Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
i can't figure out how to
This poll is closed.
remove 69 3.49%
the 420 21.24%
poll 1488 75.27%
Total: 1977 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

emdash posted:

for what definition of domestic?

i'm going to assume domestic mass market and then shrug because they're all pretty much the same as far as i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

paranoid randroid posted:

racism is not an indelible facet of the proletariat but at the same time i dont think its like people are being fooled into being racist and, upon being fed the proper nam-shub, will slap their foreheads and go "jeepers, ive been such a doofus this whole time!"

not to mention, a lot of white working class communities in the US were racist as gently caress even when they had jobs and stability and upward mobility

if working class communities are less racist now, it's because the working class is much more diverse today than it was in the 50s or whatnot

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

emdash posted:

for what definition of domestic?

I think he means macrobrew

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Disinterested posted:

It also doesn't help that we're talking about the most I'll educated section of society as well. Factor in that the closest correlate with voting in the referendum was degree having or not

Believing in capital punishment was actually closer

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
what is the point of hating poles vs literally any slavic people

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i mean thats like hating the irish in the year 2016

*glances at map and remembers im talking about the english*

oh, right. well, carry on then.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i mean with a gun to my head i would call natural ice the best domestic mass market beer b/c it was the cheapest available when i was in my early 20s

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

if racism was some kind of constant factor in people's voting patterns, one would presumably see relatively constant tendencies in voting for racist parties and constant levels of rejection of e.g. immigration and such, which is simply not the case

in germany, for historical, economic and social reasons, there was no viable right-wing populist party until the economy completely exploded, which one would expect if the thesis "a certain percentage of the majority population (conveniently mostly the working class) are racists and will vote based on that racism at any given time" were correct

this has little to do with condescending moralisin and much more to do with giving people some kind of constructive agency and dignity in their lives. a major problem, of course, is that if one empowers the white working class as-is they'll enact a ton of disgusting poo poo and so a certain kind of elitism is necessary, which will inevitably breed even more resentment...

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

what throws me is the level of bigotry against the polish

like, who has time to actually hate the polish? its one thing to make pollack jokes, but to feel actual hatred?

Poles are more close to model minority in the uk relative to perfidious unskilled gypsy labour

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

what throws me is the level of bigotry against the polish

like, who has time to actually hate the polish? its one thing to make pollack jokes, but to feel actual hatred?

It's proof of god and that he likes being an ironic dick.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

i mean thats like hating the irish in the year 2016

*glances at map and remembers im talking about the english*

oh, right. well, carry on then.

lol

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Lotka Volterra posted:

the unfortunate poles have an affliction of germanism

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Lotka Volterra posted:

This documentary will explain.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

UberJew posted:

i mean with a gun to my head i would call natural ice the best domestic mass market beer b/c it was the cheapest available when i was in my early 20s

more a beer thirty ice man myself

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the historical way out of that was having the working class generate its own leading elites, but contemporary ideology and the death of the mass working class in the west has rendered that pretty much impossible so lol we're screwed

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lotka Volterra posted:

more a beer thirty ice man myself

You have beer thirty where you are?!?!

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Miller high life, 6.99 for a 12 pack, the champagne of beers

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

idgi is this comedy? is the joke all brits look the same?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i like yuengling quite a bit

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

if racism was some kind of constant factor in people's voting patterns, one would presumably see relatively constant tendencies in voting for racist parties and constant levels of rejection of e.g. immigration and such, which is simply not the case

tbh hold up, there's a big difference between racism and racism as a factor in people's voting patterns

you can only really combat racism by inoculating the young and hoping the next generation is less racist

you can combat racism playing into people's voting patterns much more easily, as germany and indeed britain had been successfully doing by disenfranchising them through marginalizing the people that speak to that

its not like people suddenly started spouting screeds about the immigrants and the romani recently, they just weren't allowed to vote for it

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
the last job will be automated and 12 people will control 95% of global wealth

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

emdash posted:

i like yuengling quite a bit

Yung Ling is good but you really need to drink it from a glass

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Arrgytehpirate posted:

idgi is this comedy?

Don't ask me, I'm not British.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
And by that I mean polish people tend toward being racist as gently caress. Though if it's more than the average whitey I don't know.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

hmmm interesting

Mr Hootington posted:

You have beer thirty where you are?!?!

nah, but I had it a couple times when I started college in Iowa

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

UberJew posted:

tbh hold up, there's a big difference between racism and racism as a factor in people's voting patterns

you can only really combat racism by inoculating the young and hoping the next generation is less racist

you can combat racism playing into people's voting patterns much more easily, as germany and indeed britain had been successfully doing by disenfranchising them through marginalizing the people that speak to that

its not like people suddenly started spouting screeds about the immigrants and the romani recently, they just weren't allowed to vote for it

ok so why is that strategy no longer effective

and why is the pattern so disturbingly similar throughout the western world

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Aeryk posted:

the last job will be automated and 12 people will control 95% of global wealth

the dumb scifi story i will never write is about the world after the AIs designed to run the finance industry even faster than ever have all merged, taken all wealth in the world and terminated every employee, job and revenue source b/c the overriding goal was just to acquire a greater piece of the pie

economic armageddon but not actual armageddon

as ever there's too much research involved for me to actually write it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

V. Illych L. posted:

because the left parties have been taken over by 3rd wayers who do not marginalizes the racists

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

Internet pretty much.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Wtf is "post-ideology leftism"?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Lotka Volterra posted:

Catholicism?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

obviously germany has had serious taboos re: right-wing populism since the war, and obviously the iraq war cratered british labour's moral authority, but how would you explain the rise of e.g. the swedish democrats, vlaams belang or front national under this analysis

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

obviously germany has had serious taboos re: right-wing populism since the war, and obviously the iraq war cratered british labour's moral authority, but how would you explain the rise of e.g. the swedish democrats, vlaams belang or front national under this analysis

Internet

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

dont forget the literal greek nazis. Uhhh, gold dawn?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/755842249208893442 smdh

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kristov posted:

Internet

please elaborate

pretty much the only things all the parties in question have in common are patriotic chauvinism and a base of working- and lower-middle class majority support

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Wtf is "post-ideology leftism"?

pfft, passe is what it is. im more into identitywave leftism these days, especially
にずぜVirTueSignaLs

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

Arrgytehpirate posted:

dont forget the literal greek nazis. Uhhh, gold dawn?

Golden Dawn, yeah.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Arrgytehpirate posted:

idgi is this comedy? is the joke all brits look the same?

Randler is a pile of feces given sapience by foul Teutonic sorcery, nothing he says should ever be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

because the global financial crisis demonstrated that globalization hadn't done a drat thing to protect anybody against the inevitable disasters of the business cycle

in the developing world that meant food crises and revolutions

in the west we get global trumpism, a reversion to populist demagoguery and fascism because that is the only alternative perspective allowed as part of the acceptable dialogue

• Locked thread