Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

poptart_fairy posted:

The game isn't chastising you though. It's going "hey, games glorify this poo poo in a lot of cases - is that really a good thing".

Taking it as a personal, direct insult seems pretty weird.

Again, there are loading screens which specifically mock you, the player, for playing. It's small but redirects the narrative in a huge way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I dunno man, unless you're really loving easy to offend stuff that asks you how many Americans you've killed seems less of a piss take and more of a way to further highlight what it is you're doing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Eminem had a comic book?

Oh that's just part of a series.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wanted is a terrible example of what we're talking about. Even if his arguments were spot-on about the reader, they're still coming from a fat guy who wrote about a genetically super powered villain that had his powers and fortune handed to him. Those closing panels don't work on any level.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mark Millar isn't fat.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Then substitute whatever insult satisfies you.

He's a goony looking fucker regardless. :shrug:

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
The thing dragging down spec ops the line is that it's poo poo

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Spec ops is better than alpha protocol and TV show The Wire

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I am not to cool for school. I just think it's incredibly silly to let a video game judge you as a person.
ok

HaB posted:

Agreed. I also think it's silly for the game to mention it at all, as if they aren't literally making money off the very same war/torture/destruction.

"you're becoming desensitized to war and violence! *continues desensitizing you*"
Are you seriously trying to argue that using a game that initially follows the formula of a modern shooter only to then subvert the intended escapism of being a hero completely is "silly" ?

Like, this is not some super complex, it is literally loving asking you to be critical about the medium you are enjoying, which vast swathes of the people enjoying it have never, ever done and videogames especially avoid like the loving plague because they are shallow, insipid garbage by and large

We're talking about a medium where a game that unironically says "maybe the revolutionaries opposing literal slavery and racism are equally bad ~cause they kill people~" is hailed as a masterpiece of storytelling

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh that's just part of a series.

The Stoutest Punisher.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Again, there are loading screens which specifically mock you, the player, for playing. It's small but redirects the narrative in a huge way.
Not all of them:

:unsmith:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Deceitful Penguin posted:

We're talking about a medium where a game that unironically says "maybe the revolutionaries opposing literal slavery and racism are equally bad ~cause they kill people~" is hailed as a masterpiece of storytelling

This was the thing that really got me about The Division. The game opened with you instigating a lot of violence and what amounts to executions of people who are desperate, hungry and sick. Even as a desensitized-since-birth gamer, I was kinda taken aback by the abruptness of action and mercilessness the game expects of you... and it never even tries to call you/itself out on it.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

ok
Are you seriously trying to argue that using a game that initially follows the formula of a modern shooter only to then subvert the intended escapism of being a hero completely is "silly" ?

Like, this is not some super complex, it is literally loving asking you to be critical about the medium you are enjoying, which vast swathes of the people enjoying it have never, ever done and videogames especially avoid like the loving plague because they are shallow, insipid garbage by and large

If I sit for 20 hours playing a game of shootmans, then the game suddenly says "you know...you should really think about what it means that you are shooting mans. They could have families, wives, sons, daughters, dogs and cats....they aren't merely enemy mans....they're just like you...you are the mans shooting the shootmans! oooooooooh!" then yes - that's silly. I wouldn't have sat there for 20 hours playing shootmans if it wasn't for the fact you made a shootmans game, so telling me when I play the game YOU made that I'm a bad person for doing so is disingenuous at best and flat out stupid at worst. Asking the player to be critical of the medium doesn't exempt you from being an example of the exact thing the player should be critical about, nor does it make the game less shallow or insipid.

if a game really wants to subvert the genre - then it needs to actually DO that. Not make the same game as every other game, then say "you're not really the hero!" 3/4ths of the way through.

I think Dark Souls manages that idea really well. You meet NPCs throughout the entire game, and you help them in various ways which propel their questlines forward, until you eventually figure out they went Hollow and insane as a direct result of your "help". But it's not a big dumb reveal or worse - text on a loading screen breaking the 4th wall to speak directly to the player. Some people never figure out at all that it's you - the player character - that is the worst thing in Lordran. That is a good example of having the player think about the medium.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HaB posted:

so telling me when I play the game YOU made that I'm a bad person

ITT we are unable to understand messages the game outright says while paused.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I took that message as facetious, much like walker trying to justify his actions, the player is trying to justify that he's still playing and killing.

ok

Yeah its silly cause they're not real people and don't make me devalue real humans any less for shooting them. So yeah, I don't care.

quote:

No its saying a justifiable revolution can become bloodthirsty and lose track of its goals when a cult of personality figure head loses sight of what's important and tries to grab onto power. Citation: history.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Jul 20, 2016

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

RagnarokAngel posted:

I took that message as facetious,

So are you and HaB Tiggum's alts, or what

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Then substitute whatever insult satisfies you.

He's a goony looking fucker regardless. :shrug:
my girlfriend's family went to look at his old house once (late 90s, presumably he was selling because he was getting successful) and apparently there was a pervasive disgusting smell throughout

Huszsersvn
Nov 11, 2009

Nice world you've got here. Shame if anything were to happen to it.

HaB posted:

I think Dark Souls manages that idea really well. You meet NPCs throughout the entire game, and you help them in various ways which propel their questlines forward, until you eventually figure out they went Hollow and insane as a direct result of your "help". But it's not a big dumb reveal or worse - text on a loading screen breaking the 4th wall to speak directly to the player. Some people never figure out at all that it's you - the player character - that is the worst thing in Lordran. That is a good example of having the player think about the medium.

Are you quite certain that a player character is the worst thing in Lordran? It's hard to picture a stranger that would lend aid to another human being as culpable for the downfall of others. It's tragic, but their fates were their own - and so is yours. Isn't that the theme of the piece?

No, there are worse things than that in the land of ancient lords.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Huszsersvn posted:

Are you quite certain that a player character is the worst thing in Lordran? It's hard to picture a stranger that would lend aid to another human being as culpable for the downfall of others. It's tragic, but their fates were their own - and so is yours. Isn't that the theme of the piece?

No, there are worse things than that in the land of ancient lords.

He's saying that because everything you do to help those people it brings them closer to ruin. so even though you think you're doing the right thing the game responds by showing you that no good deed goes unpunished.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Like I said way back at the start of this conversation:

Oxxidation posted:

There's a huge amount of hearsay regarding The Line's writing process and nearly all of it is unreliable because gamers were goddamned livid at that title.

It's pretty much impossible to have a civil discussion about The Line because so many gamers felt personally slighted at its message, to the point where they ginned up tons of rumors and increasingly far-fetched interpretations of the script to paint the game in as hostile a light as possible. It says less about the game and more about how thin-skinned some people can be regarding a medium that habitually greets you with bursts of confetti and shiny medals when you've slain enough men. Something that tries to break that cycle of positive reinforcement (and not even all the way, you still get little statistic popups for headshots and the like) really had its work cut out for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also it's a very bad game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Oxxidation posted:

Like I said way back at the start of this conversation:

It's pretty much impossible to have a civil discussion about The Line because so many gamers felt personally slighted at its message, to the point where they ginned up tons of rumors and increasingly far-fetched interpretations of the script to paint the game in as hostile a light as possible. It says less about the game and more about how thin-skinned some people can be regarding a medium that habitually greets you with bursts of confetti and shiny medals when you've slain enough men. Something that tries to break that cycle of positive reinforcement (and not even all the way, you still get little statistic popups for headshots and the like) really had its work cut out for it.

I wish people were at least consistent in their hate, I would have loved to see people getting super mad at Undertale for calling them a murderer or KotOR 2 for being a Star Wars game that criticised Star Wars.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Also it's a very bad game.

I dunno what is worse: The gunplay being bad, the excuse its bad because "war is bad", or the fact nerds actually take it as a legit reason.

E: Cone of fire in games. We are at the point in gaming programming that we can make bullets no longer hitscan and can program recoil. It seems we cannot program guns with barrels that aren't made of some super malleable substance that can triple in size after heating up from bullets being fired to returning to normal size after a second cool down. This is dumb and stupid

Leal has a new favorite as of 20:26 on Jul 20, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
The gameplay wasn't great but I didn't despise it or anything. The fact that some people think it was made intentionally bad to fit with the message is amazing though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Now let's talk about censorship in games and how that only means any time a woman has more clothes on than her first appearance.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the ultimate sin of spec ops the line is that it tells more than it shows

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Spec ops is better than alpha protocol and TV show The Wire

holy
loving
poo poo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

This was the thing that really got me about The Division. The game opened with you instigating a lot of violence and what amounts to executions of people who are desperate, hungry and sick. Even as a desensitized-since-birth gamer, I was kinda taken aback by the abruptness of action and mercilessness the game expects of you... and it never even tries to call you/itself out on it.
hmmm, let's see what was the full title of that game again

(I know it's not written by him but the brand has that rep of HARD MEN MAKE HARD CHOICES OO RAH)

HaB posted:

If I sit for 20 hours playing a game of shootmans, then the game suddenly says "you know...you should really think about what it means that you are shooting mans. They could have families, wives, sons, daughters, dogs and cats....they aren't merely enemy mans....they're just like you...you are the mans shooting the shootmans! oooooooooh!" then yes - that's silly. I wouldn't have sat there for 20 hours playing shootmans if it wasn't for the fact you made a shootmans game, so telling me when I play the game YOU made that I'm a bad person for doing so is disingenuous at best and flat out stupid at worst. Asking the player to be critical of the medium doesn't exempt you from being an example of the exact thing the player should be critical about, nor does it make the game less shallow or insipid.
how loving terrible are you at shooters if it took you 20 hours to beat a game that's around 6 ish hours to beat. Do you have like, literal sausages for fingers or are you one of those people that play with their feet this is relevant because

HaB posted:

if a game really wants to subvert the genre - then it needs to actually DO that. Not make the same game as every other game, then say "you're not really the hero!" 3/4ths of the way through.
How loving ADD riddled are you dude if you can't tolerate a fairly rapid build up of increasingly dubious poo poo until finally you have gameplay elements outside the story drawing attention to what you are doing in the game and questioning why you enjoy it.

It's only in the last fifth that the game actually goes outside the 4th wall to draw attention to this. There's been relatively few games that actually do this (Eternal Darkness being perhaps the most famous example, thought MGS did it with the back of the CD case) but whatever.

At its core it is loving exactly the same goddamn game as the ones it's targeting; it's a singleplayer shooter with Nolan North as the main character who singlehandedly murders hordes of enemies to triumph in a fairly typical power fantasy, at least at the start. It then subverts it by making you do increasingly dubious poo poo for less reasonable reasons then directly calling you out for it, both in game and outside it, in a way that is extremely jarring and novel.

How the hell is that not subversion? And furthermore did you think that maybe, just maybe, the intended audience of the game was more likely to have never encountered criticism of this type before and therefore the sledgehammer might be more suitable than the chisel?

HaB posted:

This is the dumbest loving thing I've read about Dark Souls in months and I'm a huge nerd for the series that has been playing it since Kings Field 4. It's exactly the sorta smug idiocy where you get to feel superior to others by inferring non-existing patterns from what is ultimately a game not about facts but atmosphere and mood but drat, if you see something those drat casuals don't.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I took that message as facetious, much like walker trying to justify his actions, the player is trying to justify that he's still playing and killing.

Yeah its silly cause they're not real people and don't make me devalue real humans any less for shooting them. So yeah, I don't care.
Huhuhu, I don't feel bad about that thur character in that thur fictional work dying cuz it aint a real purson hyuck hyuck

RagnarokAngel posted:

No its saying a justifiable revolution can become bloodthirsty and lose track of its goals when a cult of personality figure head loses sight of what's important and tries to grab onto power. Citation: history.
Good to see you know about as much about history and games as Levine does

Guy Mann posted:

I wish people were at least consistent in their hate, I would have loved to see people getting super mad at Undertale for calling them a murderer or KotOR 2 for being a Star Wars game that criticised Star Wars.
Kotor 2 is probably the best Star Wars game, storywise, which is admittedly faint praise but at least it had several good and novel points to it

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Huhuhu, I don't feel bad about that thur character in that thur fictional work dying cuz it aint a real purson hyuck hyuck

Well. I mean, the answer to the question "how many Americans have you killed today," one of the early fourth wall hits, is almost certainly going to be zero for almost all players. But that's sort of the point that the game is making and I think the best answer to the whole "how is turning off the game a legit choice?" question. It's not fun, it's barely exciting, the combat is brutal and uninspired, and none of it is real. The player can stop whenever they choose. Asking the player why they care, why they persist, what payoff they think is waiting and how much more blood and nightmares they're willing to wade through to get to it, is a solid question. Walker thinks that killing Konrad will fix things. How? Why? Do you agree, player?

One could argue that the fourth wall breaks are there partially to drive a wedge between the player and the character, to remind the player that Walker makes the decisions and you just control his moment by moment actions.

For me, the payoff was seeing Walker confront the fact that it was indeed all in vain.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
You could make the point that "how many Americans have you killed today?" is still about Walker, just addressed to the player because of the inherently fourth-wall-breaking nature of delivering it as a loading screen tip. If not for the other ones I posted about earlier that are indisputably talking about the player ("this isn't real, so why should you care?" / "to kill for entertainment is harmless") it'd be a lot easier to argue that that's all they were going for.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:words: kotor 2 is good :words:

while I agree with you that kotor 2 was good, I'm going to take your custom title's advice

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

https://youtu.be/1lffg88WDRg

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

things dragging kotor2 down: tslrcm restored some content that it really would be better without.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

LibrarianCroaker posted:

things dragging kotor2 down: tslrcm restored some content that it really would be better without.

Agreed. The dialogue for the droid factory is pretty funny but the actual level is a punishing slog to play through and your reward is the strongest anti-droid weapon in the game...right after the last dungeon in the game to feature droids :ughh:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

(I know it's not written by him but the brand has that rep of HARD MEN MAKE HARD CHOICES OO RAH)
how loving terrible are you at shooters if it took you 20 hours to beat a game that's around 6 ish hours to beat. Do you have like, literal sausages for fingers or are you one of those people that play with their feet this is relevant because
How loving ADD riddled are you dude if you can't tolerate a fairly rapid build up of increasingly dubious poo poo until finally you have gameplay elements outside the story drawing attention to what you are doing in the game and questioning why you enjoy it.

It's only in the last fifth that the game actually goes outside the 4th wall to draw attention to this. There's been relatively few games that actually do this (Eternal Darkness being perhaps the most famous example, thought MGS did it with the back of the CD case) but whatever.

At its core it is loving exactly the same goddamn game as the ones it's targeting; it's a singleplayer shooter with Nolan North as the main character who singlehandedly murders hordes of enemies to triumph in a fairly typical power fantasy, at least at the start. It then subverts it by making you do increasingly dubious poo poo for less reasonable reasons then directly calling you out for it, both in game and outside it, in a way that is extremely jarring and novel.

How the hell is that not subversion? And furthermore did you think that maybe, just maybe, the intended audience of the game was more likely to have never encountered criticism of this type before and therefore the sledgehammer might be more suitable than the chisel?
This is the dumbest loving thing I've read about Dark Souls in months and I'm a huge nerd for the series that has been playing it since Kings Field 4. It's exactly the sorta smug idiocy where you get to feel superior to others by inferring non-existing patterns from what is ultimately a game not about facts but atmosphere and mood but drat, if you see something those drat casuals don't.
Kotor 2 is probably the best Star Wars game, storywise, which is admittedly faint praise but at least it had several good and novel points to it

lol

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

HaB posted:

so telling me when I play the game YOU made that I'm a bad person for doing so

the game they made and you bought

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Nice meltdown

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Smouldering Lake drags down Dark Souls 3 - it's an optional area but it's one that's fairly easy to reach if you take a turn at essentially a two pronged fork in the game.

I guess it's designed to test the player but it does so in the cheapest way possible for Dark Souls. You start by getting sandwiched between a giant laser spitting worm and a giant ballista that will shoot you with giant bolts, three at a time relentlessly. There are certain cover positions but not that many. Sure, you can kill the worm but upon entry you can do nothing about the ballista. And if you run away from the giant worm? Giant crabs instead rear end in a top hat.

So then the giant ballista blows a hole in the floor. Hooray, right? Wrong. Instead it's tight corridors full of pyromancers and Oolacile looking motherfuckers who have a "jump on your head" unblockable attack that was taking my level 55 guy down in two hits.

I haven't reached the boss yet but I'm sure that's as much of a kick in the dick as the path to shut off the ballista (it's full of enemies that can turn you to stone and swarm you).

ETA: I know the Dark Souls games are challenging, but it's usually in a way that can be overcome with patience and timing. Getting swarmed by multiple enemies while a giant cannon shoots your face off is not challenging, it's bullshit. There's no skillful way to handle that situation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Deceitful Penguin is not wrong.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Smouldering Lake drags down Dark Souls 3 - it's an optional area but it's one that's fairly easy to reach if you take a turn at essentially a two pronged fork in the game.

I guess it's designed to test the player but it does so in the cheapest way possible for Dark Souls. You start by getting sandwiched between a giant laser spitting worm and a giant ballista that will shoot you with giant bolts, three at a time relentlessly. There are certain cover positions but not that many. Sure, you can kill the worm but upon entry you can do nothing about the ballista. And if you run away from the giant worm? Giant crabs instead rear end in a top hat.

So then the giant ballista blows a hole in the floor. Hooray, right? Wrong. Instead it's tight corridors full of pyromancers and Oolacile looking motherfuckers who have a "jump on your head" unblockable attack that was taking my level 55 guy down in two hits.

I haven't reached the boss yet but I'm sure that's as much of a kick in the dick as the path to shut off the ballista (it's full of enemies that can turn you to stone and swarm you).

That whole area sucks poo poo, unfortunately. Also, there is no boss in the tunnels, that's all bonus dicking around to do. The fog gate at the far end of the single massive open area leads to the boss. Which is a pretty baffling choice because it means your only reason to go into the tunnels is if you want to turn off the ballista... which you don't have to do if you're there to fight the boss because you can just ignore it and go right to the fog. And after you turn off the ballista you can explore the lake at your leisure... but the lake is just that single big area and there's nothing else to it besides the entrances to the tunnels.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

CJacobs posted:

Deceitful Penguin is not wrong.

maybe so, but he needs a snickers or something

CJacobs posted:

That whole area sucks poo poo, unfortunately. Also, there is no boss in the tunnels, that's all bonus dicking around to do. The fog gate at the far end of the single massive open area leads to the boss. Which is a pretty baffling choice because it means your only reason to go into the tunnels is if you want to turn off the ballista... which you don't have to do if you're there to fight the boss because you can just ignore it and go right to the fog. And after you turn off the ballista you can explore the lake at your leisure... but the lake is just that single big area and there's nothing else to it besides the entrances to the tunnels.

unless you want the pyromancy tome or the bks, there's not much need to go into the tunnels. I think you get the fugs there, as well.