Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
Was just watching the Battle for Zion scene from Matrix Revolutions on youtube, and realised how much fun this would be to play in VR with touch controls. It's basically perfect for VR, very little movement and 2 giant guns you just hold out in front of you and blast away. Full 360 view to shoot at the sentinels that get passed you. Multiplayer would be a blast, and you could even have people manning turrets along with the mechs.

There would be no way to win, the only goal is to see who can last the longest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't that what serious sam VR is going to be? But with way more style.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Still waiting for a Mechwarrior/Pacific Rim game to come out so I can drive robots in 3D.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thor-Stryker posted:

Still waiting for a Mechwarrior/Pacific Rim game to come out so I can drive robots in 3D.

Vox Machinae says they're releasing by the end of 2016, and you can play the demo now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WcqqxmKOA

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it a new demo?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

Is it a new demo?

I think it's that old demo.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

Looks like someone made a screen injector (ie have windows of other programs running inside of VR apps)

Someone should try it out, this would fulfill my dream of space trucking in Elite while watching tv like a fatass

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Friendly reminder that Vibe owners should look into those aftermarket VR covers that have been making the rounds. They fix the blur at the edges of the lenses and are sweat proof/easy to clean.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
What is it that causes that blur, anyway? I figured I just didn't have the fit right, but is it something else?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol that bobross in tilt brush

TheRagamuffin posted:

What is it that causes that blur, anyway? I figured I just didn't have the fit right, but is it something else?

Lens cause the blur. Apparently the optics aren't perfect yet in a 1st gen device! :v:

Real answer, it's really hard to make lens work for such a huge fov and keep image quality good all across it, even with the fresnel trick. Getting closer makes it a bit better, but it's still nowhere perfect.

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 21, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Lemming posted:

https://github.com/Hotrian/OpenVRDesktopDisplayPortal

Looks like someone made a screen injector (ie have windows of other programs running inside of VR apps)

Someone should try it out, this would fulfill my dream of space trucking in Elite while watching tv like a fatass

Trip report: Totally works in elite! You can position the overlay anywhere in the world, and even make it to fade away or shrink when you're not looking directly at it.

The frame rate is too low for movies though. I tried with Chrome and MPC-HC, Chrome was a slideshow, MPC worked OK for talking heads, but action scenes were still horrible.

Edit: Could be that the low frame rate is something on my end.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 21, 2016

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Overlay update. For some reason shrinking down the window does wonders to the FPS. It's also possible to run multiple overlays at once, by running multiple instances of the program. Now you too can watch top tier animes and reading shitposts while flying your spaceship.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That was my dream app, going to try it out tonight. Sweet!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

That is amazing and may fix the crippling boredom of Elite.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Rectus posted:

Overlay update. For some reason shrinking down the window does wonders to the FPS. It's also possible to run multiple overlays at once, by running multiple instances of the program. Now you too can watch top tier animes and reading shitposts while flying your spaceship.

Hell yeah, looks like I may have to do some space trucking again

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously put it over the SRV panel. Not like you'll use it during trucking :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Heads up, apparently that overlay does NOT work with the Rift in some games, most prominently Elite. It uses SteamVR and those games forcibly use Oculus's rendering solution, which prevents it from working.

Hopes crashed like when I tried to land on a 5g planet.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I approve of watching Macross Delta while playing Elite.

Hopefully someone finds a way to do this natively in the Rift.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Sky Shadowing posted:

Heads up, apparently that overlay does NOT work with the Rift in some games, most prominently Elite. It uses SteamVR and those games forcibly use Oculus's rendering solution, which prevents it from working.

In principle it should be possible to get it working by hiding the Rift dlls from Elite but not from SteamVR; that'd require a bunch of messy copying and renaming of DLLs each time you run it, though.

Stormangel posted:

I approve of watching Macross Delta while playing Elite.

Hopefully someone finds a way to do this natively in the Rift.

It'd be possible for someone to implement it in the Rift software using the same approach ReVive takes, it's just substantially more work. Valve provide an official mechanism for putting overlay windows in the VR scene, in Oculus it would have to be done by hand.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sky Shadowing posted:

You can allegedly run some games through revive to trick them into using steamvr on the rift instead :v:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I want a VR game where I'm crushing a city. Or also fighting giant monsters while the city gets crushed in the fight.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vadoc posted:

I want a VR game where I'm crushing a city. Or also fighting giant monsters while the city gets crushed in the fight.

Rampage VR needs to happen.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

That was something that the "V" guys with their overlay were working on. They said that Elite has issues due to its Engine not being Unity/Unreal so its taking them a bit longer to get it working. Probably the same reason it isn't working for Rift in Elite either which is unfortunate.

The second it works in the Rift and Elite is the second I am back to playing Elite. At least we know we are close.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rectus posted:

Well that just sounds freaking fantastic!

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Vadoc posted:

Probably the big limitation there is that VR only tracks your head (and hands if you have the Vive or Touch). Most games do a decent job of predicting where the rest of your body is, but they couldn't let you kick down buildings without full body (or at least foot) tracking.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
How about megatonne rainfall? Not sure thats vr or even on pc though

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

EdEddnEddy posted:

That was something that the "V" guys with their overlay were working on. They said that Elite has issues due to its Engine not being Unity/Unreal so its taking them a bit longer to get it working. Probably the same reason it isn't working for Rift in Elite either which is unfortunate.

The second it works in the Rift and Elite is the second I am back to playing Elite. At least we know we are close.

The issue is probably just that Elite tries to use the Oculus runtime over SteamVR when it detects a Rift. Ironically the Revive injector might help it run on the rift.

Rectus fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 23, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Little VR demo I'm putting together:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Senor Tron posted:

Little VR demo I'm putting together:

I think something is wrong with your mapping there. Looks like that thing is bigger on the inside.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Is there a way to get amazon prime streaming music into audioshield?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SanitysEdge posted:

Is there a way to get amazon prime streaming music into audioshield?

No, but there's a way to get Youtube to. I saw it on r/vive somewhere, if you want to find out more just search for it there. r/vive is probably the best source for any Vive stuff.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I spent most of last night playing Raw Data and it was semi impressive. I was blown away by Audioshield though. It just feels so real.

As someone who didn't believe the VR hype I can definitely say it's real and what you think it is. Granted it's not at the level you think it might be, but it's close and I couldn't imagine how disorientating and amazing a full body experience one would be like. It also makes me wish I knew how to develop games because I have so many ideas for this thing.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Steam is having a VR themed Weekend Sale.

Some good games in there and some nice discounts.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/vr_weekend

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Someone posted a video about Home Improvisation in IRC and it looks really cool.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/357670/?snr=1_620_4_1401_45

You build IKEA type furniture but you can put them together however you want, and mix and match different kits.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Figures they'd do a VR sale two days after I have to shell out for my car's AC to get fixed.
:suicide:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
http://uploadvr.com/ascension-vr-tabletop-card-game/

Anybody else get into the beta for this? There's a network playtest tonight I'm planning on trying out. I don't see too much that VR would add but I think it's cool that they're trying.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Hmm. After installing a 1070 in my box, Steam's VR readiness tool gives me a pass, while Oculus' says I need to upgrade my i5-2500. Anyone tried running a lot of VR games with a below-minimum CPU?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I think you'll probably be largely OK except for CPU intensive things like Job Simulator

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Oculus tool isn't a benchmark, it just checks what the model name is. The Steam benchmark doesn't really test CPU either though I guess it technically tests the CPU a little as it runs a graphics test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

http://uploadvr.com/ascension-vr-tabletop-card-game/

Anybody else get into the beta for this? There's a network playtest tonight I'm planning on trying out. I don't see too much that VR would add but I think it's cool that they're trying.

:v:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=646710697&searchtext=Ascension