Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is battle.net down? I can't get in to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

sorry but McCree + Zen + Ana ending the Age of Egyptian Dominance is A Good Thing, we definitely do not need Pharah buffs

Pharah is about as squishy as her other friends in the Offense category now

Ana is egyptian

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Teikanmi posted:

Is battle.net down? I can't get in to the game.

Nope. Did you download the patch yesterday? It could be downloading now if not.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Walrus posted:

nah you just can't fly around with impunity anymore. I've had a lot of success playing a more ambush -centric playstyle with pharrah

edit: also even the best mcree can rarely do poo poo if you get good at conc blasting him and then shooting a rocket at where you know he'll land :cool:

e2:

lol were you playing with me last night I kept getting potg for exactly that

Yeah you can still kill McCree with a conc+rocket combo, for sure. But now its far more likely that you can be plinked down from long range without being able to really return fire. Its definitely a meta-nerf for the Pharah hero which for many, can be a good thing. For me, a Pharah favorite, not so much :D

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DrSeRRoD posted:

Nope. Did you download the patch yesterday? It could be downloading now if not.

Yep. Can't even get into battle.net

I think the Asia server is taking a poo poo

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jastiger posted:

Yeah you can still kill McCree with a conc+rocket combo, for sure. But now its far more likely that you can be plinked down from long range without being able to really return fire. Its definitely a meta-nerf for the Pharah hero which for many, can be a good thing. For me, a Pharah favorite, not so much :D

so get on a roof. mcree cant' get up there. pharrah is still the best hero in the game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

nickhimself posted:

There's a huge difference between trying to play someone better, and being a useless Genji on your team who thinks he's good but just dies all day.

not that you can tell from outside there isn't, barring them saying so

e: i mean if this is stealth venting about a regular teammate then sorry i said anything but trying to gauge a random player's motivations based on how they play is a fool's errand

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Maybe now Pharahs will learn to use their flight tactically, rather than just hovering around all the time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ana is egyptian

whoa that changes everything

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe now Pharahs will learn to use their flight tactically, rather than just hovering around all the time

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
The best advise I think you can give new Pharah players is to have a plan for where you're going to land before you rocket boost.

(The place you land should be elevated and safe, preferably)

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Teikanmi posted:

Yep. Can't even get into battle.net

I think the Asia server is taking a poo poo

I was able to log in just fine and I ran into Korean and Chinese players...for some reason. Maybe your internet is just wonky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy5QS1RCE6M

Anyways, I booped about ~10 people in a single session as Lucio off of the map and then ran into this guy:

I already did that math. That's 9 hours of Overwatch a day, translating to 63 hours of Overwatch a week.

That's not only more hours than a full time job. Assuming this person sleeps for at least 8 hours, more than half of their time spent awake is spent playing Overwatch every single day.

That's dedication.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 20, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

What's the consensus on New D.Va? I feel like my survivability with her has skyrocketed now that the barrier is so much easier to use, but I'm curious to know what other people think.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
She's better than before

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

What's the consensus on New D.Va? I feel like my survivability with her has skyrocketed now that the barrier is so much easier to use, but I'm curious to know what other people think.

Her ult is pretty bonkers now especially since people don't expect it. On the more wide-open areas it's almost certainly at least one guaranteed kill if you just wait until you see a handful of people not close to doorways/corners. Seems pretty strong on most of the payload maps.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Theta Zero posted:

I already did that math. That's 9 hours of Overwatch a day, translating to 63 hours of Overwatch a week.

That's not only more hours than a full time job. Assuming this person sleeps for at least 8 hours, more than half of their time spent awake is spent playing Overwatch every single day.

That's dedication.

Could just be a streamer, so this would be their full-time job. 8-10 hours a day of gaming is nothing big these days with the popularity of twitch. That being said, I got tired of the game pretty quick when I played a lot the first two weeks, so either he/she has a strong will and/or a lot of friends around the clock to play with, while assuming they're really enjoying their time rather than a shared-account grind to the highest level.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Theta Zero posted:

Anyways, I booped about ~10 people in a single session as Lucio off of the map and then ran into this guy:

That's dedication.

It was the asian servers taking a dump indeed. That guy is the #3 most played Overwatch player in the world and he's SR 50. Jesus.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ana's voice acting is perfect. Smiling so hard

She sounds a lot - but at the same time not quite - like Shohreh Aghdashloo.
Which is a shame, they should have gone for her.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ana's voice acting is perfect. Smiling so hard

kinda sounds like she's just reading her lines off a piece of paper to me

maybe some people like that sort of thing

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Comp is where I go to practice Ana.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

nickhimself posted:

There's a huge difference between trying to play someone better, and being a useless Genji on your team who thinks he's good but just dies all day.

Also, it's Quick Play. If you're getting mad at someone who'd prefer to practice outside of a competitive mode, you're a crazy person.

Not everyone wants to play Competitive mode, especially without a team. It's not the end all be all for a lot of people.

For some this isn't life and they just want to play a couple games a day. So when you hop in and there are people trying characters they never have, it's frustrating to get stomped and barely be able to play for the few games you have.

If people would switch characters it wouldn't be a big deal, but they lock into what's picked at the beginning to get those sweet sweet Medals.

Theta Zero posted:

I was able to log in just fine and I ran into Korean and Chinese players...for some reason. Maybe your internet is just wonky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy5QS1RCE6M

That's dedication.

How can he spend this much time, be that low rank, and continue to waste more time?

goodness fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 20, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

goodness posted:

Not everyone wants to play Competitive mode, especially without a team. It's not the end all be all for a lot of people.

For some this isn't life and they just want to play a couple games a day. So when you hop in and there are people trying characters they never have, it's frustrating to get stomped and barely be able to play for the few games you have.

If people would switch characters it wouldn't be a big deal, but they lock into what's picked at the beginning to get those sweet sweet Medals.

How can he spend this much time, be that low rank, and continue to waste more time?

It's just quick mode, and quick mode is the only way to get an accurate idea of if the way you're playing a character actually works against other people so get over it. If you want people to be good and on their game you play comp, which you can just as easily play a couple games a day of.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

goodness posted:

If it's fun for them, is it really a waste?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Verranicus posted:

It's just quick mode, and quick mode is the only way to get an accurate idea of if the way you're playing a character actually works against other people so get over it. If you want people to be good and on their game you play comp, which you can just as easily play a couple games a day of.

You can play one comp game in the time it takes to play 2-3 regular games a lot of the time.

DrSeRRoD posted:

If it's fun for them, is it really a waste?

Probably. Spending that much time to attain mediocrity, it's up to you.

goodness fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

goodness posted:

You can play one comp game in the time it takes to play 2-3 regular games a lot of the time.

You get 2-3x the xp from a long comp game so it all works out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Those people with insane playtimes are probably account sharing.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Verranicus posted:

You get 2-3x the xp from a long comp game so it all works out.

Do you play this game to get xp?

XP amount is far from the point here.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

goodness posted:

Do you play this game to get xp?

XP amount is far from the point here.

Either way, you're wrong and quick play is where people should go to practice with heroes they're not skilled with as preparation for comp.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

goodness posted:

No offense, but you seem like a turd

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

mcbexx posted:

She sounds a lot - but at the same time not quite - like Shohreh Aghdashloo.
Which is a shame, they should have gone for her.

:agreed:

And they should have snuck in an easter egg line of her berating her son Behrooz

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

No offense, but you seem like a turd

Just had 6 games in a row of people picking Ana, not know her moves, and never switching. So I could be right now.

Still, if I practiced anything new for 8 hours a day for a month I would have a lot more to show for it than a 50 comp rating.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!

goodness posted:

I agree with this. Competitive can be kinda stressful because people take it really seriously and get super mad at strangers for not playing perfectly, even if they're a relatively low rank, themselves.
Meanwhile, quick play is often a group of people playing all Torbjorns and laughing at how they can't believe they won on defense (imagine that) or otherwise goof around with classes they're bad at.

It would be nice to have a compromise.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The key if you can't do comp with goons is to not give a poo poo what some strangers say/think on the internet. Half the fun I get from solo queue is listening to kids on summer break and childish adults lose their poo poo at me, and if you're some sort of creampuff that either can't handle/laugh at that you can still mute the team if you have to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I must be crazy because most of my quick play matches are really good, just with less bitching and problems with leavers than competitive.

This is with most people in those games being in around 45-70 comp rank.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Figured I'd finish my placement matches, lost 5 of the last 7 and had 1 or more people quit the team or get disconnected early in all 5 losses, ended up rank 45, great system Blizzard, 10/10 won't play ranked again

Hard to pick a favourite team mate between the Genji "main", and the one who played Symmetra on offence and didn't even put down a teleporter to pretend they were being an assault engineer.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 20, 2016

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

NTRabbit posted:

Figured I'd finish my placement matches, lost 5 of the last 7 and had 1 or more people quit the team or get disconnected early in all 5 losses, ended up rank 45, great system Blizzard, 10/10 won't play ranked again

You're sure sticking it to them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Verranicus posted:

Most white knights usually wait for a few more criticisms before jumping in for Blizzard, but ok

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

It is in fact all right to not play a mode you don't find enjoyable.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I miss the days when Hanzo was the least useful sniper on your team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ddraig posted:

I miss the days when Hanzo was the least useful sniper on your team.

all else being equal a bad hanzo is still far more useless than a bad ana, because a bad ana puts ults on other, potentially good players while a hanzo is still responsible for his own ryuus