Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

AMD and friends almost certainly have too many Hawaii chips sitting around. 390 was a straight up rebrand.

That said, it tended to use a little less power at the clocks they gave it, due to lower voltages. It also had more RAM, which is significant, because they also increased RAM speed/bandwidth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Haquer posted:

So what browser are you using?

E: Default zoom in chrome

Firefox 44.0.2

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

How can AMD's marketing department be so clueless? GTX 1060 release day is the perfect time for "leaks" of RX 470 performance in DX12/Vulkan games (or TimeSpy) to come out. Just leak some info and get someone talking about price to performance and how nothing else is even close to RX 470 at $149. At the very least it forces Nvidia to confirm/deny the existence of the 3GB GTX 1060 (or 1050Ti or whatever they end up calling it), which could potentially reduce sales of 1060.

The RX 480 is sold out pretty much everywhere. With RX 470 being limited to 4GB cards only, it isn't like RX 470 information will tank the sales of the higher end product.

The only thing I can think of is that someone (AMD, board partners, retailers) has waaaaay too many old Rx3xx/Fury chips/cards on hand and is afraid that info about the new stuff will crush the value of the Rx3xx/Fury stuff.

Nvidia clearly knows how to undermine the competitor's time in the limelight. They started dropping crumbs about GTX 1060 on RX 480 launch day. How hard is it to at least follow along with your competitors marketing actions?

is the 480 sold out because it's selling well or because AMD hasn't made enough? or does anyone even know

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

wicka posted:

is the 480 sold out because it's selling well or because AMD hasn't made enough? or does anyone even know

Probably a bit of column A and column B. The 1060/70/80 also being sold out indicates there's a lot of pent up demand as people seem to have been sitting on their current cards waiting for this next generation.

I suppose we'll know more info when we start getting Steam Hardware Survey results post-launch.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Any chance you all think the stock of 1070s will stabilize in the next 2months and drive prices back towards the MSRP?
I am very excited to upgrade my 670 (built a new computer early this year and waited for the new cards).

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ChiTownEddie posted:

Any chance you all think the stock of 1070s will stabilize in the next 2months and drive prices back towards the MSRP?
I am very excited to upgrade my 670 (built a new computer early this year and waited for the new cards).
I see 1070s in stores at msrp around here regularly.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

mango sentinel posted:

I see 1070s in stores at msrp around here regularly.

Wow really? I don't think I've seen much stuff around 400 much less under. Where do you live and at which stores?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ak Gara posted:

Firefox 44.0.2

Have you tried upgrading it to a supported version?

E: Just tried in Firefox 47 (seriously, why are you using a 5 month old version)

Haquer fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 20, 2016

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

PBCrunch posted:

How can AMD's marketing department be so clueless? GTX 1060 release day is the perfect time for "leaks" of RX 470 performance in DX12/Vulkan games (or TimeSpy) to come out. Just leak some info and get someone talking about price to performance and how nothing else is even close to RX 470 at $149. At the very least it forces Nvidia to confirm/deny the existence of the 3GB GTX 1060 (or 1050Ti or whatever they end up calling it), which could potentially reduce sales of 1060.

AMD gutted their marketing and driver teams awhile ago. There's also been some talent drift, I had 2 friends who worked there for 5+ years that are now at Nvidia for various reasons.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Gunslinger posted:

I had 2 friends who worked there for 5+ years that are now at Nvidia for various reasons.

Hmm, AMD's drivers have been consistently better than in the last months while nvidia's have tanked

Goon's friends have moved from AMD to nvidia

Coincidence? :v:

actually this is because I bought an nvidia, now it's nvidia's turn to turn to poo poo

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I haven't seen much talk about where the RX460 is going to fall on the product stack, in the ~$100 or less space is the GTX 950 still a solid buy, or is the 460 going to be a big step up? A friend of mine with thousands of hours of Dota 2 played has never used a dedicated GPU in his life and is refreshing his PC.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Truga posted:

actually this is because I bought an nvidia, now it's nvidia's turn to turn to poo poo

Thanks a lot I had my first display driver crash in months a couple days ago. Something about lav video decoder using nvidia cuid. Oh well. Hasn't happened since.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Gunder posted:

I have a 970 that I'm looking to potentially sell to a friend. However, if he'd be better served by waiting for a 470, then I don't wish to sell him my 970, even at a reduced price (I'd want around £170 for it). He plays games, and has an Ivybridge i5 system, running at 1080p. I want to make sure that he gets the best value for money that he can. Do you guys think that £170 is a fair price for a 2nd hand MSI 970? Or would he be better off going for the presumably less expensive 470?

Given the pricing on 8 gig RX480s in the UK, 170 for a gtx970 is a screaming good deal.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Twerk from Home posted:

I haven't seen much talk about where the RX460 is going to fall on the product stack, in the ~$100 or less space is the GTX 950 still a solid buy, or is the 460 going to be a big step up? A friend of mine with thousands of hours of Dota 2 played has never used a dedicated GPU in his life and is refreshing his PC.

The GTX 950 goes for ~150 USD, not <100 USD. In that space, the RX 470 would be massively better. If it were available.

FWIW at 1080p60 you can run Dota2 fine on a GTX 750 non-Ti. I bought one second hand for 50 EUR 2 years ago or so, just to play Dota2 on my Dell workstation

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 20, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Skuto posted:

The GTX 950 goes for ~150 USD, not <100 USD. In that space, the RX 470 would be massively better. If it were available.

FWIW at 1080p60 you can run Dota2 fine on a GTX 750 non-Ti. I bought one for 50 EUR 2 years ago or so.

It's $99 for an eVGA 950 today on Newegg, hence he's coming to me to ask whether to buy this or wait for 460.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's $99 for an eVGA 950 today on Newegg, hence he's coming to me to ask whether to buy this or wait for 460.

The RX 460 is less than half a RX 480, and the RX 480 is (at 1080p) not twice as fast as a GTX 950. So it sounds like it would be an OK deal.

I don't think the RX 460 has a real release date yet.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Vintersorg posted:

Wow, those 1060's that have no connector needed look sweet. I have a 750ti of the same type and I like the minimalism. Considering cancelling my step-up to a 1080 for one of those. :canada:

When you say "no connector needed", do you mean it doesn't need a PCIe power 6-pin? Which cards are these? All the ones I've seen, including the small form factor ones (EVGA, ZOTAC) still have it.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Taima posted:

It's an ASUS blower card, it's the definition of "ok". But:

You can get it for $385 using this promo code:

http://slickdeals.net/f/8943303-asus-gtx-1070-turbo-385-s-h-newegg?page=2

Oh, nice! Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'm finally getting a GPU upgrade! :cool:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Congrats! You'll be very happy with it. I wouldn't worry about the blower too much.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

GokieKS posted:

When you say "no connector needed", do you mean it doesn't need a PCIe power 6-pin? Which cards are these? All the ones I've seen, including the small form factor ones (EVGA, ZOTAC) still have it.

He must mean the SLI connector.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I have to use DDU to update nvidia drivers because the Maxwell series has a rare but consistent hilarious multi-display bug that makes the drivers poo poo themselves when updating while using multi-monitor :downsgun:

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

KingEup posted:

He must mean the SLI connector.

Oh... well that seems a weird thing to pick a 1060 over a 1080 over.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
8gb 480 available from Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-cus...7lHoHGDto3SNfIQ

I'm still waffling on which card to get but this will probably be sold out before I'm done deciding anyway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

I'm still waffling on which card to get but this will probably be sold out before I'm done deciding anyway.

At $250 just buy a GTX 1060 over a reference 480. The open air 480s could be something interesting based on pricing, but non-blower cards are pretty preferable unless you really need a blower.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I was getting ready to dig into the AIB 1060 comparatives (so far it's looking like I'm going Palit again), but then I had a thought...

What is everybody's best guess about the % of AAA games that will support Vulkan in 2017-2018? Seems to me that if the answer is "a lot", I might end up regretting not going team red this time.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Klyith posted:

Oh man I don't know what to do in that case. Does that case really absolutely need a blower video card? It seems to have lots of bottom to top ventilation flow. Is is because there's something in the way under the card?
The power supply eats the entire bottom of the case with about the same spacing as a you would get for a tight dual card setup :pseudo:
I also have my fans reversed from stock for cpu cooling purposes so blowers really are a must.

Thanks for all the pointers, Nice to know that the non-founder nvidia blowers aren't also garbarge. I'll still probably wait to see what the ati partner boards have.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mango sentinel posted:

That might be the first GPU I've ever seen at Best Buy that they didn't price gouge to hell.

Still, if you can get a hold of the 4GB version when they are in stock a NewEgg, they're $50 less for what is an identical card once you flash it to 8GB.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

That might be the first GPU I've ever seen at Best Buy that they didn't price gouge to hell.

Still, if you can get a hold of the 4GB version when they are in stock a NewEgg, they're $50 less for what is an identical card once you flash it to 8GB.

If you can flash it. Just because the first run could be flashed to 8gb, doesn't mean the next batch will.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The next batch almost certainly won't flash to 8gb.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

NihilCredo posted:

I was getting ready to dig into the AIB 1060 comparatives (so far it's looking like I'm going Palit again), but then I had a thought...

What is everybody's best guess about the % of AAA games that will support Vulkan in 2017-2018? Seems to me that if the answer is "a lot", I might end up regretting not going team red this time.

Does Vulkan not work on Nvidia?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

480 squeezed out like 15-20% more frames with Vulkan than 1060 iirc. Stuff like that, and potential for upgrading with Crossfire down the road, $50 cheaper and maybe buying a freesync monitor are what's got me waffling still.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Vulkan works fine on Nvidia cards but it benefits AMD a bit more. I do think people are over estimating the difference Vulkan will make for AMD, Nvidia is still in the process of optimizing drivers to take advantage of Vulkan/DX12 type features.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Vulkan works fine on Nvidia cards but it benefits AMD a bit more. I do think people are over estimating the difference Vulkan will make for AMD, Nvidia is still in the process of optimizing drivers to take advantage of Vulkan/DX12 type features.

People are also lumping in the performance gains from Shader Intrinsic Functions in Doom with Vulkan. SIF isn't a part of any API, it bypasses API's as an even more to the metal coding method similar to consoles. It's part of the GPUOpen initiative AMD just started up to promote more console like coding on PC. From what I can tell, Nvidia should be able to support SIF as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Frostbyte: yes (already has mantle)
Unreal: yes* (UE4 supports vulkan right now as a simple compile time option, but only as the mobile render path)
Unity: eventually. DX12 is already in Beta but Vulkan is still in "research"
Bethesda games using iD Tech: yes (will they actually use this in house for more games in 2017? Who knows!)

Between those that's "a lot" of games but maybe more 2018 than 2017.

edit: but as ^^^^ people said, relying on DX12/Vulkan to be a big win for AMD for years to come is questionable.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

From what I can tell, Nvidia should be able to support SIF as well.
Does it use any of the stuff that nvidia has put roadblocks across to keep the Compute reliant on $$$$ hardware?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Beautiful Ninja posted:

From what I can tell, Nvidia should be able to support SIF as well.

It depends which intrinsics you're talking about. "Shader Intrinsic Functions" isn't a distinct feature, it's just a collective name for a random pile of low-level architecture tricks that can't be leveraged from vendor-agnostic APIs.

AFAIK Nvidia have fairly close equivalents to GCNs thread shuffling intrinsics, but NV don't expose them to Vulkan yet, and they have no equivalent to the GCN barycentric coordinates intrinsics.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

These 1060s look like they dont need any PCI power.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63114

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX63115

fake edit: Nvm, single 6 pin needed.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I have to use DDU to update nvidia drivers because the Maxwell series has a rare but consistent hilarious multi-display bug that makes the drivers poo poo themselves when updating while using multi-monitor :downsgun:

Never had this issue on my 750TI w/3 monitors.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mango sentinel posted:

480 squeezed out like 15-20% more frames with Vulkan than 1060 iirc. Stuff like that, and potential for upgrading with Crossfire down the road, $50 cheaper and maybe buying a freesync monitor are what's got me waffling still.

All valid stuff.

Has there been any other testing with Vulkan outside of Doom but on that same scale? I read that async compute is actually turned off for Nvidia cards for Doom still and there is performance there to be had with 1000 series cards

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
edit woops double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Has there been any other testing with Vulkan outside of Doom but on that same scale? I read that async compute is actually turned off for Nvidia cards for Doom still and there is performance there to be had with 1000 series cards

The only other shipping Vulkan games are Dota 2 and The Talos Principle, but they're both mediocre ports.

Really though there's no reason to single out Vulkan, it should perform the same as DX12 with all other factors being equal. Just treat them as two sides of the same coin.