC.

Hell, we could probably offer CSU a quarter share and pull them from the MWC.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

kayakyakr posted:

Hell, we could probably offer CSU a quarter share and pull them from the MWC.

Or less. the MWC TV deal is absolute poo poo.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bowlsby apparently open to football-only members in the Big 12, per Twitter. Guess that means Boise State is on the table.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Bowlsby apparently open to football-only members in the Big 12, per Twitter. Guess that means Boise State is on the table.

I doubt it. The MWC won't let Boise's other sports stay in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't want to go all Big 10 here, but this forum has led me to believe that most of Boise State's students are studying TV/VCR Repair.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

I don't want to go all Big 10 here, but this forum has led me to believe that most of Boise State's students are studying TV/VCR Repair.

Vocational training was a big deal there until recently. I've hear Idaho fans call it Ada County Community College for this reason.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Bowlsby admitted that what they were previously looking for (schools who can bring more per-school value when the money is split 12/14 ways) is not available. They are now prioritizing schools who they perceive as having high upside, who can be competitive and grow.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

El Penis posted:

Tulane, UConn, Cincinatti, and... gently caress I dunno, Memphis.

gently caress it

:toxx:

If the Big 12 poaches four teams from the American Athletic Conference and none of them are Houston, I'll leave the CFB threads for good because I'll be done with college football.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 20, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

gently caress it

If the Big 12 poaches four teams from the American Athletic Conference and none of them are Houston, I'll leave the CFB threads for good because I'll be done with college football.

:( Stay Korranus!

It's OK, Big XII will poach 3 teams from the AAC and 1 from elsewhere and none of them will be Houston, but you can still stick around!

Houston's best chance is if more stuff comes out about Baylor, they get kicked out of the conference, and the Big XII says, OK Houston, you can come in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

Houston's best chance is if more stuff comes out about Baylor, they get kicked out of the conference, and the Big XII says, OK Houston, you can come in.

I mean, this has my vote to happen tomorrow.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Mine too... mine too.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

There is absolutely no way Baylor is getting kicked out of the Big 12 over, well, anything short of Baylor dropping athletics. I don't know how that meme got started. Baylor would tie up the decision in court for decades, not to mention doing so would create a precedent that would allow people that aren't academic power brokers to exert influence on academic departments.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
A team that got their program started about a decade too late: Georgia State. 32k students, downtown Atlanta. Heart of SEC territory.

Even if they had Georgia Southern's profile, they'd be almost too good to pass up.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Grittybeard posted:

I'd vote for it yesterday

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Why do you need Bears anymore when instead you could have a Bearcat? Right??? Guys?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't see how adding 2-4 programs that are going to be absolute dead weight adds either value or stability to the Big 12. They've already been cleared to hold a championship game, which is stupid but fine, they get another check to split 10 ways. Even if you jump to 12 or 14, a conference network is still going to be a non-starter as long as LHN is out there.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Korranus posted:

gently caress it

NO. We need good posters pls don't go :(

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dr_Strangelove posted:

NO. We need good posters pls don't go :(

They won't add Houston, but I'd also be stunned if they added four teams from the AAC. You'd be getting down to Tulsa/Tulane/UConn grade poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Devil's advocate here but I'd take UConn pretty easily to get their basketball teams in-conference.

E: poo poo, the women basically win the national championship almost by default these days, and Kansas/UConn a few times a year on the mens side would be rad as hell

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

I don't see how adding 2-4 programs that are going to be absolute dead weight adds either value or stability to the Big 12. They've already been cleared to hold a championship game, which is stupid but fine, they get another check to split 10 ways. Even if you jump to 12 or 14, a conference network is still going to be a non-starter as long as LHN is out there.

With the ACC's new deal and seemingly greater stability, it's either expand and try to stay alive or stay pat and know that if any of the 4 other major conferences wants to go to 16, you're going to be the conference that they target.

While the options out there aren't the most appealing, the thought has become that the Big XII can bring a team upward like the Big Ten is trying to do with Rutgers and Maryland. The pickings are slim, but there are a few teams that fit the mold. The good thing is that the Big XII is top-heavy with only ISU and Kansas being perennial cellar dwellers. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have a few new schools to beat up on.

I don't think that BYU gets invited except maaaaaybe in the football-only style. They have the highest profile of available teams, but lack upside. They have an audience of around 6 million people and that's it.

It's sounding like the Southeast is on the table in a strong way. That means that lower-end programs in Florida, Tennessee, and Louisiana have some shot at getting in. Kansas will be wielding all of the power and influence they have to get UConn into the conference. They want a basketball buddy. And WVU will have an outsized voice in all of this as well, as I think all schools are concerned with finding alternatives to geographically link with West Virginia.

• Locked thread