Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

goodness posted:

If you are going to practice a hero, please do it vs AI or practice range. The hard AI are better than most people anyway.

Why? Practice range is good for getting the mechanics down but a real match is gonna get you a much better feel for the hero. The AI is super limited and just cheats with perfect aim at hard.

Now that competitive is around, I really don't care how my quick play matches go. I still try to win but they are perfect for getting better at a hero or if I just don't want to deal with the stress factor of comp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

goodness posted:

If you are going to practice a hero, please do it vs AI or practice range. The hard AI are better than most people anyway.

I tried vs AI back during the beta. Back then the bots never switched up heroes, the players never really coordinated much (It's just Vs AI dude, don't get so serious!) and in general I didn't feel like I was improving much. How much has it improved since then?

The harder bots just seemed to get better aim, and didn't really seem to do a whole lot in terms of innovative tactics. It was a much poorer experience than actually going against and along with other people,

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Man, I'm feeling the Hanzo nerfs. He's not unusable, really, but I was doing very well with him pre-patch and now it's way less consistent. I've only noticed one game where it really felt off (swear to god arrows passing through heads at 20 feet doing nothing), but I'm probably getting fewer random hits too.

But it could also be a total placebo effect. Hard to be sure.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Internet Kraken posted:

Why? Practice range is good for getting the mechanics down but a real match is gonna get you a much better feel for the hero. The AI is super limited and just cheats with perfect aim at hard.

Now that competitive is around, I really don't care how my quick play matches go. I still try to win but they are perfect for getting better at a hero or if I just don't want to deal with the stress factor of comp.

Why? Because it's not a solo game and wasting others time to practice is lame. Sure you need a match against people to get some experience, but a lot of the basics, move mechanics and firing can be done in practice. Too many people playing characters they've never even looked at the moves.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Playing against AI is going to teach you jack poo poo unless you literally do not know what your character's abilities are.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

goodness posted:

Why? Because it's not a solo game and wasting others time to practice is lame. Sure you need a match against people to get some experience, but a lot of the basics, move mechanics and firing can be done in practice. Too many people playing characters they've never even looked at the moves.

I'm pretty sure when people say they are practicing a hero they don't mean "I have literally never picked this before and have no idea what their abilities do". They are just trying to refine their skill with that hero until they reach a level they are comfortable with.

Like, I'm practicing Ana in quick play but I know how all her skills work. I just don't have a good feel for when to use them and need to improve my aim with her. If that bothers you then you need to chill out.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Me and a buddy just got matched against a premade of rank 73-76s in quick play, playing 3 mccree 3 ana. It was completely ridiculous. They just deleted people with constant mccree headshots and never died.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I love fighting people who think Zenyatta is still made of glass now and try to fake me out by turning a corner, oblivious that I can see them orbed through a wall and that I'm charging my secondary fire in anticipation.

Zenyatta is so much fun now. My only issue is that people think he's like a dedicated healer or something. Somebody told me that apparently he heals faster than Mercy, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ana tips:

Hip-firing is more effective 99% of the time. You might think that Ana is a sniper, but she's a sniper in the same was Hanzo is, on paper only. Ana has to stick very close to her team to be effective at healing and if you stay at the back, you're doing it wrong.

Use your biotic grenades offensively. Ana shouldn't be the main healer, so you should have more leeway when it comes to using them. Preventing the enemy from healing is huge, as if Mercy can't heal, she can't build ult, if she can't build ult, she can't resurrect, if she can't resurrect, you win.

Don't do what 90% of my lovely teams were doing and save Nano Boost for a Reaper ult or whatever, use it whenever you can. Almost all targets are viable, but some are better than others.

^^ I've played several games where there was at least two Anas on our team and I was getting gold healing as Soldier. People literally don't know what the gently caress her abilities are and are still being a huge burden on their teams. Play vs. AI until you realize what she does, for the love of god.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 20, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

goodness posted:

The best thing about it now is hero limits

I (mostly) agree, which means it still suffers from all those other issues which make the overall experience of comp play no more likely to be good or satisfactory than an evening spent in quick play.

goodness posted:

I kind of had a feeling that Blizzard rolling out comp mode would inevitably lead to this but lately it seems like there's this real contradictory attitude surrounding quickplay where it simultaneously does and doesn't matter. Maybe I'm just a dumb casual carebear but "wasting others' time to practice is lame" seems like a pretty lovely way to be to me, especially if comp really is supposed to be the mode that matters. If it's really harshing your enjoyment that much to play with some guy running a sub-par character because he'd rather practice versus people than bots then just quit out, at least quickplay has backfill so you aren't even messing up the game for anyone.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Theta Zero posted:

I love fighting people who think Zenyatta is still made of glass now and try to fake me out by turning a corner, oblivious that I can see them orbed through a wall and that I'm charging my secondary fire in anticipation.

Zenyatta is so much fun now. My only issue is that people think he's like a dedicated healer or something. Somebody told me that apparently he heals faster than Mercy, but it sure doesn't feel that way.

He heals faster than lucio (but only one hero at a time) but slower than mercy.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
One thing I really wish Zen could have is a bag fat bar that pops up on your screen like when you're playing Mercy that tells you how much health the person you've orbed has

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

tofes posted:

One thing I really wish Zen could have is a bag fat bar that pops up on your screen like when you're playing Mercy that tells you how much health the person you've orbed has

There's an audible "healing" noise that gets higher pitched the closer the person you have orbed is to full health. A visual display would be nice, though.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
Why would anyone today play Quick Play?

Competitive is where it's at!!!!

Solo Queue ain't bad and as you rank up people stop doing dumb things!

(Went from 31 to 45 past few days...can't wait to cross the 51 barrier when I'll be above average!!!)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kai Tave posted:

Oh I also forgot that Sudden Death is also really bad, and as bad as infinite overtime with 5x Tracers can be I'd honestly rather have that than a coinflip to see who gets to cheese their way to victory in 90 seconds.

Sudden death is going away for Season 2. They're going to allow for ties, but they're still working on making it not feel like you just wasted your time when they happen. I think they're also going to extend the time bank system to other modes to make ties even less common, but I could be misremembering. This is info from the Ster stream with Blizzard devs if you want to check for yourself.

Ddraig posted:

Use your biotic grenades offensively. Ana shouldn't be the main healer, so you should have more leeway when it comes to using them. Preventing the enemy from healing is huge, as if Mercy can't heal, she can't build ult, if she can't build ult, she can't resurrect, if she can't resurrect, you win.

This isn't bad advice (and the rest of your advice is good too) if you've got any other healer on your team, offensive grenades are great and Ana can really pitch them across the battlefield, but she can absolutely do enough healing to be the main healer by herself with a half decent player.

Mercy heals for 50 health per second with her beam. Ana heals for 75 health a shot and shoots 1.1 rounds per second, putting her pretty close to 75 health per second even considering reload times. It is almost impossible to get a 75 HPS output consistently as Ana since you need to be healing on every shot without hitting the wrong target and without overhealing, but it's not nearly as difficult to get close to and above 50 HPS, at a much longer range than Mercy's beam, with just her rifle.

There are in game considerations, but that's the case for the others as well. Lucio has problems with single target focus damage, Mercy can't deal with any type of AoE damage, while Ana has problems with player displacement, AoE burst damage and requires enough technical skill to land her shots. (Zenyatta and Symmetra aren't main healers.) Edit: As for opportunity cost, that's also true for the others; Lucio has his speed boost and Mercy has her pistol and damage boost.

Unrelated to my above points, there was some suspicion on the PTR that a target with Lucio's sound barrier on them would immediately wake up if put to sleep since the draining of the barrier counted as damage. Does anyone know if this is still the case on live?

Onean fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jul 20, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't want time bank in other modes because time bank is the lamest poo poo. the worst thing in this entire game is playing hanamura 6 times in a row

maybe someday they'll add stopwatch and we won't have to deal with these stopgaps

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think they mentioned they're tweaking time bank as well, though again I could be wrong on that along with being wrong on adding it to other modes, and I can't listen to the video now to check.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

objects in mirror posted:

Why would anyone today play Quick Play?

Competitive is where it's at!!!!

Because I play for boxes?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm 100% okay with Blizzard trying things other than stopwatch, for the absolutely subjective reason that I don't like it. I feel it encourages cheese strategies and leads the majority of matches to anticlimactic endings.

If nobody tries new stuff we'll always use the old and never find something that may work better. For example, I do remember Kaplan saying they were definitely looking at shortening round duration and time between rounds for season 2, which would help with your example of 6 back to back Hanamura rounds. If people don't like the changes for season 2, I'm sure they'll try stopwatch soon.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jul 20, 2016

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Ddraig posted:

^^ I've played several games where there was at least two Anas on our team and I was getting gold healing as Soldier. People literally don't know what the gently caress her abilities are and are still being a huge burden on their teams. Play vs. AI until you realize what she does, for the love of god.

I got gold healing a few games as Ana with multiple Anas and a Zenyatta. I think everyone's too busy trying to pewpew the enemies to heal with their... healer/support character. Since they're slow old grandmas and robots, I was able to snipe/heal them pretty easily from the backline. Shame they never killed anyone though. It was like an Ana v Ana war where the winner was determined by the first team to drop an Ana for an [anything else] and roll the other team. I might try her again in a few weeks when the new car smell has gone away.

E: a streamer (ProudFurry/Navi) saved his points and insta-bought Ana's golden rifle. Quite the bold investment there. Got him more views I guess as he was never high on the view count, but he is at the top now by advertising Ana with golden gun gameplay.

DrSeRRoD fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 20, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

objects in mirror posted:

Since competitive came out I really wonder why anyone bothers to play Quick Play anymore...

Because you don't have to give a gently caress about winning in QP and can just be Sniper #3 or Mei #4 on your team if you drat well please.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The new brawl is a perfect move by blizz because you can have a 6 ana team and nobody will complain

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
how do fix the game not rendering characters in a potg

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The new brawl is a perfect move by blizz because you can have a 6 ana team and nobody will complain
Well, people do, but they're usually laughed down. It's more fun that way.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

The only thing I don't feel like I optimize my use of a lot is the sleeping dart. What's common protocol when you hit someone? Leave them out of commission for a few seconds and just leave, pop off an easy shot immediately and just have them wake up? Usually my teammates are off doing something else to properly capitalize when I put someone to sleep, so the best use I can think for it is using it to save a teammate in a scuffle but that seems like it needs some quick thinking and aim and the grenade seems better suited to that.

this is a couple pages late but the protocol after sleeping someone is to teabag them mercilessly

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Quick Play and Brawl felt identical this week. Lots of Ana and D. Va, with more Ana. There was definitely complaining though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In Honour of McCree's new god emperor status enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9nL6Umrsrg

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

how do fix the game not rendering characters in a potg

If the bug wasn't fixed in the latest patch:

This happens whenever you are watching a highlight and your queue pops. Your potg and killcam will be screwed up.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

What's the new brawl?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Deep Winter posted:

What's the new brawl?

tanks + ana only

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

subx posted:

If the bug wasn't fixed in the latest patch:

This happens whenever you are watching a highlight and your queue pops. Your potg and killcam will be screwed up.

But it does it every time I play and I only look at my highlights sometimes

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
As a Pharah player I"m feeling the effects of everyone else getting buffed. Not saying its terrible, but it seems now instead of being able to fly and have to dodge shots, you just can't fly if they have a McCree or Zen. If they are half way competent, you're dead. McCree is hit scan so he'll 3 shot you before even 2 perfectly timed and aimed rockets will reach him, and Zen can just spew out so much discord and orbs that if he doesn't lucky head shot you, someone else will with the discord orb on.

I still wish Pharah had 25 HP of armor or some such, and maybe its just confirmation bias, but it seems every character got a LOT stronger in the last patch and you have to really watch your rear end now lol. McCree especially, even a bad one will still take off 175 of your hps in a clip before your rockets can even harm him.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

goodness posted:

There's a huge difference between trying to play someone better, and being a useless Genji on your team who thinks he's good but just dies all day.

Also, it's Quick Play. If you're getting mad at someone who'd prefer to practice outside of a competitive mode, you're a crazy person.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Deep Winter posted:

What's the new brawl?

A vision of everlasting hell

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Just play Quick Play for the new brawl mode; same characters, but no xp reduction.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
sorry but McCree + Zen + Ana ending the Age of Egyptian Dominance is A Good Thing, we definitely do not need Pharah buffs

Pharah is about as squishy as her other friends in the Offense category now

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I think I'll play Ana in the brawl the next few tries. I just had my first game with 151 healing per minute, and I'm nice enough to not let my random team mates be 5 vs. 6 even in quick play :negative:

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

As a Pharah player I"m feeling the effects of everyone else getting buffed. Not saying its terrible, but it seems now instead of being able to fly and have to dodge shots, you just can't fly if they have a McCree or Zen. If they are half way competent, you're dead. McCree is hit scan so he'll 3 shot you before even 2 perfectly timed and aimed rockets will reach him, and Zen can just spew out so much discord and orbs that if he doesn't lucky head shot you, someone else will with the discord orb on.

I still wish Pharah had 25 HP of armor or some such, and maybe its just confirmation bias, but it seems every character got a LOT stronger in the last patch and you have to really watch your rear end now lol. McCree especially, even a bad one will still take off 175 of your hps in a clip before your rockets can even harm him.

nah you just can't fly around with impunity anymore. I've had a lot of success playing a more ambush -centric playstyle with pharrah

edit: also even the best mcree can rarely do poo poo if you get good at conc blasting him and then shooting a rocket at where you know he'll land :cool:

e2:

Yami Fenrir posted:

Justice rains from above! ...and behind. Mostly behind.

lol were you playing with me last night I kept getting potg for exactly that

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 20, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

The Walrus posted:

nah you just can't fly around with impunity anymore. I've had a lot of success playing a more ambush -centric playstyle with pharrah

Justice rains from above! ...and behind. Mostly behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
they seem to have nergfed pharrah cards. I haven't gotten a single direct hit card since the patch. just % of team damage when it's over 25%