Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I saw the story run this weekend about the Hindu community asking for an Overwatch skin to be changed which got me thinking about a similar news story earlier in the year about SMT4's use of Hindu figures. Obviously this has gone on for years so I'm desensitized to it completely at this point.

What got me thinking though is why haven't there been people who got upset about a games use of religion in story analogs and getting things completely wrong. Like VP1's use of Norse is all backwards and wrong iirc, and isn't Xenogears really inaccurate about its use of religious characters too?

The problem with the Symmetra skin is that you have a fictional Indian woman dressed in a Halloween "Sexy Diety" costume. It would be the equivalent of putting Mercy in a bikini and calling it "Mother Mary" or something. Someone somewhere would be upset about that, guaranteed and it's not like Hindis in America are calling for Blizzards' heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Sorta. The more specific point is that Hinduism is a very large religion and treating it as 'exotic' shouldn't really be a thing. I doubt Blizzard was really intentional about pressing any buttons and wanted the skin to be seen more as a homage or nod.

Regardless the exoticness is kind of old, can't disagree with that myself. At least games like SMT are pretty equal across the board with their handling of religion.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
IIRC I posted about the SMT thing originally and someone responded to me that the dude who was leading the complaints was a notorious radical or something.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I'm having a pretty hard time caring about anyone in Setsuna, all the dialogue feels kinda boilerplate. Combat's pretty solid and it looks real good though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HGH posted:

IIRC I posted about the SMT thing originally and someone responded to me that the dude who was leading the complaints was a notorious radical or something.

i don't really know if i'd say 'radical,' but the guy's complained about just about every video game depiction of hindu deities in the past few years. which, honestly, isn't really a slight against him because if he has a problem with it he has a problem with it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I'm having a pretty hard time caring about anyone in Setsuna, all the dialogue feels kinda boilerplate. Combat's pretty solid and it looks real good though.

Setsyuna and Tidus's Snowy Adventure

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, I'm like an hour into Setsuna and the plot seems super rote but it's so gorgeous (both in graphics and sound) that I don't mind. Am I correct in assuming that I should just be selling off materials as I get them, or is there a FFXII Bazaar-esque hoarding mechanism to worry about?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Anyone know where I Am Setsuna saves are kept? Been ages since I've wanted to move a save file and all I've seen is a config file in documents/my games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

I'm having a pretty hard time caring about anyone in Setsuna, all the dialogue feels kinda boilerplate.

That's about what I heard about the JP release, shame the localization didn't punch it up any.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Separate from the characters, I think these "do it like we used to make 'em" RPGs too often fall into the trap of overly generic plot and overused tropes that no amount of punching can fix.
EDIT: What I mean is there isn't enough within the setting in the first place that you can improvise on like say, Frog's ye olde English.
And I know no voice acting is playing it straight with the classic/old school feeling (plus Chrono Trigger didn't need it to give characters a "voice"), but it can really help. SO5 had a boring dumb plot but some solid performances here and there alleviated that from time to time.

Endorph posted:

i don't really know if i'd say 'radical,' but the guy's complained about just about every video game depiction of hindu deities in the past few years. which, honestly, isn't really a slight against him because if he has a problem with it he has a problem with it.
Ah sorry for misinterpreting/misremembering. So it's more like a 90s American pastor getting angry at video games?

HGH fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 19, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eh, I don't think that's really correct either? He's not upset because of vague 'disrespect' or 'corrupting the youth,' like the pastor example, or even weird readings of pokemon to be about satan. He is upset about very specific things - a real life human being using a mouse and keyboard to control a representation of a god in his religion, for instance.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

any good games focused on hinduism?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

dukerson posted:

Yeah, I'm like an hour into Setsuna and the plot seems super rote but it's so gorgeous (both in graphics and sound) that I don't mind. Am I correct in assuming that I should just be selling off materials as I get them, or is there a FFXII Bazaar-esque hoarding mechanism to worry about?

Selling monster materials is your only source of income, iirc. Keep the ones that appear green in the menu, they're for food recipes. You can sell all your materials at once, the Magic Consortium remembers everything you've sold so you don't have to trade them in for Spritnite right away.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

Eh, I don't think that's really correct either? He's not upset because of vague 'disrespect' or 'corrupting the youth,' like the pastor example, or even weird readings of pokemon to be about satan. He is upset about very specific things - a real life human being using a mouse and keyboard to control a representation of a god in his religion, for instance.

Yeah, he's consistent about not being a fan of it wherever it pops up, so it's not like he's jumping on Overwatch because it's popular like crazy Right-wing people trying to start beating on the 'Pokemon is Satan' drum again.

Personally, I would love it if Overwatch went SMT on the deities and such. Zenyatta should absolutely have a Jesus Skin.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Right, now I remember, the complaint was Krishna was wearing clothes that would be normally associated with gangsters. I see where he's coming from.
As for Pokemon being Satan, I see way more about it being offensive to women/black people/the handicapped/etc...
EDIT: Less than a minute later this greets me on twitter just to prove me wrong

HGH fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 19, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Davincie posted:

Digital Devil Saga? :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HGH posted:

As for Pokemon being Satan, I see way more about it being offensive to women/black people/the handicapped/etc...
EDIT: Less than a minute later this greets me on twitter just to prove me wrong

And there's also this. https://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/rick-wiles-satan-using-pok-mon-go-spawn-demonic-powers-and-murder-christians

Pokemon Go will open the way to hell and demons will slaughter us all now that nerds are going out and socializing and getting exercising.

Or sticking their phones on drones and flying them around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Davincie posted:

Asura's Wrath...

After playing Guacamelee I want to see a Hindu mythology game with this art style and you can call it BaliBash, I'll give you that name for free.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Jetfire posted:

Selling monster materials is your only source of income, iirc. Keep the ones that appear green in the menu, they're for food recipes. You can sell all your materials at once, the Magic Consortium remembers everything you've sold so you don't have to trade them in for Spritnite right away.

word, thanks.

the combat in this game seems like its potentially pretty deep (a bunch of interesting interactions + systems) but at least so far I'm just scratching the surface since I've got a dual tech that OHKOs all enemies. still, it's pretty satisfying even if i have no idea what i should be working towards with talismans and fluxes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Asura's Wrath...

After playing Guacamelee I want to see a Hindu mythology game with this art style and you can call it BaliBash, I'll give you that name for free.
Balibusters right there, and you don't take it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Verranicus posted:

I don't remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyiHOXkHK90&t=93s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6kJXWXH6xw

The takeaway being that when you killed her, all that lyrium, which had explicit regenerative properties, brought something back.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 20, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I am Setsuna is alright if you played every other single jrpg and need a week to kill.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
play gate of firmament instead

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

play gate of firmament instead

:frogon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Endorph posted:

Balibusters right there, and you don't take it?

Shiiiit. Someone Kickstart this.

That Indivisible game has a cool South Asian look to it. I hope they change the generic name at some point.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tae posted:

I am Setsuna is alright if you played every other single jrpg and need a week to kill.

There's been like 10 other JRPGs released in the past two months so I don't think people are lacking for them

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lakbay posted:

There's been like 10 other JRPGs released in the past two months so I don't think people are lacking for them

I wish them all the best, but nothing in their trailers has really grabbed me and the voice over in their English trailers somehow grates on my nerves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I Am Setsuna suffers from being the cover band of JRPGs. Rather than doing anything original it's just regurgitating plot point after plot point from classic JRPGs but without actually any honesty behind them.The plot amounts to "What if Dark Knight Cecil was sent to kill Yuna instead of going to Mist?!" and at least as far as I am there is not a single plot beat or character who isn't halfheartedly regurgitating a more popular RPG.

And it's possible to mimic classic games but it only really works if you have something original to say and I Am Setsuna doesn't seem to.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Lotta those recent JRPGs are just as mediocre unfortunately

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm enjoying I Am Setsuna but it really isn't anything special. They took the battle system from Chrono Trigger and then transplanted the story from Final Fantasy X from "tropical islands" to "land of eternal winter" and that's about it. They didn't even take Auron out.

It seems like a nice chill-out RPG so far but I wouldn't rush out to buy it if that isn't what you're looking for.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The company that made Setsuna is like a subsidiary of SE made specifically to churn out lower budget JRPGs, right? I'm happy if they can keep hgames of this quality coming out frequently enough, cliche story or not.

On the subject of the Symmetra skin, people need to get over themselves and stop looking for things to be offended over.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm at the last term (I think, where the term project is literally making canned food) of Altier EschaLogy and...wow. That first miniboss in the last dungeon sure is a kick in the teeth after like 85% of the game beforehand being "how fast can I kill these guys.":stare: Hsving half HP isn't helping matters either.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have to say...Planescape Torment is not impressing me much. "An interactive story!" It's far too interactive for how un-fun the combat is and how boring the gameplay is. It's 99% sidequests with the occasional sidequest yielding interesting info but mostly they are boring fetch quests. The story is good from what I can make of it - I just escaped Ravel's Maze - but goddam if it isn't poorly told. In the last Act, with the two new Wards, I literally had no idea what my objective was until I looked it up.

This wasn't helped by Morte bugging out of existence. And people poo poo on Bethesda.

And on that note, not a big fan of my companions here, either. Right now I only have Dak'kon, Annah and Graces but eh. Maybe there are better ones out there. Dak'kon is okay, I guess. I just got Graces, I'll talk to her more and maybe grow to like her.

All I can say is that I hope the game gets a bit more...direction from here on out. Once I figured out the stuff about needing to find Ravel and then actually meeting her, that was intriguing. The story isn't bad - it just feels like it really, really drags. It's broken up by far too much wandering around being bored.

How does Baldur's Gate compare to this? I was thinking of getting the games but I'm not so sure now. GOG only has the Enhanced Editions now but the physical copies are pretty cheap .There was a boxset of BG1 and 2 released as well as a DVD boxset of BG1&2, Torment, Icewind Dale 1&2 and Temple of Elemental Evil. That's a bit more expensive, though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Better gameplay, worse story, nearly nonexistent character building compared to Torment.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baldurs Gate is more bad combat and less story.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
BG2 is probably in my top 10 favorite games of all time but then I think Planescape: Torment is really great as well so that may not mean much for you. That said PS:T is universally agreed to be the weakest one gameplay-wise, it's certainly not what that game is played for.

But basically PS:T is all story and little combat, Icewind Dale is all combat and little story, and Baldur's Gate is somewhere in the middle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

I'm at the last term (I think, where the term project is literally making canned food) of Altier EschaLogy and...wow. That first miniboss in the last dungeon sure is a kick in the teeth after like 85% of the game beforehand being "how fast can I kill these guys.":stare: Hsving half HP isn't helping matters either.

you don't really need obscenely perfect gear, but just using the last tier of equipment without any special effort put into it makes things really hard. so, alchemy. either experiment with different properties or just look up what the better ones are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NikkolasKing posted:

I have to say...Planescape Torment is not impressing me much. "An interactive story!" It's far too interactive for how un-fun the combat is and how boring the gameplay is. It's 99% sidequests with the occasional sidequest yielding interesting info but mostly they are boring fetch quests. The story is good from what I can make of it - I just escaped Ravel's Maze - but goddam if it isn't poorly told. In the last Act, with the two new Wards, I literally had no idea what my objective was until I looked it up.

Planescape is one of those "you had to be there" games, it's totally understandable to not like it now and you don't owe it to the Sacred Goon Canon of Vidja to enjoy it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

You can enjoy Planescape just fine without doing so but trying to work out the different layers of what it's trying to communicate like when rewatching something like Twin Peaks is a big part of what made it satisfying for me. I liked it a lot but it wasn't until my third playthrough running through different choices that I came to appreciate what it was trying (not always succeeding, mind) to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

you don't really need obscenely perfect gear, but just using the last tier of equipment without any special effort put into it makes things really hard. so, alchemy. either experiment with different properties or just look up what the better ones are.

Most of my stuff is pretty good I figured, since I was never remotely approaching danger from any other boss and I put effort into it. Eh, I'm pretty sure I have the entire term to clear this dungeon, so I'll make some better stuff.