Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I'm enjoying Palace of the Dead so far. Floors 1-50 aren't supposed to be terribly hard, so it's a nice chill ride. I imagine they'll get a lot tougher and more engaging with the release of further floors and enemies/bosses with serious mechanics, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Chyea posted:

Palace of the Dead is Diadem.

It's not as hideously time consuming and soul crushinging monotonous though. It's not exactly the pinnacle of challenge, but hey, seems like something you can have fun goofing off with buddies doing. Try some sort of dumb theme teams, do a no healers run and see if it's possible to clear.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Really though, Palace has a nice aesthetic and I appreciate what they're trying to do with the content by allowing sub-60s to level with it. However, it has some glaring flaws that I think hold it back from being great. Stuff like RNG silver chests, aetherpool randomly not affecting your gear, and plain trash mobs just make it tedious.

Things I'd change to make it slightly better: Aetherpool stats goes up by 1 automatically each time you clear the 50th floor, halting respawn of mobs with a bonus silver chest if you clear all the mobs on the floor,silver chests take the place of gold chests with gold chests now granting aetherpool stacks and silver giving items (cosmetic change but it doesn't make sense the way it is now), pillars that activate/deactivate floor buffs and debuffs, floors wherein all party members are transformed into creatures for a unique challenge.

Chyea fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 20, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Kinda salty that I literally have to rerun 1-20 with pubbies because I didn't get enough silver chests to raise my gear high enough to go to the next floor. What is the point of that?

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
"it's chill content I can do at an easy pace with friends or while shooting poo poo" is exactly what people said about Diadem also

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Anyway, I'm off it. Palace is fine content that has its purpose, I just wish it broke the mold a little more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope they add PotD to the DF so Quarrymill stops being a clusterfest, but other than that I don't mind it. Duoed with a friend to 20 so far.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
What's the rough exp payout for pre50s? Have a friend coming back soon who wants to level SCH from 35 in it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

I hope they add PotD to the DF so Quarrymill stops being a clusterfest, but other than that I don't mind it. Duoed with a friend to 20 so far.

Duoing seems like a fun idea. I'd love to do that.

I ran outta time this attempt on the level 20 boss solo lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chyea posted:

"it's chill content I can do at an easy pace with friends or while shooting poo poo" is exactly what people said about Diadem also

Well, anything is better than parking in one spot like in Diadem. PotD could stand to use more connections between rooms, the back tracking is kinda tedious.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Chyea posted:

Is it? Because I seem to remember someone saying that hardcore world-first serious business raiders were being forced by S-E to run Diadem in order to optimize their random gear drops and acquire perfectly statted gear in order to be competitive.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kortel posted:

What's the rough exp payout for pre50s? Have a friend coming back soon who wants to level SCH from 35 in it.

I think it gives like 60% of a level per set of 10 floors. I didn't actually keep track of numbers, but I started as a level 35 DRK and did the first 20 floors twice, then 21-30 once, and ended up at level 38.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It seems like it'll be much better once everyone stops trying to do full clears of every map and realize that you only need to kill like 20% of the mobs to actually get to the goal.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Duoing seems like a fun idea. I'd love to do that.

I ran outta time this attempt on the level 20 boss solo lol

WAR/WHM is probably the safest option as far as I can tell. WAR gets an off-GCD stun and damage rises up drastically post-54, WHM has a Sleep option. Clemency on PLD is cool but it gets it way too late. AST's a viable healer option as well due to cards and better sustainability (Spire's great for once on a long boss fight as a tank).

BRD might be a nice pick as well for late dungeon crawling because of its ability to cleanse + status protection every 45s, and Swiftsong lets you race through the dungeon to other rooms if needed. MCH is probably far and away the weakest soloing/duo option.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Got this gem, totally unprompted, after joining a mostly empty LDR in progress (cutter's cry)

some dickhead posted:

[12:59 a.m.](Severinya Q'asari) I only do full clears
[12:59 a.m.](Severinya Q'asari) that is why everyone left
[12:59 a.m.](Severinya Q'asari) they thought we were going too slow
[1:00 a.m.](Severinya Q'asari) I told them, gently caress you, im the tank, you follow me

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I got to floor 19 with a +0 weapon because silver chests refused to drop. That was pretty awful. It was also silly trying to hold hate off a healer with a +13 weapon pre Defiance when a single Stone II generates as much enmity as about two and a half Skull Sunder combos at that weapon level disparity.

What I'm saying is, the silver chests are a bit *too* random.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

hobbesmaster posted:

It seems like it'll be much better once everyone stops trying to do full clears of every map and realize that you only need to kill like 20% of the mobs to actually get to the goal.
It's good to scout out the map for potential silver chests, though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Kinda salty that I literally have to rerun 1-20 with pubbies because I didn't get enough silver chests to raise my gear high enough to go to the next floor. What is the point of that?

I had this happen too, was only +4 on my weapon but +11 on my armor so I went and soloed 1-10 as a SMN and took about 20 minutes but I was probably playing it safer than I needed to. First chest in the starting room on floor 1 boosted my weapon to +6. Where were you and the other dozen or so weapon chests my first run. :argh:

You also can't get above +7 on floors 1-10 apparently, since my +11 armor was yellowed out and once I hit +7 on my weapon all chests failed to upgrade it further.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Got this gem, totally unprompted, after joining a mostly empty LDR in progress (cutter's cry)

Oh boy, a full clear of Cutter's Cry! Well guess I don't have to take any sleeping pills tonight.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Vote dismiss gets far too little use in this game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Please tell me you immediately unequipped all of your gear and told him you were happy to help.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the correct response is "brb changing to rogue"

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Kortel posted:

Rolled in as a naked rogue. Completed floors 1-50 in pugs. Got enough exp to go from 1 to 14. Whole thing took like 4 hours maybe and I got my aether weapon/armor up to 15/16. Not what I would call a leveling tool. Maybe it's better for higher levels. Not sure I want to grind out 30/30

It is fun for those who don't have every class at 50 and just want to see what the base jobs are like I guess. I think my problem is I just expected something a little more involved. As it is reminds me of kickstarter alpha roguelike games. Grats to anyone that enjoys it tho. Any content you enjoy is good content.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Chyea posted:

Really though, Palace has a nice aesthetic and I appreciate what they're trying to do with the content by allowing sub-60s to level with it. However, it has some glaring flaws that I think hold it back from being great. Stuff like RNG silver chests, aetherpool randomly not affecting your gear, and plain trash mobs just make it tedious.

Things I'd change to make it slightly better: Aetherpool stats goes up by 1 automatically each time you clear the 50th floor, halting respawn of mobs with a bonus silver chest if you clear all the mobs on the floor,silver chests take the place of gold chests with gold chests now granting aetherpool stacks and silver giving items (cosmetic change but it doesn't make sense the way it is now), pillars that activate/deactivate floor buffs and debuffs, floors wherein all party members are transformed into creatures for a unique challenge.

Chyea posted:

Anyway, I'm off it. Palace is fine content that has its purpose, I just wish it broke the mold a little more.

Chyea posted:

Chyea posted:

Chyea posted:

I take it back. Palace of the Dead is worse than Diadem.

I was delighted to receive your comments, and was especially pleased to read your kind words about Palace. It made me happy to know you feel at home with with the current content. We too enjoyed getting to know your opinions better.

I have given the problem a lot of thought and hope that my comments will motivate people to take action. To make a difference I will need your continued words of encouragement, feedback, and introspective. Thank you again.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 20, 2016

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
thanks senpai

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
sometimes you're a weird rear end chyea

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

I like this person, its nice to have full clears once in a while

why's everyone in such a hurry~

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, he can do full runs all he wants, even in cutter's cry that's what 3-4 extra pulls?

Being a shitlord about it isn't nice tho. I always do a full run if I'm tank there's an "extra gil/xp for first timer" popup and the map is one of those where going into extra wings gives you the achievement. I say this and I've never had people complain. And often enough the guy with several 60s gets the sastasha achievement in one of the rooms too :v:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cause true level 58 and these mobs are giving me 300 exp a kill :cripes:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
You're referring to the palace?

The actual xp that is used outside potd is rewarded at the end of a 10 floor phase as a duty prize.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Unknown Quantity posted:

POTD feels like they tried to do Aquapolis again but got it all wrong. Aquapolis is the fun kind of endless RNG fest. POTD is like rolling on an encounter table and getting nothing but empty hallways and exploding traps.

It feels like someone got told what a roguelike is and then tried to build a game out of it without considering things like balance.

You get people who are turning into a Manticore and 1 shotting entire floors, while other people can't get onto floor 11 because they have +0/+10, and then other people aren't seeing a silver chest for 5 floors and then the first two they see are a Mimic and one that blows up.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
On that note I fully plan to bail on runs if I get 0 upgrades since I'm 25/25 and it doesn't make sense to clear floor 40-50 unless I have something to show for it, since it's the only thing that really gets me much progress so that's what the design of this place encourages.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Chucat posted:

It feels like someone got told what a roguelike is and then tried to build a game out of it without considering things like balance.

You get people who are turning into a Manticore and 1 shotting entire floors, while other people can't get onto floor 11 because they have +0/+10, and then other people aren't seeing a silver chest for 5 floors and then the first two they see are a Mimic and one that blows up.

I do wish they had gone with a more regular system for upgrading aetherpool weapon and armor, like every floor gives you +1 in one and then +1 in the other or something, so just progressing through the floors will let you keep going. Making people rerun the worst part of the experience, 1-30 or so, is not gonna do anyone any favors.

At the same time, it's almost like clockwork how as soon as a new feature is implemented you can go to the goon thread and it's just full of people making GBS threads on it. At least Chyea admits that the content just wasn't designed for his section of the playerbase. We'll see if it gets hard enough to be interesting in the 150 other promised floors or not, but for now he's probably right about that.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

At the same time, it's almost like clockwork how as soon as a new feature is implemented you can go to the goon thread and it's just full of people making GBS threads on it. At least Chyea admits that the content just wasn't designed for his section of the playerbase. We'll see if it gets hard enough to be interesting in the 150 other promised floors or not, but for now he's probably right about that.

I think people want to find stuff fun as a baseline, most people aren't going into this stuff thinking "Wow I want to hate it". But when it's really random and swingy content, it's really easy to just get a chain of bad experiences that just sours you to it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

At the same time, it's almost like clockwork how as soon as a new feature is implemented you can go to the goon thread and it's just full of people making GBS threads on it.
Did people really react this way about Aquapolis?

Mostly the things people have poo poo on were actually really problematic, i.e. Diadem, Lords of Verminion, and now (debateably) this.

I mean sure I'm poopsocking it harder than people should, but there's not really any good reward scheme to keep me coming back except for the goal of getting to that +30/+30 aetherpool. And that's a pretty disgusting RNG-based grind that includes a big chunk of wasted time (floors 1-30) at the moment.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Basically I am running it to level up my alt jobs and get tomes for relic. If all you want is the weapons I can see PotD becoming a (more) tiresome grind.

Looks like PotD is better received than diadem so we'll actually see it updated. An endless dungeon with actual challenge and rewards sounds like a dope concept.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Imo it is a nice way to learn or re-learn classes without having to deal with the tantrums some ppl throw over imperfect runs in the df

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The independent leveling system is probably actually a big beta test for how they can handle the 4.0 skip and/or jump potion, though obviously with the xp curve tweaked and likely instructions every few levels or with each new skill

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i got far enough through the story on my WAR that i got to the first trial in HW. Yay, new content! I watched the intro cutscene (it was like 15 seconds), and in the meantime let party chat know that i was the bonus-giver.

I get out of the cutscene and see only me and 3 DDs left. Then me and two DDs.

Good to know nothing's changed since ARR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
People quit on Ravana?

Why would anyone sane do that lmao

• Locked thread