Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
It's kind of depressing to see Leslie Jones get praised to high heaven for doing the last thing that anyone in that situation should do.

Hadaka Apron fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 19, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Sunswipe posted:

My memory must be going in old age, because my answer to that would be "none." I'm open to the possibility I just didn't see the shows that did that, but I'm surprised it's as common as you say and I can't think of a single instance.

Mostly sitcoms and childrens' stuff.
http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghostbusters_Tributes,_Spoofs,_%26_References

quote:

I have never heard of a single one of those shows. Were they popular? Did they do well?

It's possible I missed out on all of this because all the shows doing this stuff didn't make it over to the land of tea and bad teeth. But if these shows had enough of an impact to be a genre worth parodying in a mainstream movie, I would expect to at least have heard of them at some point in my online time.

The answer: Sort of. Monster Squad, Weird Science, Lost Boys, Fright Night all have some cult popularity in the US, but most of the others are not popular or remembered well at all. But all it really takes is one thing to be a 'hit', to be something 'fresh and new' that no one else is doing to be big and everyone wants to try to do a version of it and hopes it becomes just as successful. Ghostbusters is/was maybe that in the 80s, sort of like how post-Matrix there was a boom in people trying to do wire-fu or post-Harry Potter the start of the YA/Kids Film adaptation boom.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ghostbusters' popularity probably contributed to the ghost hunting TV series boom which started in the late 90s but movies like Poltergeist and earlier shows like "In Search Of..." would have also been factors.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ghostbusters' popularity probably contributed to the ghost hunting TV series boom which started in the late 90s but movies like Poltergeist and earlier shows like "In Search Of..." would have also been factors.

Along these lines, the Late 70s-early 80s creepy and strange paranormal films of the time maybe helped influence the creation of GB. Not just somethign like The Exorcist. There are things in the original film that feel like standard horror tropes stuff, then there are things that feel just really strange and otherworldly to the point of being nearly alien or even cosmic. A sort of war modern logical world being confronted with or trying to impose itself on supernatural/spirituality/magic sort of vibe.

Here are some trailers/clips of some pre GB stuff to give some examples of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIKU9hzRq6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrlpN_D5tuU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SEFRWjATqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-1lF6DQlNU

which all sort of fit with something like this scene from Ghostbusters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFZPhf5p-BU

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 19, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Weird Science and Lost Boys made it over here, even the TV show of Weird Science (oh, Vanessa Angel, how you inflamed my teenage loins!). And now I've forgotten what I was trying to say.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

I was curious about what other baby boomer stuff was adapted in the 90s so I had a quick look and there was a whooooole lot of them: The Beverly Hillbillies, The Sandlot Kids, The Little Rascals, Leave It to Beaver, Richie Rich, Casper, 101 Dalmatians, The Nutty Professor, Mars Attacks!, Flubber, Mr. Magoo, Doctor Dolittle, Lost in Space, The Avengers, Wild Wild West, Dick Tracy, My Favorite Martian, Lassie, Dudley Do-Right, McHale's Navy, Pippi Longstocking and probably more

Thanks for leaving out George of the Jungle, which I remember being good. Dick Tracy was greenlit probably because of Batman as it was another 1930s detective comic and holy heck how did it get nominated for 7 oscars.

I'd credit the rise of ghost hunting shows to the reality television boom, and camera technology becoming good/cheap enough to lug through spooky buildings. Also the Blair Witch Project probably got tv producers realizing that scares could be made without scripts or decent equipment

You could really make a stretch and credit the end of the Cold War for surging interest in paranormal media (X-Files, Unsolved Mysteries) in the late 80s and 90s. Maybe Americans needed something else to fear, in the gap between communism's collapse and 9/11?

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 19, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

is there any part of the new ghostbusters that could be construed as scary? the library, fridge, and chair scene are all scary in the first movie.

it seems way too bright and comical to pull off any horror elements.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Groovelord Neato posted:

is there any part of the new ghostbusters that could be construed as scary? the library, fridge, and chair scene are all scary in the first movie.

it seems way too bright and comical to pull off any horror elements.

There's a jump scare right at the start and there's a scene in the subway where there a really creepy ghost slowly approaching the Ghostbusters and at first all you can see is his glowing eyes. Small kids might find those scenes a little scary.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

je1 healthcare posted:

Dick Tracy was greenlit probably because of Batman as it was another 1930s detective comic and holy heck how did it get nominated for 7 oscars.

Not only that but it won three Oscars. They'd always planned on making a bunch of sequels but the poo poo hit the fan pretty much immediately after the film premiered.

Beatty has always wanted to do a sequel (even though Disney dropped it after they were disappointed with the first film's reception) but there was an issue with the rights (plus his executive producers were suing him over the movie) which wasn't resolved until 2013. 23 years of legal bullshit must have sucked. Wikipedia has a rundown of all the legal bullshit and reports that Beatty has been talking about a sequel as recently as April this year.

Here's the TV special he made in 2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY

Beatty still hasn't given up on the idea of making more Dick Tracy films.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

natetimm posted:

Milo Yiannopopopolous got in a Twitter fight with Leslie Jones from the new Ghostbusters and it's super gross, hella racist, and makes me feel really bad for her. Milo's bullshit wasn't the worst but the people who flocked to the drama made it way more depressing and extremely inappropriately racist. Way over the line, even for my usual tastes of internet tomfoolery. This summer feels like the US is going to explode if people can't find a way to start treating each other better and stop fighting like slavering dogs over petty bullshit.
Sorry but I can not feel even the slightest bit sorry for someone who WILLINGLY chose to portray a character that is basically a walking minstrel show. By that point, I'm completely out of fucks to give.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

BarkingSquirrel posted:

Sorry but I can not feel even the slightest bit sorry for someone who WILLINGLY chose to portray a character that is basically a walking minstrel show. By that point, I'm completely out of fucks to give.

It's a job and it's the writer's fault for making it that way. All the hate for the new Ghostbusters cast is severely misplaced. It's not your waiter's fault that your food tastes like poo poo, it's the cook's. Your waiter is just trying to get it out there as fast as possible and put on their best face. Same with the actresses in Ghostbusters. Feig and that lovely Mad TV writer are to blame and anyone who tells themselves they wouldn't take a part in that movie for hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars is fooling themselves. If they paid me what they paid Jones I would be in the worst, dumbest movie ever made and go home happy at the end of every day because of the financial freedom it would eventually afford me.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

natetimm posted:

It's a job and it's the writer's fault for making it that way. All the hate for the new Ghostbusters cast is severely misplaced. It's not your waiter's fault that your food tastes like poo poo, it's the cook's. Your waiter is just trying to get it out there as fast as possible and put on their best face. Same with the actresses in Ghostbusters. Feig and that lovely Mad TV writer are to blame and anyone who tells themselves they wouldn't take a part in that movie for hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars is fooling themselves. If they paid me what they paid Jones I would be in the worst, dumbest movie ever made and go home happy at the end of every day because of the financial freedom it would eventually afford me.

Considering his reputation, I'm willing to bet that much of the blame can also be placed squarely at Tom Rothman's feet, too. In a just world, people would be flooding Rothman's twitter with Hamtaro hentai, not just because of this movie, but because he deserves that kind of disrespect in general.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Milo also got permabanned from twitter thanks to this latest tirade of racism and sexism against Leslie Jones.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Cowman posted:

Milo also got permabanned from twitter thanks to this latest tirade of racism and sexism against Leslie Jones.

Oh no, not milo

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Cowman posted:

He was fairly obviously trying to get it to happen this time. He's at the RNC holding meetings and pimping himself furiously, and getting banned from Twitter is only going to allow him to gin up idiots even more.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

I have never heard of a single one of those shows. Were they popular? Did they do well?
the answer to both of those questions is "hell no"

http://www.thekindland.com/8-blatant-ghostbusters-ripoffs-they-weren-t-fraid-of-no-1760

the only straight-up ripoffs of Ghostbusters are the first three entries on this list, but if you've ever wondered why the animated show was called "The Real Ghostbusters" and not something like "Ghostbusters: The Animated Series," then this article will answer that question

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Hadaka Apron posted:

It's kind of depressing to see Leslie Jones get praised to high heaven for doing the last thing that anyone in that situation should do.

but lashing out like a caged wolverine at the slightest disagreement or criticism is what mature adult artists should do

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU

just saw this. I really like her channel and am glad the previous thread introduced it to me.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cowman posted:

lol good, that dudes a oval office.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cowman posted:

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Cowman posted:

lol good, that dudes a twat.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats literally his whole job, and they banned him for doing it

hell, the thing he got banned over wasn't even savage (from what i've heard), all he said was "everybody gets hate mail"

of all the dumb poo poo for him to get banned over, that was it? Unless i'm mistaken

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

hell, the thing he got banned over wasn't even savage (from what i've heard), all he said was "everybody gets hate mail"

of all the dumb poo poo for him to get banned over, that was it? Unless i'm mistaken

true. but i think he probaly said kinda racist poo poo to jones and sorta "encouraged" his followers as well. but again twitter is poo poo swill of hypocrisy and shiftiness/shittyness.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
He posted fake tweets of her saying awful poo poo in racist caricature. I'm pretty sure that's what did it.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Sure, give Milo more attention, that worked all the other times they tried it. I still can't believe that people don't know to ignore him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BillmasterCozb posted:

His job is bad and im glad he's banned from doing his job

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

His job is bad and im glad he's banned from doing his job

but this means his less important job is now his full time job (being a journalist), and now he has the perfect topic to talk about

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

maybe he should die then

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

maybe he should die then

he's too valuable to die

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

idk milo may have gone too far this time. not that that would stop his followers

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

natetimm posted:

It's a job
As established at the Nuremberg Trials - that is no excuse.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Milowns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

milo is a cocksmoking bigot and he should have been permabanned months ago

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
Milo is a piece of poo poo and I'm glad he's gone from twitter, but he went out by making Leslie Jones have a meltdown over photoshops of tweets.

There is something very funny watching a dumbass comedian screaming at 5 different photoshops, "THOSE ARENT MY WORDS TWITTER PLEASE DO SOMETHING", Like an old man yelling at clouds for blocking the sun

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Blister posted:

Milo is a piece of poo poo and I'm glad he's gone from twitter, but he went out by making Leslie Jones have a meltdown over photoshops of tweets.

There is something very funny watching a dumbass comedian screaming at 5 different photoshops, "THOSE ARENT MY WORDS TWITTER PLEASE DO SOMETHING", Like an old man yelling at clouds for blocking the sun

I don't like punishing people for not being social media literate because it implies being well versed in social media is a good thing. If it had just been her reposting people tweeting racist things at her I might think slightly differently, because she would just be feeding background noise trolling. In this case though she was simultaneously getting hit with racist poo poo as well as trolls responding to photoshopped tweets of hers as if she was the one being hateful. That is a pretty advanced level trolling for someone not steeped in this to deal with.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I found an archive link for where the twitter abuse came from. Some of the poo poo was brutal. Looks like 8chan is who was actually behind it.

:nws: https://archive.is/PMB1k

It definitely only got as bad as it did due to how she responded in the absolute worst possible way.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
So is milo being held responsible for chan trolls, or did he actual make overtly racist tweets?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Of all the fallout I was expecting over this film I wasn't expecting this. Maybe a few awfully written clickbait articles ala "stupi baby man"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Germstore posted:

So is milo being held responsible for chan trolls, or did he actual make overtly racist tweets?

he encouraged it to an extent and said some pretty lovely things. but i wouldnt say fully responsible though.

XK posted:

I found an archive link for where the twitter abuse came from. Some of the poo poo was brutal. Looks like 8chan is who was actually behind it.

:nws: https://archive.is/PMB1k

It definitely only got as bad as it did due to how she responded in the absolute worst possible way.

yeah i can easily believe that. it sounds like she was sorta trying to rile up some more tweets/reddit posts for the movie "progressiveness" to look good and basically hosed up and kicked the hornets nest too hard. yeah, she is a lovely idiot if that was real DM(her talking about helping feig get more idiots to get pissed off) but i kinda feel bad for her. no one she be exposed to the full net that quick.

• Locked thread