Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
I have completed the following:

• Pack stuff in car
  • Hope for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

I would like to remind everyone that in addition to following the twitter & instagram accounts of the rally itself, you'll get more content if you just search for posts tagged with #tm2twrally.

Gave in and made a twitter account just for this. I may be a little excited for you all.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
ITS HAPPENING

CHECK THE SOCIAL MEDIAS

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
We wired something successfully! (Sort of.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks to team Cool Ranch for wiring the CB into the celica.

Things look good as we settle into bed here after tech day. All teams arrived safely at my place and started into the work at hand. Cars are 95% packed and we feel optimistic, or at least I do.

Sweet Chili Heat sheared off a brake bleeder but we perservered, and a quick run into the ghetto netted a replacement. The sheared bleeder had to be drilled and re tapped, that was a bit of a nail biter, but it worked and seems to be holding pressure.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 17, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I guess I should post some pictures while it's still easy.

Celica got some new lights today.

Wiring was easy, but mounting them was not. We took off the old DRLs / foglights and used a hole in the bumper crash structure, I had to pull some serious contortionist poo poo to get my hand in there to hold the bolt while SSSwitch wrenched them into place.

Aimed, more or less.

McTinkerson brought down the bad-rear end livery, and placed it.

We put Sweet Chili Heat on the lift for some last minute stuff, checking fluids and such. We had all three team cars in the shop, there was plenty left to do, but Cool Ranch needed the least attention.

Here's the sheared brake bleeder bolt, this was fixed through pure manliness.

And then we offered a burnt sacrifice to our cars in hope of a fun (safe?) journey and to appease the howling banshee machine spirits that dwell within our chariots.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 17, 2016

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Update for those not on the social medias. We've departed Slung Blades house and just fueled up in Longview. We're now on our way to the Rockies / Crowsnest Pass. All vehicles and drivers are 100%.

Both 7's are slow as balls and our car in particular still scrapes occasionally on the edges of the fender flares but, eh :effort:

As promised, we're also decked out in our Asahi merch. Hats, shirts & shades.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the destination for today?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

What's the destination for today?

As per Google maps, we're 6.5 hours away from Nakusp. So that's the goal. Whether or not we'll attain that goal is another thing entirely.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
rad.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So which car has been the Ford Capri of the group so far?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Day 1 is over! All cars survived the trip, and we've arrived in our (modified) destination of Nelson, BC! We were welcomed by the customary cloud of weed smoke and roving bands of hippies.

The day was mostly uneventful.

1500quidporsche posted:

So which car has been the Ford Capri of the group so far?

Cool Ranch decided to try some freestyle arc welding while coasting downhill at 80km/hr behind a semi, so we had to take a little timeout. I'd say it wins the prize today.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

After some technical difficulties with cool ranch, we have stopped in Nelson for the night.

Good day for the hellica, minor heating issue heading over Kootenay pass, but nothing serious.

Team members have hiked into town for supplies (beer and ice), going to make boiled smokies and hot dogs since open fires are not allowed. Still, not a bad spot for a city campground.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Exhaust headers will put a lovely char on a sausage...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Exhaust headers will put a lovely char on a sausage...

And kicked out of the campground. :v:

There's already enough heat on us from when we pulled in.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Day 2 starting up - leaving Vernon and driving through mountains all day. Hoping to hit the Whistler area tonight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Vernon already from the night in Nelson? Wowza

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

He meant leaving for Vernon. We just got here, having a quick meal/cool down.

We'll be heading to Merritt shortly.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

We've made it to Merritt, BC. There was a little hiccup with the Hellica in Kelowna, BC. I'll let SSW and Slung Blade elaborate.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Turns out the fuel filter was probably original to the car. And clogged.

After surging, sputtering, stalling, and being completely gutless all the way from Vernon to Kelowna, it finally got so bad we pulled over into some back parking lot and tore the engine bay apart. We were able to get a replacement, and the stubby wrench we needed to remove and replace the hard line thanks to everyone else in the convoy. The filter was underneath the charcoal canister, which is under the air intake box. So that all had to come out too.

It took time, about 2.5 hours all told with the gutless stretch, so we stopped in Merritt, short of our original goal for the day, but that comes with the territory on events like this, totally makes things more interesting.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So outta curiosity, is ssw sitting next to you in the hellica feverishly hammering out tumbler stories, or is he updating from some he has stashed away?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

So outta curiosity, is ssw sitting next to you in the hellica feverishly hammering out tumbler stories, or is he updating from some he has stashed away?

It's coming from the queue. Before I go anywhere I always pre-write the entries which means for about a week prior I need to surround myself with shitboxes and pray to the East for inspiration.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I thoroughly expected hellica to be mechanically the soundest. Color me surprised. Also surprised you didn't do the fuel filter in the first place. :colbert:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Looks like there's been a slight hiccup in road position, by social media postings

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Turns out that Sweet Chili Heat hungers for road signs as well as premix and bleeder screws.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drat, how many points is that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Roh oh

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Anybody have a full front suspension for a first gen rx-7 that they've been wanting to deliver to Pemberton, BC?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh poo poo. Well sounds like points!
Didn't one of you guys have a full parts car?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Find some leaf springs and a front diff out of an old ranger, looks like she's goin home a gasser.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
More like sweet understeer heat.

Like drake said we need:
- control arms
- drag link
- idler & pitman arms

For a first gen RX7

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might be able to find one here

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/vancouver/1980-mazda-rx7-series1-for-restoration/1167957479?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

looks like it's bolted to a bunch of other poo poo though.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

poo poo, that's a raw deal guys.

The candle blowing out early really was a bad omen :stare:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sorry for the short post, I'll need a bunch of booze before I get into any detail.

There is a first gen at Bucks Auto in Sherwood park. To the best of my knowledge it has everything I need. Can anyone get there tomorrow and pull poo poo. It's 7 bolts.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Talking to this guy. what's a good price for that poo poo?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Tommychu posted:

Talking to this guy. what's a good price for that poo poo?

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for everything. Like the whole lower subframe with LCA's and the idler arm.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Holy poo poo that sucks. Hopefully you can somehow limp it home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh geez guys that's awful. Glad nobody got hurt in the sign incident.

This is sitting in Brooks
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1984-mazda-rx7/1176297710?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
not sure how it can help though. I'm tied up with work now until the weekend.

:siren: Team Cool Ranch, don't leave your car unguarded. :siren:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for everything. Like the whole lower subframe with LCA's and the idler arm.

Do you need the full k-member? Cause that won't fit in my car, and my truck is far too sketchy for a trip like that.
I'm meeting the guy with the red car late tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Guys this is in Kamloops
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...gationFlag=true

• Locked thread