Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, man, but taking a loan you're in no way prepared to pay off is totally a conservative value. BOOTSTRAPS YO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Sure, helping out could be fun. :)

e: Application sent.

I think you've been accepted. Still trying to figure out how this poo poo works tbh! Let me know if you can't do anything.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I think you've been accepted. Still trying to figure out how this poo poo works tbh! Let me know if you can't do anything.

Well, there's no big "JOIN" button on the frontpage anymore and the application tells me it's been accepted, so yeah I think it worked!

I probably won't do too much right away, need to get used to the formatting first.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Alright, I messed around with the "Unofficial Patches" section of Fixing Skyrim a bit, so now USLEEP is there as well. Seems like a decent start.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

But seriously, we'll have to review practically every single mod recommendation on that wiki, some of them are so outdated they're practically dangerous.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThaumPenguin posted:

But seriously, we'll have to review practically every single mod recommendation on that wiki, some of them are so outdated they're practically dangerous.

:gonk:

Need to get that new thread up ASAP to get some more publicity for this poo poo from the start.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I dunno, I guess I'm being the contrarian here but while Arthmoor's behavior is manifestly lovely, it seems pretty clear he's at least moderately autistic right? Not that his behavior doesn't earn it but I still feel like at some point piling on with "lol what a shitlord this guy is" gets a bit mean spirited :shrug:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

hampig posted:

Did he just finish a college degree? :negative:

Haha drat dude :smithicide:

Agents are GO! posted:

2. Hates Mod Organizer, to the point where he calls the STEP wiki "the marketing arm of Mod Organizer."

I can barely imagine not using MO, let alone hating it. Like what does he do and expect others to do? Use NMM (lmao) or chuck files in our data folder like it's 2002?

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 20, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

I dunno, I guess I'm being the contrarian here but while Arthmoor's behavior is manifestly lovely, it seems pretty clear he's at least moderately autistic right? Not that his behavior doesn't earn it but I still feel like at some point piling on with "lol what a shitlord this guy is" gets a bit mean spirited :shrug:

I don't think so, he just acts that way. I'm not going to ask for his medical records though, because I don't care. His handlers need to restrict his access to skyrim and zootopia in any case.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Alright, I messed around with the "Unofficial Patches" section of Fixing Skyrim a bit, so now USLEEP is there as well. Seems like a decent start.

I would even put USLEEP as the #1 option, most people probably have legendary edition.

also expect this page to fill up

http://tesgoons.wikidot.com/skyrim:mods-to-avoid

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm not really sure how much I should moderate my behavior based on diagnosing someone over the Internet, but autism doesn't make people act like shitheads.

Gobblecoque posted:

I can barely imagine not using MO, let alone hating it. Like what does he do and expect others to do? Use NMM (lmao) or check files in our data folder like it's 2002?

Pretty sure he's a Wrye Bash holdout.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
We take the bad with the good though, skyrim modding would be a much happier place without him, but skyrim would probably be a much buggier game without his obsessiveness so...

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

I can barely imagine not using MO, let alone hating it. Like what does he do and expect others to do? Use NMM (lmao) or check files in our data folder like it's 2002?
Wrye Bash. I poo poo you not.

Arthmoor's (and the rest of the weirdos over at afkmods.iguanadons) hatred for MO is honestly baffling. I think it started out as them distrusting MO's virtual file system purely on the basis that it was new and scary.
And now MO's default approach of presenting the contents of BSAs as loose file to Skyrim appears to be their target. He placed this on his nexus description pages:

quote:

DO NOT EXTRACT YOUR BSA FILES! Doing so does nothing but cause problems and you will forfeit all expectation of support for this or any other of my mods. Skyrim is designed to load via the ESP+BSA combinations and deviating from that system is the cause of 90% of the issues that come up with mods.
:psyduck: What? As far as I know that's complete nonsense. In fact there's stuff the game doesn't load at from BSAs and will only work as loose files.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 20, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

We take the bad with the good though, skyrim modding would be a much happier place without him, but skyrim would probably be a much buggier game without his obsessiveness so...

there's plenty of people who would step up to the plate and NOT do things like add in stupid dragon voices and lines of dialogue that sound like trash.

or if they did they wouldn't ban you from the nexus for uploading a mod to change it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eric the Mauve posted:

lmao @ feeling bad for some chump on the Internet that is a conservative furry moron that has a chip on his should and a head in his rear end. Piling on the guy is for us, not for him. He also isn't going to go anywhere because modding Bethesda games is all he has and is all he ever will have. Everyone that disagrees with him is an enemy so might as well play that part.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mortimer posted:

there's plenty of people who would step up to the plate and NOT do things like add in stupid dragon voices and lines of dialogue that sound like trash.

Like, there's literally a whole team working on the Unofficial Patch.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mortimer posted:

I would even put USLEEP as the #1 option, most people probably have legendary edition.

Agreed, but that'd require me to rewrite all the unofficial patch stuff, and I couldn't be bothered to do that right then.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So I have a very minor quibble with the performance of my game currently: If I wander around outdoors, I'll eventually hit a really big stutter spike that'll last for about a second and will be crazy laggy. Skyrim Performance Monitor is running and I'm observing the spike occur where my framerate and GPU and other stuff fall off a cliff. Up top, everything's fine, that's Memory, VRAM, and Disk IO. CPU usage % and GPU usage % and FPS on the bottom graph are what spike to nearly 0 over that second. It's weird. Anyway, anyone with any ideas? My VRAM is capped out and only about 1.5 gigs of RAM is in use. I was thinking that was the problem, but I've got many gigs of RAM free still, so that's probably not it. It might be loading a new grid into memory, but I dunno how to fix anything related to that. I have Crash Fixes running with UseOSAllocators on. Out of curiosity with THAT, MemoryBlocksLog.log is showing the following:

256MB 256MB
85 8
85 8

Is that indicative of CrashFixes' UseOSAllocators functioning right?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Apoplexy posted:

So I have a very minor quibble with the performance of my game currently: If I wander around outdoors, I'll eventually hit a really big stutter spike that'll last for about a second and will be crazy laggy. Skyrim Performance Monitor is running and I'm observing the spike occur where my framerate and GPU and other stuff fall off a cliff. Up top, everything's fine, that's Memory, VRAM, and Disk IO. CPU usage % and GPU usage % and FPS on the bottom graph are what spike to nearly 0 over that second. It's weird. Anyway, anyone with any ideas? My VRAM is capped out and only about 1.5 gigs of RAM is in use. I was thinking that was the problem, but I've got many gigs of RAM free still, so that's probably not it. It might be loading a new grid into memory, but I dunno how to fix anything related to that. I have Crash Fixes running with UseOSAllocators on. Out of curiosity with THAT, MemoryBlocksLog.log is showing the following:

256MB 256MB
85 8
85 8

Is that indicative of CrashFixes' UseOSAllocators functioning right?

What mods and/or ENB are you using?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Tetrachromatic NLVA. Mods are numerous.

Eggnogspecial
Feb 25, 2006

'tis the season.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a mod with a huge dungeon? I feel the strange need to mindlessly murder my way towards the center of Nirn. I'm not too concerned about a solid plot, but at least an overarching theme would be nice. I just want to mindlessly kill in a downward direction.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh, nevermind about the memoryblockslog stuff, it appears that those 85 / 8s are simply a log of how much of the memory blocks are in use. So that's stupid; memory blocks are definitely not the cause of my problems. I'm at a loss.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Eggnogspecial posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a mod with a huge dungeon? I feel the strange need to mindlessly murder my way towards the center of Nirn. I'm not too concerned about a solid plot, but at least an overarching theme would be nice. I just want to mindlessly kill in a downward direction.

How do you feel about free-falling instead? :v:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34475/

quote:

Fun Fact! The Pit is deeper than all of Skyrim is long.

Eggnogspecial
Feb 25, 2006

'tis the season.

NuclearPotato posted:

That looks pretty cool, but I was thinking more traditional. Maybe we can meet halfway and find a dungeon with a waterslide, like in Goonies.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mortimer posted:

or if they did they wouldn't ban you from the nexus for uploading a mod to change it

Wait, it was the unofficial patch that added the awful english dragon voice? I thought it was the first official patch?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

NuclearPotato posted:

I wonder if this was inspired by the Everfall in Dragon's Dogma.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Here's a... bizarre loving question here, but is there any chance that this horrendous stutter I get, only after being outdoors for a few minutes, is caused by my GPU hitting 80C? Because that's the weird thing I'm seeing that might be at fault: GPU usage is at or near 100% for the entire time I'm outdoors, GPU temp hits 80C, then almost invariably the stutter happens and Skyrim Performance Monitor shows GPU % spike down to nearly 0, as if it's trying to get that temperature way the gently caress down right the gently caress then. I'm about to try running again with my fan manually set to 100% capacity, which I know it hasn't yet been to because I can hear the difference in noise generation. edit: Also in NVIDIA Inspector I'm seeing that the TARGET GPU TEMPERATURE IS SET TO 79C. I think I just figured out my poo poo.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that sounds like thermal throttling. I know some cards don't use their full fan potential unless you modify the fan curve yourself. Alternatively you can improve airflow in your case with more fans or dusting, and also move your CPU to a cooler location like a basement or near an open breezy window.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
What sucks is that it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. What happens is that I get to a certain point and there's just endless choppiness/jerkiness/freezing/stuttering. I'm gonna loving remove my mods and try again. This is irritating me that I don't know what the problem is. :(

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somehow, it's Arthmoor's fault.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Try raising your target temperature if it will let you and see if it will stabilize in the mid 80's. I think I saw that it can go up to low 90's depending on the card and the cooler. Research your specific card before attempting, but that might help give you some leeway.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
It wasn't that. I thought it was, but it wasn't. Just a coincidence that it was hitting that temperature around the same time as the flakiness in-game. So weird. I've checked my RAM, I've done every single thing imaginable with the enblocal.ini file, I've turned Crash Fixes' allocation system off and back on, I just CANNOT fix this problem.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, I finally found what the culprit was: 16 gigs of textures from SMC. I guess it's time to go through and loving downgrade every texture I can. You would THINK having 3 gigs of VRAM and 8 gigs of RAM would allow the game to not flake the gently caress out, but I guess not.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Does it happen in any specific place? What's your modlist? Have you tried the Crash Fixes experimental skse_loader that completely replaces how Skyrim allocates memory? Have you emailed me your debit card number and security code? Have you checked to see if you may be hitting a key that activates functions of ENBoost? What texture mods are you using? What's your operating system? Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Edit: ah. My advice with HD textures is to concentrate on ones that you'll see all the loving time, or up close: faces, hair, sky, landscape, doors, etc.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 21, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I can get it to trigger pretty regularly by now. Start in Riverwood at the inn, hang a left out the door, down the road all the way to the Guardian Stones. Wait a few hours. Start turning around and HEY LOOK IT STALLS OUT DOING THAT. It seems to happen right when my VRAM is capped at the aforementioned 3 gig point and RAM usage is around 1600MB. Mod list is extensive, won't be able to post it all. What matters from it is that I'm using a nearly complete SMC loadout. Yep, tried Crash Fixes C malloc method. I can toggle ENB effects off and it still happens. Windows 7 x64 on the OS.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, anything loaded into VRAM is duplicated in Skyrim's allocation of RAM. That's how the engine works I guess. :shrug:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Agents are GO! posted:

Edit: ah. My advice with HD textures is to concentrate on ones that you'll see all the loving time, or up close: faces, hair, sky, landscape, doors, etc.

Just to make ONE MORE post... Agreed. I'm going through and purging everything that is simply too much quality. 2K signs? Don't need that poo poo. 2K animals? I can cope without that. I might even go through and knock the normalmaps down a tier entirely with DDSOpt

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, anything loaded into VRAM is duplicated in Skyrim's allocation of RAM. That's how the engine works I guess. :shrug:

I thought that was fixed with ENBoost or something.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Maybe on windows 7, but not on windows 8/10.

Would you like to upgrade to Windows 10? [YES] [NO (Yes)]

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

I thought that was fixed with ENBoost or something.

Not sure honestly, I know the ENBoost offloads excess data from Skyrim's allocation to dummy processes so dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Once you push over VRAM into regular RAM with texture info you're going go run into stuttering sooner or later. Like even with tons of RAM allocation you're still pushing tons of data through a much less efficient pipeline.

• Locked thread