Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
gently caress these your groups from HK are dumb. Going to a group tour makes you stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

caberham posted:

gently caress these your groups from HK are dumb. Going to a group tour makes you stupid.

I don't think this is exclusive to anywhere in the world. All commercial group tours are horrible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lol (*≧∀≦*)

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

from the documentary thread

Doikor posted:

Found this very interesting documentary about Shenzhen (and hardware manufacturing/hacking in general) by Wired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

Quite interesting seeing the open source philosophy applied to hardware there (also complete disregard for intellectual property and copyrights/trademarks)

really liked this documentary. Figured a few of you would enjoy it too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I live there.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
So what is a good VPN/Proxy for my phone when I am over in China?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ExpressVPN still works as far as I am aware and even has mainland accessible sites. I'd give it a go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Express works but is slow as poo poo. Astrill works everywhere except my house. I am looking for a replacement for Astrill if anyone has other suggestions, I currently am on Express.

NordVPN and HideMyAss do not work in China.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

NordVPN sounds like a bad Skyrim mod.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
im using a jailbroken iphone in order to install some old version of a free app that isnt on any app stores anymore

its horribly slow most of the time but it works well enough to let me sync podcasts or whatever, and youtube if I'm lucky

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Warbird posted:

ExpressVPN still works as far as I am aware and even has mainland accessible sites. I'd give it a go.

I used express while I was there a couple months ago, worked well. Get a referral from another China goon so they can get a free month of service. (I don't need it)

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

So what is a good VPN/Proxy for my phone when I am over in China?

Data roaming is unaffected by the GFW. All your sweet, sweet, but very expensive data goes unmolested back to your home carrier.

Otherwise, ExpressVPN and VyprVPN both have good phone apps. When one stops working, switch to the other for a while.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Trammel posted:

Data roaming is unaffected by the GFW. All your sweet, sweet, but very expensive data goes unmolested back to your home carrier.

Otherwise, ExpressVPN and VyprVPN both have good phone apps. When one stops working, switch to the other for a while.

I will be using my employer's AT&T global SIM card when I am in China. I used it in Hong Kong last time I was there and it just uses roaming data from a functionality standpoint.

Are you saying that I won't have to worry about the GFW if this is the case? I am not really concerned about cost because I am not paying for it.

I have heard conflicting reports on this.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I will be using my employer's AT&T global SIM card when I am in China. I used it in Hong Kong last time I was there and it just uses roaming data from a functionality standpoint.

Are you saying that I won't have to worry about the GFW if this is the case? I am not really concerned about cost because I am not paying for it.

I have heard conflicting reports on this.

I had a colleague who would run up $700 AUD monthly bills, while posting on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. That was true until he returned home in December 2015. I don't think it's changed since then.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Yea, if you can afford it, roaming data is the way to go.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Thoughts on following over ~10 weeks? Am aware of visa requirements, as well as need for guided tours on Nepal > Lhasa and Yunnan-Tibet Highway. Specifically how long to spend in destinations marked (x), or alterations to my guesses for how long. Only thing set in stone is overland only.

~June 2018
Entry from Nepal on Kathmandu > Lhasa via EBC Tour (8)
Lhasa (2)
Lhasa > Yunnan Tour [Dali, Shangri-La, Lijiang, Kunming, Tiger Leaping Gorge] (10)
Kunming (2)
Emeishan (x)
Chengdu (4)
Jiuzhaigou (2)
Xi'an (3)
Pingyao (3)
Beijing (5)
Shanghai (3)
Suzhou (x)
Hangzhou (x)
Huangshan (x)
Zhangjiajie (x)
Guilin (x)
Hong Kong (5)
Nanjing (3)
Exit to Hanoi.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Ragingsheep posted:

Yea, if you can afford it, roaming data is the way to go.

Roaming is never affordable, that's why people made

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

Xeno posted:

Thoughts on following over ~10 weeks? Am aware of visa requirements, as well as need for guided tours on Nepal > Lhasa and Yunnan-Tibet Highway. Specifically how long to spend in destinations marked (x), or alterations to my guesses for how long. Only thing set in stone is overland only.

~June 2018
Lhasa (2)
Lhasa > Yunnan Tour [Dali, Shangri-La, Lijiang, Kunming, Tiger Leaping Gorge] (10)
Kunming (2)
Emeishan (x)
Chengdu (4)
Jiuzhaigou (2)
Xi'an (3)
Pingyao (3)
Beijing (5)
Shanghai (3)
Suzhou (x)
Hangzhou (x)
Huangshan (x)
Zhangjiajie (x)
Guilin (x)
Hong Kong (5)
Nanjing (3)
Exit to Hanoi.

Nanjing at the end of the trip is the odd one out. Either put that earlier near shanghai or something

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

caberham posted:

Nanjing at the end of the trip is the odd one out. Either put that earlier near shanghai or something

I'm an idiot. It's Nanning.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Xeno posted:

~June 2018
Lhasa (2)
Kunming (2)
Emeishan (x)
Chengdu (4)
Jiuzhaigou (2)
Xi'an (3)
Pingyao (3)
Beijing (5)
Shanghai (3)
Suzhou (x)
Hangzhou (x)
Huangshan (x)
Zhangjiajie (x)
Guilin (x)
Hong Kong (5)
Nanjing (3)
Exit to Hanoi.

3 days in Pingyao is about 2 days too many. It's a nice tiny little city but no where near 3 days worth. Stay longer in Xi'an and go to Huashan.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Xeno posted:

~June 2018
Lhasa (2)
Kunming (2)
Emeishan (x)
Chengdu (4)
Jiuzhaigou (2)
Xi'an (3)
Pingyao (3)
Beijing (5)
Shanghai (3)
Suzhou (x)
Hangzhou (x)
Huangshan (x)
Zhangjiajie (x)
Guilin (x)
Hong Kong (5)
Nanjing (3)
Exit to Hanoi.

Shangri-La mostly burned down a few years ago. Lijiang is kinda boring and very touristy, but they had great chuanr.
Emeishan is the best. Chengdu is the best. Jiuzhaigou is the best.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You may not be able to get into Tibet, the government is bulldozing Tibetan towns again and travel in Tibetan areas is sketchy.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Re: VPN chat, does anyone have experience using Streisand? Reading this article made it sound like it took a bit more effort but would end up being more consistent in the long run. Quote from that article:

quote:

The script sets up a new server on one of four providers (Amazon, DigitalOcean, Linode, or Rackspace) running L2TP/IPsec, OpenSSH, OpenVPN, Shadowsocks, sslh, Stunnel, and a Tor bridge; it also generates a simple HTML file that contains instructions on how to access the server that can be given to friends, family, or other activists.

Xeno posted:

~June 2018

I'll ask my wife what her thoughts are on some of these places. We'll also likely be in Kunming around that time if you'd want someone to show you around, or at least show you good food.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Xeno posted:

I'm an idiot. It's Nanning.

I knew it was Nanning. I do want to write a more indepth report but if you travel light and fast you can even cut more time and just take sleeper trains wherever you go. Or book a hotel for 4 hours during the day if you are crazy enough.

This might be a bit too much but if you are going to spend that much time in China, I really recommend you get some e-wallet like Alipay. Yeah it's more for residents but the services make everything so much more convenient. Discounts, bookings, train tickets, hotels, etc. Like holy poo poo life is so much easier with these apps but in the same time life is a lot more annoying without them.

Apart from that itinerary looks like a good draft, cut out Guilin, cut out Nanning and sub in Yangshuo/Xingping or some smaller town. Just fly to Hanoi. But if you really insist on going through overland then spend 1 day in Nanning. There's not much

Actually scratch that itinerary. Go big or go home. Choose

1. Go West. Make your way to Shanghai from the West, Chengdu --> Xian --> Beijing --> Shanghai. Then take a cheap flight to Xinjiang from Shanghai via Spring Airlines.
2. Go Jungling. Go from Chengdu into Yunnan and cross into Laos and then to Thailand and Myanmar.
3. Mongol it up. Chengdu --> Xian --> Beijing --> Hohot and sleep in a yurt and eat lamb.

Unless you really like old central plains of China, I really recommend you try going to the edges of the country. The central provinces do have their differences but it's kinda meh to me.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

caberham posted:

I knew it was Nanning. I do want to write a more indepth report but if you travel light and fast you can even cut more time and just take sleeper trains wherever you go. Or book a hotel for 4 hours during the day if you are crazy enough.
It's mostly because *all* the advice on China itineraries says, "It's vast, go to less places, spend longer in each otherwise you spend the entire time rushing from place to place never seeing anything." Ideally we'd do this in ~8 weeks. Some combination of a couple of nights sleeper trains/slumming it, follwed by a few nights in decent accommodation. It's part of a 9 month long overland adventure to Australia, I'm pretty confident with Central/Far East Asia, it's just China.

Amergin posted:

I'll ask my wife what her thoughts are on some of these places. We'll also likely be in Kunming around that time if you'd want someone to show you around, or at least show you good food.
Cheers. Nearer the time I'll definitely be starting a thread and trying to goonhunt for beers/food heh.

Grand Fromage posted:

You may not be able to get into Tibet, the government is bulldozing Tibetan towns again and travel in Tibetan areas is sketchy.
:( Hopefully it will be more settled when we go. Seems to be a case of, plan as if all will be fine, keep updated on current situation and stay flexible.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You should just skip the literal cesspool called India and go through Xinjiang and Mongolia:swoon:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The Inner Mongolian grasslands are really great.

Also, seriously, where should I eat in Chengdu and Shanghai next month?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Post when you're in Chengdu and me and Magna Kaser will take you somewhere.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Emeishan is like 1 day and night, max. Maybe 2 nights if you get there late the first day. It takes pretty much a good day to climb up/down the mountain (even one way, most people climb one way and take the cable car the other) and you'll probably be too beat to do much else afterwards. Staying on the mountain itself is pretty cool, but it's expensive and kind of questionable quality wise. The foot of the mountain has very plentiful and cheap accommodation which is nice.

One last Emeishan tip is to make sure to order la rou 腊肉 (chinese bacon/smoked pork) and xiang chang 香肠 (sausage). They are famous for both of those there and for good reason, it was some of the BEST smoked meats I have ever had in my life out there.

Also 4 days in Chegndu is a bit long but you could also take a day trip to Leshan which is all that place is worth and then the 4 days seems about right. The train from Chengdu is only about 45 minutes to Leshan and it's quite easy to see and be back in Chengdu in the same day.

Actually, you could even hit Leshan on the way between Emeishan and Chengdu as it's right between them on the train route. It's super possible to leave Emeishan in the morning, see Leshan, and be in Chengdu by dinner time.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
All the China goons are cool. I am proud to meet almost all the posters here. Good people.

Finally met sb35

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's a hell of a travel map. I don't envy your future visa fees and applications for everything between Turkey and India...

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Grand Fromage posted:

Post when you're in Chengdu and me and Magna Kaser will take you somewhere.

I think we get to Chengdu on Aug 27 or 28. Have you been to Yu's Family Kitchen? If it's worth going, we wouldn't mind having a bigger party there...

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

peanut posted:

That's a hell of a travel map. I don't envy your future visa fees and applications for everything between Turkey and India...

That route is £817 for visas, but it's going to have to change.

If we enter China from Nepal the group visa will not be issued for more than 30 days, with no extensions. So I'm working out a route now that begins Torugat Pass > Turpan > Xi'an > Beijing > Shanghai > HK > Guilin > Yunnan stuff > Chegdu > Lhasa > Nepal > Inda segment, and then trying to get through Myanmar. Worst case scenario we skip that and fly back to HK and then continue form there to Hanoi.

Andante
Jul 3, 2008
Moving to Beijing this week, living the dream. I'll be in the Dongzhimen area. Let's hang out and be goon friends.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

I think we get to Chengdu on Aug 27 or 28. Have you been to Yu's Family Kitchen? If it's worth going, we wouldn't mind having a bigger party there...

FYI you need to reserve a table there a couple days in advance and iirc you need to pay up with a cash deposit then (at least I did the last time I went), but with the proliferation of online payments in the last year this may have changed.

I went a couple years ago with some friends who were here traveling and wanted to go. If I had to be honest the food looks really good in that it's all really creatively designed and plated well, but it's pretty generic Sichuan food overall. Certainly not a bad restaurant but it's more for the spectacle I think, so keep that in mind.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I went to yu's family kitchen. It's around 600 rmb per person while the food looks good I wouldn't say it's great food. Good private room and all but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like that western style Chinese setting.

Well if you really want something like yu's then go to the four seasons Hong Kong or anywhere in China and eat at the Chinese restaurant.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
You say that like we should all know where this place is and what it is

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You don't know the four seasons? It's a major hotel chain.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

fart simpson posted:

You don't know the four seasons? It's a major hotel chain.

Only Korea has four seasons.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

One of my fiance's friends just told us she's been selected for jury duty in California. She's been back in China for over a year now. This is going to be fun to try and straighten out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unless California is wildly different it's pretty easy, you just tell them. I've been called for jury duty every six months or so apparently, the letter shows up at my parents' house and my mom just tells them "He lives in China" and they say "Oh" and that's it.