Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I never got all the goon love for Duet. Its a good ep and Marritza loving nails it, but its super Kira heavy and early DS9 Kira is loving unwatchable

Tighclops posted:

The bajorans were more often than not unsympathetic and irritating as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The bajorans are the best argument against cultural relativism

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mondian posted:

I never got all the goon love for Duet. Its a good ep and Marritza loving nails it, but its super Kira heavy and early DS9 Kira is loving unwatchable

It emphasized the Dukat did nothing wrong.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Tectonis posted:

How could you not like Far Beyond the Stars it's probably the best example of science fiction or at least quality Star Trek that exists IMO.

It explores ethical considerations through the lens of science fiction which is what Star Trek is about at its best for me, a la Measure of a Man.

I had really not been looking forward to that episode, because I just want some space shoot-em-up stuff most of the time. However, by the end I thought it was up there with Inner Light as one of the best storytelling episodes of Trek, or any show really.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I would like to point out that I never found Kira irritating, just all the other ones like that one loving guy that wouldn't get off the moon so they could use it for some sort of much needed power production project even though they were going to set him up in some other equally awesome local with the Federation's post scarcity help and whatnot

I think at some point the writers realized this because they made that episode where that even more irritating alien race of refugees comes through the wormhole looking to settle on Bajor but the Bajorans tell them to get lost because they were in the middle of a famine and the aliens were gross and shedding everywhere and then it turns out the aliens are super awesome farmers and the Bajorans own shittiness hosed them in the end

And lol the Maquis. I mean I get not wanting to leave your home and the emotional toll that takes but when your options are either stay and live under the boot of an oppressive alien fascist government or be moved with your community and family with all your stuff to another idyllic class M world of your choice for no cost, what kind of rear end in a top hat decides to stay and pick up a phaser and risk the death and destruction of everyone and everything you hold dear just to stick it to those cardie spoonheads?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Mondian posted:

Yeah, it's a good episode and all, but when I was doing my first watch of DS9 everyone in TVIV was talking it up and it didn't meet expectations. It's solid, no doubt, but the "twist" could be seen coming a mile away.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
If I'm picking a Kira episode I'll take the one where she's hunting down the person who's killing all her old resistance buds. Star Trek doesn't get creepy often.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
The maqui thing is more hilarious because they've only been there for like two generations or something.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I would like to point out that I never found Kira irritating, just all the other ones like that one loving guy that wouldn't get off the moon so they could use it for some sort of much needed power production project even though they were going to set him up in some other equally awesome local with the Federation's post scarcity help and whatnot

I think at some point the writers realized this because they made that episode where that even more irritating alien race of refugees comes through the wormhole looking to settle on Bajor but the Bajorans tell them to get lost because they were in the middle of a famine and the aliens were gross and shedding everywhere and then it turns out the aliens are super awesome farmers and the Bajorans own shittiness hosed them in the end

And lol the Maquis. I mean I get not wanting to leave your home and the emotional toll that takes but when your options are either stay and live under the boot of an oppressive alien fascist government or be moved with your community and family with all your stuff to another idyllic class M world of your choice for no cost, what kind of rear end in a top hat decides to stay and pick up a phaser and risk the death and destruction of everyone and everything you hold dear just to stick it to those cardie spoonheads?

TNG had an episode with space Native Americans. Picard gave them the same sales pitch and they said, "Nah, this place speaks to us on a spiritual level, it's not a piece of real estate."

That's the episode where Wesley told Picard and the Federation to shove it. It's refreshing to see Picard on the wrong end of moral indignation.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 22, 2022

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

criscodisco posted:

I had really not been looking forward to that episode, because I just want some space shoot-em-up stuff most of the time. However, by the end I thought it was up there with Inner Light as one of the best storytelling episodes of Trek, or any show really.

I think the episode was a big gamble, but it gets so much of what makes Trek good to me right. The actors are allowed to chew the scenery constantly as these larger than life, but still believable, characters. Sure the message about being the change you want to see in "You are the dream and the dreamer" is a little ham-fisted, but Trek has never been subtle about its moralizing. And they pull no punches in the episode, the women are treated like second-class citizens and write under pseudonyms, Jake gets killed/Benny gets beaten when he complains about the injustice of the police doing essentially nothing about it and Worf is 'one of the good ones'. For me it really forces you to look at the racism and sexism of the era and it never let's up through the whole thing.

I could gush all day about Far Beyond the Stars though...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Colonel Kira has a footlong rear end in baseball pants.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've always wondered how great it would feel to know that you've got the longest buttcrack in the room.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

shadow puppet of a posted:

Part of Roddenberry's Vision so that those massive Ferengi dongers would have an rear end they could hot dog.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

TNG had an episode with space Native Americans. Picard gave them the same sales pitch and they said, "Nah, this place speaks to us on a spiritual level, it's not a piece of real estate."

That's the episode where Wesley told Picard and the Federation to go gently caress themselves. It's refreshing to see Picard on the wrong end of moral indignation.

That's the same episode where the Native Leader dude tries to guilt trip Picard for something one of his ancient ancestors did on Earth, right? I get the point of the episode but it really wasn't one of Trek's stronger morality plays.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never understand why people hate flawed characters or flawed cultures/races. The focus on Bajor is great because it explores all the hosed up baggage that comes from a brutal occupation. When the oppressors go away it isn't suddenly all roses, quite often the formerly oppressed turn on each other, or extreme nationalism or religion flourishes. Kira was a god drat brutal terrorist freedom fighter, it's nice to have characters with some meat and some flaws, not just another white bread perfect federation human. By having the show set in one place we get to actually flesh out and explore the bajorans and cardies and I'd much rather have 100 episodes that build up a few races than 100 episodes each with a a monster/alien race of the week that never gets time to explore fully so they're reduced to one or two traits and that's that.

Then again Voyager tried to do that with those filthy space raiders and they remained cardboard cutouts so flat not even the borg wanted them.

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Sleeve is awful, having to look down before you bellow at what you hope is an ensign. Pips should be a thing out in the real world right now. Like so you can know who is the head barista or if you are speaking to someone who was a valedictorian or instead a mere salutatorian.

ACRE & EQUAT fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 20, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tighclops posted:

That's the same episode where the Native Leader dude tries to guilt trip Picard for something one of his ancient ancestors did on Earth, right? I get the point of the episode but it really wasn't one of Trek's stronger morality plays.

After WW3 the UN decreed that no one would be held accountable to past civilizations war crimes. Apparently, there's no statute of limitations for guilt trips.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

DS9: s4/ep12 Crossfire

Odo gets friend zoned. Kira is oblivious. Quark wears a onesie to bed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tectonis posted:

How could you not like Far Beyond the Stars it's probably the best example of science fiction or at least quality Star Trek that exists IMO.

It explores ethical considerations through the lens of science fiction which is what Star Trek is about at its best for me, a la Measure of a Man.

A common complaint from rabid treknoturds is that they hate how the ending implies that Benny might be the "real" world and all of Star Trek is his dream/writings. Which :laffo: at the irony of hating it for such a dumb reason.

I personally think it's easily in the top 5 for the entire franchise, maybe even the absolute best, and it really shows off what a powerful performance Avery Brooks can give.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Also, I want to reach back in time and grab Leslie Nielsen circa 1989, bring him to our time, and cast him as Gene Roddenberry in a no holds barred, assume all stories are true and Gene is nuts biopic about the last 15 years of his life.

I want to see Leslie Nielsen balls-deep in an intern, ranting about ferengi dicks, and smashing his whole face into a pile of coke on the desk.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Rich Sommer of Mad Men could do an excellent Young Gene if you need to flashback to his formative, ugly first encounters with the invisible hand of capitalism.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are there any places I can read good gene stories?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nevermind

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 22, 2022

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Which is ironic really because that's always been the best thing about SciFi - when it relates back to us or the conditions we live in. imo I guess.

e: also Sisko is awesome.

Agreed on both.Also the whole thing with Benny I find funny is that it really is not that different from the whole controversy over the Judgement Day comic from EC comics.

Which involved the comic authority angry that a blackman was shown as a astronaut and was calling out racism. Also I love that episode as its a love letter to sci fi authors.

http://kb-outofthisworld.blogspot.com/2010/02/anti-racism-in-1950s-comics-weird.html

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 20, 2016

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A common complaint from rabid treknoturds is that they hate how the ending implies that Benny might be the "real" world and all of Star Trek is his dream/writings. Which :laffo: at the irony of hating it for such a dumb reason.

I personally think it's easily in the top 5 for the entire franchise, maybe even the absolute best, and it really shows off what a powerful performance Avery Brooks can give.

My only two problems with that episode is that Jake's actor was not at all convincing as his 1950s persona, and Benny's meltdown at the end was a bit overboard, but all and all I think it was up there with the Visitor or In the Pale Moonlight for DS9 episodes.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Gorelab posted:

My only two problems with that episode is that Jake's actor was not at all convincing as his 1950s persona, and Benny's meltdown at the end was a bit overboard, but all and all I think it was up there with the Visitor or In the Pale Moonlight for DS9 episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

I think the Benny stuff is cool but it's kind of boring, because it's not about the characters I am invested in and there ain't any action and it never really pays off. But it's a nice mood break, it's super neat how it pays homage to scifi's roots and it's way better than the Janeway's ancestor bookshop episode

I think what's jarring about it is it's not usually how Star Trek tackles racism. Normally it's like, we're great as humans but look at these assholes aliens being racist, sure wouldn't want to be like them. Or, here's a thing that isn't human that we are prejudiced against but we learn to embrace differences and accept sentience wherever we find it

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Bookshop episode is unrealistic because it wasn't immediately eminent domained to make room for Delta City/Freedom Tower.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Thank god but I'm on the last season.

I'm watching the one where the doctor gets downloaded to 7 of 9's face. And then that dude gets attracted to the doctor but in 7's body. So I guess that space captain is gay for holograms.

The whole episode is quite confusing.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Jeri Ryan does a good Doctor. Maybe a little more feminine than Genuine Picardo, but still good.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Volcott posted:

Jeri Ryan does a good Doctor. Maybe a little more feminine than Genuine Picardo, but still good.

Agreed.

Also in the end: everyone learns a valuable lesson about photonics

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

While the first season of DS9 has some meh episodes, over the entire course of the show I really hated anything about Bajoran religion or politics. I'm glad Dukat tea bagged every man and woman on Bajor.

Still would bang then high five Dukat afterwards.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 20, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

chaosbreather posted:

I think the Benny stuff is cool but it's kind of boring, because it's not about the characters I am invested in and there ain't any action and it never really pays off. But it's a nice mood break, it's super neat how it pays homage to scifi's roots and it's way better than the Janeway's ancestor bookshop episode
It does lead in to the false visions at the beginning of season 7, but I'd probably have preferred Far Beyond the Stars to have been a series of visions Sisko had throughout season 6.

And was Cirroc Lofton ever particularly convincing?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Sunswipe posted:

It does lead in to the false visions at the beginning of season 7, but I'd probably have preferred Far Beyond the Stars to have been a series of visions Sisko had throughout season 6.

And was Cirroc Lofton ever particularly convincing?

Cirroc Lofton never showed great screen acting chops on DS9, and Jake barely existed except as an accessory to round out his father's character. I'm still glad the character was there, though, for two reasons: One, he was a good accessory. Sisko-as-father was always some good Sisko. The family stuff rounded out the captain wonderfully, and it was good to have a Black father on television who was "obviously Black", in that he dealt with and cared about issues facing real-world Black people. He talked openly about racism—real racism!—and celebrated his Black African heritage without that being his only interest, like a character had wandered in from a Very Special Episode of something. That was weirdly unusual in the '80s and '90s, especially outside of specifically Black-targeted shows. He also had roots in a specific African-American experience/identity, being from New Orleans, which owns. And, again, he was a loving, involved father. That's still not an easy Black character to find on television, which is god damned crazy.

The second reason I'm happy that Jake's there all seven seasons is that Avery Brooks apparently wanted to make sure the closeness between Ben and Jake felt honest on-screen, and so invited Lofton into his life and family. I heard the two got really close, and I love heartwarming backstage poo poo like that. :3:

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
https://youtu.be/k2Qmegzu1Vk

I don't know why these entertain me so much, but this one was amazing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Squizzle posted:

Cirroc Lofton never showed great screen acting chops on DS9, and Jake barely existed except as an accessory to round out his father's character. I'm still glad the character was there, though, for two reasons: One, he was a good accessory. Sisko-as-father was always some good Sisko. The family stuff rounded out the captain wonderfully, and it was good to have a Black father on television who was "obviously Black", in that he dealt with and cared about issues facing real-world Black people. He talked openly about racism—real racism!—and celebrated his Black African heritage without that being his only interest, like a character had wandered in from a Very Special Episode of something. That was weirdly unusual in the '80s and '90s, especially outside of specifically Black-targeted shows. He also had roots in a specific African-American experience/identity, being from New Orleans, which owns. And, again, he was a loving, involved father. That's still not an easy Black character to find on television, which is god damned crazy.

The second reason I'm happy that Jake's there all seven seasons is that Avery Brooks apparently wanted to make sure the closeness between Ben and Jake felt honest on-screen, and so invited Lofton into his life and family. I heard the two got really close, and I love heartwarming backstage poo poo like that. :3:

Jake wasn't just there to round out his father's character, he was also there as an accessory to round out the character who had the most growth and development of anyone on the show, Nog.

That red squad episode is awesome.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always liked that Dukat banged Kira's mom and then was obv wanting to bang Kira as well lol.

Tectonis posted:

I completely agree.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 20, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Contemporary political issues and social commentary in MY scify?! Get this poo poo out trek!!!
This is why the new movies are awesome, they aren't trying to "say" anything or make me think about anything.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There are people who literally would like just the battle scenes from Battlestar Galactica interspersed with ads for energy drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's fun to turn the brain off sometimes and watch some action ofc but I dunno why people have to get all or nothing about it.