Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tesseraction posted:

That LP finished years ago, the game has been translated and released in the west as has its two sequels. Go eat your toenail-covered floor pizza.

Ah, the lucrative Nazi endorsement. pissflaps what's your opinion on genociding the Arab and Slavic peoples? I'm assuming pro since Corbyn is against.

you voted leave didnt you?

and pissflaps voted remain?

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Tesseraction posted:

Bah fine, 1977: on this day the CIA release documents admitting they tried mind-control experiments.

gently caress your moon.

Oh yeah, when it's misbehaving it's my moon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hakimashou posted:

you voted leave didnt you?

and pissflaps voted remain?

Makes you think.

About what?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

ookiimarukochan posted:

Linking this without pointing out that the "liberal reformers" that Rafael Behr is proposing Labour form an alliance with are Theresa May and, well, Theresa May is practically a sin

Sorry, I was phone posting.

On the topic of anti-Englishness, I lived in Glasgow for almost four years, including during the independence referendum, and never experienced any hostility. That's my anecdote. :shobon:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Davos Seaworth confirms his status as Cool & Good

https://twitter.com/liamcunningham1/status/755718200373997568

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

If people like you- leave voters, had listened to voices of reason - people like pissflaps...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

quote:

Critics blame ‘progressive’ teaching styles that focused on applying maths to real-life scenarios in an effort to make the subject more interesting.

... Isn't that just problem sums? We have no shortage of those in Singapore (and I'm guessing China and Japan too)

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

the chinese system is loving awful and chinese students are renowned in education for being loving terrible at everything that isn't an abacus when they go to european universities. The skills do not translate to the real world or further education

what is wrong with these people?

haakman
May 5, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

They need slapping with a rolled up copy of Lockheart's Lament.

This is really interesting and has made me appreciate maths more than both Dr Ian Malcolm and all of the STEM sperg/MRA morons on the internet combined. Thank you.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jeremy corbyn going hard rear end motherfucker in the commons right now

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Zalakwe posted:

Why is this a bad idea? Similarly to the snoopers charter I can make some assumptions about why it is a bad idea, but why do we know it is a bad idea?

It's not, actually.

So what the Daily Mail have done here is to hear "as used in [places in the far east]" and conflated the Mastery Approach with their stereotype of eastern mathematics education.

There are some things in (certainly very low level) mathematics that can be taught by rote, yes, but that's not what the Mastery Approach is; it's an approach based on the use of high quality text books and lots of in-class discussion.

It does have downsides - most notably that it requires dramatically more work by the teacher outside the classroom (and with their colleagues) because it's much more reactive to the needs of students. (As an aside, this is one of the main reasons why education outcomes tend to be better in places like Singapore - teachers have more time to do out-of-classroom preparation.)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zalakwe posted:

Why is this a bad idea? Similarly to the snoopers charter I can make some assumptions about why it is a bad idea, but why do we know it is a bad idea?

e:Apparently I don't know what I'm talking about and am a typical mail reader. Apologies.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Apparently there were lots of fans of the approach at the ACME (Advisory Committee on Maths Education) conference last week.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's not, actually.

So what the Daily Mail have done here is to hear "as used in [places in the far east]" and conflated the Mastery Approach with their stereotype of eastern mathematics education.

There are some things in (certainly very low level) mathematics that can be taught by rote, yes, but that's not what the Mastery Approach is; it's an approach based on the use of high quality text books and lots of in-class discussion.

It does have downsides - most notably that it requires dramatically more work by the teacher outside the classroom (and with their colleagues) because it's much more reactive to the needs of students. (As an aside, this is one of the main reasons why education outcomes tend to be better in places like Singapore - teachers have more time to do out-of-classroom preparation.)

It's almost like the way to have a better education system is make sure teachers are highly trained, paid well, and arn't overworked, as opposed to there being one cure-all teaching method!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Basically takes teaching methods back to the 50s and earlier.

It doesn't, the Daily Mail is misrepresenting it.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Pureauthor posted:

... Isn't that just problem sums? We have no shortage of those in Singapore (and I'm guessing China and Japan too)

"singapore maths" bar diagram problem sums are quite different from US-flavoured progressive approaches

singapore's approach is also actually quite distinct from hk/taiwan/skorea; not sure about japan - singapore maths is mainly about the bar diagrams rather than the story

haakman
May 5, 2011
Just about to go teach but will, if time and if the thread hasn't moved on, write an effort post on the pedagogy behind whole class learning. Be advised - the Shanghai maths method is *not* rote learning. That's the standard style of education in <insert far east country here> but not the Shanghai Maths method.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
one of the weirder puzzles is how scandinavian and east asian countries with basically totally opposite approaches to teaching maths or hiring teachers can nonetheless both do very well on the PISAs

sadly I am not a pedagogy expert and the field is too politicized by anxious parents for me to really tell what's going on

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

qhat posted:

jeremy corbyn going hard rear end motherfucker in the commons right now

I'm not sure this analysis stands up to scrutiny.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hakimashou posted:

If people like you- leave voters, had listened to voices of reason - people like pissflaps...

Except I voted Leave because I wanted to leave, dipshit.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

God, it really is like the second coming of Thatcher at PMQs

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

I'm not sure this analysis stands up to scrutiny.

oh no!!

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

haakman posted:

Just about to go teach but will, if time and if the thread hasn't moved on, write an effort post on the pedagogy behind whole class learning. Be advised - the Shanghai maths method is *not* rote learning. That's the standard style of education in <insert far east country here> but not the Shanghai Maths method.

I'd quite like to read it when time allows - I enjoy your effortposts. :)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

haakman posted:

Just wanna let you know that I'd be interested in this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Tesseraction posted:

Except I voted Leave because I wanted to leave, dipshit.

Right, but if you'd listened to a voice of reason...

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"who was the party that took 3 weeks to decide their 'unity' candidate?" as the common cheers and the camera cuts to angela eagle looking upset

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't, the Daily Mail is misrepresenting it.

So is it the "Singapore system" or the "Chinese/Japanese system" - because I can tell you right now that China and Japan aren't known for their in depth class discussions and creative teaching (vs horrible rote learning) and the reason they rank so high on the PISA international tests is that they cheat (I believe that Singapore does too but I'm not sure)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If corbyn has this sewn up, shouldn't he have called for another leadership election, to submit himself to the labour voter and secure a mandate?

I mean he should have done it so that the drama of the labour backstabbing could have been averted.

Would he have been able to obtain better terms for the contest if it was at his direction?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

hakimashou posted:

If corbyn has this sewn up, shouldn't he have called for another leadership election, to submit himself to the labour voter and secure a mandate?

I mean he should have done it so that the drama of the labour backstabbing could have been averted.

Would he have been able to obtain better terms for the contest if it was at his direction?

Way to not notice the major story of the leadership contest until the NEC vote.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

ookiimarukochan posted:

So is it the "Singapore system" or the "Chinese/Japanese system" - because I can tell you right now that China and Japan aren't known for their in depth class discussions and creative teaching (vs horrible rote learning) and the reason they rank so high on the PISA international tests is that they cheat (I believe that Singapore does too but I'm not sure)

china was in the news for using a shanghai-only sample, but i haven't heard of japan or singapore gaming the rankings

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

hakimashou posted:

No, because that's not how leadership elections in the Labour Party work.

But also Corbyn was fairly consistent in calling for an open contest, but that has to be initiated by challengers.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/sarfrazmanzoor/status/755461728826187776/photo/1

ouch!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

OvineYeast posted:

No, because that's not how leadership elections in the Labour Party work.

Roger, would they have been able to just screw him off the ballot if he'd resigned on his own?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

hakimashou posted:

Roger, would they have been able to just screw him off the ballot if he'd resigned on his own?

Perhaps (though probably not), but more to the point it would have meant a Tom Watson caretaker leadership (probably a bad idea)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Another PMQs that makes me pray for the roof of the house to fall in.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Its a system devised on taking best elements from other places, its actually quite good and not kids just stood up reciting things, things like times tables would be rote learned because being that's actually really handy as long as its paired with actual understanding. Here's a brief summary https://www.ncetm.org.uk/public/files/19990433/Developing_mastery_in_mathematics_october_2014.pdf

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
It was against his interest, the "backstabbing" narrative is extremely valuable for his campaign and energizing his anti-establishment support, and the alternative (ie they chicken out) is good for him too. Had he called a leadership contest I doubt very much he'd have made it on the ballot.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Huh, the Guardian did a thing on it back in 2014 with the same misrepresentation.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/feb/23/maths-teaching-revolution-needed-conrad-wolfram

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

god I really hope this is what happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

gently caress this cishet Earth.

• Locked thread