Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

id play a thousand nep games before i played another chrono trigger-inspired rpg

heck id play a thousand nep games before i played chrono trigger again, chrono trigger was never all that great

It's clear you're being facetious but then you have some really bad opinions on JRPGs so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

no theres a fair amount of side quests that require a lot of skipping through dialogue and walking to reach like the 3 or so that have parts that take place while you infiltrate the city with the beastmen musical troupe and all of the ones at that little village that you get to after a city gets set on fire

There's absolutely places you have to skip dialogue but not like 20 minutes and a forced boss fight for a bunch of sidequests.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved RH but it definitely felt like a proof of concept game that could use a sequel to simply refine its mechanics. What they had there, while still very fun, could have been so much better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
chrono trigger is pretty good i think, it has a fun cast and lots of really cool character moments, the main plot is a pretty fun time travel adventure thing, but gameplay-wise i got really really worn out with it because the combat just feels ridiculously slow

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

id play a thousand nep games before i played another chrono trigger-inspired rpg

heck id play a thousand nep games before i played chrono trigger again, chrono trigger was never all that great

On the other hand nep games are worthless garbage while Chrono trigger is a fantastic game and an all time classic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I like it but the constant pointless dialog choices are annoying me.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the point of those is. I don't necessarily expect my dialog choices to have any actual effects in a game like this. I wish they'd just made Endir a regular silent protagonist and been done with it. I definitely don't want him to have actual dialog--I'd be terrified he'd just be generically "cool" and "dark" for most of the game--but the dialog choices just, eh. They're unnecessary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not being facetious at all. Chrono Trigger is a 5/10 game. It's super impressive for its time in terms of sprite animation and music and stuff but there's only two interesting characters in the game and they both gently caress off for the middle portion of it, the plot is really boring outside of Magus's subplot, and combat consists of spamming the same three/four attacks with way too long animations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pesonally, it's not that i dislike chrono trigger, but if i was given the choice between replaying it or replaying shadow hearts, which is about the same length, i'd probably go for shadow hearts

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Time travel as a world building device is an incredibly loving novel idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chrono Trigger is an excellent game but it does get overrated. The combat genuinely isn't very good on its own merits. It has extremely cool ideas (double/triple techs) but those ideas are poorly executed and rarely meaningful. The presentation is great but a lot of the coolest elements are actually at the very tail end of the game or locked behind NG+.

It's a problem with a lot of classics. It absolutely is a classic both in terms of tone, how it influenced the genres, and general quality, but that means people go "literally everything about this is perfect" and any criticism of CT's flaws comes across as saying it is a bad game.

This is actually part of why Setsuna isn't very good. Rather than focusing on what CT did well it tries to mimic its mechanics without understanding that... honestly CT didn't have great mechanics except insomuch as they had neat ideas.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Endorph posted:

I'm not being facetious at all. Chrono Trigger is a 5/10 game. It's super impressive for its time in terms of sprite animation and music and stuff but there's only two interesting characters in the game and they both gently caress off for the middle portion of it, the plot is really boring outside of Magus's subplot, and combat consists of spamming the same three/four attacks with way too long animations.

Even if you weren't full of poo poo, 2 interesting characters and good spritework are better than zero interesting characters and lovely 3D + pulsating jailbait anime girls. Also complaining about spamming the same attacks with long animations when some of the animations in Nepgames are long as poo poo and you repeat the same 1-2 throughout a whole game is p funny.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

pulsating jailbait anime girls

:yikes:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I mean Suikoden 2 is and always will be the best JRPG.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you killed magus instead of accepting him into your cool guy crew, you're a failure at playing jrpgs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hate Neptunia and all the compile heart games but that's because I hate that type and style of presentation and writing. And a turn-based system has to be absurdly polished and not look budgeted to overcome that, which the compile games aren't.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I at least find a good chunk of the nep cast funny and likable, and the later nep games take big steps to improving the combat and making it less spammy/making animations faster. And I was legitimately more interested in a good chunk of the nep games' plots than I ever was in Chrono Trigger's.

And I like tsunako's artstyle, it's very colorful and cute. the graphics in nep aren't great though, yeah.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Verranicus posted:

I mean Suikoden 2 is and always will be the best JRPG.

Suikoden 2 doesn't have a sassy goomba girl with a cool hat.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like Suikoden 2 a fair bit but even with how fast the combat it is it still needs to be a little faster for how rote it is, and inventory management is a huge pain in that game. And it doesn't really take advantage of the big number of characters you can put in your party when the combat's so simple that they're mostly functionally identical.

Good game though.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Suggestions for a rpg where stats barely matter (besides maybe giving you better/more dialog options) and you are basically playing a well-written story? I don't want to have to worry about min-maxing, looking up character development trees, or basically making many decisions about my actual stats.

Planescape: torment is probably the obvious choice, but what besides that?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Chrono Trigger is in fact, not that good

I will say it's good that it's only a 20 hours game that doesn't overstay its welcome

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You've always been able to skip animations in Nep games, I think? And again yeah, Megadimension Neptunia VII has greater emphasis on buffs, debuffs and positioning your characters in battles and your special attacks can be used per battle now instead of per dungeon, which means you're spamming the same attacks over and over again much less. This coupled with actual level designs for dungeons instead of the same half-assed dungeons over and over again are why I'd say it's the first actual good game in the series, though you'll still hate it if you don't like the characters and humor. I won't defend the gameplay of the older Nep games though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm gonna play chrono cross when i'm done with shadow hearts 2

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What I've seen of the original Neptunia looks genuinely horrific, but VII makes it look like test footage (even more so than it already does, because yikes).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

What I've seen of the original Neptunia looks genuinely horrific, but VII makes it look like test footage (even moreso than it already does, because yikes).

re;birth's combat isn't very good but it's still probably better than the first game because at the very least most attacks animate way faster and it actually visually looks better, too

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
All Compile Heart games are poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

I hate Neptunia and all the compile heart games but that's because I hate that type and style of presentation and writing. And a turn-based system has to be absurdly polished and not look budgeted to overcome that, which the compile games aren't.

I find the Neptunia games to be a mechanical disaster, even the supposedly 'good' ones which only manage to be good in that the combat is fast and ignorable enough you can overlook the fact it's a garbage fire behind the scenes.

And I don't mind the occasional poor mechanical game if it makes up for it with other elements but Neptunia has genuinely bad art design. The character designs are genuinely whatever/give-and-take but the level and environment design is awful. Like straight-up terrible both in graphical quality and environmental design. The dungeon design is extremely weak and the layout of areas in stuff like Rebirth is just designed to increase tedium.

I can understand why people like it for the humor but I just don't find them worth playing from an actual gameplay perspective unless what you're looking for is fast shiny JRPG combat involves cute anime girls and even there I'd recommend like two or three other franchises before Neptunia.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Verranicus posted:

All Compile Heart games are poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think the character design in neptunia is really good, and i like some of the cute details in the company/game cameo character designs

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

If you don't like chrono trigger I don't even know why you are in this thread because you obviously don't like rpgs

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i'm gonna play chrono cross when i'm done with shadow hearts 2

A wise decision. It's a good game.

The Colonel posted:

if you killed magus instead of accepting him into your cool guy crew, you're a failure at playing jrpgs

Magus has the rather unique distinction (in my experience, anyway) of being both the best hero and the best villain of a game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Indecisive posted:

If you don't like chrono trigger I don't even know why you are in this thread because you obviously don't like rpgs

This is a good post and I agree with it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Indecisive posted:

You don't get to be a cool goon unless you constantly reaffirm "actually (popular thing) is bad :smug:"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
are we actually doing this right now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You don't get to be a cool goon unless you constantly reaffirm "actually (popular thing) is bad :smug:"

The "you don't like x because it's popular" thing is really stupid by the way

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Chrono Trigger is, in fact, very good.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

It's a problem with a lot of classics. It absolutely is a classic both in terms of tone, how it influenced the genres, and general quality, but that means people go "literally everything about this is perfect" and any criticism of CT's flaws comes across as saying it is a bad game.

This thread's plot is too predictable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
popular thing i like: final fantasy vii

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

I killed him once to see what happened but immediately reloaded my save game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I killed him once to see what happened but immediately reloaded my save game

you have already committed the act, there is no way to undo your mistake no matter how many times you reload your save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of JRPGs I've never really played: am I missing out on anything by not having played any of the Atelier games? I'm considering grabbing the Vita version of Escha/Logy once I finish Setsuna.