Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just want to point out that I love this typo :allears:

Frankly, I find the original Quale far more engaging than Quale 2.

Really would be interested in Brutal Quale.

ive been trying to sift through google and god drat there is not much stuff out there about quake 1 that is still online. im guessing most of that poo poo has dissappeared into the sands of time being literally twenty years old. theres a whole lot of crap for darkplaces but a) darkplaces is poo poo and b) thats not what i want

i managed to find action quake for quake 1, and its half broken and i literally can't figure out the commands to give myself the custom ammo (and all i can find online is action quake 2 :pwn:)

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Kamrat posted:

Well, now I own Duke Nukem Forever... It's all your fault catlord! :bahgawd:

Now make sure you never, ever play it, and things should be fine.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

laserghost posted:

Now make sure you never, ever play it, and things should be fine.

Oh I will, I need to experience this trainwreck for myself. I've heard stories and I need to see if they're true.

It was just a dollar, surely it can't be so bad that it's not even worth that right? right? :ohdear:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kamrat posted:

Oh I will, I need to experience this trainwreck for myself. I've heard stories and I need to see if they're true.

It was just a dollar, surely it can't be so bad that it's not even worth that right? right? :ohdear:

I largely enjoyed it despite its flaws, personally, and for a dollar? I would think you could find at least a dollar worth of enjoyment in there. Plus that gives you The Darkness 2 which I thought was great personally. I still haven't played Spec Ops though.

Also, I think I mentioned this before, but I love your avatar.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The first bundle is worth getting - Spec Ops is great, Darkness 2 is good fun, DNF is enjoyable depending on how much you like Duke and how much you paid for it (which less than a dollar means you've got no reason not to try it if you haven't ever before)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
DNF is a huge disappointment if you managed to maintain a nonzero amount of hype somehow, but is actually just a pretty average FPS with some cool and badass Duke stuff. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Spec Ops is just legit great though, definitely do play that.

nigga crab pollock posted:

ive been trying to sift through google and god drat there is not much stuff out there about quake 1 that is still online. im guessing most of that poo poo has dissappeared into the sands of time being literally twenty years old. theres a whole lot of crap for darkplaces but a) darkplaces is poo poo and b) thats not what i want

i managed to find action quake for quake 1, and its half broken and i literally can't figure out the commands to give myself the custom ammo (and all i can find online is action quake 2 :pwn:)
Try looking on archive.org, not sure if they kept any of the files but at least you might be dig up some old information on commands and stuff.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

DNF is unique in it's badness. It has badly designed levels and unbalanced enemy encounters, incredibly tiny and linear levels with gimmicks like physics-based puzzles, vehicle sections or turrets. Like the worst things from Half-Life 2 and Halo combined. Yet it somehow moves forward, there are no game-stopping bugs or obscure solutions to puzzles, so you kinda go forward thinking "it sure has to pick up at some point". No, it doesn't, you just assault yourself with terrible jokes, disgusting attempts at being sexy and astonishingly bland combat. Mowing lawn has more feedback than guns in DNF.

DNF, unlike "regular" bad 3D shooters, is technically competent. Daikatana has many problems, but with enough good will you can see that with a lot of tweaking it could end as a enjoyable shooter. Typical Halo clones like Breed or Pariah are just mediocre and boring, without anything offensive. drat, even Unreal 2 was competently done, if dull as all hell. But Duke is like a clip show of bad FPS design from last decade, mixed with delusion of grandeur and frat boy machismo. It's painful.

I've heard that multiplayer is decent, though, so you may find someone to play a few matches.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yo does anyone know where I can find a decent looking Arch Vile 3D model? I've been looking around for one and can't find anything. I want to 3D print it.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Battleborn must have sold REALLY poorly if it's already in a bundle for $15.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

even Unreal 2 was competently done
Let's not say things we can't take back, now.

TOOT BOOT posted:

Battleborn must have sold REALLY poorly if it's already in a bundle for $15.
SteamStats claims it's had a peak player count in the past 30 days of just 1,323. For reference, according to Steam's official game charts, 1,580 people are playing Medieval 2: Total War (which is ten years old) right now.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Finally remembered to copy the Wolf3D files to my phone, so now I can play the Android version of ECWolf. Sadly, The Coffee Break Ep.2 doesn't run :( still I have the techdemo episode...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished Final Doom, playing one level every day to ensure I didn't get too burnt out.

I dug most of TNT while I was playing it, but maybe a third of levels went on a bit too long. In my opinion, 15-25 minutes is the ideal playtime for a Doom level and some of these took me upwards of an hour to get through.

HOWEVER, Plutonia fuckin' rocks. There's a real sadistic glee in the way it just tosses giant roomfuls of Revenants at you and expects you to zig and zag your way through their homing rockets. Plutonia also taught me not to be scared of Archviles - once you've mastered their timing they're not so bad to face. And man, Go-2-It is the epitome of :black101:. Defeat a Cyberdemon and open the door behind him and BAM, another Cyberdemon. I made it a point to clear out the level completely, then finish off the final Cyberdemon with the chainsaw.

Now to Doom 64 EX.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

laserghost posted:

Finally remembered to copy the Wolf3D files to my phone, so now I can play the Android version of ECWolf. Sadly, The Coffee Break Ep.2 doesn't run :( still I have the techdemo episode...

The Android versions is almost certainly way behind the latest development build.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Unreal 2 still makes me sad all these years later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

laserghost posted:

DNF, unlike "regular" bad 3D shooters, is technically competent.

No it isn't, the load times were horrendous.

Yodzilla posted:

The SA front page review of it still makes me laugh, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

So speaking of Unreal 2, I remember downloading a leaked prototype of the game way, way back in 2000 or something. It had early scripted sequences and very rough outlines of the levels that would be in the final game.

I can't find anything about it. There's nothing about it on The Cutting Room Floor, am I just crazy?

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

haveblue posted:

No it isn't, the load times were horrendous.

Yeah, before the patch you had enough time to seriously reconsider your life decisions before the level loaded. Or the recent quicksave. On consoles it still seems to be an issue.

Unreal 2 was a horrible sequel to the last classic single-player first person shooter, but a passable game overall. DNF is just horrible. The sheer gall with GBX lied about the features and gameplay style (levels that you could explore, keycard hunt, not limiting the performance to consoles) and the scale of the cuts they made was salt to an already nasty wound.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just finished Final Doom, playing one level every day to ensure I didn't get too burnt out.

I dug most of TNT while I was playing it, but maybe a third of levels went on a bit too long. In my opinion, 15-25 minutes is the ideal playtime for a Doom level and some of these took me upwards of an hour to get through.

HOWEVER, Plutonia fuckin' rocks. There's a real sadistic glee in the way it just tosses giant roomfuls of Revenants at you and expects you to zig and zag your way through their homing rockets. Plutonia also taught me not to be scared of Archviles - once you've mastered their timing they're not so bad to face. And man, Go-2-It is the epitome of :black101:. Defeat a Cyberdemon and open the door behind him and BAM, another Cyberdemon. I made it a point to clear out the level completely, then finish off the final Cyberdemon with the chainsaw.

Now to Doom 64 EX.

Pretty much the same way I felt. TNT was okay and some levels were neatly designed but by the last third of the game I kind of wanted it to be over. At least the first secret level was cool as all hell. Plutonia was non-stop action and was awesome, even the gimmick levels were awesome. I really should check out Plutonia Revisited and Plutonia 2 but my backlog of more modern games kind of put everything in a hiatus once I got to playing through Quake 1.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

nigga crab pollock posted:

ive been trying to sift through google and god drat there is not much stuff out there about quake 1 that is still online.

Are you looking for something that's not on quaddicted.com? I guess it's not obvious how to get past the SP map reviews and just browse the file dump... FYI you can go directly to https://www.quaddicted.com/files/ and dig around from there.

Also quakewiki.net has some of the PlanetQuake sites archived: http://www.quakewiki.net/planetquake-archives/

I know that Spirit (guy running Quaddicted) has also uploaded tons of stuff to archive.org, but it seems to be down currently.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

SwissCM posted:

So speaking of Unreal 2, I remember downloading a leaked prototype of the game way, way back in 2000 or something. It had early scripted sequences and very rough outlines of the levels that would be in the final game.

I can't find anything about it. There's nothing about it on The Cutting Room Floor, am I just crazy?

Yeah that definitely happened. People dug around in the files, for some reason the only thing I remember was that the phrase "promote the goat" was associated with it, probably because of it was a trade show build.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SwissCM posted:

That's definitely out there. All I remember of it was that it was before they'd implemented their own weird custom animation system (Golem I think it was called) so the models still used standard UE2 formats.

Man, remember when people were calling that engine version Unreal Warfare incessantly, in honour of a game that I don't think was ever officially announced? I think it ended up evolving into Gears of War.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Nice coverage of Arcane Dimensions over at RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/20/best-quake-mod-2016/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Ancient Aliens is kicking my rear end. Just, all over. It took me several tries to beat the first level, and now I'm on level two and it's kicking my rear end some more. But it looks and sounds so good, and the difficulty seems more like I just need to figure it out than a brutal beating, so I'm still enjoying it. Need to get back to Valiant at some point too.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

catlord posted:

Ancient Aliens is kicking my rear end. Just, all over. It took me several tries to beat the first level, and now I'm on level two and it's kicking my rear end some more. But it looks and sounds so good, and the difficulty seems more like I just need to figure it out than a brutal beating, so I'm still enjoying it. Need to get back to Valiant at some point too.

the howling coyotes made me guffaw in the first level and yeah, ancient aliens is kind of ruthless. I'm okay with the difficulty, so long as the monster count doesn't go too high and the levels don't last too long. Too much and it just gets tedious.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

For shame, not even an untextured gun model render

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

DNF is a huge disappointment if you managed to maintain a nonzero amount of hype somehow

DNF had quite a bit of hype going for it around release from people who expected it to at least be a throwback to 90s shooters with non-linear level design and a focus on shooting. This was back during late last gen where every major release was a linear military cinematic shooter with interactive cutscenes at every moment or just a plain cinematic shooter with interactive cutscenes at every moment. I vividly remember the thread here in 2011 having plenty of positive buzz before release until it came out (the limited demo released a week before didn't help either) and was mediocre, with that infamous Hive scene sending the thread into a downward spiral that ended with it being locked and deleted.

I expected nothing from Douk other than shooting plenty of dudes and instead I got a game that had gimmicks or scripted events every 5 minutes. It was pretty awful. A shame since despite all its flaws the brief segments where you're running around with the shotgun/ripper shooting aliens are pretty fun despite the weapon limit and regenerating health.
The only good things to come out of the game were the reactions from the Duke community trying to convince themselves the reviewers were wrong, and George's excuses for some of the awful design decisions.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

GUI posted:

George's excuses for some of the awful design decisions.

Woooow, this is the biggest crock of poo poo I've read in ages. Pretty sure Resistance 1 and 3, which came out just before and after DNF, let you carry all your guns and both were praised for it. :psyduck:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein 2009 also had a weapon wheel that let you carry every weapon.

Wolfenstein 2009 also owned and in some aspects was better than TNO.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I was somehow under the impression that Wolf 2009 was The Bad One

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
I remember being super excited by that Unreal 2 engine leak. The terrains and static meshes were so much more advanced than anything the UT version of the engine could do.

The game itself was brutally tedious and very much of its time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mak0rz posted:

If disintegrating Nazis with a Particle Cannon is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

joedevola posted:

I remember being super excited by that Unreal 2 engine leak. The terrains and static meshes were so much more advanced than anything the UT version of the engine could do.

The game itself was brutally tedious and very much of its time.

Fortunately(?) Americas Army came out shortly afterwards and delivered much more solid gameplay using the same engine, even before U2 itself came out.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Samuel Clemens posted:

If disintegrating Nazis with a Particle Cannon is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Yeah Wolf 2009, while not the same type of game as TNO, is still a pretty drat good game. Upgrading the Kar98 into a loving cannon and going into rage mode and chopping off Nazi arms never got old.

e: gently caress I really miss Raven

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Eurogamer complained that the Nazis all sounded like Jeremy Irons in Die Hard With a Vengeance.

I'm not sure why they thought that was a bad thing :sigh:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

There's no such thing as a bad Wolfenstein/Doom game, friend.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

The Spear mission packs are pretty terrible.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

They have incredibly weird pallete for Wolfenstein 3D games. What's with the blue guns and dogs?

But you can kill Dr. Wily in those!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The highlight of the Spear mission packs is the end of the second one, where BJ gets transported into the future and is in a UAC installation. But yeah, they're better off forgotten about. Also I'm not too keen on Doom 3, though I wouldn't go as far to say it's a bad game exactly. Otherwise yeah, there are no bad Wolfenstein or Doom games, just bad ports of Wolfenstein and Doom.

laserghost posted:

They have incredibly weird pallete for Wolfenstein 3D games. What's with the blue guns and dogs?

But you can kill Dr. Wily in those!

Ah yes, Dr. Wily who can access the Morphogenetic Field since he cries out "Not again!" when you kill him.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Haven't done one of these in a while.

PC Gamer - June & August 1994

Previews

id Software interviews

I actually had no idea the Doom models were that big :stare:

Reviews

I'm not sure whether this game counts as an FPS, but it seems to have a 3D engine of some kind

The Internet :corsair: Networking :corsair:

I remember playing Quake, Doom and Duke3D with a friend using a serial cable and having a great time, but half the time we'd just desync and end up wondering why the other player kept running headfirst into walls.

Random Ads

Noted Doom-beater, Corridor 7 :eng99:

Other bits

--------------------------

Somehow I accidentally deleted the old imgur album, so here's a new one.