Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xinder posted:

Wanna guess what speech bubble got edited out in that bottom middle panel there?

This will never not be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

McDuffie was a treasure.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

This will never not be amazing.

It's based on an actual pitch.

Wikipedia posted:

The original candidate for DC Comics' first headlining black superhero was a character called the Black Bomber, a white racist who would turn into a black superhero under stress, and be later described by comics historian Don Markstein as "an insult to practically everybody with any point of view at all." When the editor who had approved the Black Bomber left the company before the character had seen print, Tony Isabella (whose previous writing experience included Luke Cage, Marvel Comics' first black superhero with his own title) was asked to salvage the character. Isabella managed to convince editors of his Black Lightning character which he had been working on for some time, mentioning that his characters along the way were merely stepping stones.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Xinder posted:

Wanna guess what speech bubble got edited out in that bottom middle panel there?

I wasn't expecting art to be posted when I asked that question

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

WickedHate posted:

It's based on an actual pitch.

"an insult to practically everybody with any point of view at all."

This alone cracks me up every time I read it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't have PMs and XO doesn't have an email listed in the rules, so: I just realized I posted in the Marvel chat again awhile ago and I apologize.

If I get banned and anyone wants to contact me, here's my Steam.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 20, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

See you in a couple of days.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If there was a thread I was not allowed to post in I don't think I'd keep it bookmarked

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The trick is being equally awful in every thread so that you just get banned instead of forbidden from particular threads.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've been doing great recently and object to the straw grasping for no reason whatsoever, but twas my mistake regardless and I can only hope for forgiveness.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WickedHate posted:

I can only hope for forgiveness.

Just don't take it as tacit permission that it's been lifted.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

X-O posted:

I still don't fully get it, but from now on I'll just unbookmark the thread and check it more irregularly.

Keeping up with what's going on in pop culture I like is like, 40% of why I have an account at all. Relying on news sites and the feedback in their comments is lame.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

...and it's said that X-O's heart grew three sizes that day.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
X-O has always been relatively to me, and I am thankful for that. I am a good girl. :angel:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Adam Hugh's Betty & Veronica #1 has 25 goddamned covers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

WickedHate should have to read Umbrella Academy or Way's issue of Edge of Spider Verse for doubting that he'll write a good Doom Patrol.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Adam Hugh's Betty & Veronica #1 has 25 goddamned covers.

Well that's one way to fight bankruptcy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

WickedHate should have to read Umbrella Academy or Way's issue of Edge of Spider Verse for doubting that he'll write a good Doom Patrol.

On that topic we decided to go loving bonkers on the orders for those books since REBIRTH is selling so well and all the Hanna Barbera books are selling out left and right.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

I wasn't doubting Way, just saying that I was a semi-fan of Bemis' and finding out he did a bunch of comics I didn't like kind of sours it, while since I'm not a fan of Way's music the quality of Way's comics won't matter beyond the comics.

I haven't read Umbrella Acadamy, but I read every Edge of Spider-Verse and don't remember which was his.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm beyond excited for the new Doom Patrol series. Grant Morrison's run is one of my favorite comics of all time, and if the new series is bad I might just be sad about it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Do yall think I should read Morrison's Doom Patrol to prep for the upcoming one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New issue Superman is awesome if you don't like it I don't like your face.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

Do yall think I should read Morrison's Doom Patrol to prep for the upcoming one?

The new series is probably going to be heavily influenced by it, so it's probably a good idea.

You'll probably dig it if you're into surreal stuff in general.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

The new series is probably going to be heavily influenced by it, so it's probably a good idea.

You'll probably dig it if you're into surreal stuff in general.

From what I've heard of it, I've been afraid of it being peak Morrison in the worst ways. Now, I respect Grant, but there's only so much weird meta I can take before overdosing and the whole thing becomes tedious & pretentious, dig?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Morrison's Doom Patrol is an interesting beast. I feel like it was extremely ahead of its time when it came out, but looking back on it in 2016 there are a few things in there that haven't aged as well. The depiction of mental illness is best summed up by the fact that there is a character called Crazy Jane. There is also the character of Rebis whoI have a hard time summing up, but feels like Grant trying to wrap his head around writing a trans/genderqueer character that doesn't really work.

Now after saying that, I still think that the overall product is very very good. If you can stomach Morrison at full blast dadaism then you will enjoy Doom Patrol. The imagery and characters alone makes it all worth it. The new Doom Patrol might return to things like Danny the Street, Flex Mentallo, Mr. Nobody, or (I'm hoping) the Men From N.O.W.H.E.R.E. So I say give it a read.

It also has one of my favorite DC characters

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

From what I've heard of it, I've been afraid of it being peak Morrison in the worst ways. Now, I respect Grant, but there's only so much weird meta I can take before overdosing and the whole thing becomes tedious & pretentious, dig?

I didn't really have a problem with it being too meta, but I love stuff that gets really meta, and the bizarre-ness of the series made it work really well for me.

I also tend to find calling something "pretentious" to be a really vapid criticism, and I don't think I'd apply it to Morrison's run on Doom Patrol even if I didn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I for one can't wait to hear John Byrne talk poo poo about this new version of the DP like he has pretty much every incarnation of the team.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

On that topic we decided to go loving bonkers on the orders for those books since REBIRTH is selling so well and all the Hanna Barbera books are selling out left and right.

Put some Jack Skellington plushies and other assorted Hot Topicish stuff in your window displays with big block letting "MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE'S GERARD WAY WROTE SOME COMICS BUY THEM HERE" and you'll be golden.

Rhyno posted:

New issue Superman is awesome if you don't like it I don't like your face.

I'm loving this every other week thing so much.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jul 20, 2016

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Morrison's Doom Patrol is very very earnest about its weirdness. I wouldn't really call it pretentious. There are times where it gets a bit meta with comic book history with the Jack Kirby style Trenchcoat Brigade issues. But besides that, it is mostly surrealism, weirdness, and existential horror. If you dislike meta, then stay completely away from the Flex Mentallo spinoff.

I can't find a bigger picture of this but I love Jack Kirby style John Constantine.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, I've seen that bit and knew it was from Doom Patrol and it always cracks me up. I would actually read issues of just that.

Rhyno posted:

I for one can't wait to hear John Byrne talk poo poo about this new version of the DP like he has pretty much every incarnation of the team.

What hasn't John Byrne talked poo poo about? Dude is such an rear end in a top hat.

Roth posted:

I didn't really have a problem with it being too meta, but I love stuff that gets really meta, and the bizarre-ness of the series made it work really well for me.

I also tend to find calling something "pretentious" to be a really vapid criticism, and I don't think I'd apply it to Morrison's run on Doom Patrol even if I didn't.

Yeah, that's fair. I've liked a lot of Morrison, I just don't want Doom Patrol to be the anvil that broke the camel's back, you know? Because it's reputation as surreal even by Morrison's usual standards is daunting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Put some Jack Skellington plushies and other assorted Hot Topicish stuff in your window displays with big block letting "MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE'S GERARD WAY WROTE SOME COMICS BUY THEM HERE" and you'll be golden.

I'm loving this every other week thing so much.

We already carry that poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The surrealness of Morrison's Doom Patrol is just fun and silly a lot of the time. Don't worry about that.

Rhyno posted:

We already carry that poo poo.

Have you got big sparkly Way headshots to put in the windows?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I know someone into My Chemical Romance enough that they call Gerard Way daddy, so I've been using this as an excuse to try and get them into comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Have you got big sparkly Way headshots to put in the windows?

I'll get right on that.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Rhyno posted:

His Doom Patrol was Goddawful so it's not like anyone can trust what he has to say on the subject. He's just a whiny baby.

WickedHate posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I've liked a lot of Morrison, I just don't want Doom Patrol to be the anvil that broke the camel's back, you know? Because it's reputation as surreal even by Morrison's usual standards is daunting.

Give the contents of the first two volumes (Crawling From the Wreckage and the Painting that Ate Paris) a shot. In those issues you get introduced to the team while Grant Morrison tidies up the characters left behind from the previous run, the really great Butterfly Collector story, the Brotherhood of Dada, and a solid kockoff John Constantine story. If you enjoy it, dive in deeper. If not, read up on the wikis about what happens next and save yourself the surreal trip.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

WickedHate posted:

I know someone into My Chemical Romance enough that they call Gerard Way daddy, so I've been using this as an excuse to try and get them into comics.

Just give them Umbrella Academy to get that sweet sweet Ba and Moon art.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks for the rundown, yall. It's really helpful. (another reason to have an SA account-I like some of you! :))

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For real, the issue with The Brain and Mallah and The Chief's reveal near the end of the run are two of my all-time favorite issues of comics.

The latter was giving me chills while I was reading it.

Edit - I should say though, that compared to most of you guys I really haven't read nearly as many comics.

Roth fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2016

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

I can't find a bigger picture of this but I love Jack Kirby style John Constantine.

I posted one in the Funny Panels thread ages ago -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

WickedHate posted:

I know someone into My Chemical Romance enough that they call Gerard Way daddy.

You need new friends.

• Locked thread