Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

FractalSandwich posted:

When they say "this time", I'm not sure if they mean in contrast to earlier in the scene, or something in the original story. How did Professor Tomoe's arc end originally? Is he supposed to be dead or something?
Crazy dead. Infinity ends with the entire Tomoe clan as corpses, but time/space revives Hotaru as a baby for Neptune/Uranus to raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah sure, talk down the mad scientist

Also the "corpse room" is Hotaru's play room when she's Mistress 9-ing out in the original anime. They're actually all life-sized dolls.

e:

END ME SCOOB posted:

Crazy dead. Infinity ends with the entire Tomoe clan as corpses, but time/space revives Hotaru as a baby for Neptune/Uranus to raise.

which doesn't make any sense since in the anime this game's supposed to be following, Tomoe's fine at the end

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Talk him down. It's what she does.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
For my vote: END HIM SCOOB

Also, yeah, he was so fine in the anime that he actually went back to raising Hotaru himself during the brief filler arc that kicked off Stars where Nehelenia came back and stuff, though for the rest of Stars, Hotaru was seen more or less exclusively with the other Outer Sailors, which silently implied the manga's "they adopt her" angle, which I assume wouldn't have sat well with the mainstream audience at the time, had it been made explicit (mainstream Japanese society is rather socially conservative, by all available information).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, didn't they have Hotaru's dad live in the anime, just that he was basically brain dead? For some reason I remember a scene of him in a wheelchair with Uranus, Neptune and baby Hotaru visiting him.

Also, talk down the mad scientist, because killing him obviously didn't stick the first time round.

Edit: Woo! New page I completely missed! So I'm not crazy and he did live in the anime!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Okay. I'm still not super clear on it, but here's my best guess. If he's supposed to be dead, the first line is something like: "Saturn... your father's just being controlled! Hang in there - wouldn't it be nice if you can save him this time?" (Since last time he got killed?) If he's not dead, I guess it's more like: "Wouldn't it be nice if you can be the one to save him this time?" (Since last time it was up to the other Scouts?)

The implication isn't too different either way, and it doesn't really affect the rest:

"She's right. Even if it hurts right now, you can't give in to despair."
"Yeah, you're right. Thank you, Sailor Moon. This time, I'll save Papa!"

It's a bit of a stiff translation, but you get the picture. You can see the original here.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
You should all basically assume I have forgotten some of the stuff in the anime, I just do a quick Wikimoon search for fact-checking, whereas I have 15 volumes of manga next to me. So thank you for fixing my poo poo.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Very happy to see a Band vs. Band reference in this thread. :swoon:

quote:

She gets Back to the Futured out of existence - In the final arc, being Usagi's kid, she is one of the final survivors of the Galactic Murder Tour, right up until a sorceress rips her dad's soul apart and she fades into nothingness.

I haven't read the end of the Sailor Stars manga chapters but (for those who never saw Stars in the US) in the anime she does come back because Usagi saves the day. Does it end differently in the manga?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

END ME SCOOB posted:

You're almost at the boss when you enter this abandoned throne room full of... are those corpses? I don't know what the everloving hell is going on with decor here. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS DOING IN A LABORATORY

It's a bunch of those creepy porcelain dolls. There was a time frame in the manga where Mistress 9 took over but hasn't gone all long-haired yet where they played up Hotaru's gloomy child aesthetic instead.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Kaolinite was, like the Professor, a conscious host of a Daimon Egg for years prior to the Infinity Academy coming on the scene. She was basically second in command to the mad scientist, operated as the public face of the Academy as its principal, and was a complete badass. In the anime, she went "You know, I'll bet Sailor Moon would be a great host for one of these alien eggs", tried to rip her heart out, and when the direct approach failed, aimed to lure her into a trap. This backfired and she got tossed off the side of Tokyo Tower for her troubles, dying in the process.

She still ended up being the most skilled agent that the Death Busters had in a lessened state, and successfully brought about Mistress 9's awakening via trying to rip power out of Chibi-Usa instead of Usagi Prime, and because everyone in this agency was a real rear end in a top hat, Mistress 9 murdered her as thanks, remarking she was no longer needed.

That's a thing that happened a whole lot in the original anime version. Unlike the manga the Sailor Guardians aren't allowed to finish off human enemies, so to get them out of the story they either get redeemed by whichever move Sailor Moon has the current season, get killed by fellow henchmen because that's what evil guys do or whatever, or get murdered by their boss for having failed the last time. It does lead to great moments like one of the Witches 5 deciding the best way to move up in the world is by getting rid of her workaholic colleague by cutting her brakes and filling her car with snails so she'll careen off a cliff, though.

kefkafloyd posted:

I haven't read the end of the Sailor Stars manga chapters but (for those who never saw Stars in the US) in the anime she does come back because Usagi saves the day. Does it end differently in the manga?

Nah, Usagi fixes everyone's souls since she's basically Jesus.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The manga & anime were releasing basically simultaneously (the final part of the final chapter of the Infinity Arc was in the March 1995 issue of Nakayoshi, released in the first week of February, and the final episode of S aired on Feb 18th), so its entirely possible the anime scriptwriters had no idea what to do re: Tomoe at the point they were writing those episodes, which would have been months beforehand.

Of course, S was already quite off the rails by that point anyway, and Ikuhara probably had the final say.

a cartoon duck posted:

It's a bunch of those creepy porcelain dolls. There was a time frame in the manga where Mistress 9 took over but hasn't gone all long-haired yet where they played up Hotaru's gloomy child aesthetic instead.

Hotaru's not weird at all, why do you ask

aers fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 20, 2016

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Talk down the mad scientist

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
I'm pretty sure that the Combaters are based on those duplicates of Germatoid. As for Kaolinite, in the anime, she was the most powerful subboss, able to fight seven sailors and tux at the same time. If it wasn't for her own power turning against her and she was fighting on Tokyo Tower, she might have beaten them.

Talk him down

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, the Witches 5 were pretty cutthroat in the anime, asides from the brake-line cutting, one literally unplugged another member when she uploaded herself into cyberspace.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

aers posted:

Hotaru's not weird at all, why do you ask

I'm not getting 'weird' as much as 'poor little rich girl'. Only she's not rich, either.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Kill the mad scientist. The last time we did the right thing it ended up being a shittier path split, so let's not do that again.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really liked that they gave Kaolinite vague PTSD after reviving her in the anime. She was still a bitch, but she was basically Dr. Tomoe's assistant while making GBS threads on Hotaru.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Bloodly posted:

I'm not getting 'weird' as much as 'poor little rich girl'. Only she's not rich, either.

Actually, she is rich. Tomoe was loaded, he owned a manor and his school was in a skyscraper, which he owned. And Neptune and Uranus, who she lives with now, are also rich. They own helicopters after all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

He's a major arc villain whose evil plan wasn't a bid for freedom against their dystopian Moon sparkle-lords or a desperate claim for Usagi's power for his own. He's a major arc villain whose evil plan was "get the most powerful girl in existence, fill her with Cthulhus, and sit back with popcorn while existence ends". On top of that, he's merely the reanimated corpse of said major arc villain.

What I'm saying is paint the walls with his guts :black101:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Kill him ded!

We see where the alternate path already took us. Do you really want to end up in another game like this?

Besides, we just got phenomenal cosmic (horror) powers. How can we NOT immediately flex them?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I do feel it is in the spirit of Sailor Moon to talk it out (and then hit them with magical moonbeams when they don't listen)

It's been forever since I've played the game though so I don't even remember if I got this far. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I, Sailor Moon, will beat you all up!

That was all I could think about during Dr Tomoe's lines.

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

kefkafloyd posted:

Very happy to see a Band vs. Band reference in this thread. :swoon:
yes this aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

also as much as i want to make a MOON PRISM POUND THE poo poo OUT OF THAT NERD joke here i vote we try to talk him down.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Kill the scientist

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Anshar is basically the following* re: Chibi-Usa

[SEVERAL THOUSAND WORDS LATER]

* This didn't need to be in the update text itself. Attibuting the comic to its original author.

noooooooooooooooo

Just put footnotes directly below the current paragraph or whatever*, it's so much easier + nicer to read! Especially on mobile 😓

* Like this footnote here! There happened to be an illustrative picture of some Jarcocks as the "or whatever" in this case! Get ready for a new paragraph BELOW this footnote too. You can do anything on The Internet™!

My vote is to talk Prof Tomoe down because I'm guessing the dialog will be more hilarious.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
If you seriously think I should pimp a webcomic mid-update, no, that is the rare case footnotes are still coming out. Plus, then you can go read the comic when the update is done.

I don't have plans to do that a bunch but still.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you seriously think I should pimp a webcomic mid-update, no, that is the rare case footnotes are still coming out. Plus, then you can go read the comic when the update is done.

I don't have plans to do that a bunch but still.

I don't disagree with you, but also we all have middle click buttons to open links in new tabs.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Not so much on mobile. Unless there's a secret Android trick I'm unaware of. Anyway, "talk" is up by one so if that hasn't changed after I go to dinner I guess we're being pacifists.

\/\/ edit: OR IT'S A TIE

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Dude is displaying terrible parenting skills and made Hotaru back into Mistress 9. The time for talk is over!

Beat the crap out of his nerdy face.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

END ME SCOOB posted:

Not so much on mobile. Unless there's a secret Android trick I'm unaware of.

Press and hold on a link, and it will pop up a context menu with the option "open link in new tab"

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Talk because the anime was superior.

Though considering this game, I wouldn't be surprised if the professor was in a quantum state, where no matter what, you pick wrong.

Geizt
Dec 10, 2014

I'm also gonna vote Talk because it's probably going to go to a fight anyways so why not more silly dialog?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
We're going to say hi then! Don't worry - unlike last time, I'm showing off both of these just to rub in how weird this is

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
What I don't is why they had you fight Mistress 9 before Kalinite.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

MightyPretenders posted:

Talk because the anime was superior.

drat skippy, though arguably the Infinity and Dream Arcs of the manga are the only reason to read the drat thing as they're actually good.

90s Anime is wayy better as it avoids most of the nonsense we see in the manga's later chunks.

I also was kinda happy that Hotaru got to keep her dad even if she was reduced to a child (He got to re-raise her and forgot all about the stuff with the Daimons when Germatoid was destroyed) so talk the prof. down.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Here's a thing I never noticed before this playthrough: Neptune and Uranus can wear one another's special accessories.

edit: no, wait, apparently everyone can wear these, that's got to be a bug

edit 2: What the poo poo, I swear I've never seen the accessories allowed to be equipped by everyone prior. Huh. I learned a thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

update delayed temporarily

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

:twisted:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Here's a thing I never noticed before this playthrough: Neptune and Uranus can wear one another's special accessories.

edit: no, wait, apparently everyone can wear these, that's got to be a bug

edit 2: What the poo poo, I swear I've never seen the accessories allowed to be equipped by everyone prior. Huh. I learned a thing.

I noticed this when I played through last weekend too. They can be equipped by anyone, but they only affect the stats of their "true" owner.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

END ME SCOOB posted:

As if "I Hate Myself And I Want To Die" wasn't accurate enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I also was kinda happy that Hotaru got to keep her dad even if she was reduced to a child (He got to re-raise her and forgot all about the stuff with the Daimons when Germatoid was destroyed) so talk the prof. down.

Not really, he only has her for a couple months and then Uranus & Neptune come take her away again and she magically grows up

• Locked thread