Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Bongo Bill posted:

Is the current print version of Strike! stable?

Yes. There are a small handful of tiny irrelevant mistakes that I'll be correcting in the PDF version at some point, and maybe in the print as well, but they do not affect anything (e.g. using the phrase Miss Effect instead of Miss Trigger, I use the wrong paragraph style at one point, I use "he" instead of "they" at one point). As for any other issues, I'm going to handle that with an FAQ rather than inserting explanatory text into the book because I don't want to deal with the inevitable formatting and layout headaches adding text would bring.

So yes, it's stable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
http://hyphz.github.io/ should now have Feats, Tricks, and Complications.

I think we're almost done except for Reputations and Kits, but I'm not really happy with the display layout. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lay out a sheet?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't know if it's a bug or a mistake on my part, but the Trick in the Custom background doesn't appear on the sheet.

e: also, I think there is supposed to be one more skill. There's the "get stuff" skill, the "times are tough" skil, the primary one, the supporting one, the social one and the "unmentioned up until now" one. That's six, but there's only five in there.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 18, 2016

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know if it's a bug or a mistake on my part, but the Trick in the Custom background doesn't appear on the sheet.

e: also, I think there is supposed to be one more skill. There's the "get stuff" skill, the "times are tough" skil, the primary one, the supporting one, the social one and the "unmentioned up until now" one. That's six, but there's only five in there.

It was a bug. And now it is (hopefully) gone. :)

Edit: The form interface for kits is now in, but not the sheet output. I'm not quite sure about how much detail to go into with them - there are kits that offer choices (like Master/Expert etc.) but at the same time I want them to be easily user extensible because they're fairly freeform..

hyphz fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 19, 2016

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
I just bought the .pdf and I have to say I really like what I'm reading so far. My only annoyance is how the rulebook never seems to mention what type of dice you actually roll. It's heavily implied it's a d6, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. Is it actually spelled out in black and white that you roll a d6? Feels like that should be right there at the beginning of the book when it starts talking about skill resolution.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Agent Boogeyman posted:

I just bought the .pdf and I have to say I really like what I'm reading so far. My only annoyance is how the rulebook never seems to mention what type of dice you actually roll. It's heavily implied it's a d6, but I'm not 100% sure that's correct. Is it actually spelled out in black and white that you roll a d6? Feels like that should be right there at the beginning of the book when it starts talking about skill resolution.

Yep. A plain old six-sided die. The table of results goes from 1 to 6.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Page 5 talks about "rolling a die" consulting the table, which covers numbers 1-6.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
Thanks. That's what I meant by implied though. Just a personal OCD thing I guess that even though it's implied, I can never be 100% sure of something unless it is spelled out specifically for me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Funnier still, in the later "optional rules", it talks about using 2d6.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So over the weekend I GM'd my first game of Strike for 3 friends of mine. These guys have never played any D&D or tabletop RPG before, but we've all been wanting to try. It was a lot of fun. I created a homebrew sci-fi/cyberpunk setting so I had about 10-12 custom Origins I made that were setting-specific and I kinda just walked them through character creation with each of them answering the Background questions to come up with their own. The thing they had the most trouble with was Tricks and I did my best to give examples and sort of explain it but they hardly got used during the game. We also skipped over using Kits for now just for simplicity while still learning. The basic rules were easy enough to explain, and I just explained rules as they came up in the game rather than dumping the whole rulebook on them at the start. Overall it was a really good time and we are going to make it a bimonthly thing.

A few questions from a first time GM:
Player Hitpoints: Do they ever increase? We started at level 1 and by the end I leveled them all to level 2, but I'm worried as I start increasing the encounter difficulty the badguys are going to start hitting like trucks.

Miss Tokens - I forgot many times to keep track of these. Any suggestions?

Miss Triggers - For monsters, should these be happening on EVERY miss? Or is it just a thematic/time appropriate thing?

Items: My players are all pretty big nerds and we've all played our share of video games, so maybe it's the Skyrim/Fallout mindset that needs to be changed, but they were constantly scouring rooms and buildings for supplies and weapons and things but I didn't want to overload them so early with stuff. Plus, I'm not sure if I should be giving them weapons that affect combat stats? Any advice would be appreciated.

We didn't end up getting to any Chase or Team conflicts but I've got some ideas to use them next session. Game is really fun and I'm super excited to run a full campaign.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Rurea posted:

A few questions from a first time GM:
Player Hitpoints: Do they ever increase? We started at level 1 and by the end I leveled them all to level 2, but I'm worried as I start increasing the encounter difficulty the badguys are going to start hitting like trucks.

Miss Triggers - For monsters, should these be happening on EVERY miss? Or is it just a thematic/time appropriate thing?

Items: My players are all pretty big nerds and we've all played our share of video games, so maybe it's the Skyrim/Fallout mindset that needs to be changed, but they were constantly scouring rooms and buildings for supplies and weapons and things but I didn't want to overload them so early with stuff. Plus, I'm not sure if I should be giving them weapons that affect combat stats? Any advice would be appreciated.

HP stays at 10 unless you take a feat to increase it. PCs will also start hitting harder and have stronger abilities so don't worry about it so much.

Have your players track their miss tokens, either on paper or with literal tokens.

Miss Triggers go off every time that monster is missed by an attack (just make sure the trigger is right, as in the Brawler's only goes off on a Melee attack). When making aoe attacks, only the first attack roll triggers Strikes and Misses (see the notes on the Blaster on pg 131).

For items, I'd look at the back (pg 191) for guidelines on generating cooler/useful treasures (i.e. magic items), and if they're desperate for vendor trash then you can describe the mundane stuff they find and let them trade it for Cash Parcels later.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Rurea posted:

You get more ways of pinning enemies down and stopping damage. You have to be more tactical about doing this as you level.

Rurea posted:

Give your players literal tokens.

Rurea posted:

Elites or Champions should be getting miss effects or role actions to make them more threatening. Normal enemies, just use them thematically mostly.

Rurea posted:

Items should be A) limited use, B) once per battle/session, or C) very, very limited in scope. Some combat items I've used: a demon in a bottle that you can use once per battle as an Assess action, and which always gives seven questions, but one answer is a lie. A once per battle life-link wand that makes you and one monster either Vulnerable 1 or Resist 1 against each others attacks. Bracelet that makes you always succeed on saves against Disarm and Weaken. Out-of-combat items are easier: they can make you skilled in something you aren't skilled at, give you an extra trick, or give you advantage in a limited situation.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Miss Triggers are designed to be used every time you miss, I don't believe there's anything in the rules stating otherwise; The game is designed to support failure in fights, not just successes. That said, if you find you have the Hot Dice one night and your players just keep missing maybe don't have standards use them as often. Fun at the table supersedes any rule at the end of the day.

Regarding HP, the game can definitely get sorta rocket tag-y depending on party composition and feat choice later on, but that won't happen until level 7 or so at the earliest in my experience barring Team Heroes failing to play tactically while Team Monster does (ie. staying adjacent to a rampaging boar who deals auto-damage to anyone who could perform Opportunities against him when he charges away). Especially if you have a pretty balanced composition, like a Defender, a Leader, and a Controller, that's a significant amount of damage mitigation at level 4, which is when you might start noticing damage creeping up a bit:

1) Defender would have innate Resist 1 and heal herself every time she hit something, would be able to Mark two targets every turn, and could force an enemy to have Disadvantage to hit allies, grant an ally semi-permanent Cover, or just plain shut off an enemy's big attack once per combat.
2) Leader could Heal 5 or more HP twice per combat in addition to other benefits each time they heal, move allies out of harms way preemptively, or heal/revive people in an AoE.
3) Controller would have on-demand Weakened (save ends) and a menagerie of ways to shut down a single enemy.

It's worth reminding your players of all the defensive options they have access to as well, particularly Rallying (which can be done while below 0 HP to heal to 4 immediately) and the fact that any healing gained when you're below 0 immediately brings you back into the fight. This makes characters who can dole out actual Heals very powerful - You obviously don't want to dip below 0 anyway because getting Strikes suck, but it's important to remember.

Related to the above, be careful giving out items which straight-up Heal for that reason. Instead consider things which provide Buffer Points, which don't revive people but still act as pseudo-healing.

e:

fool_of_sound posted:

Give your players literal tokens.

Yeah also do this. Seeing a pile of tokens on the table will make it really easy to remember to hand them out.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 20, 2016

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Miss Triggers are designed to be used every time you miss, I don't believe there's anything in the rules stating otherwise; The game is designed to support failure in fights, not just successes. That said, if you find you have the Hot Dice one night and your players just keep missing maybe don't have standards use them as often. Fun at the table supersedes any rule at the end of the day.

Regarding HP, the game can definitely get sorta rocket tag-y depending on party composition and feat choice later on, but that won't happen until level 7 or so at the earliest in my experience barring either Team Heroes failing to play tactically while Team Monster does (ie. staying adjacent to a rampaging boar who deals auto-damage to anyone who could perform Opportunities against him when he charges away). Especially if you have a pretty balanced composition, like a Defender, a Leader, and a Controller, that's a significant amount of damage mitigation at level 4, which is when you might start noticing damage creeping up a bit:

1) Defender would have innate Resist 1 and heal herself every time she hit something, would be able to Mark two targets every turn, and could force an enemy to have Disadvantage to hit allies, grant an ally semi-permanent Cover, or just plain shut off an enemy's big attack once per combat.
2) Leader could Heal 5 or more HP twice per combat in addition to other benefits each time they heal, move allies out of harms way preemptively, or heal/revive people in an AoE.
3) Controller would have on-demand Weakened (save ends) and a menagerie of ways to shut down a single enemy.

It's worth reminding your players of all the defensive options they have access to as well, particularly Rallying (which can be done while below 0 HP to heal to 4 immediately) and the fact that any healing gained when you're below 0 immediately brings you back into the fight. This makes characters who can dole out actual Heals very powerful - You obviously don't want to dip below 0 anyway because getting Strikes suck, but it's important to remember.

Related to the above, be careful giving out items which straight-up Heal for that reason. Instead consider things which provide Buffer Points, which don't revive people but still act as pseudo-healing.

I think the problem is nobody picked the Leader role so there was basically no healing happening in fights. I'll bring it up to them if it becomes an issue. Thanks for the help/advice everyone!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rurea posted:

I think the problem is nobody picked the Leader role so there was basically no healing happening in fights. I'll bring it up to them if it becomes an issue. Thanks for the help/advice everyone!

For what it's worth, I played in a high level game last summer with 6 players and we didn't have a single Leader among us, and we never wiped from level 5-9 (didn't play past that). We had two Defenders and a Controller for our mitigation (and I think 2 strikers and a blaster for the other 3 players), we just chose defensively-oriented powers in some instances and used smart tactics. I mean it helps that we only had one new ttrpg player and two people who were intimately familiar with Strike playing compared to your entirely new group, but it's definitely doable, the system is quite flexible.

Remember that part of your duty as a GM is making encounters that work to the party's strengths as well as their weaknesses. If your group has two Blasters you drat well better make liberal use of Stooge/Goon-type enemies since otherwise those players are probably going to be feeling pretty crummy about their choices. Similarly, no healing means you probably don't want to use a lot of burst damage monsters - Consider using monsters with more controllable damage like Defender-types where taking additional damage is more in the hands of the players (by choosing to ignore Marks, for instance).

This doesn't mean to NEVER use a Striker-type enemy or a bunch of Goons who have "Damage: 2, Effect: 2 damage" powers, particularly if you want to make a fight that pushes against their weaknesses, but be conscious of what monster types play like while making encounters. You said yourself you're new so this will be a learning experience for you as well and there's going to be hiccups, but hopefully you'll get an idea how things will go as your squad levels up.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Also, RE: Miss Triggers, the arena/environment should generally have a miss trigger or two of its own. When a monster can't use its own (ex. melee trigger but hit by ranged) or if things are getting repetitive, consider pulling out the environmental trigger(s) instead. Things like bursts of fire/weather or damaging terrain in undesirable ways.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Maybe someone (someone who's smarter than me, preferably) can write a quick sort of overview of which types of enemies the various classes and roles are stronger/weaker against, as a reference for combat encounter design?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I just ordered the hardcover + PDF based on how impressed I was by the ruleset I saw in the OP. Gonna try to run this with a few friends next time I have the chance.

That said, I'm interested in the support for DM vs. players adversarial play. I love the idea of asymmetric semi-competitive gameplay like that, and it plays to my strengths as I'm a passable storyteller at best but pretty good at tactics and encounter design. Can you talk a bit about how the game enables that stuff?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just ordered the hardcover + PDF based on how impressed I was by the ruleset I saw in the OP. Gonna try to run this with a few friends next time I have the chance.

That said, I'm interested in the support for DM vs. players adversarial play. I love the idea of asymmetric semi-competitive gameplay like that, and it plays to my strengths as I'm a passable storyteller at best but pretty good at tactics and encounter design. Can you talk a bit about how the game enables that stuff?

There's an entire section (Adversarial Play: Dangerous Delves starting from page 191) dedicated to setting up such a campaign, but essentially as long as you follow encounter guidelines you should be coming up with fights that are tough but winnable for team PC.

e: I've been using those rules because my style in general is "let them do whatever & go wherever that seems fun to them, and play combats seriously so they feel meaningful"

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 20, 2016

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
So after reading the intro rules I was hooked and bought this game. I've convinced a few of our regular D&D group to give it a go this weekend instead of playing D&D.

I've skimmed a good chunk of the thread, but I'm not through it all. I'm going to be running the sci-fi adventure in the downloads section. It's kind of sparse, but I'm hoping this will help improve all of our improv in general. Unfortunately, one player had to drop out so I only have 3 players at the moment, but I'm sure it will work out just fine.

Anyone have any last minute tips or things I should watch for before this afternoon?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Remember miss triggers and miss tokens.
Don't let players roll unless you already have some general idea(s) of what happens if they pass and what happens if they fail.
If an idea/suggestion sounds fun, don't be afraid to run with it.
Remind players now and then about using complications to get APs, unless they're grabbing tons of them.
Remind players that AP's don't grant free attacks like 4e, they're used to auto-pass skill rolls and activate Action Triggers.

You'll probably make a few mistakes, try not to worry too much about it. Fix things that are being a problem and move on.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

siggy2021 posted:

Anyone have any last minute tips or things I should watch for before this afternoon?

If you have chips or beads or tokens around to track strikes and miss tokens, use them.

Bookmark (if real book) or write down the page numbers of the PDF that explain how many strikes you get in combat for injury, when you're Taken Out, and the pages that define the various statuses, since they aren't all the same as D&D.

Print out all three sheets of summary info in the downloads section of the Strike! website. Consider giving the combat and player ones to each player.

Remember that miss tokens are spent on a future attack roll, and can change a 1 to a 3, or increase the roll by 1.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I pretty much always forget Miss Triggers. I don't know why I'm chronically incapable of remembering them. What I really need is a big fat reminder that pops up on Roll20 screaming "REMEMBER: MISS TRIGGERS" every time someone rolls a miss in combat.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Scyther posted:

I pretty much always forget Miss Triggers. I don't know why I'm chronically incapable of remembering them. What I really need is a big fat reminder that pops up on Roll20 screaming "REMEMBER: MISS TRIGGERS" every time someone rolls a miss in combat.

In Roll20, you could make players' attack roll macro mention both miss tokens and miss triggers.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

homullus posted:

If you have chips or beads or tokens around to track strikes and miss tokens, use them.

Bookmark (if real book) or write down the page numbers of the PDF that explain how many strikes you get in combat for injury, when you're Taken Out, and the pages that define the various statuses, since they aren't all the same as D&D.

Print out all three sheets of summary info in the downloads section of the Strike! website. Consider giving the combat and player ones to each player.

Remember that miss tokens are spent on a future attack roll, and can change a 1 to a 3, or increase the roll by 1.

I don't have the real book yet, it just shipped today, but I do have the PDF on my tablet. I printed out all the summary sheets (on cardstock even!), they looked really useful. I thought about picking up some of those little colored stones because they definitely sounded useful for strikes and maybe even tracking APs, but I stopped by Hobby Lobby yesterday and didn't see any.

Thanks everyone for mentioning the miss tokens. I somehow glanced right past that the first few times I read over tactical combat. Quick question - do enemies play by all the same rules as players? Do they get miss tokens as well?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

siggy2021 posted:

I don't have the real book yet, it just shipped today, but I do have the PDF on my tablet. I printed out all the summary sheets (on cardstock even!), they looked really useful. I thought about picking up some of those little colored stones because they definitely sounded useful for strikes and maybe even tracking APs, but I stopped by Hobby Lobby yesterday and didn't see any.

Thanks everyone for mentioning the miss tokens. I somehow glanced right past that the first few times I read over tactical combat. Quick question - do enemies play by all the same rules as players? Do they get miss tokens as well?

Agents of Team Monster don't get miss tokens (they get miss triggers) and don't take Strikes. They usually get Taken Out at 0 rather than -5. They may have powers that come back on a recharge roll or when certain conditions are met. They do not Rally. More advanced ones (i.e. Champions) get several turns every round. Team Monster always goes before the PCs at the same initiative count.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ElegantFugue posted:

Don't let players roll unless you already have some general idea(s) of what happens if they pass and what happens if they fail.

Remind players that AP's don't grant free attacks like 4e, they're used to auto-pass skill rolls and activate Action Triggers.

I think it's OK to let people just roll a lot as long as it makes sense since it's pretty easy to crowd source ideas post-roll. Just ask the table "ok Cathy failed her 'eat chocolate' roll, what happens?" and maybe one of your players will remind you that Cathy NEVER fucks around when it comes to chocolate so she eats it flawlessly, but it was someone else's, and they just walked in the room!

Also AP are additionally used for Rallying.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Still thinking through the Shadowrun conversion and had some more solicitations for advice.

How did people handle utility spells? The Strike manual, wisely, allows a lot of room for customization here. In Shadowrun proper a spellcaster starts with a few spells and then gains extra spells through a combination of investing time and investing money, much like getting additional equipment. Which makes sense, since spellcasters use their spells for a lot of stuff that other characters would use gear for. So is that how you handled things?

Combat spells can mostly be handled through the combat rules. When someone picks area attacks, you just ask them to pick whether they're chucking grenades or using -ball spells. But getting into the actual Shadowrun spell list, did you model the distinction between, say, Manaball, Powerball, and Stunball? My inclination was to ignore this – just handling it through the definition of the win condition established before a fight, and ignoring the differing application of the spells to spirits, robots, etc. – but I'm curious if someone used a solution that carried over this element of the fiction.

More generally, just trying to think through the places where one just runs the most basic Strike system and where it might make sense to inject some of the implicit worldbuilding for Shadowrun that you get through the mechanics. Did you build any custom backgrounds, kits, etc.?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Ran my first session of Strike on the weekend. We're doing a cyberpunk game (think Bubblegum Crisis/Ghost in the Shell/a bit of Psycho-Pass) and reskinning everything is pretty great. We got a Necromancer Technomancer who hacks people's wearables and I made a Leader enemy "revive" a cyborg defender minion by putting him on autopilot. :black101:

One thing that is screwing with me is that I'm coming to Strike from Fate, so I'm used to assigning aspects to things. A fair trade for a crunchier combat system though, IMO. Strike is working great so far!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Ettin posted:

Ran my first session of Strike on the weekend. We're doing a cyberpunk game (think Bubblegum Crisis/Ghost in the Shell/a bit of Psycho-Pass) and reskinning everything is pretty great. We got a Necromancer Technomancer who hacks people's wearables and I made a Leader enemy "revive" a cyborg defender minion by putting him on autopilot. :black101:

One thing that is screwing with me is that I'm coming to Strike from Fate, so I'm used to assigning aspects to things. A fair trade for a crunchier combat system though, IMO. Strike is working great so far!

That's great! Glad to hear it's going well.

:siren:Hey, everyone! We've got a whole ton of material for the upcoming expansion that needs playtesting. Please tear these apart for us: 11 Classes, 1 Role, plus an extra. Apologies in advance for the lack of proper power blocks and pretty formatting - it's the price you have to pay for getting to play with these so early.

There are definitely things there that need fixing and haven't been caught yet, but our internal playtests can't possibly cover everything, so that's where you guys come in. Please, if you download this, come back and give a bit of feedback - it's the least you could do. All comments are welcome, but what we really need is for you to get a few friends together and see how they actually play!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dancer! I remember getting really excited with that concept when I was talking about it with Countblanc. That being said drat, Bring the House Down has a massive range. Is it really balanced for a level 3 ability?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

That's great! Glad to hear it's going well.

:siren:Hey, everyone! We've got a whole ton of material for the upcoming expansion that needs playtesting. Please tear these apart for us: 11 Classes, 1 Role, plus an extra. Apologies in advance for the lack of proper power blocks and pretty formatting - it's the price you have to pay for getting to play with these so early.

There are definitely things there that need fixing and haven't been caught yet, but our internal playtests can't possibly cover everything, so that's where you guys come in. Please, if you download this, come back and give a bit of feedback - it's the least you could do. All comments are welcome, but what we really need is for you to get a few friends together and see how they actually play!

The Dancer and the Ogre are pretty exciting. I mean, they're all exciting, but those are the ones I find the most entertaining to think about. :)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I've been playing a Dancer in our internal playtests, and it's a lot of fun! It's harder work than playing most other classes because you have to constantly be figuring out how to get where you're going with the Step Charts, but that's what makes it interesting.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Dancer! I remember getting really excited with that concept when I was talking about it with Countblanc. That being said drat, Bring the House Down has a massive range. Is it really balanced for a level 3 ability?

Test it out and see. It was recently changed, so we'll see how it works in practice.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 24, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

You may be misinterpreting it; It requires you to to move exactly 5 spaces, the Xs on step charts are where the dancer ends up at after performing it, not which enemies it hits. This is almost assuredly because I didn't properly explain it but some of these have been stewing in dev mode jargon for months now. But hey that just means the packet is doing what it's supposed to do!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of things that got lost in translation, I just reread the Team Techs section and apparently I deleted the sentence about it needing Action Points. You could probably infer this from reading the first paragraph, but just to be 100% clear;

when using a Team Tech, both players lose an Action Point at the time the power activates.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
The new playtest stuff looks interesting. The shieldbearer seems like it might be overly Defender focused at first glance, but it would be fun to try it combo'd with Striker or Leader maybe.

On another note, I was poking around at the Buddy and was thinking that it might be better match than shapechanger for certain character concepts, where the two combine into one unit. A Pegasus Knight, for example, or combining mecha. But there's not really support for this that I see. Any suggestions?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
iirc, the Shieldbearer's design goal was to basically be what Warlord was to Leader, but for Defender: A way for you to mimic a role while also getting another role. You could definitely play a Shieldbearer/Defender and just be Alpha Tank just like you could be a Warlord/Leader who spends the entire fight healing/buffing, but like you said you can also be a Shieldbearer/Blaster and mitigate a bunch of damage in a wide area or a Shieldbearer/Striker and play more safely than you could as a Rogue/Striker. In our playtest one of the testers found some really funny/dumb stuff with /Blaster in particular.

As for your question, that same idea was posed to me recently by someone else so the demand is definitely there and I'm gonna have to have a think about it. A proposed solution was a class feature for the Engineer that basically had you act as the Turret, turning the turret into a pseudo Stand thing. Maybe a way to absorb your Summons or your Buddy for those two classes like a warlock in WoW can do. Hm.

If you want a quick fix, maybe something like "When you Rally, you may remove your Buddy from the battle instead of restoring an Encounter power. If you do this you gain one of your Buddy's Passive effects. Your Buddy is considered to occupy the same space as you for any effects which reference them. Any time you use an attack which originates from your Buddy now originate from you." That's almost certainly imbalanced one way or another but hey, playtesting!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The new playtest stuff looks interesting. The shieldbearer seems like it might be overly Defender focused at first glance, but it would be fun to try it combo'd with Striker or Leader maybe.

My only "concern" with the Shieldbearer is that it would pretty much only be Defenders who chose Avenging Shieldbearer. That's not automatically a problem, but most other things mix & match pretty well.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

How do Team Techs work with players that don't have a role, such as Evoker and Bard?

Also, Evoker's Darkness and Light say mystic element, instead of refined. :shobon:

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Oh yeah, those should be Refined.

I think you just treat the Bard as a Leader and Evoker as Controller but that needs to actually be written somewhere.