Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Aurora posted:

Dragon's Dream actively fucks with the user and also makes him drink his own piss

Now we know more about your predilections!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Cute little Doppio > James Hetfielduh

Why not both :(

Risotto is qt and Metallica is a Stand that makes me queasy to think about, which is how you know it's a cool Stand

Also Daxing Dan's take on KC was basically how I figured it worked. I really never thought a lot about how Narancia's death worked; I confess sometimes I just can't quite suss the steps leading up to an action in JoJo so I'll shrug and just figure it is what it is. Having so-so scans in the past often contributed to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Everything about the bad VA is like trying to read piss. Impossible to make heads or tails of because the dialogue sucks and the scans are atrocious with it.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bruno getting punched through has some really cool looking panels even if it's horrifying. The old scans really kinda ruined that. But hey, you take what you can get.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Still not allowed to skip it!!! There is no King Crimson'ing part 5

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
No, see, bad translations *are* what King Crimsons part 5. I went to read it, and I have read it, but I honestly can't say what happened in between. Now with a better quality of translation I might actually get to understand what happened in the story as intended.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Part 5 is the best story taking place in Vienna I've read.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!
Narancia's death doesn't make a ton more sense when the scans are better--one second he's looking down on the action, and the next he's just dead. But if Dan's explanation of KC is right--and that's how I've always interpreted it, at least--Diavolo could easily use his time-skipping ability to set up a situation where he can move to Narancia and impale him once time's moving normally again, and then potentially also skip some more time till Narancia's dead, without anyone noticing and without having to break the rule that he can move but can't affect the projected images of other people in the period of skipped time.

Diavolo definitely also uses KC to confuse people, like when he uses Epitaph to show Bruno an image of himself in the near future (does he ever use that ability to mess with an enemy, specifically, again? I know he gives it to Doppio briefly in the Metallica fight...), but the power isn't just about disorientation, and it's definitely not amnesia: the time is just gone, and in his first fight with Bruno, you also see him predicting Bruno's punches and dodging out of the way as he watches KC's forecast. Mista also notes that Diavolo is using his ability to predict where bullets will hit, and dodge them as well as every environmental hazard Mista creates with collateral damage, in the final fight.

Dragon's Dream is ok. I love that the stand is just this kind of sassy neutral party, but the end of the fight with FF and the electric chair and the bouncy legs and all that crap is kind of dumb.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Part 5 is the best story taking place in Vienna I've read.

That still loving destroys me. How did I never notice the location names when I read? I guess I don't look at maps very carefully.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
a buddhist painting of a valley

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Momomo posted:

Don't we see gunshots phase through him because of his power? He can't just be confusing people, since he's invincible during the ten seconds.

Sequence of events:
1) Aerosmith fires at Diavolo
2) Diavolo is hit by bullets; bullets pass through Diavolo
3) Risotto is hit by bullets.

Diavolo uses King Crimson to erase #2, causing reality to immediately skip from #1 to #3 with Diavolo left unharmed. And, you're right that Diavolo is effectively intangible for the duration of his power, but for that same reason, he can't punch anyone in the midst of it like Dio can.

The disorientation is a side effect from sequences like these:

1) Wind up to punch Diavolo
2) Punch at Diavolo, Diavolo dodges
3) You finish your punch, having hit nothing.

When Diavolo erases #2, you immediately snap from #1 to #3. Then, you're left wondering where Diavolo just went, and why your arm is stuck out in front of you when you don't remember moving it. Meanwhile, Diavolo is punching a hole through your chest and chopping your shoulder in half.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess with Narancia's death, it's just forecast within Epitaph and because Diavolo knows it's going to happen, by any applicable means such as him running up, doing it and then getting back down, it's as simple as him just skipping that chunk of time with no real trickery involved. No one notices because those 10 seconds where he just runs straight up, kills him and goes back to where he was laid out don't matter anymore and then from that point he can just skip time without moving until Narancia is dead while everyone else is looking around wondering what is up.

e: Like he's not changing something while intangible in the skipped time, he's just fulfilling what was going to happen anyway

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 20, 2016

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i might be remembering wrong but since kc is a time stand is its range worldwide? I'm just basing that on it affecting the gang outside while bruno was in the church. that probably caused a few problems for pilots, doctors etc

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

no they will not posted:

i might be remembering wrong but since kc is a time stand is its range worldwide? I'm just basing that on it affecting the gang outside while bruno was in the church. that probably caused a few problems for pilots, doctors etc

I've never thought about this and now it's all I can think about.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

I'm no authority, but I don't think that Araki would ever skip showing how the effects of a stand would ruin the days of other people.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Every time you read about a car crash in the daily paper, that was King Crimson's fault.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mugticket posted:

I'm no authority, but I don't think that Araki would ever skip showing how the effects of a stand would ruin the days of other people.

Made in Heaven :allears:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mugticket posted:

I read this totally backwards and was like "uhhhh i'm pretty sure there's a whole chapters worth of pages Araki of drew of people's lives being destroyed by Made In Heaven". Cape Canaveral Part 6 is so so good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

no they will not posted:

I think Buccellati commented it had a low range or something. Also the Gang would have noticed something weird was up while he was fighting with the Metallica guy.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 20, 2016

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

but Rohan still makes his deadlines.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Daxing Dan posted:

My working theory on King Crimson is this:

When Diavolo activates King Crimson, he sees the future movements of people for 10+x seconds into the future. He can select any point within this time frame to skip to, and that causes everything in the world to teleport into the position and state they would be at that point. Only Diavolo can freely control his actions during this timeframe, and nobody else realizes they've been teleported, so it's also the perfect way for Diavolo to set up an attack that's just about impossible to react to.

Diavolo doesn't seem to be able to directly interact with anything during his time skip, otherwise he'd be straight up unstoppable, rather than simply nigh-unstoppable.

For the Metallica fight, he activates KC right before the bullets hit him, and erases the time interval where the bullets are passing through him, so the bullets get "teleported" through him without actually harming him.

The main issue is it doesn't explain how Diavolo can attack Trish and Narancia without anyone noticing.

This is how I always imagined KC working. Teleporting is a good way to think of it, just teleporting through time instead of space.

FirstAidKite posted:

Everybody who says the dragon's dream fight is bad should give it a reread. I did and I've decided it is actually a good fight and not a bad one and I'm not sure why I ever thought it was a bad fight. Maybe I was just speeding through stone ocean too quickly so I was having trouble committing all of it to memory or something

I think the fights in Stone Ocean are better than people give them credit for, but the arc is paced poorly and at least I started getting fatigued from all of the abstract, high-concept stands that get introduced.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I wonder if an anime of Stone Ocean will help pacing where instead of just sitting down and reading like three absurd and hosed up fights in like thirty minutes, you get 22 minutes of one fight a week. Maybe not, since Part 6 is really ALL fights, but may just help the constant fatigue of trying to keep with everything and then having to switch your brain to a new fight ten minutes later with reading

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Daxing Dan posted:

Sequence of events:
1) Aerosmith fires at Diavolo
2) Diavolo is hit by bullets; bullets pass through Diavolo
3) Risotto is hit by bullets.

Diavolo uses King Crimson to erase #2, causing reality to immediately skip from #1 to #3 with Diavolo left unharmed. And, you're right that Diavolo is effectively intangible for the duration of his power, but for that same reason, he can't punch anyone in the midst of it like Dio can.

The disorientation is a side effect from sequences like these:

1) Wind up to punch Diavolo
2) Punch at Diavolo, Diavolo dodges
3) You finish your punch, having hit nothing.

When Diavolo erases #2, you immediately snap from #1 to #3. Then, you're left wondering where Diavolo just went, and why your arm is stuck out in front of you when you don't remember moving it. Meanwhile, Diavolo is punching a hole through your chest and chopping your shoulder in half.

This is also how I've always interpreted how KC works. It basically moves everything to where it would be in x seconds while preserving all interactions between objects except that nothing can interact with Diavolo or KC during skipped time. He uses this in combination with Epitaph to jump to the most opportunate moment to rip out some poor, confused bozo's spine. There's nothing very complicated about it, really.

Narancia's death is pretty simple. There are two timeskips in the scene, so basically Diavolo sees that in x seconds he's going to toss Narancia onto the spikes, timeskips to that moment, then immediately timeskips again to get away. Nobody notices the throw because they're all confused as gently caress.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He's so cute i love him

e:

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 20, 2016

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think I heard that exact argument from someone on Paradox Plaza.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

This is how king crimson works, jfc

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not angry enough

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Nerds need to brush up on their Futurama and watch Time Keeps On Slippin'

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That Futurama episode isn't that similar though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Cute little Doppio > James Hetfielduh

Gimme 「FUEL」

Gimme 「FIRE」

Gimme that which I 「DESIRE」

「OOWUH OOWUH OOWUH!!!」

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Late but I finally read the translated chapter.

Joshu is complete garbage and it's wonderful.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

"Joshuu eat your pancakes"

"I don't believe in god"

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Gimme 「FUEL」

Gimme 「FIRE」

Gimme that which I 「DESIRE」

「OOWUH OOWUH OOWUH!!!」
Splendid like a 「FIRE」

Give me your 「DESIRE」

『Speedycat』

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Now we know more about your predilections!

Wow!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Joushuu's a goddamned goon

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Dragon Dream didn't make its user drink his own piss, dude just did that of his own volition cause he was weird.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dragon's Dream just spoiling his user's powers and being kind of a jackass by being like "look I'm neutral okay I have no stake in this" is pretty funny.

I'm not sure I understood what was specifically happening when body parts touched the dragon itself though. I think it was just that they were guaranteed to hit in a way to complete the assassination. I liked how dude went from trying to do the drowning thing 3 times to deciding "ok this isn't going to work, time to use my weird martial arts and stand to kill this person final destination style"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
So DIO's stand The World was a holy diver, whose owner was down too long in the midnight see.
Killer Queen was guarenteed to blow your mind, every time.
King Crimson's user Diavolo is a 21st Century Schizoid Man
Pucci and Whitesnake... ??? A priest trying to find the Stairway to Heaven? I've lost the jokes.

Butt Ghost posted:

Splendid like a 「FIRE」

Give me your 「DESIRE」

『Speedycat』

I successfully forgot about that song until you referenced it, I hate y-:nyan:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

President Valentine just really liked AC/DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
confusion will be my epitath