Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

go3 posted:

The Grand Canyon will definitely be getting a bad review

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

My thoughts exactly. And if you fall into the grand canyon that's kind of like natural selection

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Am I the only one that's amazed Yahoo! even still exists? They feel like a relic from a former era at this point.

They are, but that doesn't matter; Relics, by definition, have legacies, and legacies sell really well to the helplessly nostalgic and gullible.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

FoxStrats posted:

They are, but that doesn't matter; Relics, by definition, have legacies, and legacies sell really well to the helplessly nostalgic and gullible.

They're almost old enough for nostalgia to work in their favor. Yahoo could be the next hipster email of choice (because aol.com will never be cool).

As an aside Lycos is still alive too. Their headquarters has a big sign visible off 95 outside Boston.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

go3 posted:

The Grand Canyon will definitely be getting a bad review

That view tho

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Marenghi posted:

That view tho

Eh, it starts out good, but gets pretty bad really quickly.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
She wasn't a unicorn, but it was quite the fall.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

asdf32 posted:

As an aside Lycos is still alive too.

How?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Necromancy?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

asdf32 posted:

They're almost old enough for nostalgia to work in their favor. Yahoo could be the next hipster email of choice (because aol.com will never be cool).

As an aside Lycos is still alive too. Their headquarters has a big sign visible off 95 outside Boston.

I'm envisioning hipsters setting their text message sound to the 90s yahoo sound bite

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Some guy who washes cars probably bought the sign from a yard sale and figured he doesn't need to make his own now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Someone owns every old IP.

Just in case.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Another bad Yahoo quarter, another $482 of Tumblr value written off.. Marissa Mayer status: still employed. Yahoo status: still unsold.

For those of you playing along at home, Yahoo paid 1.1 billion for Tumblr; it currently values the property at $388 million.

While we're at it, another startup founded by teenagers goes boom.

quote:

FlightCar, a self-styled “Airbnb for cars,” abruptly shut down last week, selling its technology to Mercedes-Benz. The company said it would close all 12 of its airport “stations” — basically staffed parking lots — where people would drop off their personal cars for FlightCar to rent to others while the owner was traveling.

“We are excited to be part of Mercedes-Benz’s future shared mobility projects,” the company wrote in a farewell blog post. “We believe that people around the world can be more self-reliant by sharing their resources to improve society, and we truly appreciate the community that came together to share and rent each others’ unique cars.”

FlightCar’s flameout may represent a failure to master some basics, despite — or perhaps because of — some $40 million in venture-capital backing, observers said.

“To me, it’s an example of a young company that raises quite a bit of money and prioritizes growth before it’s hit product-market fit and figured out its unit economics,” said Patricia Nakache, a partner at Trinity Ventures, which invested in Turo (formerly RelayRides), another peer-to-peer car rental company. FlightCar’s model relied on valets at airports to handle car exchanges. “Playing an intermediary role is labor-intensive,” she said.
Unlike Turo and its rival Getaround, FlightCar’s pitch to car owners wasn’t about making money — it was about saving money by avoiding pricey airport parking. Customers who rented out their cars made a nominal 10 to 15 cents a mile to cover wear and tear; FlightCar also washed and waxed cars, and would even change the oil or take dirty clothes to the dry cleaner.

But FlightCar racked up negative reviews — it had just 2.5 stars (out of a potential 5) on Yelp, for instance. Company officials admitted that it sometimes fell short on execution.

“It became more and more clear that while customers really believed in the FlightCar model, that we were not consistently delivering on experience and our overall promises to customers,” said CEO Rujul Zaparde, who co-founded the company four years ago with two fellow teenagers instead of going to college. “One customer said: ‘FlightCar, you make it hard for me to like you.’”

FlightCar also racked up negative reviews on the workplace review website Glassdoor, where it had 1.5 (out of 5) stars, with many employees complaining about Zaparde’s management style and lack of experience. Zaparde had never held a full-time job when FlightCar was accepted into the prestigious Y Combinator incubator. It soon attracted high-profile investors such as Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky, Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin and actor/investor Ashton Kutcher. Venture backers included GGV Capital, First Round Capital, General Catalyst Partners, Comcast Ventures, SoftBank Capital and the Priceline Group.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 19, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Another bad Yahoo quarter, another $482 of Tumblr value written off.. Marissa Mayer status: still employed. Yahoo status: still unsold.

For those of you playing along at home, Yahoo paid 1.1 billion for Tumblr; it currently values the property at $388 million.

While we're at it, another startup founded by teenagers goes boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcSujceZDmg

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

I like how the first complaint (in your quote at least) is from a venture capitalist bemoaning that the company actually paid people to do things. What a quaint notion.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

MickeyFinn posted:

I like how the first complaint (in your quote at least) is from a venture capitalist bemoaning that the company actually paid people to do things. What a quaint notion.
Excellent point. I'm still reeling at the idea that lending your car to strangers to save parking fees is a good business model. Yes, I want to assume the risk of having my car damaged, stolen, towed, ... to avoid paying $16/day. (San Francisco, rates may vary...)

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
To be fair, the model they were trying for did make valets redundant. Just buy/build a parking garage near to the airport and have people drop their cars off there. You're already accepting the risk of having a stranger drive your car, why do you need a professional to take it from you when you arrive?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Keeshhound posted:

To be fair, the model they were trying for did make valets redundant. Just buy/build a parking garage near to the airport and have people drop their cars off there. You're already accepting the risk of having a stranger drive your car, why do you need a professional to take it from you when you arrive?
Buying or building a parking garage near the airport would be a serious investment in physical capitol. That is the antithesis of the tech/disruption movement, which seeks to basically just facilitate transactions and take a 20% cut. And if you are going to do that, why not just charge people X bucks to keep their car there. Then you can avoid all of the bullshit with having random people drive your cars, especially when the "pay" is 10-15 cents a mile which is like a quarter of the Federally mandated ~52 cents a mile. And then when you process all of that, you realize this was a somewhat dumb idea for a business that somehow got 40 million dollars in VC funding.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
http://www.hubspot.com/jobs/apply-via-snapchat

quote:

Apply to HubSpot via Snapchat on Wednesday, July 20th
This spring, two exciting developments happened here at HubSpot: we killed the cover letter, and we launched our very own Snapchat channel.

Now, we’re combining them: Recruiting meet Snapchat.

On July 20th, you can apply to be a Support Engineer at HubSpot exclusively through Snapchat. In lieu of a resume or cover letter, we are asking applicants to complete one simple task: Teach us something in 60 seconds or less. It can be anything. Literally anything. We just want to see the authentic you.

Check out the instructions below to find out how! There's only 60 seconds standing between you and your next job.

can't decide between
:jerkbag: and :negative:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

cheese posted:

Buying or building a parking garage near the airport would be a serious investment in physical capitol.

Yeah, I phrased that poorly. I was trying to say something like "use the airport's existing parking, but try to match people who'll be arriving and leaving that airport so that the vehicle spends as little time as possible sitting in the lot." Still a stupid idea with a ton of risks, but doesn't require a valet.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Translation: We arn't really hiring anyone, but please use Snapchat and be involved with Hubspot!

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, I phrased that poorly. I was trying to say something like "use the airport's existing parking, but try to match people who'll be arriving and leaving that airport so that the vehicle spends as little time as possible sitting in the lot." Still a stupid idea with a ton of risks, but doesn't require a valet.
Still can't imagine why anyone would want to use this service. I save ~15 bucks a day and get a nominal mileage reimbursement in exchange for some unknown number of strangers driving my personal car? What is the recourse if some fucker smokes weed in my car? If they steal something from my trunk? If they do donuts in a parking lot and burn my tire tread away? Insane. The reason I pay for airport parking is so that when I return to my car, its safe and exactly how I left it.

cheese fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 19, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It would make more sense to have a service that connects people who are going to the airport to drop off or pick up someone already, with people who live nearby and would pay a nominal fee for the other side of the trip.

The logistics are nightmarish and I don't think it would be particularly reliable, but it's still a way better idea.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Reminder that Hubspot is the company Dan Lyons' recent book was about

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

cheese posted:

Translation: We arn't really hiring anyone, but please use Snapchat and be involved with Hubspot!

you make a good point that I was blinded to by my distaste for snapchat.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Gail Wynand posted:

Reminder that Hubspot is the company Dan Lyons' recent book was about

This was a great book, btw. Everyone that enjoys this thread would like that book.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Day Man posted:

This was a great book, btw. Everyone that enjoys this thread would like that book.

This is 100% true - anyone with an ounce of startup schadenfreude will love it

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

bacon! posted:

This is 100% true - anyone with an ounce of startup schadenfreude will love it

more like startenfreude

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Unilever has bought US start-up Dollar Shave Club for a reported $1bn (£764m) in cash to compete in the male grooming market. (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36791928)

Negative profit and only $150m annual revenue with a pending lawsuit from Gillette? Sure, why not.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
In cash.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I always wondered how they can really deliver shaving supplies that cheaply.

If men are really interested in getting a good shave really cheap, they'll just get into wet shaving and buy the same, very affordable products over and over again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Halloween Jack posted:

I always wondered how they can really deliver shaving supplies that cheaply.

If men are really interested in getting a good shave really cheap, they'll just get into wet shaving and buy the same, very affordable products over and over again.

They probably can't, which is why they're losing money like most other idiotic startups. By the way, are they the assholes from all the annoying podcast ads? I hope the fat stack of Unilever cash will get them to move them to Superbowl or somewhere else where I don't have to hear or see them.

It's probably not literal cash, just actual money as opposed to stock. Though I do wish all corporate acquisitions were done by delivering huge pallets of Benjamins :allears:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

It's probably not literal cash, just actual money as opposed to stock. Though I do wish all corporate acquisitions were done by delivering huge pallets of Benjamins :allears:

Would make acquisitions great set-pieces for heist movies.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Halloween Jack posted:

Some startup will notice this and start a company around it, getting attention from the public, the media, and larger corporations, and thereby driving up prices and completely ruining it all.

Capitalism ruins a lot of things, come to think of it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

They probably can't, which is why they're losing money like most other idiotic startups. By the way, are they the assholes from all the annoying podcast ads? I hope the fat stack of Unilever cash will get them to move them to Superbowl or somewhere else where I don't have to hear or see them.

It's a combination of other options being wildly overpriced and hoping that people forget to cancel their subscription.

It might be them on the podcast ads or it could be Harry's razors (they liked it so much they bought the factory, don't'cha'know). I've tried both and Harry's is actually pretty great because you just order however many blades you want and there's no subscription element to it. The Dollar Shave Club razor sucks in comparison as well. Anyhoo.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

A client of mine just paid $50 million* in hand money for a building they wanted to buy. The delivered it to the rooftop of the firm they were buying it from via drone.

* check

I guess when we have larger commercial drones and more dick measuring, some big hiests could happen.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

JohnGalt posted:

A client of mine just paid $50 million* in hand money for a building they wanted to buy. The delivered it to the rooftop of the firm they were buying it from via drone.

* check

I guess when we have larger commercial drones and more dick measuring, some big hiests could happen.
Are you working for Dahir Insaat?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MiddleOne posted:

"Chief, if we don't get to Nakatomi Plaza now, unemployed millennials won't be able to connect with busy executives who need urban chicken coop cleaning solutions!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

JohnGalt posted:

* check

Ooh, I like "hand money" as a back-formation.

e: I just looked up "wet shaving". This para is from the first page of the first hit.

quote:

Sure you can add 5 blades and have it sing to you, but it’s just not necessary. We recommend a straight razor, which is the kind that looks super scary and intimidating.

Yep, the kind you have to whip out of a leather strop without scaring away your female company. But I swear on a 20 year single-malt, guys that do it this way seriously love shaving, and chances are, you will too.
Yes, my labia are trembling in fear. Or hilarity, it's hard to tell from up here.
N.b. I bought my husband a straight razor in the 1980s. We now use it as a bread lame.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Client of mine had a sale postponed for a day when the courier dropped the envelope containing the check for $25m and it fell into the gap between the elevator shaft and the car. Talk about awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Anything involving shaving is hilariously gendered. It is either motifs of burly lumberjack men punching bears with one hand while the other shaves much to the delight of the women lined up to caress their face, or a blissed out woman in a floral lined spa with mermaids bringing her dark chocolate while a baby deer holds her towel.

That said I'd love to see a commercial based on the joy of getting into a bed with freshly washed sheets after shaving your legs. Goddamn is that the best feeling ever.