Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

xzzy posted:

I woulda done it with my 10-22.
And Werner Herzog would have narrated your passage down that bear's esophagus.

Here's a Roosevelt elk grazing to bulk up for the rut.

elk-tongue by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
A curious Caribou near Fort McMurray last weekend. Given what's changed there this week, I hope he's moved on to less-flaming pastures.
Saline April 2016 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Saline April 2016 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

A couple of Dolphins have moved into the harbour.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Boundary Bay Bee by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ExecuDork posted:

A curious Caribou near Fort McMurray last weekend. Given what's changed there this week, I hope he's moved on to less-flaming pastures.
Saline April 2016 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Saline April 2016 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Stay safe, curious caribou.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Went to my favorite natural science center today (aka the discount zoo).

Tripod by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Bobcat by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrps!

Sceloporus olivaceus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Agkistrodon contortrix laticinctus by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yellowstone over the weekend. Wildlife was amazing, photography was good but not my best visit. One problem was the lighting. Other problem was that I went with two cameras- 6D + 70-300L and for the reach, 60D + Tamron 150-600 (which I switched to my 8-16mm when checking out the geysers). I've not really used the Tamron on my older body before, and it doesn't seem to do as well as it does on the 6D- not just AF-wise but resolution also. I'll stop whining because it was Yellowstone...

Yellowstone Coyote-6838 on Flickr

Bear and cub-6350 on Flickr

Black Bear cubs-6976 on Flickr

Yellowstone Red Fox-7362 on Flickr

Bighorn-6394 on Flickr

Lamar Bison-7244 on Flickr

Bison Calf and mom-6588 on Flickr

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Prydlig pärlemorfjäril by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

Pearl-bordered fritillary

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The cheetah cubs are getting big, and three or four of them decided to play with their food instead of eating it. Or rather, they didn't figure out there was enough for everybody.

Any comments or suggestions? It was a bit difficult keeping track of all of them, so quite often one would run into the frame from an unexpected direction. I'm not sure whether I should leave those in there as action shots, or try and cut them out, or toss them, and only keep ones with am integral number of cubs visible. Alternatively would it look better if I cut off more of the partially visible cheetahs?

I wish I had more DOF here, but with the required shutter speed I was already getting to quite high ISO.

I have an entire series here, but this is the only one where I didn't cut off the left one. Each following image has the front ones behind/tail where her head used to be in the previous image.

E: Decided to add the more actiony one as well. Here I'm wondering whether cutting off a bit of the left would improve it:

The leftmost one just came out of nowhere, and overtook the one behind her even though the other two were already going at estimated 30+ kph.

And a bonus leopard photo, with a fugly background:

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 28, 2016

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Stopped to shoot some blackbirds against the yellow canola fields, and this guy's head popped up right in front of me.

Ika posted:

The cheetah cubs are getting big, and three or four of them decided to play with their food instead of eating it. Or rather, they didn't figure out there was enough for everybody.

Any comments or suggestions? It was a bit difficult keeping track of all of them, so quite often one would run into the frame from an unexpected direction. I'm not sure whether I should leave those in there as action shots, or try and cut them out, or toss them, and only keep ones with am integral number of cubs visible. Alternatively would it look better if I cut off more of the partially visible cheetahs?

I think the quoted shot is probably your best shot so far in this thread. For the group shots I would recommend getting a bit more room in your shots. You're capturing some great action!

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
We had a family trip to Orsa Rovdjurspark (Orsa Predator Park), a Zoo.

Orsa Orsa Rovdjurspark by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Snail by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Here's a squirrel eating a bird.

_DSC5860.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

For something completely different, this time one of the cheetah cubs is going from left to right.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

A river otter mother brought its pup to practice fishing in Arcata Marsh the other day.

pup-splash2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

mother-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-follow by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-follow2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Saddamnit posted:

Here's a squirrel eating a bird.

_DSC5860.jpg by Tom Alberi, on Flickr

WHAT
THE
gently caress

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Zoo trip yesterday, spent a good amount of time with the ladies at the falconry display and I might have an invite to come and photograph at a local falconry school too.

Kosice Zoo-73.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kosice Zoo-51.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kosice Zoo-70.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Kosice Zoo-124.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dick Trauma posted:

WHAT
THE
gently caress
Squirrels are rats with furry tails. No mammal is truly vegetarian (mother's milk pedantry aside), anything furry will happily have blood running down its face given the opportunity. Chipmunks apparently are important predators of Warblers, and high-grade by eating the brains first when they raid a nest with hatchlings. Cute and Fuzzy is highly compatible with Bloodthirsty.

The same goes for most birds - they're just the descendents of dinosaurs too hard-core to be killed by something as trifling as a world-shaking comet impact.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ExecuDork posted:

Squirrels are rats with furry tails. No mammal is truly vegetarian (mother's milk pedantry aside), anything furry will happily have blood running down its face given the opportunity. Chipmunks apparently are important predators of Warblers, and high-grade by eating the brains first when they raid a nest with hatchlings. Cute and Fuzzy is highly compatible with Bloodthirsty.

The same goes for most birds - they're just the descendents of dinosaurs too hard-core to be killed by something as trifling as a world-shaking comet impact.

I'm always surprised people don't realize that squirrels eat meat. They'll eat bugs, birds, mice, smaller squirrels, etc... The same surprise when people learn chickens will eat a mouse whole.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

torgeaux posted:

The same surprise when people learn chickens will eat a mouse whole.

For that matter, chickens will happily eat you given the opportunity.

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

Untitled by Ryan Sees What, on Flickr

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

There is a new siberian tiger at the local zoo, and I'm told he didn't have a moat at his old home. He spent an hour or two eyeing the water and putting a paw in it and eventually went for a swim

Hissing at the water, "What is this witchcraft?"

Cue the jaws theme:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ika posted:

There is a new siberian tiger at the local zoo, and I'm told he didn't have a moat at his old home. He spent an hour or two eyeing the water and putting a paw in it and eventually went for a swim

Hissing at the water, "What is this witchcraft?"

Cue the jaws theme:

Tigers need moats?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a good photograph but I like the 'lunchtime' feel. (Coincidentally this was taken like a day after, and just down the road, from the kid getting chomped by the gator at Disney. Presumed this place would've been empty of kids that day!)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

VelociBacon posted:

Tigers need moats?

Need? No. But they like to swim, so it doesn't hurt

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

How about another cheetah?

Not completely sure if the cropping is good, or if I should have left more on the left and bottom, with some more dirt flying and then the head would be more centered.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Grizzly Bear by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Marmot by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
A friend of mine is working for a marine tour company in Seward, Alaska this summer, and I went up to visit her. We got to go on a 8 1/2 hour glacier cruise, and saw lots of really cool things. It's insanely beautiful there. Here's the animals I saw. (I also took lots of pictures of birds, see the bird thread).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

I'm the guy about to fire his pop-up flash at a bear.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe this wasn't already a law. Parks Canada bans use of telemetry gear by photographers.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Cool, now apply the same fine to people with offleash dogs in national parks tia

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Cool, now apply the same fine to people with offleash dogs in national parks tia
Sweet Jesus, yes. I don't remember the last time I've been to a state/national park or the local wildlife refuge without running into an off-leash dog.

More otters from Arcata Marsh.

otter-pops by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-splash2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

otter-pipefish-chew by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I just got my first telephoto zoom lens, so I can finally take reasonably effective photos of animals! These are from my first time trying it at the zoo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fantastic images!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

She was lying in the shadows, and decided to stick her head out into the bright sunlight for a couple of minutes before going back to sleep.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

feast by cha_reckoning, on Flickr
Saw some kind of bug eating some other kind of bug.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
hehe by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Mods, make this the Dorkroom background.

slug-hello by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

slug-spider by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

mother-and-pup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

mother-and-pupts by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:stare: :stonk: :catstare: :stare: :stare: somebody add otter whiskers to these tia