Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Eletriarnation posted:

I wish I had known that the small Zotac cards would pop up as in stock during the afternoon. I got up 2 hours after launch this morning and saw that everything on Newegg/Amazon was already sold out. I figured that was the end for a week or so, so I said gently caress it and ordered an FE despite it being almost too long to fit in my case and not really wanting a blower cooler. Now I see that I could have gotten what I wanted for $20 less, but it's too late unless I want to just order both and try to flip the FE.

return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

jabro posted:

I got one of the LG 34" 1080p ultrawide monitors on Prime Day. It is Freesync so thought about getting a RX 480 to take advantage of it since my 770ti is making me drop my graphics lower than I like. Since they are out of stock until whenever is freesync a good enough of a thing where I should wait instead of getting a 1060 now?

Fury cards were on sale for $275 this morning, you are way better off with those instead of a RX480 for 1080p (even ultrawide)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Fury cards were on sale for $275 this morning, you are way better off with those instead of a RX480 for 1080p (even ultrawide)

If they show up again at that price before the 480 AIBs, I'm probably jumping on that poo poo. At this rate it feels like the 480 partner cards will ship sometime around this side of never and then take a few months to even have appreciable stock. :smith:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I was kinda on the fence about getting a 480 or 1060 here in Australia. I bit the bullet on Friday and bought an XFX reference expecting the 1060s to hit $500 price point.

I'm glad I actually did that as for $120 more expensive for a slight bump in performance is straight up bullshit.

Anyway I can now run Witcher 3 with everything on bar hair works at 60fps so I'm very happy.

Thanks for all the years busted rear end 5770.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alereon posted:

That only works on still images, for moving images like video or games jaggies remain distracting even at high resolutions because you see "temporal aliasing", which manifests as shimmer or sparkling. The only way to fix this is to filter out detail smaller than the pixels of the display. One way to do this is to supersample and scale down, the other way is to subsample and scale up. The latter is much faster and often works almost as well.
Seems like it would work exactly like supersampling though, except that instead of taking an average and discording the original pixels, they're all displayed. You just can't see them individually because they're too small, assuming a high enough DPI. Which is a problem if your 4k screen is >40", then you're hosed :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Twerk from Home posted:

Are you only considering PC here? I'm not meaning to start a stupid fanboy war here, but within a year the 4K consoles are going to be out, and you had better believe MS and Sony are going to browbeat their developers into hitting that 4K native res at all costs, whether it's framerate or avoiding expensive post-processing or what.

4K gaming is perfectly feasible right now, at 40-60 FPS!

There's simply no way a console with a RX480 GPU with roughly the performance of a reference 970 is going to be able to do native 4K, even at a 30fps target. We're talking roughly 22fps at 4K in most games, and that's going to be a noticeably rough experience even for console plebs.

Leaked docs show that developers are already having trouble hitting playable framerates at 4K and upscaling of some form will likely be used. Sony is recommending checkerboard rendering.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

EdEddnEddy posted:

One thing about SLI. I remember reading up on 3DFX and their VooDoo chips right before they got bought out. The Voodoo 5 6000 had 4 of those VESA-100 chips and technically, with the tech the chips brought, they could stack as many of them as you could mount on a board and connect together (which sounded like a nightmare above 4 and had issues all over with AGP being what it was). But when everything worked, they scaled rather well.

I believe this is pretty much what AMD is looking to do with Navi (what comes after Vega). They develop just one fairly small, low powered die(think RX 470) and then use an interposer to combine multiples of the die into a single chip.

The lowest tier card would just have 1 die w/ no interposer and then the more powerful cards would just have 2, 4, 8, etc dies and the interposer would present them all to the computer as just one chip. This would theoretically let them scale up however big they needed to achieve whatever performance level they wanted without having to develop a whole new chip.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

There's simply no way a console with a RX480 GPU with roughly the performance of a reference 970 is going to be able to do native 4K, even at a 30fps target. We're talking roughly 22fps at 4K in most games, and that's going to be a noticeably rough experience even for console plebs.

Leaked docs show that developers are already having trouble hitting playable framerates at 4K and upscaling of some form will likely be used. Sony is recommending checkerboard rendering.

I didn't realize that checkerboard rendering was an upscaling technique, because those slides talk about passing 3200x1800 images TO the upscaler. I'm really curious how this looks in motion!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Yeah, I thought about it but by the time I revisited the page they were out of stock. It's not a big deal, I was mostly just irritated at how everything else sold out in an hour. I haven't seen any reviews complaining about the noise of the FE and at least one directly said it was quiet, so if the worst that happens is paying an extra 20 bucks and having to move a hard drive I'll be OK.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I thought about it but by the time I revisited the page they were out of stock. It's not a big deal, I was mostly just irritated at how everything else sold out in an hour. I haven't seen any reviews complaining about the noise of the FE and at least one directly said it was quiet, so if the worst that happens is paying an extra 20 bucks and having to move a hard drive I'll be OK.

I'm surprised stock lasted that long tbh

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

Seems like it would work exactly like supersampling though, except that instead of taking an average and discording the original pixels, they're all displayed. You just can't see them individually because they're too small, assuming a high enough DPI. Which is a problem if your 4k screen is >40", then you're hosed :v:
The key is that the human eye can see artifacts in moving images extremely clearly. 4K is enough to fix it for still images but not games or video. You're basically saying "let's make pixels small enough that the optics of the human eye due the filtering for us" which is a nice idea but just ridiculously wasteful and impractical. That's not a dig at you or anything this is an extremely common idea and the reason it doesn't work aren't at all obvious, because moving images work fundamentally differently than still images.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd just like to point out that, though the human eye has difficulty determining the difference between individual pixels at ~300dpi, it still notices the added detail of higher dpi screens. The effect is more subtle, but it is real. For the foreseeable future,I think it's fair to say we won't hit the point of"no benefit".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
On AA and high DPI:

DPI alone is not enough until you have quite ridiculously small pixels. Because of the way computer graphics work, there are features that will always be smaller than any one pixel (like polygon edges). Those features, in motion, produce speckle and other artifacts that are very noticeable. 4k isn't nearly enough.

On the other side, high DPI plus temporal or shader-based AA is nice because the new forms of AA have some quality-loss issues. They have very good & clever algorithms to do the best job they can, but there's still some blur and detail loss. With a high DPI screen you don't need as heavy of filtering, and you start off with more detail so a bit of blur can stay hidden. So for modern FX/TX/MX/SMAA the best results are a high res, high-dpi screen at native res and just enough AA that you don't notice any aliasing / edge artifacts.

Old MSAA was better for smoothing edges and speckle without blurring textures or text (especially when they got AA on transparent textures, which was its main weakness back in the day). But it's not compatible with the way the games render now. Also it had an acceptable performance hit for 1080p or less, but it's main cost is in memory bandwidth and that cost goes up linearly with more pixels.

wicka posted:

i would like to hear more about this bc the gsync premium is really the only thing stopping me from buying a new monitor rn

if you play SP games and so don't care about the lowers ms of latency, 144hz with vsync is pretty good. Even if the GPU isn't keeping up with all 144 frames per second, you have plenty of room miss a refresh and still be updating the screen at a nice high rate.

Gsync or freesync do still offer visible quality improvements, like making character animation smoother (because animation frames won't get out of sync). IMHO that's low on the list of things I care to throw money at.

The thing is, if the gsync premium is holding you back, you should also look carefully at image quality before you snap up a cheap 144hz monitor. I'm still using a 60hz IPS because at my price level I wasn't enthusiastic about the color & image of cheap 144hz screens. I care more about a good monitor for general-purpose use than just for games.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
>>>high res looks good

For real though, 1080p looks bad after you own something higher than that for a while. Like actually bad. There is no doubt and it is not circle jerking lol

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
GTX 1060 in Explicit Multi-Adapter mode takes the AOTS performance crown from the 1080, and delivers CF RX480 a nut shot on the way by.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Neat, would be really nice in an alternate universe where developers under DX12 would actually bother with this to a significant degree, but I think support will be exceedingly rare outside of more PC-centric developers who really want to promote their title in benchmark sites.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This needed to be shared:

[s]edit: Never mind. Imgur is ded right now, but somehow the embedded images in the reddit post still work:[s]

editedit: Imgur not hosed anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupportgore/comments/4t8vlu/i_did_a_horrible_thing/

They used thermal adhesive, not thermal compound when repasting their 480.

Laughed out loud at this. Wow.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Klyith posted:

If you're looking at the 480/1060 decision, I'd only could the 480 as having future proof potential if you think you're gonna keep it for a good long time. If you're buying cheap because you buy a video card every generation, it doesn't matter.
It feels like Im going to end up being in that category. My last real card was an HD 4850 that lasted me 7 years before burning itself to a crisp in warframe.
The only nagging doubt I have left is heat. I'm running out of an evga hadron case and pretty much have to use a blower version.

Is there any real chance that either card gets a good blower model?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

>>>high res looks good

For real though, 1080p looks bad after you own something higher than that for a while. Like actually bad. There is no doubt and it is not circle jerking lol

It looks fine because I'm not brain damaged

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Reicere posted:

It feels like Im going to end up being in that category. My last real card was an HD 4850 that lasted me 7 years before burning itself to a crisp in warframe.
The only nagging doubt I have left is heat. I'm running out of an evga hadron case and pretty much have to use a blower version.

Founder's cards are good blowers, but really even the most very basic 250$ blower card will be plenty on a 1060.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Enigma posted:

Thank you! Sorry, just a little nervous about my first foray into building and a touch overwhelmed by the number of options.

You'll be ok man, it's not as hard as you're imagining. Picking the components is the hardest part, but don't worry about GPUs in general, the build quality across manufacturers is really good these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what your guys' experiences with the tiny compact cards like this and this? one of my friends is looking at 1060s but he's a little put off by the compact ones, mainly bc it seems like the smaller heatsink would be worse at cooling and thus lead to appreciably lower overclocks.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Overclocked 1060 EMA beats stock clock 450 CF.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

wicka posted:

what your guys' experiences with the tiny compact cards like this and this? one of my friends is looking at 1060s but he's a little put off by the compact ones, mainly bc it seems like the smaller heatsink would be worse at cooling and thus lead to appreciably lower overclocks.

the founders edition cards seem to overclock just fine and they have the bare minimum cooling, those cards are fine as long as you have a decent case fan setup to get the hot air out of the case since they're internal exhaust

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Please bear with the fact that it's from Gamespot, this is one of the BEST demonstrations of what 4K does for gaming that I have ever found on the internet, and it involves demonstrating diagonal lines at various resolutions... in photoshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UcBwsQTwwI&t=109s

The explanation carries all the way through to 4:10 where the explain how you can get away with no anti-aliasing at all, if you've got enough resolution.

In short: More pixels mean less jaggies, because each individual pixel is a much smaller part of an overall line or edge, so the "stair effect" is reduced. This means you can turn AA down or off entirely and reclaim the power you'd normally use for it. This power can then be put towards texture quality or effects or whatever.

Ehh but you are still shading 4x as many pixels, basically doing 4x MORE work than at 1080 and even doing more than 1080@4xMSAA. The smallest reproducible feature aspect is really the big deal, not any theoretical savings by trading MSAA for higher res - especially because things like deferred sharing become untenable at 4k (for now).

Alereon posted:

That only works on still images, for moving images like video or games jaggies remain distracting even at high resolutions because you see "temporal aliasing", which manifests as shimmer or sparkling. The only way to fix this is to filter out detail smaller than the pixels of the display. One way to do this is to supersample and scale down, the other way is to subsample and scale up. The latter is much faster and often works almost as well.

Subsampling + Upscaling will make temporal aliasing worse, not better.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Has there been any new info on the RX 470? That was the card I was the most interested in, but it seems like nothing's been said since the 480 came out.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Toebone posted:

Has there been any new info on the RX 470? That was the card I was the most interested in, but it seems like nothing's been said since the 480 came out.

Welcome to the world of AMD marketing: soul-crushing silence.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

wicka posted:

I asked earlier and the answer is the 1060 PCB is real stubby and there's a lot of needless extra overhang on the coolers to keep similar form factor to the 70 & 80. Those EVGA cards are just cutting that extra real estate that isn't getting optimal use and should run/cool the same.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Edit: whoops

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Any of the reputable tech sites put together a 1070/1080 AIB roundup yet? I'm waiting for one of those before I drop the hilariously inflated Canadian dollars on a 1070

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Are 1080s still impossible to find w/o getting price gouged? Are we at the point where I can reliably obtain a non-founders edition for sticker price from an online retailer? What about 1070s?

Who makes the best version of each card?

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

The mini EVGA 1060 looks perfect for my little PC case and at AUD409 it's even cheaper than some of the reference RX480s but they've already sold out at one of the only stores that have it here :<

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Reicere posted:

Oh man I don't know what to do in that case. Does that case really absolutely need a blower video card? It seems to have lots of bottom to top ventilation flow. Is is because there's something in the way under the card?

* The reference 480's blower is really complete crap, even for a blower. Just not enough fin surface for a 150w card. Look at this early 2000s example of a heatsink. No heatpipes, no copper. People getting them in here have generally indicated plans to slap on a $30 artic cooler to compensate, because they have no patience.

* Maybe some later OEM 480s will have a blower that doesn't suck? No info though, and we won't find out for weeks looks like.

* Non-founder 1060s come in blower models, possibly even for the MSRP $250 price. I'd bet the blower in that is basically the same as the founder's edition, just with a plain shroud. Wait for the stampede to clear, or camp on nowinstock.

* At $300 you can get the FE 1060 right now, or look around for the super discount blower-equipped Fury like someone upthread got. Fury would consume like 100 more watts but at least it has a good heatsink to deal with it. (Also supposedly the big radeons like 390x and Fury could use the driver panel to set power targets lower with fairly minimal performance hit.) FE 1060 is unexciting at the higher price, and getting a $300 inventory-clearance Fury would need luck.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Any opinions on this card? The price is right, but no reviews + blower is giving me pause.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Any opinions on this card? The price is right, but no reviews + blower is giving me pause.

It's an ASUS blower card, it's the definition of "ok". But:

You can get it for $385 using this promo code:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8943303-asus-gtx-1070-turbo-385-s-h-newegg?page=2

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
So I really can have a 980 with a TDP of 120W and 6GB RAM for 280$ now? Yes, please. This upgrade was worth waiting for.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

>>>high res looks good

I believe you, it's just that the hardware needed to power those higher-resolution monitors (especially 4K) isn't quite there yet. The GTX 1080 is the most powerful card that exists right now, and even that struggles to reach 60 fps at 4K in some games. If you have to invest in an expensive 4K monitor and one of the highest-end graphics cards, that cost is prohibitively high for most people. I don't have the numbers on hand, but I would be surprised if more than 5% had a monitor with a higher resolution than 1080p.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It is in fact lower than 5% if steam hardware survey is to be believed. 1080p is finally getting some ground on 1366x768 though

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

It is in fact lower than 5% if steam hardware survey is to be believed. 1080p is finally getting some ground on 1366x768 though

There's a lot of lovely $300 Walmart laptops with 1366x768 screens out there. That's really one of the big problems with the Steam hardware survey, they don't really attempt to separate out desktops and laptops in any way. They should both be included, but it's pretty difficult to try and interpret results with that much chaff thrown in there. The people with a low-end laptop SKU may play candy crush or whatever, but they're not really relevant to someone like a FPS developer who wants to know what gaming hardware or monitor resolutions should be targeted. The most you can do is look at percentages of things like 1080p-or-greater monitors or x70/x80/x90 GPUs that indicate non-laptop hardware and compare relative to other non-laptop percents.

I would also love to have a de-identified or anonymized sample of the data to play with. Or there's a thing you can do where you inject statistically-equivalent noise into the population so it's not quite identical to the real people but produces statistically similar results to the real thing.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Can someone help me fix my problem installing AMD drivers for the 1st time. So I bought an r9 390 to use until the Rx 480 comes out. When I go to install the latest Crimson driver, the AMD installer gets stuck at 2% currently installing AMD install manager. I disabled my virus scanner but nothing helps.