Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Dr McNinja: that fourth panel is masterful. Like their eyes went so wide with revelation they wrapped around to being really tiny. (I also really enjoyed the whole conceit of "fighting your clone against the backdrop of a shattered mirror", but that's over now. Maybe.)

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You really should, it's an invaluable part of webcomic heritage. I'm not being ironic.

To save you some time, let me impart to you the invaluable ancestral wisdom of our webcomic forebear: death is not zombies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's sort of like taking a cartoon - yeah, they're all drawings but you can intuitively accept that they're meant to represent living things and physical places - and then sticking a photographed actor in it, Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style. Suddenly the goofy celshaded critterfolk ain't just people anymore, they're all weird and inhuman, and it's gonna be super weird if you don't account for why they're different from real people somehow.

It's more like if you take a cartoon full of anthropomorphic animals and then stick a cartoon of a human in it. Were you bothered by Elmer Fudd too?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's sort of like taking a cartoon - yeah, they're all drawings but you can intuitively accept that they're meant to represent living things and physical places - and then sticking a photographed actor in it, Who Framed Roger Rabbit-style. Suddenly the goofy celshaded critterfolk ain't just people anymore, they're all weird and inhuman, and it's gonna be super weird if you don't account for why they're different from real people somehow.

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-591/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

The real question, tho, is whether poppy goes full DF and has giant sponge men running around.
Wait a second... able to reconstitute themselves after being squeezed through a vent, digesting with their whole bodies, making glass knives from their skeletons...

Giant sponge men would be pillar men.

I am now 100% unironically behind this idea.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You really should, it's an invaluable part of webcomic heritage. I'm not being ironic.

I think Dominic Deegan was a great webcomic experience to enjoy, but that it was really a "you had to be there" thing. Specifically, you had to be there in a mock thread with a lot of funny edits. Pretty much all the Dominic Deegan threads on any forum where any existed were full of edits. It was magical. Sadly, this is all gone to the digital dustbin, along with everything else ever put on ImageShack and Photobucket.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Deegan was just this

Perfect storm of awful that I don't think we will ever see again

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Personally, it's really interesting to me to think of humans as being just kind of there mixed in with everyone else. I feel like the way this would usually be done would have humans set apart from the animal people--not necessarily better or worse, but not part of the same group. I'm not entirely sure what it is that Poppy does that sells that aspect so well to me--possibly it's the fact that this is the only human we've ever seen--but the fact that Lila happens to be a human feels about as significant in-universe as the fact that the gatekeeper was a seal. I really dig it.

One thing that seems to have happened with the human in Poppy - and this might just be me seeing things, but hey - is that she seems to have been designed in the same way as the animal people, in that a bunch of specifically-human characteristics have been laid over the basic humanoid model. It's all a little exaggeratedly human. She's pulling expressive faces in every panel. Her costume shows off her bald limbs and human feet. She has a distinctive downward-pointing nose. There's tools built into her costume. It's like other animals had been asked to describe humans and a character design was based off that, and it makes her fit better in with the other character designs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
...and then the agent says to Mookie "my god, what do you call this act? :stonklol:"

And Mookie says "Dominic Deegan!" *jazz hands*

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

You can maybe read Problem Sleuth in one evening if you really put your mind to it, but Homestuck requires a week long time investment.

You really can't. I've tried. And even if you could, you shouldn't-- the wonderful weirdness that is Problem Sleuth is kind of ruined if you don't give it a chance to stew a little between installments.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Stormgale posted:

That makes me think of some weird version of Phrenology that proves opossum's aren't people in Poppy's world because they haven't changed/evolved.

Poppy's world literally has intelligent design as the origin of species insofar as we currently know soooo

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never thought of it before, but I guess the errant clone in Dr.McNinja mirrors the Spider-Man clone saga in a way, just instead of wanting to become a superhero like his original like what Ben Reilly did, Old McNinja just wanted to go off and do farm, and went a little loopy from loneliness.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

neogeo0823 posted:

So, In Sword Interval today, uh this is kinda like some nightmares I've had. Also, the author seems to be playing out the story of The S M I L I N G M A N in its entirety, for anyone here who's been playing SS13 for a while.

EDIT: drat, you need archives to get to the actual post, but someone quoted it, so you'll just have to live without the pictures.
Well now I'm just imagining if they encountered a buttbot scenario.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Poppy's world literally has intelligent design as the origin of species insofar as we currently know soooo

That's kind of my issue with Lila. Her design is fine, but my initial reaction was, between her and the "Iron Matron #53" thing, that way too much got called into question. The story Poppy tells at the start is literally the entire premise of the comic. The bit about the gods. Is there a human god? If not, what's her deal? How do the other animals see her? And Madame Mysterio is just going around assigning the title of Iron Matron at random? I'd like to think she's a more reliable source than that and is actually right while this weird information network group isn't, and... Look, I just think it's just too early in the story (Morbi said it's like 5% through?) to be questioning your premises this hard.

Also the weirdos who are bandying about monkey comparisons because she isn't lily white, which comes off racist as hell. "No Human has that skin tone" my rear end.

Edit: I've read -some- of Deegan. I've also read -some- of Gonterman and -some- of forum favorite "tails got trolled" and a couple other similiarly 'good bad' webcomics and, uhh, yeah. They're not for me.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 20, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Somebody in the Poppy-verse has to wonder "Why don't humans look like anything?". :v: (Note, link is to an oglaf comic, probably not something to click on if you're at work. You've been warned.)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

That's kind of my issue with Lila. Her design is fine, but my initial reaction was, between her and the "Iron Matron #53" thing, that way too much got called into question. The story Poppy tells at the start is literally the entire premise of the comic. The bit about the gods. Is there a human god? If not, what's her deal? How do the other animals see her? And Madame Mysterio is just going around assigning the title of Iron Matron at random? I'd like to think she's a more reliable source than that and is actually right while this weird information network group isn't, and... Look, I just think it's just too early in the story (Morbi said it's like 5% through?) to be questioning your premises this hard.

Also the weirdos who are bandying about monkey comparisons because she isn't lily white, which comes off racist as hell. "No Human has that skin tone" my rear end.

Edit: I've read -some- of Deegan. I've also read -some- of Gonterman and -some- of forum favorite "tails got trolled" and a couple other similiarly 'good bad' webcomics and, uhh, yeah. They're not for me.

Can't see any reason why humans wouldn't just be under the purview of an Ape God.

I dunno I just don't feel like the inclusion of humans actually raises that many questions! You can have a bunch of different kinds of foxes and wolves and dogs and presumably those are all under the domain of a Canine God or Goddess, why would the same not apply to Humans and Apes?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I believe the DnD human origin story might apply.

The gods got together around a little ball of clay. Each in turn molded it into the shape of the race they were making, then magicked it into existence.

At the end the clay got animated thanks to all that builtup god magic, and since it was using all the random races as a template it just kinda blended into an unremarkable average, creating the human.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Captain Bravo posted:

Somebody in the Poppy-verse has to wonder "Why don't humans look like anything?". :v: (Note, link is to an oglaf comic, probably not something to click on if you're at work. You've been warned.)

Humans can't use magic because magical energies kill them, and their usual advantage of being the only sapient and thumbs-having race doesn't apply, but humans have the advantage of being really efficient long-distance runners, decent climbers, swimmers and sprinters, and having sweat glands. Also they can get sunburned, which I think pigs can too and isn't really an advantage.

Also, immediately talking about 'advantages' and 'disadvantages' of race and species being one of the first thing you discuss about someone strikes me as a really sociopathic or racist way of thinking. Especially when it only suddenly appears with humans. I feel like I've turned into a :biotruths: guy.

Oh well, while I'm discussing weirdly racist things may as well point this out: a few entirely natural examples of Lila's skin tone are among the Inuit and Mediterranean populations. (Skin tone isn't an indication of nationality/Fantasy setting without necessarily earth nation equivalents/skin tones can vary widely among populations/lighting can have drastic effects on complexion color/ etc . All I'm saying is it's an entirely possible skin color variation assuming other factors aren't messing with it.)

Her abusing bronzing sunscreen might also actually be happening. Don't ask me, I don't know her life.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Can't see any reason why humans wouldn't just be under the purview of an Ape God.

I dunno I just don't feel like the inclusion of humans actually raises that many questions! You can have a bunch of different kinds of foxes and wolves and dogs and presumably those are all under the domain of a Canine God or Goddess, why would the same not apply to Humans and Apes?
Indeed! Consider, Virginia Opossums and Shorty Possums apparently shared the same tree of life.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

She looks very slightly animalised because of the upturn on the mouth, which is a fairly iconographic way of representing a snout or muzzle, and because the bottom of her feet are very deliberately lighter, like pseudo-pawpads. It could just be a way of blending humans a little more into the setting, of course, and is just generic animalism rather than representing any specific species.

Jumping to not white therefore monkey is some real loving :stare: right there, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 20, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Fish Noise posted:

Indeed! Consider, Virginia Opossums and Shorty Possums apparently shared the same tree of life.

Fair enough. :shrug:

I still would have waited a while longer before bringing humans into this, but I forgot for a bit that this comic is more designed for the reader who waits until it's done and not so much the day-to-day readers so I'll reserve final judgements for when it's, uh, finalized. But in the short term something still feels off to me about it. This is one of the reasons I prefer to read finished comics.

I'm sure there's actual terms for those two types of comics but I forgot them. :negative:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

She looks very slightly animalised because of the upturn on the mouth, which is a fairly iconographic way of representing a snout or muzzle, and because the bottom of her feet are very deliberately lighter, like pseudo-pawpads. It could just be a way of blending humans a little more into the setting, of course, and is just generic animalism rather than representing any specific species.

Jumping to not white therefore monkey is some real loving :stare: right there, though.

The rest I can't comment on, but the palms and bottom of the feet having lighter coloration is a thing in pretty much all humans. It just only shows up clearly on particularly tan or dark skinned folks. I could see how some particularly fair skinned internet people might not know about that fact, though. :shrug: (Not that I'm trying to accuse you or anyone similar of anything so please don't take it the wrong way.)

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 20, 2016

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Humans can't use magic because magical energies kill them

I should point out that this only applied to a specific hypothetical scenario I was asked about, i.e: "what would happen if we ended up on Flora?"
Any humans that actually appear in the series are as naturally magic-attuned as anyone else.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Morbi posted:

I should point out that this only applied to a specific hypothetical scenario I was asked about, i.e: "what would happen if we ended up on Flora?"
Any humans that actually appear in the series are as naturally magic-attuned as anyone else.

Oh, okay. Cool. Thanks!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I'm trying to be optimistic here, like we don't -know- what was in the kings chair.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The rest I can't comment on, but the palms and bottom of the feet having lighter coloration is a thing in pretty much all humans. It just only shows up clearly on particularly tan or dark skinned folks. I could see how some particularly fair skinned internet people might not know about it, though. :shrug:

That's true, I didn't really think about that. Although it's probably not important and I can see this subject going down like the Hindenburg, so I'm gonna stop right here.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Lord of Hats posted:

the gatekeeper was a seal.

Wait a sec is that a pun

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
LEPIDUS

What manner o' thing is your crocodile?

MARK ANTONY

It is shaped, sir, like itself; and it is as broad
as it hath breadth: it is just so high as it is,
and moves with its own organs: it lives by that
which nourisheth it; and the elements once out of
it, it transmigrates.

LEPIDUS

What colour is it of?

MARK ANTONY

Of it own colour too.

LEPIDUS

'Tis a strange serpent.

MARK ANTONY

'Tis so. And the tears of it are wet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

So, In Sword Interval today, uh this is kinda like some nightmares I've had. Also, the author seems to be playing out the story of The S M I L I N G M A N in its entirety, for anyone here who's been playing SS13 for a while.

EDIT: drat, you need archives to get to the actual post, but someone quoted it, so you'll just have to live without the pictures.

i think "supernatural killer with a freakish grin" is generic enough that you can't trace visage's source to ss13

hell, i'm pretty sure the original iteration of visage could predate that story; sword interval is a reboot of parallel dementia and i have no idea when that comic first started up

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Who gives a poo poo about this when the real question is why does she have drums in her pants

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Phy posted:

Who gives a poo poo about this when the real question is why does she have drums in her pants

Did you not notice that they summoned that sweet bed? I would wear the goofiest loving drum pants for that kind of power.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Morbi posted:

Question about the human. Obviously, she's human. Is she Homo Sapiens?

e: Futurama was so good.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 21, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Genetically, a chimera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4RuB3gT8t0

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Tunicate posted:

Wait a sec is that a pun

It is both an obtuse pun and a gratuitous sorta-cameo of a selkie character from an old project of mine that went nowhere.

A.o.D. posted:

I joked about her being classified as "Homo magi," but I guess the official stance is a blanket "it's not important, don't worry about it" statement.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

Did you not notice that they summoned that sweet bed? I would wear the goofiest loving drum pants for that kind of power.

Anyone who has ever played Patapon knows drums are serious business.

Just imagine how much crazier the comic will get once she unleashes FEVER MODE

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 21, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Peggle has taught me that Fever is pretty important. This checks out.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Phy posted:

why does she have drums in her pants

Why don't you.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Anyone who has ever played Patapon knows drums are serious business.

Just imagine how much crazier the comic will get once she unleashes FEVER MODE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morbi posted:

It is both an obtuse pun and a gratuitous sorta-cameo of a selkie character from an old project of mine that went nowhere.

:bahgawd: Millennials and their selkies!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
hey you ship of fools this has nothing to do with webcomics but if you don't donate to put this hero in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber i will suck all of you into my hungry womanhood and shoot you into the sun like sweaty fat cannonballs, thanks

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cat Mattress posted:

I think Dominic Deegan was a great webcomic experience to enjoy, but that it was really a "you had to be there" thing. Specifically, you had to be there in a mock thread with a lot of funny edits. Pretty much all the Dominic Deegan threads on any forum where any existed were full of edits. It was magical. Sadly, this is all gone to the digital dustbin, along with everything else ever put on ImageShack and Photobucket.

DD was interesting because it was this constant feed of bad that could keep a mock thread from getting too weird in breaks between updates combined with like..... an astounding talent for taking the most unimaginative or lazy way out of any conflict, usually while introducing really unfortunate implications about whatever topic was being covered (ie the only gay man in the comic having an obsessive crush on Dominic Deegan and also getting off on killing people and fantasizing about killing Dominic's girlfriend/fiance/wife so he could have Dominic all to himself). It was so thoughtless and low-effort but so, so successful in a way that's inexplicable today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Nuns with Guns posted:

DD was interesting because it was this constant feed of bad that could keep a mock thread from getting too weird in breaks between updates combined with like..... an astounding talent for taking the most unimaginative or lazy way out of any conflict, usually while introducing really unfortunate implications about whatever topic was being covered (ie the only gay man in the comic having an obsessive crush on Dominic Deegan and also getting off on killing people and fantasizing about killing Dominic's girlfriend/fiance/wife so he could have Dominic all to himself). It was so thoughtless and low-effort but so, so successful in a way that's inexplicable today

DOWN
TOWN
EROSSUS

• Locked thread