Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Guess suing other countries over stupid reasons is Erdogan's new hobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I don't know enough about Gulen and his allies to know whether him being behind the coup is feasible. The opposition parties backing the Erdogan government is so strange.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So I wonder what the US is doing to keep Turkish Intelligence from assassinating Gulen? I assume at the least there are some FBI agents camped down the street.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So I wonder what the US is doing to keep Turkish Intelligence from assassinating Gulen?
Carefully monitoring nearby climbing gear stores?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't know enough about Gulen and his allies to know whether him being behind the coup is feasible. The opposition parties backing the Erdogan government is so strange.

It had nothing to do with Gulen in all likelihood. The manifesto put out by the coupers was bog-standard Kemalist Ataturk worship stuff, not a whiff of Gulen in it. As for the opposition the HDP are not fans of the Kemalist military and the CHP has been mostly defanged and cowed into submission by the AKP over the years

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

It had nothing to do with Gulen in all likelihood. The manifesto put out by the coupers was bog-standard Kemalist Ataturk worship stuff, not a whiff of Gulen in it. As for the opposition the HDP are not fans of the Kemalist military and the CHP has been mostly defanged and cowed into submission by the AKP over the years

Though the CHP and MHP would probably be happy to be "pick up the pieces" after the coup.

As for the true victor out of all of this is probably yet again....Putin.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How are those negotiations between Kerry and Russia going, considering that Turkey nearly stole our nukes and narrowly avoided war?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Considering that Turkey nearly stole our nukes and narrowly avoided war?

What happened when?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Bip Roberts posted:

What happened when?
Turkish forces occupied and cut power to the Incirik US Air Base for a few hours, which held Ballistic Missiles. We goons feared today that Turkey was stupid enough to start a loving war with us and WWIII, etc for several hours until defcon reported that they had left our base a while later. Still makes you think how quickly Cuban esque crises could escalate though.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Bip Roberts posted:

What happened when?

They closed a shared airbase for a few hours after the failed coup and Erdogan used tough language in Twitter regarding the US harboring his political enemy. Enter clancychat.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Turkish forces occupied and cut power to the Incirik US Air Base for a few hours, which held Ballistic Missiles. We goons feared today that Turkey was stupid enough to start a loving war with us and WWIII, etc for several hours until defcon reported that they had left our base a while later. Still makes you think how quickly Cuban esque crises could escalate though.

They cut power but they didn't occupy Incirlik nor does it hold ballistic missiles.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Grouchio posted:

How are those negotiations between Kerry and Russia going, considering that Turkey nearly stole our nukes and narrowly avoided war?

This didn't happen, Grouchio.

Calm down or talk to your therapist about your ww3 fantasies, they seem to be affecting your perception of reality.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Incirlik isn't a US base, it's a Turkish base belonging to Turkey's Turkish Air Force of Turkish Turkey, and it merely happens to be graceful host to US and other NATO forces, which are there as guests, and not as lord proprietors. In fact the US had to negotiate with Turkey to be allowed to use the base for raids against Daesh.

And the US nukes in Incirlik are gravity bombs, not ballistic missiles. Nuclear sharing is done only with gravity bombs.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Err, something something, coup/attempt in Armenia...?

Edit: OK, people getting sloppy w/labeling after Turkey events. Seems like a small armed group took over a police station, and demanding release of some political prisoners...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Yikes. Belarusian-Ukrainian journalist Pavel Sheremet just got assassinated by having the car he was driving in (owned by the owner of online newspaper he worked for) blown up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep. It's like 500m away from where my grandfather lives and along his route to some shops or metro station. While the collateral damage appears to be minimal, it's way too close for comfort.

Unsurprisingly, he wasn't on friendly terms with Moscow so that might have something to do with it :tinfoil:. Despite all the shittiness, it's hasn't been too common for journalists to be murdered in Kyiv so this is definitely a very unwelcome development. RIP Pavel of course.

Here's a BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36843808
And the original Ukrainian one from his employer: http://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2016/07/20/7115344/

Edit: Apparently a Ukrainain Forbes journalist was stabbed in a park yesterday by an unknown man. No other information, though it looks like she wasn't seriously injured.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 20, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
So here's a fun story from Zlovenia. The local cardinal was visiting from Vatican and of course also held a mass last week. It was, and this is no joke, dedicated to the Nazi collaboration during ww2.

During said mass, he said the "real national traitors" were the communists doing a revolution, and that the collaborators, or as he called them, "patriotic and democratic forces", were only doing a contrarevolution (:what:), and were "forced to accept and use invader help and weapons".

Not only is this an absolutely hilarious attempt at some revision of history, he also managed to call everyone (yes, everyone) who fought against the 3rd Reich a manipulated puppet of communism. Which is, as we all know, an ideology of fear and loathing. It's really unfortunate this country is completely inconsequential to absolutely everything, I'd love to see the Catholic Church try to spin this if it was said at some bigger, more visible event.

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's a BBC article: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36843808

Edit: Apparently a Ukrainain Forbes journalist was stabbed in a park yesterday by an unknown man. No other information, though it looks like she wasn't seriously injured.

Eastern Europe is turning into a loving James Bond movie. e: and I obviously don't mean this in a good way.

Truga fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2016

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Truga posted:

So here's a fun story from Zlovenia. The local cardinal was visiting from Vatican and of course also held a mass last week. It was, and this is no joke, dedicated to the Nazi collaboration during ww2.

During said mass, he said the "real national traitors" were the communists doing a revolution, and that the collaborators, or as he called them, "patriotic and democratic forces", were only doing a contrarevolution (:what:), and were "forced to accept and use invader help and weapons".

Not only is this an absolutely hilarious attempt at some revision of history, he also managed to call everyone (yes, everyone) who fought against the 3rd Reich a manipulated puppet of communism. Which is, as we all know, an ideology of fear and loathing. It's really unfortunate this country is completely inconsequential to absolutely everything, I'd love to see the Catholic Church try to spin this if it was said at some bigger, more visible event.

Eastern Europe is turning into a loving James Bond movie. e: and I obviously don't mean this in a good way.

When Russian propaganda complains about the rise of Nazism in former Soviet bloc countries they're essentially right. Like is this even a controversial assertion at this point?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In Slovenia, luckily these people have relatively little throw, and the hardcore right wing parties supporting this kind of bullshit have been getting less and less support since about 2008.

It's also a slightly bigger deal here, because I think we're the only place where poo poo got so bad the SS had to step in and tell the locals to tone it down a little :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

lynch_69 posted:

When Russian propaganda complains about the rise of Nazism in former Soviet bloc countries they're essentially right. Like is this even a controversial assertion at this point?

Well, yeah, but they're calling the wrong guys the nazis :v:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

lynch_69 posted:

It's more that they're still relatively insignificant (as in this case) but vastly overblown in size/influence in the propaganda. Also that Russia's own facist/hard right nationalist issue dwarfs the Eastern European groups and the Russian government funds many of them anyways.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The rise of violent right wing nationalism in russia is ok because their violent racist thugs celebrate the winning side of WWII, the rise of violent right wing nationalism in post-soviet countries is bad because they celebrate the losing side of WWII. The violence and ideology don't matter, just which side they look back upon fondly.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Warbadger posted:

It's more that they're still relatively insignificant (as in this case) but vastly overblown in size/influence in the propaganda. Also that Russia's own facist/hard right nationalist issue dwarfs the Eastern European groups and the Russian government funds many of them anyways.

That is true, Putin actively courts the hard right in Russia. Troubling news all round :(

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

The rise of violent right wing nationalism in russia is ok because their violent racist thugs celebrate the winning side of WWII, the rise of violent right wing nationalism in post-soviet countries is bad because they celebrate the losing side of WWII. The violence and ideology don't matter, just which side they look back upon fondly.

Russia also has actual, no kidding Nazis as well though. Basically they're everywhere to certain degree but it just makes sense for Russia to play it up because their national identity is based ariund defeating them in the Great Patriotic War.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

lynch_69 posted:

The part they forget to mention is that its largely because of them and with their explicit support that nazism is rising in those countries.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

A Pale Horse posted:

The part they forget to mention is that its largely because of them and with their explicit support that nazism is rising in those countries.

Create a problem, and then offer a solution. It's an old tactic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A video of the Sheremet assassination leaked out earlier today. Can't really see anything but yeah, his car goes boom :(.

A bit later, it seems that there's someone trying to get out from the rear-left door...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIv2gkUE6Jo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

A video of the Sheremet assassination leaked out earlier today. Can't really see anything but yeah, his car goes boom :(.

A bit later, it seems that there's someone trying to get out from the rear-left door...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIv2gkUE6Jo

Jesus. When someone said that attack was pretty self-contained, they weren't kidding. It took 5 seconds for that one guy to even turn around realize what was going on. There's one bystander who strolls completely off camera immediately after the explosion. I'm guessing that some folks thought it was a car accident at first and not a car bomb.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Thanks, America!

https://torrentfreak.com/feds-seize-kickasstorrents-domains-charge-owner-160720/

quote:

The U.S. Government has arrested the alleged owner of KickassTorrents, the world's largest torrent site. The 30-year-old Ukrainian was arrested in Poland today and is charged with criminal copyright infringement and money laundering. In addition, a federal court in Chicago has ordered the seizure of several KAT domain names.

kickasstorrents_500x500With millions of unique visitors per day KickassTorrents (KAT) has become the most-used torrent site on the Internet, beating even The Pirate Bay.

Today, however, the site has run into a significant roadblock after U.S. authorities announced the arrest of the site’s alleged owner.

The 30-year-old Artem Vaulin, from Ukraine, was arrested today in Poland from where the United States has requested his extradition.

In a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Chicago, the owner is charged with conspiracy to commit criminal copyright infringement, conspiracy to commit money laundering, and two counts of criminal copyright infringement.

The complaint further reveals that the feds posed as an advertiser, which revealed a bank account associated with the site.

It also shows that Apple handed over personal details of Vaulin after the investigator cross-referenced an IP-address used for an iTunes transaction with an IP-address that was used to login to KAT’s Facebook account.

“Records provided by Apple showed that tirm at me.com conducted an iTunes transaction using IP Address 109.86.226.203 on or about July 31, 2015. The same IP Address was used on the same day to login into the KAT Facebook,” the complaint reads.

In addition to the arrest in Poland, the court also granted the seizure of a bank account associated with KickassTorrents, as well as several of the site’s domain names.

Commenting on the announcement, Assistant Attorney General Caldwell said that KickassTorrents helped to distribute over $1 billion in pirated files.

“Vaulin is charged with running today’s most visited illegal file-sharing website, responsible for unlawfully distributing well over $1 billion of copyrighted materials.”

“In an effort to evade law enforcement, Vaulin allegedly relied on servers located in countries around the world and moved his domains due to repeated seizures and civil lawsuits. His arrest in Poland, however, demonstrates again that cybercriminals can run, but they cannot hide from justice.”

KAT’s .com and .tv domains are expected to be seized soon by Verisign. For the main Kat.cr domain and several others, seizure warrants will be sent to the respective authorities under the MLAT treaty.

At the time of writing the main domain name Kat.cr has trouble loading, but various proxies still appear to work. KAT’s status page doesn’t list any issues, but we assume that this will be updated shortly.

TorrentFreak has reached out to the KAT team for a comment on the news and what it means for the site’s future, but we have yet to hear back.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Well that loving sucks. I guess if you're running a torrent site, don't travel to a country with US extradition.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So Donald Trump said today that the US may not defend the Baltics in the case of a Russian attack if he doesn't feel like they've done their part for the alliance. I can't imagine Eastern Europe is going to take that too well.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Well that loving sucks. I guess if you're running a torrent site, don't travel to a country with US extradition.

A bit surprised he wasn't extradited from Ukraine in the first place.

.... Which reminds me, any Germans here hear anything about Firtash (Ukrainian oligarch who managed to avoid extradiction from Austria to US in part by convincing a judge of hilarious
conspiracy theories about Ukrainian politices) trying to bribe some people in German law enforcement a bit back?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Sinteres posted:

So Donald Trump said today that the US may not defend the Baltics in the case of a Russian attack if he doesn't feel like they've done their part for the alliance. I can't imagine Eastern Europe is going to take that too well.

I can think of one country that doesn't. They have not even brought back conscription. If you're not prepared to defend yourself, it's not likely that others will.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, conscription is going to help a lot against a superpower sporting high tech weaponry and nukular arsenal

... wait, what?

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes

jonnypeh posted:

I can think of one country that doesn't. They have not even brought back conscription. If you're not prepared to defend yourself, it's not likely that others will.

Lithuania has, in fact, brought back conscription

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Dragas posted:

Lithuania has, in fact, brought back conscription

Latvia has not.

quote:

yeah, conscription is going to help a lot against a superpower sporting high tech weaponry and nukular arsenal

30,000 soldiers is already better than a token professional force of 1,500 (even if supported by the home guard units). Give them quality MANPADS and ATGMs and the opponent will have something to think about.

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
Estonia also has conscription so what you really mean is that Latvia is bad, which I can support

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

lynch_69 posted:

Putin actively courts the hard right in Russia Europe.
ftfy.
the Right in Russia mostly just get a lazy boot up the rear end from time to time, because there is No ethnic problem in Motherland.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Der Spiegel did an interview with a Russian foreign policy advisor. The tldr is that Russia is strong and Europe is betraying their own values (via Muslim immigrants).

There's a lot that just seems nonsensical such as

Karaganov posted:

Many of my colleagues view our European partners with derision and I always warn them not to be cocky and arrogant. Some among the European elite have sought out confrontation with us. As a consequence, we won't help Europe, although we could do so when it comes to the refugee question. A joint closure of borders would be essential. In this regard, the Russians would be 10 times more effective than the Europeans. Instead, you have tried to make a deal with Turkey. That is a disgrace. In the face of our problems with Turkey, we have pursued a clear, hard political line -- with success.
How, exactly, is Russia going to stop Syrians from fleeing through Turkey and to Greece and North Africans from crossing the Med? I guess refugees crossing over the Caucasus through Russia to Europe would be stopped but somehow I doubt there's that many of them.

Beyond that the interview gives off an exuberant kind of "we are winning" vibe. I'm really struggling to see what Russia has really achieved though. In 10 years two important partners of Russia has been practically destroyed. Ukraine is irrevocably lost from Russia's Eurasian project and Ukraine's economy is completely in the shitter. I mean Ukraine mostly trades with Russia - it's not helping Russia to destroy it. Syria is a basket case and Russia undoubtedly help fund its survival and will continue to have to do so for the foreseeable future. Economic growth and the well-being of the Russian people seems to be entirely incidental to the main objective - to enforce their will and be a Great Power! What they aim to achieve with it, what the vision is... I just don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Anos posted:

Der Spiegel did an interview with a Russian foreign policy advisor. The tldr is that Russia is strong and Europe is betraying their own values (via Muslim immigrants).

There's a lot that just seems nonsensical such as

How, exactly, is Russia going to stop Syrians from fleeing through Turkey and to Greece and North Africans from crossing the Med? I guess refugees crossing over the Caucasus through Russia to Europe would be stopped but somehow I doubt there's that many of them.

Beyond that the interview gives off an exuberant kind of "we are winning" vibe. I'm really struggling to see what Russia has really achieved though. In 10 years two important partners of Russia has been practically destroyed. Ukraine is irrevocably lost from Russia's Eurasian project and Ukraine's economy is completely in the shitter. I mean Ukraine mostly trades with Russia - it's not helping Russia to destroy it. Syria is a basket case and Russia undoubtedly help fund its survival and will continue to have to do so for the foreseeable future. Economic growth and the well-being of the Russian people seems to be entirely incidental to the main objective - to enforce their will and be a Great Power! What they aim to achieve with it, what the vision is... I just don't know.

Russia may not be winning exactly but the destabilization of Europe is a good thing for them. Brexit may well be the beginning of the end of the EU, the failed possibly staged coup in Turkey may end up driving Turkey out of NATO and has certainly ended any aspirations of EU membership for them. The migrant crisis and stagnant economy are driving euroskeptic nationalism up and down the continent. There's also the matter of a seemingly endless deluge of terrorist attacks. These are all positives for Russia because they undermine liberalism and unity on the continent so despite their own problems I can see why they'd be optimistic.