Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
You don't have to pretend stuff you don't like didn't happen because it actually did not happen. That's what the "fiction" in "science fiction" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

You don't have to pretend stuff you don't like didn't happen because it actually did not happen. That's what the "fiction" in "science fiction" means.

How dare you claim that the Historical Documents are not true!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WampaLord posted:

How dare you claim that the Historical Documents are not true!

You are our last hope.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've always been most curious about the Dominion post-war. Did odo some how drastically change their culture over time and convince them that maybe solids are not lesser lifeforms that need to be oppressed/genocided? Did the dominion change at all post-war or was the treaty just "get out of alpha quadrant bye" ? Did they have to release planets or reform their empire in any way? Disarm in any way? What happens when the Dominion and Borg run into each other?

Oh hey wikipedia sort of has me covered
"The state of the Dominion as a political entity at the conclusion of the war has never been discussed in Star Trek canon. The terms of the final treaty ending the war were never shown. At the conclusion of the war it is assumed that the Dominion still held vast territories in the Gamma Quadrant. Odo's return to the Great Link is partially intended to share with the other changelings the information he has about how the war concluded and what he knows from living with solids; presumably, this is to change the goals and tactics of the Founders to a system that coexists with the solids as opposed to a strategy of domination.

In the non-canon relaunch novels published by Pocket Books, it is revealed that the Dominion and Breen forces withdraw from Cardassian space. Through Odo's efforts, the Dominion permits visitors from the Alpha Quadrant to resume peaceful operations in the Gamma Quadrant, in exchange for leaving its territory alone. Odo then begins attempting to change the nature of the Dominion by convincing the Founders to re-evaluate their views on other species, as well as encouraging certain Vorta and Jem'Hadar to behave more independently. The allied powers begin co-ordinating relief efforts to Cardassia, using Bajor as a staging point. The Cardassian Union is divided into separate protectorates to be occupied by the allies while the Cardassians recover. For her part in orchestrating the war, the Female Founder is sentenced to life imprisonment at Ananke Alpha, a maximum security Federation prison."

That all sounds fairly reasonable.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
With the Beyond press-train going full steam ahead combined with the Sulu news I am seeing so many actor interviews talking about "Gene's vision" and how positive and wonderful and inclusive he was. Sure, the guy gave us Trek but I've not seen a single mention of the fact that Gene resisted the portrayal of diverse sexuality for loving years.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Robutt posted:

With the Beyond press-train going full steam ahead combined with the Sulu news I am seeing so many actor interviews talking about "Gene's vision" and how positive and wonderful and inclusive he was. Sure, the guy gave us Trek but I've not seen a single mention of the fact that Gene resisted the portrayal of diverse sexuality for loving years.

Thanks to whoever recommended that book about what a douchbag he is. I already knew from other stuff I read, but it just arrived the other day and I am straight up ready to devour it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Robutt posted:

The Gene's Vision stuff will go on forever, but I think his legend has decreased significantly in the years since he died. Also everyone knows Star Trek II and VI are the good ones and the Gene-heavy TNG episodes sucked, so...

(I find it impossible to dislike IV on balance but I hear a lot of back and forth on that one).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Odo was attempting to break the Jem'Hadar and Vorta of their genetic programming before he got trapped in the AQ for awhile.

Also a warring race killed the Founder 'God' which caused all of the Changelings to flip out and just go their separate ways, except for Odo and Laas who was in that one DS9 episode.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Gene's Vision stuff will go on forever, but I think his legend has decreased significantly in the years since he died. Also everyone knows Star Trek II and VI are the good ones and the Gene-heavy TNG episodes sucked, so...

(I find it impossible to dislike IV on balance but I hear a lot of back and forth on that one).

Whatever "Gene's Vision" was originally arguably died with him, at this point its more what people interpret that vision to mean. You could kind of look at the different directors of the Trek films as offering their different take on that universe and that set of rules (in a way not really doable in a single TV series episode). Reminiscent of "Once More Unto the Breach" where they discuss the Alamo and what was real and what might the original truth be... in the end the importance of the original intention really isn't as important as where we choose to take it now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baronjutter posted:

I've always been most curious about the Dominion post-war. Did odo some how drastically change their culture over time and convince them that maybe solids are not lesser lifeforms that need to be oppressed/genocided? Did the dominion change at all post-war or was the treaty just "get out of alpha quadrant bye" ? Did they have to release planets or reform their empire in any way? Disarm in any way? What happens when the Dominion and Borg run into each other?

I would really like to see what becomes of the Ferengi and Cardassians post DS9. Grand Nagus Zek and later Rom enact a lot of reforms making the Ferengi more progressive and egalitarian - I think it would make sense that a reformed Ferenginar would join the Federation sometime.

I'd also love to see a newly democratic, postwar Cardassia. They could take inspiration from postwar Germany, even. It sounds like the books make Garak President of Cardassia, which is rad.

Speaking of that, in one of the books, Sulu becomes President of the Federation.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gammatron 64 posted:

I would really like to see what becomes of the Ferengi and Cardassians post DS9. Grand Nagus Zek and later Rom enact a lot of reforms making the Ferengi more progressive and egalitarian - I think it would make sense that a reformed Ferenginar would join the Federation sometime.

I'd also love to see a newly democratic, postwar Cardassia. They could take inspiration from postwar Germany, even. It sounds like the books make Garak President of Cardassia, which is rad.

Speaking of that, in one of the books, Sulu becomes President of the Federation.

No you don't. Leeta and Rom have a baby. AFAIK Barak isn't in charge, but a leading light and envoy to the Federation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh yeah post-war ferrengi alliance now that they're apparently switching from sexist libertarian capitalists to feminist marxists because their fairly weak head of state has been changed.

I could see Rom maybe making the ferrengi a little less awful, a slow women's rights movement that takes generations and is only proven as a good thing when it grows the economy. But to install a guy who just a few years earlier was up on a soap box quoting marx to incite a worker's movement and a union to be in charge of the most capitalist power in space, a culture that values profit and greed as beyond the Klingon's obsession with "honour" ?? I can't see that ending in anything other than Rom being assassinated or just mostly ignored.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WickedHate posted:

That's not the same in ways I can't begin to explain without going cross eyed.

Nah, it's exactly the same. The universe that Spock came from doesn't exist, or at the very least the causal chain leading to that particular incarnation of Spock is broken. He cannot happen any longer. And yet, there he is. Old Spock shouldn't exist, but he does, he's a paradox.

First Contact can still occur precisely as the film depicts, because the E arriving at all was a paradox already. Which means the Borg episode of Enterprise can still have occurred the same way. Just because the future those events are the product of no longer exists, doesn't mean those events are different.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah post-war ferrengi alliance now that they're apparently switching from sexist libertarian capitalists to feminist marxists because their fairly weak head of state has been changed.

I could see Rom maybe making the ferrengi a little less awful, a slow women's rights movement that takes generations and is only proven as a good thing when it grows the economy. But to install a guy who just a few years earlier was up on a soap box quoting marx to incite a worker's movement and a union to be in charge of the most capitalist power in space, a culture that values profit and greed as beyond the Klingon's obsession with "honour" ?? I can't see that ending in anything other than Rom being assassinated or just mostly ignored.

Okay, so that's the realistic way to look at it, but Star Trek hasn't ever really been known for its gritty realism. It wouldn't hurt my suspension of disbelief because the Ferengi are already very cartoonish.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Okan170 posted:

Whatever "Gene's Vision" was originally arguably died with him, at this point its more what people interpret that vision to mean. You could kind of look at the different directors of the Trek films as offering their different take on that universe and that set of rules (in a way not really doable in a single TV series episode). Reminiscent of "Once More Unto the Breach" where they discuss the Alamo and what was real and what might the original truth be... in the end the importance of the original intention really isn't as important as where we choose to take it now.

Star Trek continues to have a unique vision of the future even when it veers wildly away from humanist absurdity. You can practically hear it in the shows' opening title music.

Nominally Gene believed in the death of scarcity and interpersonal conflict between humans and vetoed any story involving it, except for all the shows where he clearly didn't, or somehow forgot. Like, in the future there is no money, except even the TOS characters tend to reference money being a thing. To name just one example where holes frequently get torn into the fabric of the Vision. In reality it is pretty clear that Gene was a cranky humanist who meddled so much with scripts that he couldn't see the forest for the trees, and for that and various other reasons was almost impossible to work with in his later years.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

schmitty9800 posted:

My wife insisted that if we were going to start watching DS9, we start with Season 1. About 20 episodes in she couldn't take it anymore, and I couldn't really blame her. My cries of "No, it gets massively better! Trust me! They start writing Bashir a lot better! Avery Brooks takes a while to find his character! All the best characters will be in later seasons! Garak! Weyoun! Martok! WORF, you remember him!" never worked :(

Wait, so you actually powered through to the point where you watched Duet... and she couldn't see why the show was worth watching? :ohdear:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, so that's the realistic way to look at it, but Star Trek hasn't ever really been known for its gritty realism. It wouldn't hurt my suspension of disbelief because the Ferengi are already very cartoonish.

Yeah, the Ferengi's weird system of ideology-based ultra-capitalism is so strange and nonsensical to begin with that I can't really complain about the sudden changes that were obviously happening at the end of DS9.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm closing in on the end of Season 4 of DS9 and there's quite a few episodes I don't remember, O'Brien going to mind-prison for 20 years being one in particular. It's really nice to find unknown parts of the show (to me) after all this time when I thought I'd seen every episode.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
How do you forget the ultimate gently caress O'Brian, Seriously, Let's Just Ruin His poo poo episode?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

How do you forget the ultimate gently caress O'Brian, Seriously, Let's Just Ruin His poo poo episode?

I didn't forget it, I somehow never saw it!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonz posted:

A rather spoilerific TV spot for Beyond:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=derB59I21Fw

I did some digging regarding that spoiler, and it turns out that Krall was once a human member of the USS Franklin during the Xindi War, and the reason he looks the way he does now is because the planet the ship crashed on had technology to dramatically extend a person's life. The side effect being it changes your DNA. Krall was also apparently a MACO prior to Starfleet, and in this universe, multiple ships fought against the Xindi.

The movie also has a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes with nearly 40 reviews, which is an entirely arbitrary number, but is still encouraging.

YES! Antagonist we've never heard of wants non-specific revenge for something! We've hit the trifecta people!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Gene was too hosed up by the time TNG came out to interfere with LBGT representation or the like, and it was mostly his shyster lawyer or Rick Berman. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if Roddenberry wasn't terribly progressive on the topic, but was he suppressing it during TOS?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd imagine it'd just never come up in the first place. I love Roddenberry drama to a weird degree, but one thing I'm not gonna blame the guy for is not crusading for gay representation on the show in the 60s.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Here is a gentle reminder--and I'm not excusing anything--that the Ellen show got a parental guidance warning on every episode after her character came out as gay in 1997.

That being said, the book is in the mail, and I'm not trying to side with Gene Roddenberry, especially not having read it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Gene was probably in favor of gay stuff but his Lawyer probably blocked it by being Gene's proxy and Berman probably did as well because "gene's vision."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The general word is that Gene was at first all in favour of it when Gerrold came to him about it, but The Lawyer and Berman teamed up to convince him it would get TNG cancelled, largely because they were both homophobes. Here's an interview.

Gene had admitted he wasn't so open minded back in the 60s on gay people, though. By TNG era he was embracing, but too demented to follow through.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 20, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I forgot who, but someone on the staff was called "an aids-infected cocksucker" by the lawyer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Gene was probably in favor of gay stuff

I bet he was! :quagmire:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gene wanted to go all-in on Earth being a giant orgy planet if I recall from this very thread/Chaos on the Bridge. If today's HBO existed while Gene was making TV, Star Trek would be the most hosed up thing you've ever seen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Gene was a giant lech and his futurism at times feels like a vehicle for that. If he could have gotten away with it Star Trek would be Gor levels of fetish.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Gene was probably in favor of gay stuff but his Lawyer probably blocked it by being Gene's proxy and Berman probably did as well because "gene's vision."
George Takei said in a recent interview that Gene knew he was gay in the '60s, and that they had discussions about introducing gay characters but felt that was going to get the show cancelled (they're not wrong).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gene was a lot of things but I wouldn't say he was any sort of coward for not trying to deal with gay rights issues in the loving 60's, that wasn't even safe until the 2000's, it would have killed TNG let alone classic. Berman is a piece of poo poo though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

George Takei said in a recent interview that Gene knew he was gay in the '60s, and that they had discussions about introducing gay characters but felt that was going to get the show cancelled (they're not wrong).

It wouldn't have gotten it canceled because it wouldn't have made it near the airwaves, to even attempt it would be the most pointless effort since the charge of the Light Brigade. Hell, I Love Lucy couldn't even say "pregnant", even implied heterosexual sex had to be as subtle as possible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, 50s/60s film was heavily regulated by the Hays Code (I know that was used for film but not sure if it applied to TV as well), and TV was kind of the same deal.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hey there was even a DS9 episode about how heavily censored scify was back in the day. Having a black writer was enough to get the whole issue pulped.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even Star Trek had woman writers who either used their initials or used a male name because no one could accept that women could write.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cojawfee posted:

Even Star Trek had woman writers who either used their initials or used a male name because no one could accept that women could write.

That's still a thing.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Baronjutter posted:

Hey there was even a DS9 episode about how heavily censored scify was back in the day. Having a black writer was enough to get the whole issue pulped.

Well it was that and he was trying to write a story were the main character was black also.

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 20, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ikasuhito posted:

Well it was that and I believe he was trying to write a story were the main character was black also.

Let's not forget what partially inspired that episode, after all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Let's not forget what partially inspired that episode, after all:

Whoa, really? What's that from?