Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The problem is that numbers don't mean anything. They can be used as tools (for example, as counters or to otherwise quantify things) but they do not have any intrinsic meaning.

Numbers can be used as identifiers (like house numbers or any number of ID numbers) or can have meanings assigned to them by various cultures (like lucky or unlucky numbers) but that doesn't give them any real physical meaning. So for example a house numbered 13 should not be expected to be more likely to have a plane crash into it or whatever.

I feel like all of that should be really obvious but to numerologists it isn't

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I mean you can look at Numerology to learn something about the beliefs of the people who were constructing it and what it said about their value system. Pythagoras' system for example shows a lot about how his group (made up exclusively of men) viewed women.

Under Pythagoras number based belief system, numbers had a gender assigned to them, odd numbers were female and even numbers were male. The problem in this was that it meant the first number would be feminine, which clashed with other aspects of Pythagoras' belief system, so he came up with a simple solution: the number one didn't actually exist and was not significant.

The problem for Pythagoras was that this was decided after he had already begun teaching that the number 3 signified marriage, it being the combination of the first two numbers (one male and one female). Now he had decided that one no longer existed as a number it caused problems: he either acknowledged that one was both a number and that in turn it was the first number placing women before men, or he had to deny his earlier teaching and remove the significance of 3. It wasn't so simple as him being able to then claim that 5 signified marriage as he had already given that number it's own significance and if he changed that it would continue to have problems down the line.

So even in this one instance you can see that Pythagoras' system was internally inconsistent, shaped by his own personal beliefs in which he passed on his own significance to numbers. Numbers have no intrinsic meaning to themselves: only that which people give them.

Edit: Oh I guess I should point out that Pythagoras' solution to this problem was to deny it was a problem and have anyone who challenged him over it or any of his thinking either exiled from the group, murdered or a combination of the two.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Quift posted:

I will just leave this here. I may be insane but you are obviously an idiot.

And to prove my point through example I will now use my magic skills in numerology to decode a hidden secret within an esoteric guide. I will teach you ignorant fools about the meaning of life, the universe and everything. I warn you though. You will not like it.

"42 is the number with which God creates the Universe in Kabbalistic tradition.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)

Hmm.. Thats quite the coincidence. As I argued before there should be some mathematical reasoning for the "value" assigned to this particular number in the kabbalistic tradition. Turns out that there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)#/media/File:Simple_Magic_Cube.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_cube

Hmm.. Does the cube have any other religious or spiritual significance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba

The hidden message left by the mystical and revered thinker Douglas Adams. = Think outside of the box.

I told you you weren't going to like it.

So your idea for showing numerology works is to show you're able to look something up in a chart and free associate it with a popular aphorism? How many possible values would leave you unable to do so? To be evidence of your hypothesis, the prediction should be more unlikely than a sunrise.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

QuarkJets posted:

You called me an idiot and then wrote that? Come on, are you being intentionally ironic for our amusement like Shbobdb does sometimes or are you really just off your meds?

e: Others have already pointed out that you're wrong, but I'll choose a different way to point out why you're wrong: if Douglas Adams wanted to attach significance to the number 42, in the way that you propose, then that would not be Numerology but simple literary allusion.

Also I liked your post very much, thank you for writing it

Also, that magic cube article doesn't mention 42 at all. In the formula n can be any number as long as the sum of the integers on each row, column, pillar and diagonal is equal to the same number. So he's an even bigger idiot for trying to "prove" magical bullshit with a concept that basically states all sorts of numbers can be magic.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xthetenth posted:

So your idea for showing numerology works is to show you're able to look something up in a chart and free associate it with a popular aphorism? How many possible values would leave you unable to do so? To be evidence of your hypothesis, the prediction should be more unlikely than a sunrise.

And I can only assume that Kabbalistic thing mentions other significant numbers like pi and e and the golden ratio, right? And 9/11 and 666? And 7.5 (being the floor from Being John Malkovich), and 12 as in 12 Monkeys?

What? It doesn't?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Quift posted:

I will just leave this here. I may be insane but you are obviously an idiot.

And to prove my point through example I will now use my magic skills in numerology to decode a hidden secret within an esoteric guide. I will teach you ignorant fools about the meaning of life, the universe and everything. I warn you though. You will not like it.

"42 is the number with which God creates the Universe in Kabbalistic tradition.
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)

Hmm.. Thats quite the coincidence. As I argued before there should be some mathematical reasoning for the "value" assigned to this particular number in the kabbalistic tradition. Turns out that there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/42_(number)#/media/File:Simple_Magic_Cube.svg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_cube

Hmm.. Does the cube have any other religious or spiritual significance?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaaba

The hidden message left by the mystical and revered thinker Douglas Adams. = Think outside of the box.

I told you you weren't going to like it.

I repeat: cargo cult maths.

Quift
May 11, 2012
More in line with the actual purpose of the thread.

The final 28 pages of the official US intelligence Joint Inquiry into the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were released Friday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/911-report-missing-28-pages-allege-saudi-government-links-to-september-11-hijackers-2016-7?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

It's quite an interesting read.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Skinty McEdger posted:

Edit: Oh I guess I should point out that Pythagoras' solution to this problem was to deny it was a problem and have anyone who challenged him over it or any of his thinking either exiled from the group, murdered or a combination of the two.

He may have been a rampaging jackass , but you have to admire the man's grasp of the finer points of running a cult.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quift posted:

More in line with the actual purpose of the thread.

The final 28 pages of the official US intelligence Joint Inquiry into the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were released Friday.

http://www.businessinsider.com/911-report-missing-28-pages-allege-saudi-government-links-to-september-11-hijackers-2016-7?r=US&IR=T&IR=T

It's quite an interesting read.

Care to elaborate on your opinion? Link-dropping with "this is interesting" is actually a probatable offense.

But lol yes let's just drop the numerology topic now that you've made a total fool of yourself

(the purpose of this thread is to talk about conspiracy theorists. Numerology is very relevant, as many conspiracy theorists are deranged enough to use numerology)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find it interesting that most Cts seem to think that Authortarian takeover of the US will come from the left; they see things that are generally considered leftist positions, pro science, minority rights, enviromentalism, wealth equality, science based medicine, gun control and such as harbringers of the takeover that will make all Americans slave to the alliance of Muslims, Gays, Hippies and Feminists.

BUt if there was an actual coup, it would almost certainly come from the right. I'd see it as a conspiracy between big business, the military and right wing media that uses militias, 3%ers, oathkeepers and the Motion Lube guys as pawns. Not that I believe that's going on, the right wing is way too disorganized to get someone who they all agree on as the nominee or not look like hateful morons at every single turn to do anything that world shattering, but if something like that was going to happen, it would come from the right. The thing is, the guys who act like they're in Enemies: Foreign and Domestic would think they're fighting the good fight, while they're fighting to install exactly what they feared. But then those kinds of people want a selfish kind of freedom, that is purely "I get to do whatver I want, and if you want the same too, you're good, but anything else, you can gently caress off and die".

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

twistedmentat posted:

...and the Motion Lube guys as pawns...
i take back every bad thing i ever said about autocorrect

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i take back every bad thing i ever said about autocorrect

That is a deliberate choice, and yes I know is Molon Labe, but it basically looks like Motion Lube. Molson Lube would also work, but only to Canadians.

Quift
May 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Care to elaborate on your opinion? Link-dropping with "this is interesting" is actually a probatable offense.

But lol yes let's just drop the numerology topic now that you've made a total fool of yourself

(the purpose of this thread is to talk about conspiracy theorists. Numerology is very relevant, as many conspiracy theorists are deranged enough to use numerology)

I didn't wish to draw further insults but I'll abide by the rules if needed.

In short. I'm not that surprised. These 28 pages were obviously redacted due to their sensitive content. From my understanding of events there was a US government cover up of the potential KSA involvement in the 9/11 attacks. This potential involvement might have been "private" or officially sanctioned (unknown). The cover up was probably motivated by importance of the KSA- USA "strategic alliance."

The allegations leveled against the KSA in the report are quite serious and plenty of the circumstances reported do raise plenty of flags. It does say that these allegations were investigated further to no avail but in my opinion it is just as likely that higher ups wished to cover up any potential KSA connection due to the risk to the USA-KSA strategic partnership.

What is most interesting to me is the timing of their release. My guess is that the very same alliance that used to be protected is now viewed as a liability.

The relationship between the USA and the KSA has deteriorated rather quickly since the Iran nuclear deal. I think Obama has worked very hard to make the US independent of Oil from the middle east and if he succeeds (which seems very likely) the KSA alliance is probably high on the list of foreign entanglements that the State Department would like to extradite itself form. This would lead to a significant geopolitical shift in the middle east.

Given the absolutely horrifying policies of the KSA the time were the USA cuts their support of the Royal family cannot come to quickly in my book.

Quift fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 19, 2016

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Quift what are your thoughts on Donald Trump being a plant for Clinton to help her secure the presidency?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Quift posted:

I didn't wish to draw further insults but I'll abide by the rules if needed.

In short. I'm not that surprised. These 28 pages were obviously redacted due to their sensitive content. From my understanding of events there was a US government cover up of the potential KSA involvement in the 9/11 attacks. This potential involvement might have been "private" or officially sanctioned (unknown). The cover up was probably motivated by importance of the KSA- USA "strategic alliance."

The allegations leveled against the KSA in the report are quite serious and plenty of the circumstances reported do raise plenty of flags. It does say that these allegations were investigated further to no avail but in my opinion it is just as likely that higher ups wished to cover up any potential KSA connection due to the risk to the USA-KSA strategic partnership.

What is most interesting to me is the timing of their release. My guess is that the very same alliance that used to be protected is now viewed as a liability.

The relationship between the USA and the KSA has deteriorated rather quickly since the Iran nuclear deal. I think Obama has worked very hard to make the US independent of Oil from the middle east and if he succeeds (which seems very likely) the KSA alliance is probably high on the list of foreign entanglements that the State Department would like to extradite itself form. This would lead to a significant geopolitical shift in the middle east.

Given the absolutely horrifying policies of the KSA the time were the USA cuts their support of the Royal family cannot come to quickly in my book.

The KSA isn't some monolithic bloc and the way that it is structured means that parts of it are effectively independent and possibly even at odds with other parts.Power is vested in the House of Saud and supreme executive power is in the King. However the princes (of which there are hundreds) have their own little fiefdoms and power-bases within that. That's why pinning blame on 'the KSA' for clandestine stuff like this is very difficult (moreso than for other nations). There are very likely factions within the KSA who were materially supporting Bin Laden and the 9/11 hijackers. But that's not at all the same thing as 'the KSA' providing support and there's enough difference to make it impossible to hang that kind of accusation on the KSA as a whole unless you can prove a link to the King himself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

twistedmentat posted:

That is a deliberate choice, and yes I know is Molon Labe, but it basically looks like Motion Lube. Molson Lube would also work, but only to Canadians.
I prefer Moron Label.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Quift posted:

Random Connections With Numbers™
I find the association between Kabbalah and the Kaaba especially amusing myself.

Then again, maybe Something Awful can eventually take credit for ultimately making peace between Judaism and Islam.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Women should be seen and not heard.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/755560358064992256

Quift
May 11, 2012

Zombie Boat posted:

Quift what are your thoughts on Donald Trump being a plant for Clinton to help her secure the presidency?

My personal thoughts are that the USA is off its meds and that the entire political system of the Anglo-Saxons has gone of the rails. I personally do not think that Trump is part of any conspiracies more than the fact that he himself seems to be a "conspiracy theorist".

If you are just trying to bait me into something I have a thread were I answer all conspiracy questions with maximum tinfoil.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776512

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

twistedmentat posted:

oh so you conspired to make them sound just as stupid as they make themselves sound? Delicious!

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Quift posted:

My personal thoughts are that the USA is off its meds and that the entire political system of the Anglo-Saxons has gone of the rails. I personally do not think that Trump is part of any conspiracies more than the fact that he himself seems to be a "conspiracy theorist".

If you are just trying to bait me into something I have a thread were I answer all conspiracy questions with maximum tinfoil.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776512

Not trolling you. You are just a little more open about your beliefs and I have been hearing people make that claim about trump.

Quift
May 11, 2012

Zombie Boat posted:

Not trolling you. You are just a little more open about your beliefs and I have been hearing people make that claim about trump.

You do realize I don't believe in neither "numerology" no "alchemy" myself right?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is this when we find out "jokes on you guys! I'm not actually retarded, I was only pretending"?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Quift posted:

You do realize I don't believe in neither "numerology" no "alchemy" myself right?

Then why are you still talking about it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quift posted:

My personal thoughts are that the USA is off its meds and that the entire political system of the Anglo-Saxons has gone of the rails.

I don't see what the events of roughly 1040 to 1070 AD in England and France have to do with the USA being "off its meds"?

Quift
May 11, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Is this when we find out "jokes on you guys! I'm not actually retarded, I was only pretending"?

No. I wrote it repeatedly. My earlier comment regarding the lack of basic reading comprehension in this thread were not taken out of thin air.

Quift posted:

My point is exactly that!
By studying Numerology we learn more about Numerologists!
The validity of the conclusions of numerologists is irrelevant.
The study derives it's merit from the historical importance if numerologists in our culture.
The conclusions of numerologists are thus interesting from a historical perspective.

Therefor I recommend giving this arcane subject some attention. Cause it's interesting.

Quift posted:

My belief structure is not part of the discussion. The personal "beliefs" that I have expressed boil down to "weird subjects are interesting".

"Magick" is not a science, nor tries to be.. But it's a very interesting subject with a long history. I'm not given to "magical thinking" in my normal life in case someone wonders. However one needs to have a "magick state of mind" when one discusses magic. Otherwise it doesn't work ;)

Just rest assured that I have an non-magical belief system to default back to.

Quift posted:

This isn't what I originally intended to argue. Not to mention how you almost deliberately seem to miscontrue my words.

So to clarify further.

I showed the video since he uses numerology to make an interesting story. (key word here is interesting, not TRUE!).

I have no "fatih" in numerology besides the obvious. It exists and has existed in some forms for millennia. It is a part of the historical and cultural inheritance of our culture and merits some study on this basis alone. Your argument that "numerology" is incorrect" is like someone claiming that Gaming theory is irrelevant to study since the house always win at 21.

The history of using numerology to read the Bible is millenia old, and still an active part of the both the Christian and the Jewish Faith in many parts of the world. This tradition of applying numerology to the sacred texts to find hidden meaning has had a significant effect on our culture. This regardless of the "scientific merit" of the endeavor.

I find this study of ancient texts from a different perspectives interesting, as it gives me more material from which to understand many other texts. Texts that were written by people who had a similar "numerologic" bent. So knowing something about the subjects gives me a better understanding of the world view of the original author.

Quift posted:

So yeah. Study numerology. It's quite cool. It is after all the hallmark of the educated mind to entertain a thought without accepting it so there is nothing to be afraid of.

I do question the D Adams narrative that the number 42 was random though. 42 being the cornerstone of the Universe according to the kabbalah is just to neat to ignore.
This is only interesting from a literary critique perspective though, I'm not claiming that it "proves" kabbalah.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

You're assuming that Adams had detailed knowledge of Kabbalah. This is a problem with conspiracy theoriests particularly when it comes to writers works - they often assume that the author must have had the same knowledge that they did, even when it is of something weird and obscure.

Quift
May 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

I don't see what the events of roughly 1040 to 1070 AD in England and France have to do with the USA being "off its meds"?

Poor choice of words. It's a french thing. The "anglo-saxon world" means the UK/US/Australia/NZ as a cultural sphere. I have no clue what term is used in the US for the same thing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anglophere or "the consistently worst western nations"

Quift
May 11, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

You're assuming that Adams had detailed knowledge of Kabbalah. This is a problem with conspiracy theoriests particularly when it comes to writers works - they often assume that the author must have had the same knowledge that they did, even when it is of something weird and obscure.

I would love to discuss the hitchhikers guide but I assume that this isn't the thread? I have already derailed this thread far to much and don't wish to offend. I would also prefer not to be called a "conspiracy theorist". I hardly think that there is a secret conspiracy trying to hide the true meaning of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

BTW.

The theft of the heart of gold was an inside job!

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

You also have this amazing habit of bringing up a subject and then when someone else brings up a rebuttal saying "this isn't the thread for this discussion."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Quift posted:

Poor choice of words. It's a french thing. The "anglo-saxon world" means the UK/US/Australia/NZ as a cultural sphere. I have no clue what term is used in the US for the same thing.

Ah, so you're a crazy Frenchman.

But you're still very wrong because say New Zealand and Canada aren't collapsing, dougie!

Quift posted:

I do question the D Adams narrative that the number 42 was random though. 42 being the cornerstone of the Universe according to the kabbalah is just to neat to ignore.
This is only interesting from a literary critique perspective though, I'm not claiming that it "proves" kabbalah.

42 isn't the cornerstone of the universe according to Kabbalah tradition. In the most common strains it's 49 (because 7 7s).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Quift posted:

I do question the D Adams narrative that the number 42 was random though.

Of course it wasn't, it was generated by a PRNG of pulling scrabble letters out of a bag.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quift posted:

No. I wrote it repeatedly. My earlier comment regarding the lack of basic reading comprehension in this thread were not taken out of thin air.

people read just fine itt, they're correctly reading your broken words. that's your fault

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Data Graham posted:

Of course it wasn't, it was generated by a PRNG of pulling scrabble letters out of a bag.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

That was the question, the answer was dreamed up by the greatest supercomputer that wasn't the earth

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Literally The Worst posted:

That was the question, the answer was dreamed up by the greatest supercomputer that wasn't the earth

The the Vogons blew up the Earth five minutes before it was going to poo poo out the question.

Good thing, too! If anybody knows the question and the answer the universe gets unmade and replaced with something even more inexplicable and confusing.

Well, Marvin figured it out but he isn't a person so he doesn't count.

...it's why he's so sad.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This means something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Quift posted:

That's the kind of magical thinking that you just said you don't subscribe to. It doesn't matter that we're just talking about literature, the problem is that you're pointing out connections that were never intentional and then claiming that they're significant somehow despite that

• Locked thread