Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ouhei posted:

This is super confusing to me because I've been reading about people breaking in to all kinds of poo poo and do they not realize that the game has a (fairly wide) radius that it lets you select a pokemon from? Like unless your yard is really massive, they probably could have caught it from the fence, or walked around to the other side...it's just so weird to me that people think they have to get right on top of the drat thing.

Not saying that goon is a liar but most pokemon go stories you read about are stdh.txt by people who don't understand the mechanics at all or at least very embellished. Like someone sees a player stop to catch a pokemon in front of their house and they say "wouldn't it be funny/interesting if instead of that it was like 20 people and they were hopping my fence and trying to get into my house? Wow I better tell the Internet about this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
When a song comes on the radio or TV, and someone else in the room sings along with it despite not really knowing the words.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:mad:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*screams*

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

The only person I've seen sharing this meme was born in loving 1993. :ironicat:

Parasol Prophet posted:

When a song comes on the radio or TV, and someone else in the room sings along with it despite not really knowing the words.

Similarly, people who pick karaoke songs, then they turn out not to have any idea how the song goes -- then instead of powering through or skipping their turn, they half-heartedly try to make other people sing the song instead. I love karaoke regardless, but this annoys me, especially when the song sucks.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

You Are A Elf posted:

I've been getting more and more ad blocker modal windows at various websites I visit because I use uBlock Origin. Some are relentless and refuse to let you go further until you disable ad blockers, and those are the sites I gave up on, but at least some are just clickable to disappear. "We know you're not here for the ads blah blah blah--- Please add us the your ad blocker's whitelist blah blah blah."

Still, gently caress YOU, WEBSITE. Ads suck, and so do you for bringing it up. Quit telling me this :argh:

Sites don't get it. Nobody cares about static banner/margin ads that change daily or at most every hour or so.

What brings out the adblockers are the places where there's 15 videos trying to load at once, while bad music and voiceover are fighting for supremacy over each other, the videos that aren't loading, and your own music that you were enjoying before this started. Of course your browser crashes. Trying to reload means all the damned videos also try to restart, sending the whole thing into a frenzy of frustration.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate sites like Huckberry where you can't even see the drat items for sale until you log in with Facebook or make an account.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
This is an old memory that pops up from time to time and irritates me to no purpose:

When I was fresh out of college, I worked at a company where at some point, we all had a one-day retreat on the Myers-Briggs personality theory and how we could use that to work more smoothly with our coworkers. We took the test and got our results, then we had a long session which involved breaking into groups of various letter combinations (like, all the NFs at one table, all the SFs at another, etc.), answering questions about problem scenarios, and then reporting our answers to the whole group so we could all see how different personality types approach the same problem. You would split into groups for different letter combinations for each new question.

So for one question, I was at a table with my boss and a bunch of other upper management people I didn't know. The question was something like, "Say you are a Little League coach and [some problem arises on your team] and you have to choose which child to kick off the team. How would you decide and why?" The table went around and around for the entire time limit, and finally they all agreed on "It's up to the coach's discretion" and were satisfied.

I said (very quietly, maybe because I'm an INFP :v:), "Wait, that's not an answer! That's what the question is asking: what does the 'coach's discretion' entail?" And no one heard or acknowledged me but my boss, who just shrugged. Someone at the table then announced to the group, "We've decided it's up to the coach's discretion," and the retreat leader and everyone else were satisfied.

But that is not a valid answer! That's just restating the question! How do you not see that?!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

I said (very quietly, maybe because I'm an INFP :v:),

Peeve: people who think the myers-brigs thing or anything related to it actually means anything useful. You don't need a test to know whether you're introverted or not. And of course everyone has to chime in and say they have one of the ~special snowflake~ ones who go on and on about how "only 3% of the world is like me!". The only thing it's good for is as a sign that you shouldn't talk to someone who identifies as, and is proud of being, an "INTJ".

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Murphy Brownback posted:

Not saying that goon is a liar but most pokemon go stories you read about are stdh.txt by people who don't understand the mechanics at all or at least very embellished. Like someone sees a player stop to catch a pokemon in front of their house and they say "wouldn't it be funny/interesting if instead of that it was like 20 people and they were hopping my fence and trying to get into my house? Wow I better tell the Internet about this."

You're hella loving retarded.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

FAROOQ posted:

You're hella loving retarded.

True but I'm not wrong. Almost all of the pokemon go stories spreading around the internet reek of STDH.

KoB
May 1, 2009
When people wont accept that I just dont want to do a thing.

Fine, next time Ill just make up an excuse to get you off my back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

KoB posted:

I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where the girl he's on a date with refuses to eat a slice of pie and won't say why. It is kind of weird if you just decline to do a thing and when asked why you just shake your head and say "not doing it, nope". You don't have to make something up, but sometimes people want something more than just "no".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Also: loving wires. There is nothing so immensely frustrating as wires. You can leave them perfectly organized and when you get home they will be a tangled mess. After all this time you'd think they would have come up with a kind of wire that can't get tangled without having to deal with the problems of wireless. Wire scientists get on this please.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who cross the street diagonally.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Murphy Brownback posted:

I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode where the girl he's on a date with refuses to eat a slice of pie and won't say why. It is kind of weird if you just decline to do a thing and when asked why you just shake your head and say "not doing it, nope". You don't have to make something up, but sometimes people want something more than just "no".

Only reason I've encountered for that kind of thing is when people don't actually ask the question they want to ask first. Like instead of just asking if I want to go grab a coffee or a beer or something it's "how are you doing?" "any big plans on Saturday?" and turn a simple conversation into a goddamn trap so when they finally ask to hang out I have no logical reason to say no other that just that I don't like you enough.

Just ask me if I want to hang out first!

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 20:44 on Jul 20, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KoB posted:

The worst thing is when the "thing" in question is "ask my friend out." I was at this party a few months ago, and my friend got it in his head that I should ask out this girl (who I wasn't really attracted to). He ends up telling a mutual friend who is also friends with the girl in question. When I say I don't want to, she (the mutual friend) asks me "why not?" How the gently caress am I supposed to answer that without it sounding like I'm insulting her friend? I just said how I wasn't interested in dating anyone right now (which is actually kinda true), but I felt like anything I said would end up just coming off as an excuse (which, well, it was). It's just a strange thing to ask someone. What exactly is gained from knowing the answer to that question? Do they think you're going to change your mind if forced to explain yourself?

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
people are absolutely trespassing on private property and entering restricted areas like construction sites in order to catch pókemons. living in a campus area where PóKEMON go is insanely popular and there is a lot of foot traffic, it is painfully obvious that people have begun crossing into restricted areas and staff residental areas wayyy more because of pókemons.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Tumblr recently added in auto play video ads to the sidebar area. Like ok whatever, it's a free service so I guess they have to attempt to make money somehow. But they have to be the loudest, non muted video ads I've ever heard. Even garbage rear end clickbait 'news' sites don't have videos as loud as that.

gently caress your poo poo tumblr. Even trash sites have the decency to let you unmute their autoplay video ads.

Even worse, one video ad starts with a women shrieking! That's great. So wonderful.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
^^^Oh god that's the absolute worst. A few years ago I had this situation:

:j: Oh my god Laura and Nancy are so into you!
:shobon: Ok, that's cool
:j: So which one are you going to ask out?
:shrug: Neither I guess. They're both nice but I'm not really interested in dating either of them.
:j: But you have to choose! They both like you!
:nono: No, I don't. I told you I'm not interested.
:j: But I told both of them you really like them too!

All of us were right around 30 years old at that point...

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
loving PMS. I'm bloated and crampy and moody and grumpy and this happens literally every four weeks for the past 25 years and it never gets any goddamn easier. I work my rear end off to stay thin but I can't do anything about this four-month-pregnancy belly I've got and it's not going to go away for another two days. Dammit, I just want my clothes to fit again!

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Attention-seeking excessive overuse of hashtags.
"Look, I got a new tattoo!"
#tattoo #tattoos #tats #ink #newink #inked #girlswithtattoos #girlswithink #inkedgirls #tattoogirls #newtattoo #armtattoo #tattooedarm #arms #skin #inkedskin #lookatme #thesaurus

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Grandmother of Five posted:

people are absolutely trespassing on private property and entering restricted areas like construction sites in order to catch pókemons. living in a campus area where PóKEMON go is insanely popular and there is a lot of foot traffic, it is painfully obvious that people have begun crossing into restricted areas and staff residental areas wayyy more because of pókemons.

There aren't any wild Pokemon at airports for this reason. People are idiots.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Stoatbringer posted:

Attention-seeking excessive overuse of hashtags.
"Look, I got a new tattoo!"
#tattoo #tattoos #tats #ink #newink #inked #girlswithtattoos #girlswithink #inkedgirls #tattoogirls #newtattoo #armtattoo #tattooedarm #arms #skin #inkedskin #lookatme #thesaurus

That's kind of the point of hashtags (on instagram in particular) though? If you're going to shout into the void you may as well shout words that will attract the most attention to your post.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

When roadwork crews leave signs up dictating that you go at a snails pace for miles because they're working a 100m stretch at a time for an hour every second weekday. There is no one there, no traffic hazard, and sure as hell no reason to slow down right now. Take the drat signs down when you go home and only put them up where they're actually needed at the time!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm looking for DIY headboard ideas, and way too many of them have "acquire an old headboard" as the first step. The ones that don't encourage you to utilize old barn doors and the like, and while they may look cool, they're not exactly things you just find lying around.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Wedemeyer posted:

Tumblr recently added in auto play video ads to the sidebar area. Like ok whatever, it's a free service so I guess they have to attempt to make money somehow. But they have to be the loudest, non muted video ads I've ever heard. Even garbage rear end clickbait 'news' sites don't have videos as loud as that.

gently caress your poo poo tumblr. Even trash sites have the decency to let you unmute their autoplay video ads.

Even worse, one video ad starts with a women shrieking! That's great. So wonderful.

Yahoo! owns Tumblr and they are absolute balls at running it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Murphy Brownback posted:

Also: loving wires. There is nothing so immensely frustrating as wires. You can leave them perfectly organized and when you get home they will be a tangled mess. After all this time you'd think they would have come up with a kind of wire that can't get tangled without having to deal with the problems of wireless. Wire scientists get on this please.

https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-Self-l...able+ties&psc=1

Max
Nov 30, 2002

AlphaKretin posted:

When roadwork crews leave signs up dictating that you go at a snails pace for miles because they're working a 100m stretch at a time for an hour every second weekday. There is no one there, no traffic hazard, and sure as hell no reason to slow down right now. Take the drat signs down when you go home and only put them up where they're actually needed at the time!

I have a sneaking suspicion that they turn around and charge the state for every day they have their equipment out on the road, even if it's a sign and some cones.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Crow Jane posted:

I'm looking for DIY headboard ideas, and way too many of them have "acquire an old headboard" as the first step. The ones that don't encourage you to utilize old barn doors and the like, and while they may look cool, they're not exactly things you just find lying around.

I know someone who made a couple of cool headboards out of old wooden fencing. Still not something you'll likely have lying around, but probably a lot easier to track down than a barn door?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

There's always a living headboard. You put some wooden pallets behind the bed and plant a metric gently caress ton of plants in it. Most people do air plants but whatever

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Living headboards are rad, but sadly I'm a notorious murderer of houseplants. I decided to just go with some drapey nonsense until I either acquire a bandsaw (and carpentry skills) or can find something cool for under $500.

:effort:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Why would you want a ton of plants by your head at all times while you're sleeping? Wouldn't that exponentially increase the amount of bugs crawling on you per night?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Plants pretty.

And you could do carnivorous plants whatever

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

People who try to replicate their regional accent/dialect when typing on social media.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Emailed offers that are only good for items located in the store, not for shipping.

Hey you want a good deal on some clearance stuff? Nice, everything is 40% off to move but you can only get it in store, even if we sent you emails about it!

Oh sorry there are no stores in your area for over 200 miles! Sooooorry!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Facebook has decided that just pestering you about everyone's birthday on the actual birthday wasn't enough, now they're going to do it the day after as well.

If I ignored the notification yesterday, I'm going to ignore it today too. :argh:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

IM loving DYING. I tried to read that article but there was a video autoplaying and when I scrolled down it shrunk to follow me, still playing. And clicking the pause button leads to another page? Fuckin christ.

But yeah, you're right. I've heard elsewhere the problem lies also in miscommunication between various teams running all of tumblr, and growing resentment between such mismanagement. I recall even Mayer being a half hour late to a conference intended to boost communication and such between teams. David Karp was present and joking around. I wonder what will happen if yahoo is split up. I recall Japan/some asian countries are still really into using that website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The phrase "curling up with a book". It just sounds horrendously uncomfortable. When I read a book, I sit in a chair or lie on a couch. There's no curling involved. Where dos the curling come from? What's curled? It's honestly like fingernails on blackboard to me.