Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
red19fire
May 26, 2010

facebook jihad posted:

The older I get the less I find Tim and Eric funny honestly. The above link with the mattress ad is pretty funny until the random dark dream that is supposed to be the punchline of the joke.

The first season of Eric Andre was gold. It started to lose its luster in the latter two seasons when they actually started getting celebrities to show up, but it still had good moments. The season finales of seasons 2 and 3 were some of the most mind bending episodes of television ever

I think T&E still holds up, the problem is nearly every live action thing adult swim has done since then has the same formula. Public access style commercials with random nightmare/trippy non sequiturs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Unhappily Ever After lasted exactly 100 episodes. Two Broke Girls is at 116 and going. Mathematical evidence that Kat Dennings' tits > Nikki Cox tits.

Nah as awful as the show around her is it's obvious that Kat Dennings and her giant tits aren't the only thing keeping the show going.

ghlbtsk posted:

I don't know -- they were pretty spectacular
She was utterly mesmerizing to the point that I would actually watch the show just to ogle her (a rarity in the pre-Two Broke Girls TV landscape).

This guy remembers. Nikki Cox double-breastedly kept that show lurching to 100 episodes, aided by whatever desperate Cali girls the producers could rope into wearing sex doll clothes around her. Literally nothing else about that show was worth paying attention to. 9 year-old me practically wore my dick off watching that garbage fire.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Meh, the shot selection is amazing and characters are usually interesting, but man the writers refuse to just pick a central conflict and stick with it, so it often ends up disjointed and runaway train-esque. AHS that is. Like season 4, I thought they had all the pieces in place for a three way conflict: The clown hunts citizens, who mistakenly blame the freaks, who try to hunt down the clown to stop the towns rage. But nope, let's kill off the best character and introduce like 5 different sinister characters because who the hell likes a strong narrative, anyway

An AHS season about the AHS writer's room from the perspective of a new writer struggling to keep the narrative on-track would be the loving best.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Halloween Jack posted:

Lucifer On A Plane sounds like a great show.

It'd make a good Christian movie: A plane is going down, and Lucifer appears and freezes the plane in mid-air.

He walks up and down the aisles of the plane with the surprisingly small number of passengers and says he can keep the plane from crashing if they agree to sell him their souls: But it has to be unanimous. So you have a handful of people who are quick to sign over their souls to live, then you have the other extreme of Christians who refuse. In the middle you have the people who are questioning and unsure, people who are holdouts for better offers and extortion since the lives of the remaining passengers rest on them, a fight where people attempt to murder the lone Christian hold outs to create a unanimous vote between the remaining living passengers, etc. Finally some allegory at the end about how Jesus is the pilot in the plane of our lives and he has to be trusted to save us over the Devil.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

They're all poo poo. There, I've done your work for you.

They're not though. Even if the last season was a huge miss, even if they didn't answer a lot of questions... they're not.

FWIW Lost holds up a hell of a lot better as a Netflix binge show than it does as waiting weeks or months between new episodes.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 19, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

JediTalentAgent posted:

It'd make a good Christian movie: A plane
No.

I've already seen two Christian movies set almost entirely on a plane, and my doctor tells me I'm at risk for boredom poisoning.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

It'd make a good Christian movie: A plane is going down, and Lucifer appears and freezes the plane in mid-air.

He walks up and down the aisles of the plane with the surprisingly small number of passengers and says he can keep the plane from crashing if they agree to sell him their souls: But it has to be unanimous. So you have a handful of people who are quick to sign over their souls to live, then you have the other extreme of Christians who refuse. In the middle you have the people who are questioning and unsure, people who are holdouts for better offers and extortion since the lives of the remaining passengers rest on them, a fight where people attempt to murder the lone Christian hold outs to create a unanimous vote between the remaining living passengers, etc. Finally some allegory at the end about how Jesus is the pilot in the plane of our lives and he has to be trusted to save us over the Devil.

contact m night shalalalamananalalamadingdong before i get to it first

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

A few pages back someone mentioned Perfect Hair Forever. I checked it out and the answer is Perfect Hair Forever.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Full House

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Y-Hat posted:

i heard that mr. robot is really good, but i kept seeing ads for it on the subway that turned me off from watching it. think "Holden Caulfield saying poo poo after listening to three hours of Bill Hicks standup"

You're not supposed to admire the main character or think he's cool. He's pretty up front about the fact that he's completely messed up.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

They're not though. Even if the last season was a huge miss, even if they didn't answer a lot of questions... they're not.

FWIW Lost holds up a hell of a lot better as a Netflix binge show than it does as waiting weeks or months between new episodes.

Plus the last season is a lot better if you watch it without hoping it will answer any questions or go anywhere.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

RedMage129 posted:

No no no. I Obsessively watch every show but ONLY to have talking points about how awful it is when I come to post the epic takedown of the creators and anyone who finds amusement in watching it.

Oh, Ok. A chronic hate-watcher.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tokelau All Star posted:

A few pages back someone mentioned Perfect Hair Forever. I checked it out and the answer is Perfect Hair Forever.
If you're going to check out terrible shows just because I mention them, have you seen all six seasons of Sons of Anarchy? "A stupid person's idea of what a smart person's show looks like" pretty much sums it up.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

trash person posted:

The Walking Dead.

Zombies are a boring as hell premise to begin with, and the show attempts to do nothing interesting with it. I have an ex who I watched the first two seasons with and it's the most boring poo poo I have ever seen. The characters are boring as gently caress and the show recycles the same 'hey lets go here we'll be safe oh no we're not safe' thing over and over.

Not to mention the awful fan base and merchandising everywhere.

This.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

If you're going to check out terrible shows just because I mention them, have you seen all six seasons of Sons of Anarchy? "A stupid person's idea of what a smart person's show looks like" pretty much sums it up.

More like an extended series of melodramatic commercials for selling Harley's to sad dads.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Much like Once Upon a Time, Suits, Fringe and basically anything else on TV, Scandal is great if you pretend it ended after S3. The three-season curse is real, most shows just start running out of ideas and getting increasingly dumb after that point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
TWD just puts forward this incredibly bleak view of humanity, in a way that beggars belief. The characters just keep getting bushwhacked by The Hills Have Eyes style clans of degenerate crazies. And despite the fact that the characters have been living in the same place for awhile, scouting surrounding territories, etc. they have no intelligence/reconnaissance whatsoever and never know when the next clan of crazy cannibals is going to bushwhack them.

Like, the end of the last season, the villain reveals that he's doing exactly what would happen if society broke down, because it's the way society ran for thousands and thousands of years: he's formed a military caste that lords over everyone else. And this is presented as some stunning new idea when it should have been the norm once the zombies weren't the focus of the show. Instead, it's the Georgia Chainsaw Massacre over and over and over again.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

You're not supposed to admire the main character or think he's cool. He's pretty up front about the fact that he's completely messed up.

The main character saying he's messed up doesn't change much. How does the show actually portray him?

e--

Refractory Colon posted:

is this the show where he takes down some pedo within the first 4 minutes of the first episode ever?

and then when the pedo tries to bribe him he says something like "i dont care about money!"

yeah im pretty sure theyre aggressively, overtly trying to make you like him. His antihero "flaws" only support that

Like, I turned the show off after 40 minutes, but im fairly certain one of his "messed up" qualities isnt that hes a pedo himself, or something equally heinous.That would make you not like him!

i dunno maybe it gets better (lol Fight Club) but the whole pilot just screamed writing-by-executives trying to stuff as much character nuance as humanly possible into every scene

Sounds about right, yeah.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 19, 2016

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

is this the show where he takes down some pedo within the first 4 minutes of the first episode ever?

and then when the pedo tries to bribe him he says something like "i dont care about money!"

yeah im pretty sure theyre aggressively, overtly trying to make you like him. His antihero "flaws" only support that

Like, I turned the show off after 40 minutes, but im fairly certain one of his "messed up" qualities isnt that hes a pedo himself, or something equally heinous.That would make you not like him!

i dunno maybe it gets better (lol Fight Club) but the whole pilot just screamed writing-by-executives trying to stuff as much character nuance as humanly possible into every scene

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

is Ariel Winter 18 or over in the most recent season of Modern Family? a-asking for a friend

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Refractory Colon posted:

I haven't seen it, but a pedophile villain is a red flag that a show is having a really really hard time making its "antihero" likeable.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

The main character saying he's messed up doesn't change much. How does the show actually portray him?

He's an anti-social, manipulative, paranoid drug addict. He also seems to do more harm than good.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 20, 2016

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Night Court, which ran for 9 seasons somehow

That's mostly because Night Court was awesome and ruled and should have run for a hundred seasons.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Centripetal Horse posted:

That's mostly because Night Court was awesome and ruled and should have run for a hundred seasons.

Correct.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Anyone say Shasta McNasty?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chuck Lorre is a garbage person. I watched a minute of Dharma and Greg and it was the most painfully unfunny poo poo I've ever seen.

For kids' shows I'd say either Bobby's World or Catdog.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Anyone say Shasta McNasty?

Holy poo poo, I thought I was the only person who actually saw this show. Whenever I bring it up, people act like they have never heard of it. Gary Busey's son was okay in Starship Troopers, though.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Halloween Jack posted:

TWD just puts forward this incredibly bleak view of humanity, in a way that beggars belief. The characters just keep getting bushwhacked by The Hills Have Eyes style clans of degenerate crazies. And despite the fact that the characters have been living in the same place for awhile, scouting surrounding territories, etc. they have no intelligence/reconnaissance whatsoever and never know when the next clan of crazy cannibals is going to bushwhack them.

Like, the end of the last season, the villain reveals that he's doing exactly what would happen if society broke down, because it's the way society ran for thousands and thousands of years: he's formed a military caste that lords over everyone else. And this is presented as some stunning new idea when it should have been the norm once the zombies weren't the focus of the show. Instead, it's the Georgia Chainsaw Massacre over and over and over again.

It's worse than that. Unless a truly minuscule number of people survived the initial zombie outbreak, society would likely never totally collapse, especially with modern communication. Militias and national guard units can be called up as well as combat engineers. Emergency services might get disrupted, but doctors, medics, firemen, aren't going to abandon their posts en masse. With nothing but crude spears and fire mankind destroyed any truly impressive megafauna in North America in short order. Mobility challenged, unintelligent humans that quickly fall apart in the sun, rain, cold, and are susceptible to things like fly larvae infestations ruining their already poor durability aren't going to last long against modern tech and even rudimentary communication, let alone an intelligent creature that has distance travel as a strong suit.

Even if the government and military collapsed, crews of people from relatively stable large communities could form to divert and herd the zombies away while earthworks (say steep trenches filled with pitch a dozen layers deep) were quickly made into a kill zone away from safe havens to lead them back to. Once the final trench is reached you light everything on fire. You can do that in an afternoon with a few backhoes and a dozen people for all of the roles. Even if the fabric of Shitsville nowhere, population 650 completely dissolves, mankind still has all of the advantages over creatures that would barely be a challenge for a deer buck to kick over and stomp on. Sometimes I think the humans in zombie media deserve to die.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
As far as "shows that actually thought they would be critically acclaimed", The Following is my pick for worst. It had an interesting premise until about five episodes in and then nose-dived so hard over the course of 30 minutes that I'v never gone back to see if it pulled up at all.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I watched the entire thing while my wife was pregnant with our twins as we watched a lot of TV toward the end. It's completely off the rails for most of the duration of the series.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
RNC coverage.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Best Show: Hogan's Heroes

Worst Show: Dr. Quinn

Hell yeah. I still have a old TV from when I was a kid that I have an antenna hooked up to, Hogan's Heroes reruns on METV every night on that bad boy. I'll second Dr. Quinn as being the worst, I swear every episode was just oh my god a woman doctor in the old west.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Siva68 posted:

Hell yeah. I still have a old TV from when I was a kid that I have an antenna hooked up to, Hogan's Heroes reruns on METV every night on that bad boy. I'll second Dr. Quinn as being the worst, I swear every episode was just oh my god a woman doctor in the old west.

To be fair, that show was set like fifteen years after the first woman graduated from a US medical school. It would have been a pretty big deal, although not necessarily a great premise for episode after episode of a television show.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Small Wonder. Robot daughter.... yeah.... that's not creepy.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

mind the walrus posted:

An AHS season about the AHS writer's room from the perspective of a new writer struggling to keep the narrative on-track would be the loving best.

Every time an important plot or character gets abruptly dropped it's because the person writing it was hosed to death by a leather demon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Has anyone said the worst show is Sex and the City?

Because the worst show is Sex and the City.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Has anyone said the worst show is Sex and the City?

Because the worst show is Sex and the City.

My favorite thing is they made the daytime t.v. edits of it. So now it's got none of the g-rated sex scenes HBO throws in everything they make.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

They also did that for The Sopranos right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBD94cs0T8

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's worse than that. Unless a truly minuscule number of people survived the initial zombie outbreak, society would likely never totally collapse, especially with modern communication. Militias and national guard units can be called up as well as combat engineers. Emergency services might get disrupted, but doctors, medics, firemen, aren't going to abandon their posts en masse. With nothing but crude spears and fire mankind destroyed any truly impressive megafauna in North America in short order. Mobility challenged, unintelligent humans that quickly fall apart in the sun, rain, cold, and are susceptible to things like fly larvae infestations ruining their already poor durability aren't going to last long against modern tech and even rudimentary communication, let alone an intelligent creature that has distance travel as a strong suit.

Even if the government and military collapsed, crews of people from relatively stable large communities could form to divert and herd the zombies away while earthworks (say steep trenches filled with pitch a dozen layers deep) were quickly made into a kill zone away from safe havens to lead them back to. Once the final trench is reached you light everything on fire. You can do that in an afternoon with a few backhoes and a dozen people for all of the roles. Even if the fabric of Shitsville nowhere, population 650 completely dissolves, mankind still has all of the advantages over creatures that would barely be a challenge for a deer buck to kick over and stomp on. Sometimes I think the humans in zombie media deserve to die.

I want the last episode of TWD of Rick and the few remaining survivors holed up in a house, one side a thuosand zombies, the other side Westboro Cannibal & Chainsaw Church.
They are about to do a suicide run into one side to get away, until they get knocked down on their asses by a explosion.
Then gun fire from the zombie side, and zombies turn away to face this oncoming army. And its a MASSIVE army, all walking down into the place they are holding up, just killing zombies efficiently, children soldiers rearming or clearing away bodies so they can walk further.
And they get up to Rick, Rick swaggers out unshaved and dirty, and a fat soldier gets down from his jeep and just says, "poo poo son, we sorted out this walker poo poo 2 years ago up north. Stabilized ourselves, and are now retaking the rest of the world. You in?"
And then Rick kills Carl and kills himself.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

I want the last episode of TWD of Rick and the few remaining survivors holed up in a house, one side a thuosand zombies, the other side Westboro Cannibal & Chainsaw Church.
They are about to do a suicide run into one side to get away, until they get knocked down on their asses by a explosion.
Then gun fire from the zombie side, and zombies turn away to face this oncoming army. And its a MASSIVE army, all walking down into the place they are holding up, just killing zombies efficiently, children soldiers rearming or clearing away bodies so they can walk further.
And they get up to Rick, Rick swaggers out unshaved and dirty, and a fat soldier gets down from his jeep and just says, "poo poo son, we sorted out this walker poo poo 2 years ago up north. Stabilized ourselves, and are now retaking the rest of the world. You in?"
And then Rick kills Carl and kills himself.

So pretty much they're the losers who stopped looking for civilization. I like that twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zippy the Bummer posted:

As far as "shows that actually thought they would be critically acclaimed", The Following is my pick for worst. It had an interesting premise until about five episodes in and then nose-dived so hard over the course of 30 minutes that I'v never gone back to see if it pulled up at all.

I actually really liked The Following, but you had to kind of take the show on its own terms. It also helps if you appreciate the nods it made to various source material, particularly old-school movie serials. The second season was my personal favorite, and I particularly enjoyed Purefoy's performance in those shows. The show definitely has its issues, but on the whole it was an enjoyable ride for me.

• Locked thread