Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
This soft reboot of the Ghostbuster thread is all about Hollywood remakes, do-overs, reboots and unwanted sequels.

We all know Hollywood is a cold, empty shell of what it used to be. (a criminal cess pit used for laundering money and coke) But it's never been more apparent than in the last few years.

Hollywood, like the sticky bandits from Home Alone 2, (Remember that? Expect a reboot with a cameo from Kevin soon ;)) have been dipping their glove made of duct tape into our collective brains and hoping to scoop out a few choice nuggets of nostalgia to feed back to us at an inflated price.

REMEMBER THESE FILMS?

Jurassic Park
Ghostbusters
Independence Day
Terminator
Predator
IT
and Buckaroo Banzai?

Well they're all coming back IN THREE DEE and this is the place to talk about them.

For a kick-off, let's get one thing straight.

THE THING by John carpenter isn't a remake of "The Thing from Another World", buster. It's a more straight adaptation of the book, "Who Goes There."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Remaking Mr. Smith Goes To Washington only with Donald Trump as the title character.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I liked the original cast of this thread a lot better, the new cast sucks

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It's more diverse yet lacks the bite and the cutting satire of the original, true. But just turn you're brain off and it's an alright distraction.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Give me a remake of Brainscan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109327/

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Looking forward to the remake of Enemy Mine with Melissa McCarthy and a frito pie

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

remake MVP but w kevin hart

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
are they really doing a new predator??

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Nation posted:

yeah, it's called THE Predator. Shane Black is writing it and didn't he help co-write the original? And that's why there was a huge geek in this band of hardened bad-asses because he was on set writing it as they went?

Fingers crossed it'll be good.

Would anyone consider PREDATORS to be a pseudo remake of the first? because you have the big dude with the mini-gun and the proud dude with a bladed weapon who goes one on one with a Pred at the end...

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

didn't they rlready do a new predator with adriend grody lol jk brody

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nation posted:

i assumed alien vs predator killed it forever

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Nation posted:

i hope so and i hope its women and they are all v. buff+bald where appropriate for the latter

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
maybe get gina carano saying slack jawed human being

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Besides Event Horizon and Mortal Kombat anything Paul W.S. Anderson touches turns to sub-par dreck. His name is the death knell for any interesting sounding franchise.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

megathread megathread megathread megathread megathread

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

omg they always gently caress up predator movies except that one where they go to the jungle planet that was p cool

Rutibex posted:

i assumed alien vs predator killed it forever

yea

Shaquin posted:

i hope so and i hope its women and they are all v. buff+bald where appropriate for the latter

i do not respond to 'trolls'

Drunken Baker posted:

yeah, it's called THE Predator. Shane Black is writing it and didn't he help co-write the original? And that's why there was a huge geek in this band of hardened bad-asses because he was on set writing it as they went?

Fingers crossed it'll be good.

Would anyone consider PREDATORS to be a pseudo remake of the first? because you have the big dude with the mini-gun and the proud dude with a bladed weapon who goes one on one with a Pred at the end...

is this the one i was talking about

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Flesh Forge posted:

I liked the original cast of this thread a lot better, the new cast sucks

Many posters form the old thread will have a cameo, don't worry.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Nation posted:

is this the one i was talking about

Yeah Adrian brody and the kid from that 70s show find Laurence Fishburn in a gutter and he's insane and they have dog aliens.

It was pretty good from what I remember... Which is not much, so i should watch it again.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

hell yeah that movie is good

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

snow dogs but instead of huskies all the actors from policea cademy

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

It is pretty good.

Even the Japanese dude sword scene was... not cringe-inducing, which is quite a feat.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

everyone should accept that mystery, alaska is the best movie

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou-Ub3WX2XI

lol u cant remake this tho

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
They need to remake Harry Potter and give it to Wes Anderson to direct. Bill Murray as Dumbledore, Angelica Houston as McGonagall and Owen Wilson as Snape. Ben Stiller as Harry Potter.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Applewhite posted:

They need to remake Harry Potter and give it to Wes Anderson to direct. Bill Murray as Dumbledore, Angelica Houston as McGonagall and Owen Wilson as Snape. Ben Stiller as Harry Potter.

I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't watch this.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Anyone surprised that Gene didn't even bother specifying a reason for closing the old thread?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Didn't they already do that and made the girl black or something and the potter fans went apeshit?

edit: Googled it. It's a play or some poo poo. lol who cares about stage plays. hello? It's called CGI, dudes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Germstore posted:

I'm not going to pretend I wouldn't watch this.

I would watch the poo poo out of it. Especially for the scene with the cutaway model of Hogwarts Castle where the narrator talks about the secret passages and dorms and other vital statistics while tiny students walk around on the model stairs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nation posted:

i do not respond to 'trolls'

I ain't afraid of no trolls!

/steps on gas pedal, peels out of thread

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
A Fistful of Dollars is a remake of Yojimbo and isn't as good, but it gave Sergio Leone his career which is a good thing.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Applewhite posted:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Hitchcock remade his own film and made it better.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Hadaka Apron posted:

Anyone surprised that Gene didn't even bother specifying a reason for closing the old thread?

i'm sure he will give some befuddled response like "oh i didn't realize it was still so active" or something along those lines like his got thread spoilers in the title response

ungh i'm old guys just bear with me

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE

now it feels like home

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

YEAH! Now we're talking again.

Also that MTV Ghostbuster review was the worst thing penned by anybody living or dead. Hahaha.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Shaquin posted:

maybe get gina carano saying slack jawed human being

Can they even get away with saying that in these new PC easily offended days that we live in? We need Archie Bunker and Al Bundy to come back

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Everything sucks now. Big budget movies are almost impossible to gently caress up if you shove enough ads in people's faces. Although when a bomb does skip through it can be hilarious, like Jupiter Ascending.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nicholas Winding Refn's Young Einstein

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

They should remake Major League with Amy Schumer, Melissa McCarthy, and fill out the cast with SNL alumni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The guardian said the new ghostbusters was like star wars 7 which i assume means disappointing and forgettable

• Locked thread